PDA

View Full Version : Sox: Worst Marketed Team in Baseball?

Clarkdog
03-06-2002, 11:49 AM
As someone who works in advertising and marketing I always cringe when I go to Comiskey and see the upper deck empty with a few fans scattered about. This was especially true in 2000, and even in 2001 when the Sox rallyed from a terrible start and through injuries. The Sox had a winner, granted they play second fiddle to the Cubs in the media, but they could not draw.

Now in 2002, the Sox are likely favorites to win the division, and barring a total meltdown, they should be a winner again. But if those seats aren't filled you have to look at marketing.

This team need to re-position itself in the Chicago baseball marketplace. Right now the position is based on the Sox maturing team and commitment to fearless hustling baseball - Come Ready to Play. But what credible team doesn't promise that anyway? That's about as effective as saying "We're a major league baseball team playing in your city, so you should come and see us play."

The Sox need an identity in the Chicago community. The Flubs already have many built in: Lovable Losers, the Wrigley Field Experience, etc. The Sox can have it too. But they have find a position that truly defines them and differentiates them from the Cubs. Because that is their competition in this market.

The Oakland A's do this well. As someone who once worked in the Bay Area, the A's plight is similar to the Sox. Through not as pronounced, they are the second baseball team in the Bay Area. The Giants first. But their marketing is great, and it gives them personality and a position in the Bay Area baseball community. Check these ads out, they are good.

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/oak/news/oak_news_story.jsp?article_id=oak_20020222_commer_ news&team_id=oak#

Also, you want to fill that upper tank? Give people a reason to come to see this team and want to sit there. Set up a weekday deal. All Sox Weekday homegames (except Friday) for $15 you get an upper deck seat with a hot dog and a beer/coke. That will bring families, people working in the loop during the week out to see this club. Giveaways are nice, but what people want is value. IMO, a seat with a lower net profit is better than and empty seat with no profit at all.

That is how you can build a wider fan base and greater fan support. Positioning and value. Anyway, I'm rambling. What do you all think? And if you could what types of things could the Sox do to get more people to the ballpark, besides winning?

voodoochile
03-06-2002, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Clarkdog
As someone who works in advertising and marketing I always cringe when I go to Comiskey and see the upper deck empty with a few fans scattered about. This was especially true in 2000, and even in 2001 when the Sox rallyed from a terrible start and through injuries. The Sox had a winner, granted they play second fiddle to the Cubs in the media, but they could not draw.

Now in 2002, the Sox are likely favorites to win the division, and barring a total meltdown, they should be a winner again. But if those seats aren't filled you have to look at marketing.

This team need to re-position itself in the Chicago baseball marketplace. Right now the position is based on the Sox maturing team and commitment to fearless hustling baseball - Come Ready to Play. But what credible team doesn't promise that anyway? That's about as effective as saying "We're a major league baseball team playing in your city, so you should come and see us play."

The Sox need an identity in the Chicago community. The Flubs already have many built in: Lovable Losers, the Wrigley Field Experience, etc. The Sox can have it too. But they have find a position that truly defines them and differentiates them from the Cubs. Because that is their competition in this market.

The Oakland A's do this well. As someone who once worked in the Bay Area, the A's plight is similar to the Sox. Through not as pronounced, they are the second baseball team in the Bay Area. The Giants first. But their marketing is great, and it gives them personality and a position in the Bay Area baseball community. Check these ads out, they are good.

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/oak/news/oak_news_story.jsp?article_id=oak_20020222_commer_ news&team_id=oak#

Also, you want to fill that upper tank? Give people a reason to come to see this team and want to sit there. Set up a weekday deal. All Sox Weekday homegames (except Friday) for $15 you get an upper deck seat with a hot dog and a beer/coke. That will bring families, people working in the loop during the week out to see this club. Giveaways are nice, but what people want is value. IMO, a seat with a lower net profit is better than and empty seat with no profit at all.

That is how you can build a wider fan base and greater fan support. Positioning and value. Anyway, I'm rambling. What do you all think? And if you could what types of things could the Sox do to get more people to the ballpark, besides winning?

PHG is going to love your post...

I've got a suggestion for how to differentiate us from the flubbies.

Hire a bunch of strippers to wear bikinis and masquerade as fans while sitting in the stands during this summer. Then get lots of footage of them for commercials using the tag line - "White Sox Baseball - It's all about the game." The commercials could jump back and forth between the women and shots of the Sox making great plays.

Other possibilities include:

"It's all about scoring" - intermingle the shots of the scantily clad women with shots of guys crossing home.

"It's all about winning" - show shots of guys talking to the babes and intermingle with shots of post game celebrations (the High fives as they walk off the field).

If the idea of strippers offend, they could just give discounts to anyone who wears a bikini to the game...

Yeah, the bikini clad women would be similar to the flubbies marketing efforts (beer, babes and sunshine), but the taglines have a delicious double meaning.

The Sox have to get back in the game with young 20 something singles. They have an excellent family marketing plan. They market well to current Sox supporters, but they need to draw the casual fan.

Besides, how much would it cost to hire some fan ringers - cute girls and guys - to hang out and agree to appear in commercials. For the price of empty seats and $100/game, they could attract a lot of talent. 30 people ought to do it and that would only be $24,300 for the whole season. The film would be shot during the game - one extra camera man to walk around the park filming the different pockets of ringers - then edit together and bingo - all year marketing for around $50K...

Paulwny
03-06-2002, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
[B

The Sox have to get back in the game with young 20 something singles. They have an excellent family marketing plan. They market well to current Sox supporters, but they need to draw the casual fan.
[/B]

Totally agree.

Clarkdog
03-06-2002, 12:31 PM
Hey, I love it. Sex sells, and nothing could bring in the casual 20 something fan around like some of your ideas. Maybe a litte risque for a baseball, but I love the double entendres.

moochpuppy
03-06-2002, 12:39 PM

Hire a bunch of strippers to wear bikinis and masquerade as fans while sitting in the stands during this summer. Then get lots of footage of them for commercials using the tag line - "White Sox Baseball - It's all about the game." The commercials could jump back and forth between the women and shots of the Sox making great plays.

"It's all about scoring" - intermingle the shots of the scantily clad women with shots of guys crossing home.

"It's all about winning" - show shots of guys talking to the babes and intermingle with shots of post game celebrations (the High fives as they walk off the field).

If the idea of strippers offend, they could just give discounts to anyone who wears a bikini to the game...

Yeah, the bikini clad women would be similar to the flubbies marketing efforts (beer, babes and sunshine), but the taglines have a delicious double meaning.

Besides, how much would it cost to hire some fan ringers - cute girls and guys - to hang out and agree to appear in commercials. For the price of empty seats and $100/game, they could attract a lot of talent. 30 people ought to do it and that would only be $24,300 for the whole season. The film would be shot during the game - one extra camera man to walk around the park filming the different pockets of ringers - then edit together and bingo - all year marketing for around $50K...

I totally agree that the whole Sox marketing department should be replaced but come on Voodoo.......are you trying to give Comiskey an XFL feel?

Iwritecode
03-06-2002, 12:41 PM

I like PHG's idea with the upper deck better. Give the seats away! It's not like anyone sits in them anyway and the concessions and parking alone would help. Then maybe they can draw more casual fans and the next time they come to the park, they might want to pay for some better seats.

moochpuppy
03-06-2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

I like PHG's idea with the upper deck better. Give the seats away! It's not like anyone sits in them anyway and the concessions and parking alone would help. Then maybe they can draw more casual fans and the next time they come to the park, they might want to pay for some better seats.

The Twins do something very similar to this. For $10 you in as general addmission and set anywhere in those sections along with a hot dog and coke. It has been very successful, especially with students coming across the river from U of M.

Lisa
03-06-2002, 12:50 PM

For every cute chick who wears a bikini to the game, 10 fat or ugly ones will. I don't know about you, but I'm thinking that's a bad thing. (And for the record, no, I won't torture anyone by showing up in a bikini.)

That's all a little TOO much like Wrigley, voodoochile. I don't want to sit in an albeit full park with a bunch of people on their cellphones trying to pick each other up. I'd like to sit in a full ballpark of people who actually want to watch baseball. Te only way that's going to happen is if the upper deck is made more attractive (remodeling, pricing, or whatever) and the Sox have a good team that will continue to win for several years.

Clarkdog
03-06-2002, 01:05 PM

A good thought, but you are giving the product away then. Whay pay for a better seat, when I can get in for free buy a hot dog, and move down to the lower deck.

Iwritecode
03-06-2002, 01:17 PM
A good thought, but you are giving the product away then. Whay pay for a better seat, when I can get in for free buy a hot dog, and move down to the lower deck.

Because I would rather give away a seat and get your $20 from the parking and $5-$10 for food and drink than not have you show up at all and get no money. I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to get the security guys to watch and make sure people are moving down to the lower decks.

Paulwny
03-06-2002, 01:18 PM

What's the incentive to discount tickets when:

The Sox pay the state $2.50 for every ticket from 1.2 to 2 million, yet the team also gets back $5 million a year for stadium repairs and maintenance. In addition, the state buys 300,000 tickets if attendance drops below 1.5 after the year 2001, so in actuality, Reinsdorf got public funds to build his stadium and subsidies to guarantee its profitability.

cheeses_h_rice
03-06-2002, 01:27 PM

No offense, but that's a terrible idea. I would hope the Sox would be able to find some way to attract 20-somethings without resorting to strippers and/or "planted" beautiful people.

duke of dorwood
03-06-2002, 01:28 PM
We need Vince McMahon

voodoochile
03-06-2002, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Lisa

For every cute chick who wears a bikini to the game, 10 fat or ugly ones will. I don't know about you, but I'm thinking that's a bad thing. (And for the record, no, I won't torture anyone by showing up in a bikini.)

That's all a little TOO much like Wrigley, voodoochile. I don't want to sit in an albeit full park with a bunch of people on their cellphones trying to pick each other up. I'd like to sit in a full ballpark of people who actually want to watch baseball. Te only way that's going to happen is if the upper deck is made more attractive (remodeling, pricing, or whatever) and the Sox have a good team that will continue to win for several years.

You think guys care? You put women in scanty clothing, guys will show up. Some guys even prefer "fat, ugly women".

Look, the team needs to draw more people. That is a fact. So long as they bring their money, I don't care who comes to the games. I would love to have 30K+/game at the park and know that the team can afford to spend more money as a result. That is the bottom line. Fans = money and money = winning (theoretically). My idea was intended to be mostly in jest. Still, the Sox have to do something to bring in singles with disposable income - families only have so much money they can spend and there is tons of competition for the family dollar. Get the people through the gate who are looking for the a good time at a sporting event. Feed them beer, show them a winner and they will come back, but first you have to get them through the door...

duke of dorwood
03-06-2002, 01:36 PM
2 Words

FREE PARKING

Clarkdog
03-06-2002, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
2 Words

FREE PARKING

That's a great idea. That is a value to a casual fan of baseball. You say to a fan, if you can get here, all you need to do is buy a ticket and enjoy.

Iwritecode
03-06-2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
What's the incentive to discount tickets when:

The Sox pay the state $2.50 for every ticket from 1.2 to 2 million, yet the team also gets back $5 million a year for stadium repairs and maintenance. In addition, the state buys 300,000 tickets if attendance drops below 1.5 after the year 2001, so in actuality, Reinsdorf got public funds to build his stadium and subsidies to guarantee its profitability.

And therein lies the whole problem. We all know how bad our attendance is and we all come up with these ideas on how to increase it while JR sits and makes money no matter how many people show up to the park. We all hear about how winning is his number 1 priority but sometimes you have to wonder which comes first in his mind, money or winning? It almost sounds like the Tribune Co. They know they'll turn a profit no matter what garbage they throw on the field. Especially if it's really cheap garbage. So I guess the only thing left to do is just win. Then keep on winning. The players complain about the small crowds they had in 2000 but yet we set a record for biggest increase in ticket sales from the previous year for a team that didn't get a new staduim. The only team that had a bigger increase was the M's. So the old cliche' is true, if you win, they will come. Allbeit not quite as fast as we would expect but it will happen. If only the team can stay competitive for 4-5 years in a row...

PaleHoseGeorge
03-06-2002, 02:22 PM

LOL! What you don't know is "Clarkdog" is my alias!

:)

:reinsy
"A 'first-class organization' doesn't discount tickets. I can make more political hay (and thus money) out of acres of empty blue seats, than passing out free hotdogs to fill them. I am the ultimate cynic."

:KW
"Hi, I'm Chairman Reinsdorf's talking doll. Our payroll is too big. Our payroll is too big. Our payroll is too big. Our payroll is too big. Our... (ad infinitum)..."

duke of dorwood
03-06-2002, 03:23 PM
You have it-Cabbage Patch Ken Williams doll day

:KW

A handsome doll it is

SoxRulecubsdrool
03-06-2002, 04:46 PM
:gulp:
As a proud southsider who grew up pounding on cub fans how about the new campaign of
"Our fans can beat up your fans"

Good Guys Wear Black!

:gulp:

Vader!

Foulke You
03-06-2002, 05:17 PM
I liked the A's campaign because I believe it markets the PLAYERS and their personalities. Let's face it. The Sox are a faceless bunch in this town besides the Big Hurt and too often his face is portrayed as grumpy one. The casual Chicago baseball fan probably doesn't know who Keith Foulke or Magglio Ordonez is. Look at when the Sox were filling the seats in the early '90s. They had great humor filled commercials with Robin Ventura (the rockin' robin ads were good), Ozzie Guillen, Jack McDowell, even the "pope" Donn Pall and the "Deacon" Warren Newson had a TV spot. The Good Guys in Black was a great campaign. I'm sure the stadium being new and the Sox winning had a lot to do with it but back then people actually knew the Sox players. This is not so anymore. All they market is the hard nosed "fearless" baseball aspect and Jerry Manuel gets WAY too much camera time over the players. The Sox have a lot of great personalities like Valentin, Foulke, Konerko, and Carlos to market if they would only choose to do so.

:kelly
This face was meant for TV!!

Cheryl
03-06-2002, 05:25 PM
We all hear about how winning is his number 1 priority but sometimes you have to wonder which comes first in his mind, money or winning?

Sometimes? All the time.

Lisa
03-06-2002, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I liked the A's campaign because I believe it markets the PLAYERS and their personalities. Let's face it. The Sox are a faceless bunch in this town besides the Big Hurt and too often his face is portrayed as grumpy one. The casual Chicago baseball fan probably doesn't know who Keith Foulke or Magglio Ordonez is. Look at when the Sox were filling the seats in the early '90s. They had great humor filled commercials with Robin Ventura (the rockin' robin ads were good), Ozzie Guillen, Jack McDowell, even the "pope" Donn Pall and the "Deacon" Warren Newson had a TV spot. The Good Guys in Black was a great campaign. I'm sure the stadium being new and the Sox winning had a lot to do with it but back then people actually knew the Sox players. This is not so anymore. All they market is the hard nosed "fearless" baseball aspect and Jerry Manuel gets WAY too much camera time over the players. The Sox have a lot of great personalities like Valentin, Foulke, Konerko, and Carlos to market if they would only choose to do so.

Excellent points. Part of marketing is name recognition, and if all people hear is sammysammysammy, that's all they'll pay attention to. The team is relatively young, personable, and very marketable. I don't understand why the Sox don't take advantage of that. Certainly the last few ad campaigns have been pretty crappy.

bc2k
03-07-2002, 02:17 AM

Because I would rather give away a seat and get your $20 from the parking and $5-$10 for food and drink than not have you show up at all and get no money. I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to get the security guys to watch and make sure people are moving down to the lower decks.

Or you could make all upper deck seats 5 dollars only when the lower bowl is sold-out. Hell, sell those seats for 1 dollar.

voodoochile
03-07-2002, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by bc2k

Or you could make all upper deck seats 5 dollars only when the lower bowl is sold-out. Hell, sell those seats for 1 dollar.

That would be the wrong time to do it. When the lower deck is sold out, that is when people actually are sitting upstairs.

Drop the price for weeknight games or M-W. Except during big series (NY, Toons, Minnesota, etc.)

PaleHoseGeorge
03-07-2002, 02:58 PM

That would be the wrong time to do it. When the lower deck is sold out, that is when people actually are sitting upstairs.

Drop the price for weeknight games or M-W. Except during big series (NY, Toons, Minnesota, etc.)

Okay, here's an example of where I'm offering constructive suggestions to HELP the Sox. This is in answer to Cz's request from yesterday.

As a marketer, the last option you want to employ is cutting your price. Granted, the upper deck is empty and you have to do something to fix it.

Constructive idea: instead of cutting the price to the general public, make a huge block of UD seats available to your best customers: the corporations and family businesses that bought full-price season tickets or Diamond Suites.

Benefit: you can use this as a perk to get more companies in buying season tickets (THAT ought to be your #1 priority) and saves you from cheapening your product. The face value of the tickets remains unchanged; only your best customers got them for a deep discount.

Thus you're encouraging even more loyalty amongst the pool of customers who are most-important to you: your season ticketholders and corporate supporters. They'll offer these seats free to employees, clients, and others in the general community: like school kids and youth groups. Thus overall attendance goes up--and you've got more people inside the ballpark who might come back and buy their own ticket next time.

Simple, isn't it?

:gallas
"I'm taking notes on all of this... no dogs or flying Elvises are involved..."

bc2k
03-08-2002, 01:41 AM

I kind of agree with the first statement. I can see both opinions.

But definately drop the prices of the upper deck for games against the Twins and Indians. I like to attend games where the sox play against division threats, but it seems no one else does. The players would love huge crowds especially for games against Cleveland and Minnesota.

MikeKreevich
03-08-2002, 08:22 AM
In 2002, is radio still a important marketing tool? I know that much of the Cub's attendance is made up of fans bused in from all over the midwest. The cub's built a fan base over the years on WGN TV, especially with their day games, however radio still is important.
I routinely drive to mid and southern Illinois and I cannot hear the White Sox broadcast on the radio. No radio station south of Chicago picks up the brodcast. I can, if I cared to, listen to several different stations airing cub games and many Cardinal games. AM 1000 has a weak signal and on a good day can be heard clearly about 150 miles.
I believe better radio marketing would bring more buses.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-08-2002, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
I kind of agree with the first statement. I can see both opinions.

But definately drop the prices of the upper deck for games against the Twins and Indians. I like to attend games where the sox play against division threats, but it seems no one else does. The players would love huge crowds especially for games against Cleveland and Minnesota.

This won't work. If the Sox did this, fans would rightly complain that Reinsdorf is gouging them for less than soldout games against the Yankees, Red Sox, and others. Please remember, JR was accused of exactly this, without raising prices, for the Cubs series' multi-game purchase requirement.

Changing the price of any seat should be your last resort, not your first option. Lower your price, and you've cheapened your product--end of story.

Make discounts available to your best customers, those who bought season tickets. You encourage loyalty and build your season ticket base--which is all you should care about in the first place.

More constructive ideas from WSI that aren't negative. Where's the beef?

Paulwny
03-08-2002, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Guzman's Goat
In 2002, is radio still a important marketing tool? I know that much of the Cub's attendance is made up of fans bused in from all over the midwest. The cub's built a fan base over the years on WGN TV, especially with their day games, however radio still is important.
I routinely drive to mid and southern Illinois and I cannot hear the White Sox broadcast on the radio. No radio station south of Chicago picks up the brodcast. I can, if I cared to, listen to several different stations airing cub games and many Cardinal games. AM 1000 has a weak signal and on a good day can be heard clearly about 150 miles.
I believe better radio marketing would bring more buses.

Last summer someone posted about AM1000 and lack of reception. Although I can't receive the signal during the day, at sun down the signal comes in loud and clear until ~ 1am EST.
When I was a kid with a little portable I was also able to pick-up WCFL, which is now ESPN am1000.
They must beam toward the east.

fado
03-08-2002, 10:29 AM
I would have to think that the Sox have three great marketing ploys. Half-price mondays, fireworks on saturday, and kids day on sundays. I'm always amazed at how full the park is on a monday.

Now to make some changes and bring people on different days of the week. Make the u/d reserve seats a buck, and the u/d box seats five bucks.

Next why don't they include thursdays in the half-price tix nights. There are alot of thurs afternoon games and its alot easier getting through friday after drinking all night then it is on a saturday. And market those thurs games to the 20 somethings.

Show the bar, show the younger players, show younger fans.

And you know what...I hate to admit it, but remember that guy that use to perform on the dugouts during the 2000 season. He was kind of annoying, but it was funny to watch the vendors get on top of the dugouts doing the YMCA.

Plus, I think the Sox should do something on friday nights. Market Comiskey as a place to start your night. 70's night, singles night, hairy ass day...I don't know but come up with soething gor every friday game to make it a reason to come to the park.

Paulwny
03-08-2002, 02:29 PM
The sox marketing team must work part time in Miami. Their new slogan is "It's Time To Play".

bc2k
03-08-2002, 03:30 PM
Does anybody remember a few years back, a promotion who could kiss the longest? I would go to that.

I say the problem starts from the outside in. Clean up the surrounding area ghettos. I don't want to see liquor store after liquor store coming out of the park. And I feel real safe leaving my car parked in that church parking lot.

The Sox already have a loyal fan base who attend regularly. They need to get the younger fair-weather fans who go to Wrigley for the atmosphere. If the Sox can swing them away with a slogan like, "We don't stop selling beer after the seventh because Sox fan can hold their liquor better." Let the Sox fans drink through the ninth. I don't want to sit next to Wrigley yuppies, but if they bring in the money to allow KW to aquire that mid-season veteran, then I can put up with them. With a ghetto surrounding the park, it is harder to attrack the dinks (dual income, no kids) sector of the population.

Or maybe a slogan like, "Yeah we're surrounded by ghetto, but wouldn't you rather have your car stolen than be groped by Hank from boys town?" "We thought so too."

AsInWreck
03-08-2002, 04:34 PM
I disagree w/ the contention that lowering UD prices cheapens the product. The D'backs, for example, have 2 sections in the UD where the tickets are ONE DOLLAR, obviously the worst seats in the house, but any bum or kid can come up w/ that to see a game. And most of the upper deck seats are around 6 bucks, but people still pay for the 50 dollar seats behind home plate/ I think people like the d'backs more as a result, because they feel that the games are accessible to anyone.
If the sox did the same I think it would improve the product w/out a doubt-what better way to create a new fan base than to make it affordable for 12 year old neighborhood kids to go to a game?