PDA

View Full Version : Boston media screams "Get Rid of Manny NOW"

Fenway
11-22-2006, 09:53 AM
Both Boston papers have columns today telling the Red Sox to trade Manny now.

I myself think he is gone after quiting on the team the last 6 weeks. But where?

Show Manny the door -- Time’s right for Red Sox
(http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=168367)By Gerry Callahan
We may never know why he wants out of a city that worships him

DAN SHAUGHNESSY (http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/shaughnessy/)
Time to move Manny (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/11/22/sox_should_make_move_on_manny)

Rats. I was pretty sure Manny Ramírez was going to win the MVP award. Too bad he was topped by winner Justin Morneau, runner-up Derek Jeter, David Ortiz, and an ensemble cast of American League worthies.

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/File-Based_Image_Resource/dingbat_arrow_icon.gif Market on Ramirez evolving (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/11/21/market_favors_a_ramrez_deal)

Mr.1Dog
11-22-2006, 09:56 AM
Both Boston papers have columns today telling the Red Sox to trade Manny now. I myself think he is gone after quiting on the team the last 6 weeks. But where?

The Northside? Why not give him a 3 year deal at 51 million per?

Domeshot17
11-22-2006, 10:00 AM
david ortiz is really going to miss him.

Fenway
11-22-2006, 10:01 AM
The Northside? Why not give him a 3 year deal at 51 million per?

He is only due to get $17 million the next 2 years and in this market that is now "reasonable" after what the Cubs gave Soriano.

Of all the big contract signings you can make a case that only Albert Pujols and Manny have delivered. Funny thing is I think he would be great for the White Sox because Ozzie would never let him get away with crap like Francoma does.

DaveIsHere
11-22-2006, 10:11 AM
Don't they scream this every year in the NE during the offseason?

Fenway
11-22-2006, 10:14 AM
Don't they scream this every year in the NE during the offseason?

Not this loudly Boston still had a chance the last 6 weeks to compete for the wild card but without Manny they were dead. He wasn't injured he just didn't want to play.

He will not be on the Red Sox in 2007.

Sox It To Em
11-22-2006, 10:48 AM
He will not be on the Red Sox in 2007.

To be quite honest, I'll believe it when I see it.

chisoxmike
11-22-2006, 10:56 AM
Manny being Manny.:rolleyes:

You know what, you all want Manny gone, but when he hits a solo home run when the Red Sox are up by 10, stares at the ball from the batters box, undoes his batting gloves, everyone in Fenway Park creams themselves and acts like they just have won the World Series.

Cuck_The_Fubs
11-22-2006, 10:58 AM
to be quite honest, I'll believe it when I see it.
I really don't like this Manny guy. He doesn't have a team spirit, and he never acts as a team player.

Cuck_The_Fubs
11-22-2006, 10:59 AM

You know what, you all want Manny gone, but when he hits a solo home run when the Red Sox are up by 10, stares at the ball from the batters box, undoes his batting gloves, everyone in Fenway Park creams themselves and acts like they just have won the World Series.

Exactly:smile:

palehozenychicty
11-22-2006, 10:59 AM

Exactly. Which is why he ain't going nowhere. The team, city, and Manny got each other by the pair. Til death do them apart. :rolleyes:

Fenway
11-22-2006, 11:12 AM

I will admit that is the way it was for most of the 6 years he has been here, but what happened at the end of 2006 changed things. Theo has never wanted him and now his contract isn't that bad. Manny will probably wind up in Anaheim.

But Ortiz will miss him no doubt.

thedudeabides
11-22-2006, 11:19 AM
I will admit that is the way it was for most of the 6 years he has been here, but what happened at the end of 2006 changed things. Theo has never wanted him and now his contract isn't that bad. Manny will probably wind up in Anaheim.

Does this remind anyone else of a similar saga slightly north of here? Although, Manny can still hit.

wdelaney72
11-22-2006, 02:29 PM

I have to agree with Fenway... it's hard to believe, but last year's behavior down the stretch was WAY worse than any of the other crap he's pulled. It will be interesting to see how much contract Boston is forced to eat to send him away.

Ol' No. 2
11-22-2006, 05:10 PM
He is only due to get $17 million the next 2 years and in this market that is now "reasonable" after what the Cubs gave Soriano.

Of all the big contract signings you can make a case that only Albert Pujols and Manny have delivered. Funny thing is I think he would be great for the White Sox because Ozzie would never let him get away with crap like Francoma does.mlb4u.com has it listed as $18M and $20M, with $4M deferred (with interest) each year. Still, you make a good point. It's only a few million more than what the idiots up north are paying for Soriano.

Trav
11-22-2006, 10:12 PM
Some Red Sox fans excluded, I think Boston as the kind of place that will whine about having Ramirez still on the team while complaining that Epstine didn't try hard enough for Bonds. Just my opinion though.

StillMissOzzie
11-24-2006, 04:55 AM
mlb4u.com has it listed as $18M and $20M, with $4M deferred (with interest) each year. Still, you make a good point. It's only a few million more than what the idiots up north are paying for Soriano.

My MLB contract source shows something slightly different. Manny is due $3M in deferred comp from 2001 and $4M in deferred comp for years 2002-2008 (total deferred comp = $31M), to be paid out in annual installments of $1.94M in years 2011 through 2026 (which, incidentally, implies no interest, since that sums to $31.04M).

My point here is that there is $31M in deferred comp due Manny, not just the $4M/year for the next 2 years. Maybe Boston has already funded the deferred comp of $23M for service years 2001-2006, or I'd think that they'll be expected to eat a bigger share of his contract.

SMO
:gulp:

fquaye149
11-24-2006, 08:56 AM
Some Red Sox fans excluded, I think Boston as the kind of place that will whine about having Ramirez still on the team while complaining that Epstine didn't try hard enough for Bonds. Just my opinion though.

And Manny never even cheated.

I feel for these Red Sox guys...I feel awful they can't unload Manny....

I also wish they got rid of that clubhouse cancer Teddy Williams. No one liked that *******....at least not until after he retired.

And I know they were all really happy when Pedro walked. After all they went on to lose badly in the ALDS the next year because of having no pitching...but at least Pedro and his midget weren't there cancering the clubhouse

Fenway
11-24-2006, 10:16 AM
For what it is worth Gammons says 4 teams have contacted Boston about Manny

Anaheim, Texas, Philadelphia and the team that plays on W 35th Street :?:

Brian26
11-24-2006, 10:31 AM
For what it is worth Gammons says 4 teams have contacted Boston about Manny

Anaheim, Texas, Philadelphia and the team that plays on W 35th Street :?:

My gut says that Ramirez would come here to DH and would never see anytime in LF. I have a feeling that Thome could be/would be moved.

ewokpelts
11-24-2006, 10:57 AM
And Manny never even cheated.

I feel for these Red Sox guys...I feel awful they can't unload Manny....

I also wish they got rid of that clubhouse cancer Teddy Williams. No one liked that *******....at least not until after he retired.

And I know they were all really happy when Pedro walked. After all they went on to lose badly in the ALDS the next year because of having no pitching...but at least Pedro and his midget weren't there cancering the clubhousewot? no teal?

fquaye149
11-24-2006, 01:13 PM
wot? no teal?

I'm not sure if I'm serious or not.

I like to pretend to be a lot more ironic than I actually am