PDA

View Full Version : Sweeney in 2 hole

bigredrudy
11-21-2006, 02:01 PM
Its beginning to look like Pods is coming back and Sweeney might win the center field job. If that is the case, I like Sweeney in the 2 hole hitting behind Scott. Ryan appears to be coming on as a hitter. In the Il he hit better in the second hal and most of his power came in the second half. He had almost a 400 OBP percentage in the VEnezuelan League. He is a contact hitterand does not strike out very much. I am sure Scott would prefer a lefthanded hitter hitting behind him as it should enhance his ability to steal. Then you could move Iguchi to the 7th or 8th spot. By the way Ryan's contact ability will enhance the ability to hit and run with him. In the late innings you could play Anderson in center and move Sweeney to left. Against lefthanders you would play Anderson and possibly Ozuna with Iguchi moving up to the 2 hole. Ryan's defense in center does not look all that bad and it is probably better than you know who. And Ryan has a strong throwing arm. One of the good reasons for playing Ryan is that it might give you a preview of what you might have if Dye left.

Ol' No. 2
11-21-2006, 02:02 PM
No.

You don't put a raw rookie in the #2 slot.

DumpJerry
11-21-2006, 02:02 PM
Its beginning to look like Sweeney might win the center field job.
What are you basing this on?

lakeviewsoxfan
11-21-2006, 02:10 PM
:bong:

Mighty fine stuff you must have smoked

Goose
11-21-2006, 02:15 PM
Sweeney might win the center field job.

Why on earth do people think that BA is going to disappear into the abyss? He is an excellent Center Fielder...he was a ROOK last year. I do recall a certain Robin Ventura that had a not so great 1st year with the bat...seems to me he turned out OK.

Brian is going to get his swing straightened out. He will. Why must we keep rehashing this?

Unless BA is moved to another team, he is our starting Center Fielder.

dickallen15
11-21-2006, 02:21 PM
How can it be concluded that Pods is coming back? The season doesn't start for 4 1/2 months, most of the free agents haven't signed and the winter meetings have yet to be held. Patience.

chisoxmike
11-21-2006, 02:45 PM
Its beginning to look like Pods is coming back and Sweeney might win the center field job. If that is the case, I like Sweeney in the 2 hole hitting behind Scott. Ryan appears to be coming on as a hitter. In the Il he hit better in the second hal and most of his power came in the second half. He had almost a 400 OBP percentage in the VEnezuelan League. He is a contact hitterand does not strike out very much. I am sure Scott would prefer a lefthanded hitter hitting behind him as it should enhance his ability to steal. Then you could move Iguchi to the 7th or 8th spot. By the way Ryan's contact ability will enhance the ability to hit and run with him. In the late innings you could play Anderson in center and move Sweeney to left. Against lefthanders you would play Anderson and possibly Ozuna with Iguchi moving up to the 2 hole. Ryan's defense in center does not look all that bad and it is probably better than you know who. And Ryan has a strong throwing arm. One of the good reasons for playing Ryan is that it might give you a preview of what you might have if Dye left.

:?:

chisoxmike
11-21-2006, 02:46 PM

And that's how is should be!

:supernana:

bigredrudy
11-21-2006, 02:52 PM
How can it be concluded that Pods is coming back? The season doesn't start for 4 1/2 months, most of the free agents haven't signed and the winter meetings have yet to be held. Patience.
With Mathews and Roberts gone to other teams there is not much to trade for. If Roberts would sign with us, I still like Sweeney in the 2 hole. There is not much out there. I've gone through the rosters of the 30 teams and there is not much that would be available. I challenge to name a likely pickup via trade.

chisoxmike
11-21-2006, 02:56 PM
I would be shocked and pissed if Sweeney started next year. I'd rather have Pods in LF for one more year if that is going to be the deal.

Huisj
11-21-2006, 02:58 PM

I thought the same thing. "It's beginning to look like . . . "

Wait a minute, it's November 21. It's beginning to look like the Hot Stove league is just warming up, and there's tons of time left for lots of things to happen. And beyond off season moves, there's still spring training to go through. Where does this idea of Sweeney hitting #2 come from?

lakeviewsoxfan
11-21-2006, 02:59 PM
With Mathews and Roberts gone to other teams there is not much to trade for. If Roberts would sign with us, I still like Sweeney in the 2 hole. There is not much out there. I've gone through the rosters of the 30 teams and there is not much that would be available. I challenge to name a likely pickup via trade.

Carl Crawford

maurice
11-21-2006, 03:02 PM
Oh ye of little faith, it's only November 21st.

How soon you forget the roundhouse-kicking, under-the-radar prowess of KW.

bigredrudy
11-21-2006, 03:12 PM
Carl Crawford
You would not get Carl Crawford unless you include McCarthy in a package and I am not even sure you would get him then.

thomas35forever
11-21-2006, 03:12 PM
1) BA is our CF, like it or not

2) It's not even Thanksgiving and you already think the offseason's over? Gimmie a ****ing break.

bigredrudy
11-21-2006, 03:14 PM
Oh ye of little faith, it's only November 21st.

How soon you forget the roundhouse-kicking, under-the-radar prowess of KW.
I challenge you to name someone we could realistically get for what we have to offer-without trading Crede or McCarthy.

DumpJerry
11-21-2006, 03:15 PM
Then you could move Iguchi to the 7th or 8th spot.
No. No. No.
One more time: No.

BTW, no.

Lip Man 1
11-21-2006, 03:19 PM
Sweeney doesn't even have 50 at bats vs. big league pitching and you want to put him in the difficult and responsible #2 spot in the batting order?

:?:

"Strange brew kills what's inside of you"- Cream

Lip

Chicken Dinner
11-21-2006, 03:20 PM
Where do you people come up with this ****. Sweeney in the 2 hole. *****!

California Sox
11-21-2006, 03:24 PM
I don't necessarily agree with any of the premises of the post, but it is not necessarily ridiculous to hit a left-handed hitting rookie in the 2 hole. Sox did it with Ventura and won 90 games. I doubt Sweeney makes the team if they keep Pods, but I have faith if he does that he will outhit BA. (Not that I dislike BA. He can still develop into a Rowand/Eric Byrnes type offensively with his very good defense.)

Luke
11-21-2006, 03:24 PM
I like the kid a lot, but if hits in the 2 slot next year, it's for the Knights.

maurice
11-21-2006, 03:31 PM
I challenge you to name someone we could realistically get for what we have to offer-without trading Crede or McCarthy.

I have no idea who he can get . . . and neither do you.

Nobody thought he could get Colon or Garcia etc. without hurting the team either. More recently, people were ridiculed for suggesting that he could get Thome + cash for only Rowand + prospects.

It's frustrating to be a fan when it seems like every other team is making big moves, but you just have to wait and see. KW's working the phones. If there's a blockbuster trade in the works, history shows that he will try to have a hand in it. You'll just have to wait.

JermaineDye05
11-21-2006, 03:59 PM

I believe Roberts and Matthews are still on the market if I'm not mistaken, unless you meant they're out of the white sox picture because of the years and/or money they are looking to get.

lakeviewsoxfan
11-21-2006, 04:06 PM
I have no idea who he can get . . . and neither do you.

Nobody thought he could get Colon or Garcia etc. without hurting the team either. More recently, people were ridiculed for suggesting that he could get Thome + cash for only Rowand + prospects.

It's frustrating to be a fan when it seems like every other team is making big moves, but you just have to wait and see. KW's working the phones. If there's a blockbuster trade in the works, history shows that he will try to have a hand in it. You'll just have to wait.

Exactly. My guess is that KW is waiting until Zito, Schmidt and to a lesser extent Meche and Lilly sign their 4/32mm contracts and will put the losers of those derby's in a bidding war for our quality starting pitchers. It is a long off-season the only reason the Cubs are making these moves so early is that they are a desperate orginization and desperate times call for desperate measures. Patience is a virtue which it seems many on this board do not have. I have full confidence in KW and the front office. Sweeney will be a fine OF just not next year in the 2 hole.

Hangar18
11-21-2006, 04:16 PM
I would be shocked and pissed if Sweeney started next year. I'd rather have Pods in LF for one more year if that is going to be the deal.

Why is everybody forgetting about Jerry Owens?

lakeviewsoxfan
11-21-2006, 04:18 PM
Why is everybody forgetting about Jerry Owens?

Hes not very good

Hangar18
11-21-2006, 04:21 PM
Hes not very good

I dont know ..... I know hes as green as a pickle, but theres something about the guy. I remember watching his almost-first-stolen base last season and though dang, he could be the fastest guy the SOX have ever had

White Sox Randy
11-21-2006, 04:28 PM
I'd like to see Sweeney batting third in Charlotte all year.

I'd like to see the White Sox go back to the World Series.

It'll be hard enough to do with one good outfielder and some of you want to have 2 rookies out there- Owens, Sweeney, Anderson, Fields ? Is this the Florida Marlins ?

lakeviewsoxfan
11-21-2006, 04:29 PM
I dont know ..... I know hes as green as a pickle, but theres something about the guy. I remember watching his almost-first-stolen base last season and though dang, he could be the fastest guy the SOX have ever had

He is VERY fast but when it comes down to it I think he might be a 4th OF/PR at best.

oeo
11-21-2006, 04:29 PM
You would not get Carl Crawford unless you include McCarthy in a package and I am not even sure you would get him then.

Hold back and see what happens with one of our starting five. It would not surprise me, in the least bit, to get some young pitching for Vazquez or Garcia, and send it off to Tampa Bay...or send McCarthy and keep what we get in the original trade. The offseason will be a chain reaction; and while a lot of people think that we will not get a young stud like Crawford, I disagree.

WizardsofOzzie
11-21-2006, 04:39 PM
Oh Jesus, bigredrudy is back :puking: :puking: :puking:

munchman33
11-21-2006, 04:56 PM
Its beginning to look like Pods is coming back

That alone told me to stop reading.

soxinem1
11-21-2006, 05:00 PM
Why do we have to go through this silly debate over and over again?

First of all, look at the facts. If the Sox get a new LF, then he will more than likely be the lead-off guy. Since there are very few visable options that may be available that would IMPROVE the LF position for us while filling the lead-off role, yes, I think Pods coming back is quite likely.

Crawford is not a lead off man, he is a run producer. He's fast, but also a swinger, and an impatient one at that. Gong! This one is out.

Vernon Wells is not a lead-off man, he is a run producer. Plus, I don't think he would be too enthusiastic if he was utilized that way, especially with FA looming. He is an excellent CF and I doubt he would like playing LF so BA could man CF. So that means BA goes to LF, and we still have no lead-off man. This ain't happening.

Gary Matthews, Jr. is not selective like his dad was. He is a swinger who has had one good seson. Throw $7-8 million a year at a guy who has taken six years to develop? Yeah, right. He's always played a good CF, but he too would push BA (or whoever) to LF, and we still don't have a lead-off man. Pods career numbers are better, and they are about the same age. Plus, Carlos Lee is a better base stealer than him. So, no, this is not working.

Dave Roberts has never been an every day player. Let LA or someone overpay him, especially snce he wants a multi-year deal.

So that would leave SS as the only other possible lead-off area if the current line up stays. But if Uribe is traded, a guy like Michael Young, while not a ideal lead-off guy, is about the only possible option in that department, though someone like Jimmy Rollins, who would cost more than Vasquez and Uribe in a trade, is about the only real upgrade that might be even thinkable at SS, but that would cost a bunch.

So if we are going to speculate about these moves, let's stick to what we need, what we can reasonably aquire, and not try to convert guys who are established #2, 5, and 9 hitters into lead-off men.

JB98
11-21-2006, 05:34 PM

Maybe so, but from what I've seen, the speed is the only thing Owens brings to the table. He's an average outfielder with no arm. He doesn't have much pop in his bat. Is he a better hitter than BA or Sweeney? I haven't seen any evidence of that.

To the creator of this thread, repeat after me:

Tadahito is our No. 2 hitter

Thank you.

bigredrudy
11-21-2006, 06:00 PM
Maybe so, but from what I've seen, the speed is the only thing Owens brings to the table. He's an average outfielder with no arm. He doesn't have much pop in his bat. Is he a better hitter than BA or Sweeney? I haven't seen any evidence of that.

To the creator of this thread, repeat after me:

Thank you.
It may turn out that way but Ozzie has said repeatedlythat he wants to hit Tadahito lower in the order

bigredrudy
11-21-2006, 06:07 PM
KW has said that the center field job is between Anderson and Sweeney

bigredrudy
11-21-2006, 06:09 PM

KW has said the center field job is between Anderson and Sweeney

bigredrudy
11-21-2006, 06:10 PM
Why do we have to go through this silly debate over and over again?

First of all, look at the facts. If the Sox get a new LF, then he will more than likely be the lead-off guy. Since there are very few visable options that may be available that would IMPROVE the LF position for us while filling the lead-off role, yes, I think Pods coming back is quite likely.

Crawford is not a lead off man, he is a run producer. He's fast, but also a swinger, and an impatient one at that. Gong! This one is out.

Vernon Wells is not a lead-off man, he is a run producer. Plus, I don't think he would be too enthusiastic if he was utilized that way, especially with FA looming. He is an excellent CF and I doubt he would like playing LF so BA could man CF. So that means BA goes to LF, and we still have no lead-off man. This ain't happening.

Gary Matthews, Jr. is not selective like his dad was. He is a swinger who has had one good seson. Throw $7-8 million a year at a guy who has taken six years to develop? Yeah, right. He's always played a good CF, but he too would push BA (or whoever) to LF, and we still don't have a lead-off man. Pods career numbers are better, and they are about the same age. Plus, Carlos Lee is a better base stealer than him. So, no, this is not working.

Dave Roberts has never been an every day player. Let LA or someone overpay him, especially snce he wants a multi-year deal.

So that would leave SS as the only other possible lead-off area if the current line up stays. But if Uribe is traded, a guy like Michael Young, while not a ideal lead-off guy, is about the only possible option in that department, though someone like Jimmy Rollins, who would cost more than Vasquez and Uribe in a trade, is about the only real upgrade that might be even thinkable at SS, but that would cost a bunch.

So if we are going to speculate about these moves, let's stick to what we need, what we can reasonably aquire, and not try to convert guys who are established #2, 5, and 9 hitters into lead-off men.
A good post

Domeshot17
11-21-2006, 08:42 PM
i think sweeney eventually will be a very good 2 hitter. So the idea isnt far fetched just jumping the gun. He is a solid contact hitter, good speed, perfect for the 2 hole and controls the bat well. He will have a longer and better career then Anderson IMHO.

Anderson had a chance to lock up the CF job. He didnt do it. At WORST, he needs to be put in competition with Sweeney and willie harris... i mean Jerry Owens. Atleast then he might earn it and not have it handed to him on a silver platter.

jenn2080
11-21-2006, 09:01 PM

Jumping the gun a little bit don't you think:rolleyes:

BeviBall!
11-21-2006, 09:17 PM
This thread is 3 minutes I'll never get back. Why do I open these things?

JB98
11-21-2006, 09:21 PM
It may turn out that way but Ozzie has said repeatedlythat he wants to hit Tadahito lower in the order

And that worked out pretty well last spring, didn't it?

Our manager needs to learn that he doesn't need to fix that which is not broke.

sullythered
11-21-2006, 09:41 PM
1. Didn't BA have a WAY better second half than first half in '06? Why on earth would we give center field to a left fielder (Sweeney) when we already have a gold glove caliber one playing there. Especially when that guy showed big improvements throughout his rookie season.

2. I really wanna meet bigredrudy. His last post in this thread made me laugh out loud.

ondafarm
11-21-2006, 09:56 PM
Sweeney will be a rookie. I don't think he will be a deadly hitter in 2007. In 2008, he may even replace Dye. But this coming year he will be more of a lower third of the order guy.

He may surprise us all and be dynamite right out of the box and be the #2 hitter, but right now, smart money gives him a year to adjust. The Sox have a very solid #2 hitter already in Iguchi.

dickallen15
11-21-2006, 10:13 PM
Call me crazy, but I think the big money these mediocre players are getting, especially Pierre,who I believe is a better player than Pods, does nothing but raise Pods' arbitration number. Pods has to be looking at $5-6 million right now doesn't he? If anything, wouldn't that almost assure his exit?

Frater Perdurabo
11-21-2006, 10:18 PM
Pods has to be looking at $5-6 million right now doesn't he? If anything, wouldn't that almost assure his exit?

If the Sox only are able to find a lesser player at higher cost, then Pods will return.

JB98
11-22-2006, 01:11 PM
1. Didn't BA have a WAY better second half than first half in '06? Why on earth would we give center field to a left fielder (Sweeney) when we already have a gold glove caliber one playing there. Especially when that guy showed big improvements throughout his rookie season.

2. I really wanna meet bigredrudy. His last post in this thread made me laugh out loud.

A few points:
1. BA is not a gold-glove CF. Not yet. Has potential to be, but not yet.

2. BA had a better second half only because his first half was so awful he couldn't help but improve.

3. BA should have to earn the starting CF job in spring training. He didn't do enough to have it just handed to him. I would like an open competition between BA, Sweeney and a veteran to be named later. If BA wins, then he's the CF.

4. I agree about bigredrudy. He ****s himself whenever he posts on this board.

my5thbench
11-22-2006, 09:59 PM
I'd, ;ike to think that Brian would be back in center, however don't ya' get different vibes from Walker 7 others about how he must get better?....not so sure that they are planning on him.

beats the heck out of me

Lprof
11-22-2006, 10:20 PM
Why on earth do people think that BA is going to disappear into the abyss? He is an excellent Center Fielder...he was a ROOK last year. I do recall a certain Robin Ventura that had a not so great 1st year with the bat...seems to me he turned out OK.

Brian is going to get his swing straightened out. He will. Why must we keep rehashing this?

I am sick and tired of hearing all of the comparisons to Ventura or Crede. Why not compare him to Borchard, for pete sake? Anderson never had the minor league numbers of Crede nor the pedigree of Ventura. He was very solid defensively, and had a brief second half spurt where he hit well, but basically was an automatic out--and killed countless rallies, or at least it sure seemed that way. You cannot win in the American League having the equivalent of a pitcher batting (a slight overstatement as to Anderson, but only slight most of the time). The issue isn't whether or not we should give Anderson more chances, but whether we are going to have a Plan B in place, something we sure didn't have last year (one of Kenny's few really bad mistakes; and that isn't second guessing--I was screaming about it on this web site last winter). I am also not convinced that Sweeney can hit well enough to be a regular on a championship team in the toughest division in baseball.

SouthSide_HitMen
11-23-2006, 12:02 AM
I am sick and tired of hearing all of the comparisons to Ventura or Crede. Why not compare him to Borchard, for pete sake? Anderson never had the minor league numbers of Crede nor the pedigree of Ventura. He was very solid defensively, and had a brief second half spurt where he hit well, but basically was an automatic out--and killed countless rallies, or at least it sure seemed that way.

He is looking more and more like this (http://www.baseball-reference.com/r/reedje03.shtml) former White Sox centerfielder. Brian is nine months older. Both are above average fielders with not much power. Ozzie has said he does not want Brian to swing for the fences but rather concentrate on getting on base.

Our centerfielder in 2007 is whoever the hell Ozzie wants to play in CF and based on what transpired last season (Ozzie playing a non centerfielder in CF even though it hurt our staff / defense) as well as the fact Brian was not able to participate much in Winter Ball due to his "mysterious illness", I am not sure who will be playing on Opening Day or if we will see a platoon type situation once again.

I would like to see Brian get another season to improve but Ozzie's view of Anderson ranges from indifferent to animosity based on his quotes throughout the season.

Domeshot17
11-23-2006, 01:32 AM
Part of the problem with Anderson is our Bias. We want him to be awesome. We all agree he is a very solid CF, not the best but very good. His arm is average to slightly above, but he reads the ball well. His decision making with his throws (what base and when) needs a lot of work.

Offensively, he will never be better then an average or slighly below average hitter. The reason I saw that is He doesnt have enough power to hit more then 15 home runs, and he doesnt have enough speed to steal more then 15 MAYBE 20 bases. I know its tough to judge a rookie based on approach, so saying he improves to a .270 hitter, You are looking at basically a 270 hitter with 12 home runs 50 rbis 13 stolen bases and solid D. At best he ends up one of those players thats average to good on everything, but great at nothing. I think his career will be a lot like that of Ross Gload. A solid role player who gives you average and D off the bench.

Ryan Sweeney has a much higher ceiling. He looks like he could be a guy who can hit .320 with 20 home runs 20 stolen bases play all 3 OF positions well and have a solid hitting approach. I think if you start him in CF (which he looked fine in, keep in mind, a big reason why he came up a corner OF is Brian was in center at almost every level he was at) you probably start hitting him 8 and whoever we run out at SS 9 (unless we upgrade from Uribe, get young, then young hits 2 tadahito 7 and Sweeney 9). Eventually it would be nice to put some speed in the middle of the cloggers we have from 3-7 (apologizes to JD who has average speed) and also a little more contact, less all of nothing.

Eventually it will be more important for Sweeney and Fields to hit their talent ceilings. Because if you can have a RF hitting 320 with 20 homers, a LF hitting 280 with 30 homers, you can deal with a CF playing awesome D only hitting 270 with 12 homers. Hopefully we never have to see the next coming of Willie Harris anywhere near the starting lineup (Owens) unless he makes some big improvements this year.

Would have liked to see the Sox sign a bench coach who has good experience bringing up kids, because I think Ozzie's stubborness could really effect the development of these guys.

Blueprint1
11-23-2006, 03:41 AM
Part of the problem with Anderson is our Bias. We want him to be awesome. We all agree he is a very solid CF, not the best but very good. His arm is average to slightly above, but he reads the ball well. His decision making with his throws (what base and when) needs a lot of work.

Offensively, he will never be better then an average or slighly below average hitter. The reason I saw that is He doesnt have enough power to hit more then 15 home runs, and he doesnt have enough speed to steal more then 15 MAYBE 20 bases. I know its tough to judge a rookie based on approach, so saying he improves to a .270 hitter, You are looking at basically a 270 hitter with 12 home runs 50 rbis 13 stolen bases and solid D. At best he ends up one of those players thats average to good on everything, but great at nothing. I think his career will be a lot like that of Ross Gload. A solid role player who gives you average and D off the bench.

Ryan Sweeney has a much higher ceiling. He looks like he could be a guy who can hit .320 with 20 home runs 20 stolen bases play all 3 OF positions well and have a solid hitting approach. I think if you start him in CF (which he looked fine in, keep in mind, a big reason why he came up a corner OF is Brian was in center at almost every level he was at) you probably start hitting him 8 and whoever we run out at SS 9 (unless we upgrade from Uribe, get young, then young hits 2 tadahito 7 and Sweeney 9). Eventually it would be nice to put some speed in the middle of the cloggers we have from 3-7 (apologizes to JD who has average speed) and also a little more contact, less all of nothing.

Eventually it will be more important for Sweeney and Fields to hit their talent ceilings. Because if you can have a RF hitting 320 with 20 homers, a LF hitting 280 with 30 homers, you can deal with a CF playing awesome D only hitting 270 with 12 homers. Hopefully we never have to see the next coming of Willie Harris anywhere near the starting lineup (Owens) unless he makes some big improvements this year.

Would have liked to see the Sox sign a bench coach who has good experience bringing up kids, because I think Ozzie's stubborness could really effect the development of these guys.

I disagree i think Anderson has a much higher ceiling than that. I really don't think that has anything to do with me being a White sox fan.

Beautox
11-23-2006, 05:27 AM
I disagree i think Anderson has a much higher ceiling than that. I really don't think that has anything to do with me being a White sox fan.

Agreed Anderson could very well become the new Torii Hunter, don't under estimate the kid. I'd advise those who are looking at this to go check out both Hunter's and Anderson's MILB track record and rookie seasons. Anderson has an above average arm, and dome was right in saying he needs a little work on his decision making(as in to secede the run and hold the man at second, instead of trying to peg him). but the way he reads the ball of the bat and makes adjustments in the field to what the hitters count is, is wonderful.

Grzegorz
11-23-2006, 06:14 AM
Offensively, he will never be better then an average or slighly below average hitter. The reason I saw that is He doesnt have enough power to hit more then 15 home runs, and he doesnt have enough speed to steal more then 15 MAYBE 20 bases.

I cannot understand how the career numbers of a player can be pegged after one abbreviated season.

Does he need work on his decision making in the outfield? Yes, he does; he need to work on his throws. His strengths are that he has very good range, and an above average arm in CF.

Players develop power over their careers; think Ryne Sandberg. Players can improve their base stealing technique; think Brett Butler.

Cementing over BA after one season is a mistake.

ChicagoHoosier
11-23-2006, 08:38 AM
I think ideally Sweeney, Owens, and Fields all stay in the minors, get another year of experience under their belts, and BA continues to improve. I see several arguements both ways on BA's chances of performing this year, but I feel the improvement he showed over the course of the season allows me to continue to allow him to compete and win the starting job next year.

I'm anxious to see how it all pans out, but I'd love to see a different LF and leadoff hitter. Shouldn't necessarily be part of the BA discussion unless some stud CF leadoff guy were signed. But then we could just put BA in left, correct?

Hitmen77
11-23-2006, 10:08 AM
He is looking more and more like this (http://www.baseball-reference.com/r/reedje03.shtml) former White Sox centerfielder. Brian is nine months older. Both are above average fielders with not much power. Ozzie has said he does not want Brian to swing for the fences but rather concentrate on getting on base.

Our centerfielder in 2007 is whoever the hell Ozzie wants to play in CF and based on what transpired last season (Ozzie playing a non centerfielder in CF even though it hurt our staff / defense) as well as the fact Brian was not able to participate much in Winter Ball due to his "mysterious illness", I am not sure who will be playing on Opening Day or if we will see a platoon type situation once again.

I would like to see Brian get another season to improve but Ozzie's view of Anderson ranges from indifferent to animosity based on his quotes throughout the season.

Actually, all Sox players in Venezuela pulled out early. This wasn't just BA faking some illness to bail out of winter ball.

Hitmen77
11-23-2006, 10:13 AM
Part of the problem with Anderson is our Bias.

This statement I'll agree with. But it cuts both ways. For everyone who thinks he's the next Crede, there's an equal number of people who think he's the next Reed or Borchard.

I think it's tempting to think that history is going to repeat itself and that he'll either be a collossal bust or he'll be the next one to help us win a World Series. Truth is, he's his own person and there's a lot of room in between "Crede" and "Borchard" in terms of level of success.

He's only had one season under his belt. We're just going to have to watch this thing play out.

SouthSide_HitMen
11-23-2006, 10:52 AM
Actually, all Sox players in Venezuela pulled out early. This wasn't just BA faking some illness to bail out of winter ball.

I didn't say that to rip on Brian. The club announced it as a mysterious illness (losing 20 lbs) which they still haven't identified unless I missed it.

For whatever reason Ozzie doesn't like Brian and or he doesn't have confidence in him. Ozzie stated winter ball was a must. Ozzie is the only one who knows if he plans on playing Anderson next season on a regular basis assuming he is able to recover from his illness.

I like Anderson and think he has a chance to improve considering his age but he will need regular at bats and the confidence of Ozzie to get the opportunity. Hopefully everything will come together in 2007.

Cuck_The_Fubs
11-23-2006, 12:32 PM
I am sick and tired of hearing all of the comparisons to Ventura or Crede. Why not compare him to Borchard, for pete sake? Anderson never had the minor league numbers of Crede nor the pedigree of Ventura. He was very solid defensively, and had a brief second half spurt where he hit well, but basically was an automatic out--and killed countless rallies, or at least it sure seemed that way. You cannot win in the American League having the equivalent of a pitcher batting (a slight overstatement as to Anderson, but only slight most of the time). The issue isn't whether or not we should give Anderson more chances, but whether we are going to have a Plan B in place, something we sure didn't have last year (one of Kenny's few really bad mistakes; and that isn't second guessing--I was screaming about it on this web site last winter). I am also not convinced that Sweeney can hit well enough to be a regular on a championship team in the toughest division in baseball.
You're absolutely right, Brian Anderson was equivalent to a pitcher whilst batting. In this case, lets use Mackowiak in center for the bat 100% of the time, and see how that works for us! Ok?
Seriously, the 2006 whitesox had more power than ANY other team in the whole goddam MLB! BA had nothing to do with a ****ty season.

White Sox Randy
11-24-2006, 11:24 AM
I think ideally Sweeney, Owens, and Fields all stay in the minors, get another year of experience under their belts, and BA continues to improve. I see several arguements both ways on BA's chances of performing this year, but I feel the improvement he showed over the course of the season allows me to continue to allow him to compete and win the starting job next year.

I'm anxious to see how it all pans out, but I'd love to see a different LF and leadoff hitter. Shouldn't necessarily be part of the BA discussion unless some stud CF leadoff guy were signed. But then we could just put BA in left, correct?

Exactly. If the Sox want to WIN next year, then they need a top notch outfield. If they want to finish in 3rd place again, then they can continue rebuilding with Owens, Anderson, Sweeney and Fields.

We can live with Anderson next year only if we have Dye and another really good player in LF.

Now, the Sox biggest problems are the outfield and the bullpen - 2 areas where very little money has been spent.

JB98
11-24-2006, 12:09 PM
You're absolutely right, Brian Anderson was equivalent to a pitcher whilst batting. In this case, lets use Mackowiak in center for the bat 100% of the time, and see how that works for us! Ok?
Seriously, the 2006 whitesox had more power than ANY other team in the whole goddam MLB! BA had nothing to do with a ****ty season.

Baloney. Our offense was unbalanced, inconsistent and generally out of whack. A major reason for that is the black holes we had batting eighth and ninth, as well as a subpar season from our leadoff hitter.

To absolve Anderson of any blame for last season is absurd. I don't care if he was just a rookie. Every player in the big leagues is accountable for his performance. Mackowiak has been held accountable on this board, and rightfully so. Rob has held himself accountable in the press, and Ozzie has held Rob accountable in the press as well. This fact gets ignored as we'd rather concentrate on how mean-spiritied old Ozzie is picking on innocent, fair-haired BA. Ozzie never criticizes anyone else in the press.

Ozzie doesn't hate BA. He is merely holding him accountable, just as he does Mackowiak. No matter what way you slice it, CF was a joke last season. It better improve, and I'm tired of the BA apologists insisting that Anderson had nothing to do with last season's failure. Was he the biggest reason we missed the playoffs? ABSOLUTELY NOT. But for people to think his performance was acceptable is incomprehensible to me.

Ol' No. 2
11-24-2006, 12:43 PM
Baloney. Our offense was unbalanced, inconsistent and generally out of whack. A major reason for that is the black holes we had batting eighth and ninth, as well as a subpar season from our leadoff hitter.

To absolve Anderson of any blame for last season is absurd. I don't care if he was just a rookie. Every player in the big leagues is accountable for his performance. Mackowiak has been held accountable on this board, and rightfully so. Rob has held himself accountable in the press, and Ozzie has held Rob accountable in the press as well. This fact gets ignored as we'd rather concentrate on how mean-spiritied old Ozzie is picking on innocent, fair-haired BA. Ozzie never criticizes anyone else in the press.

Ozzie doesn't hate BA. He is merely holding him accountable, just as he does Mackowiak. No matter what way you slice it, CF was a joke last season. It better improve, and I'm tired of the BA apologists insisting that Anderson had nothing to do with last season's failure. Was he the biggest reason we missed the playoffs? ABSOLUTELY NOT. But for people to think his performance was acceptable is incomprehensible to me.But he was batting 9th!!!! That means it's OK to suck at the plate.

Lillian
11-24-2006, 01:24 PM
Regarding some of the posts on Anderson and Sweeney. The Sox as an organization, and baseball scouts, think that Sweeney has 30 homerun potential. He's 6'4", and won't even be 22 until February. He's still filling out.
I watched him play all of the Spring Training games in Tuscon, in both 2004 and 2006, and he looks terrific. He has as beautiful a left handed swing as you'll ever see. He has never appeared to be intimidated by any pitcher.
His baseball acumen is very high. This is not just another good athlete. We're talking about a real baseball player. The word "Natural" comes to mind
I don't see how he can miss.
The power numbers will come with maturity, but 30+ homers shouldn't be unrealistic for him. In my humble opinion, he will ultimately hit more homers than Josh Fields. His physical stature, and his graceful swing give him better tools than Fields. Remember Fields is 3 years older.

As far as Brian is concerned; 20+ homers seems more likely than the 12 that some here anticipate. His power is more than adequate for our ball park. His problem is making more consistent contact. If he learns to adjust at the Major League level, he should hit 20+ homers.

champagne030
11-24-2006, 01:25 PM

Ozzie doesn't hate BA. He is merely holding him accountable, just as he does Mackowiak. No matter what way you slice it, CF was a joke last season. It better improve, and I'm tired of the BA apologists insisting that Anderson had nothing to do with last season's failure. Was he the biggest reason we missed the playoffs? ABSOLUTELY NOT. But for people to think his performance was acceptable is incomprehensible to me.

:bs:

No Ozzie didn't hold him accountable. His irrational thought process of putting Mack in CF came under intense pressure in the 2nd half of the season and Ozzie became more and more and more pissed that anyone would dare question the Great Oswaldo about the lineup. I've been attending baseball games for 30+ years and Mack, by FAR, displayed the worst CF defense I have ever seen in my life.

This doesn't mean that I absolve BA of his ****ty AB's through mid-June, but after that point it's Ozzie's fault. Our starting pitching was the biggest letdown this season. Followed by a collapse of the bullpen. Regardless, had Ozzie not had a stick up his ass with BA we would have won the division....flawed pitching staff and all.

Ol' No. 2
11-24-2006, 01:30 PM

No Ozzie didn't hold him accountable. His irrational thought process of putting Mack in CF came under intense pressure in the 2nd half of the season and Ozzie became more and more and more pissed that anyone would dare question the Great Oswaldo about the lineup. I've been attending baseball games for 30+ years and Mack, by FAR, displayed the worst CF defense I have ever seen in my life.

This doesn't mean that I absolve BA of his ****ty AB's through mid-June, but after that point it's Ozzie's fault. Our starting pitching was the biggest letdown this season. Followed by a collapse of the bullpen. Regardless, had Ozzie not had a stick up his ass with BA we would have won the division....flawed pitching staff and all.His confidence was so damaged by sitting one or two games a week that he just couldn't hit any more? Poor dear.:violin:

champagne030
11-24-2006, 01:33 PM
His confidence was so damaged by sitting one or two games a week that he just couldn't hit any more? Poor dear.:violin:

I don't get your point?? Mack had zero business being anywhere near CF after mid-June.

Ol' No. 2
11-24-2006, 01:43 PM
I don't get your point?? Mack had zero business being anywhere near CF after mid-June.And Anderson had zero business being anywhere near the plate. Unfortunately, you can't put a DH in for the CF.

White Sox Randy
11-24-2006, 01:47 PM
I agree with most of what's been said here.

Mack. is not, by his own admission, a good CFer. Therfore, he shouldn't have been out there - Ozzie or KW's fault.

Sweeney will probably develop as most suggest he will, into an excellent player.

However, that won't happen right now so playing him and Anderson (another developing player ) in the same outfield will severely hurt the team's chances of winning a WORLD SERIES.

He is not ready and the Sox need to add another strong OFer from somewhere outside the organization.

champagne030
11-24-2006, 01:53 PM
And Anderson had zero business being anywhere near the plate. Unfortunately, you can't put a DH in for the CF.

His small (if that) liability at the plate, post mid-June, FAR outweighed any usefullness that Mack provided at the plate.

I don't care if we have BA written in our everyday CF plans for '07, but if we have Mack, Sweeney or Owens as our backup plan then I need to get my bail money ready......

Ol' No. 2
11-24-2006, 02:01 PM
His small (if that) liability at the plate, post mid-June, FAR outweighed any usefullness that Mack provided at the plate.

I don't care if we have BA written in our everyday CF plans for '07, but if we have Mack, Sweeney or Owens as our backup plan then I need to get my bail money ready......The fact that Mackowiak was inadequate as a backup in no way absolves Anderson's inability to do much of anything at the plate. If BA is their starting CF, he needs to be on a short leash and they sure as hell better have a plan if he doesn't get any better.

spiffie
11-24-2006, 05:29 PM
But he was batting 9th!!!! That means it's OK to suck at the plate.
Hey, that's the argument for Juan Uribe! You leave that alone when it comes to BA!

Mohoney
11-25-2006, 03:28 AM
Hey, that's the argument for Juan Uribe! You leave that alone when it comes to BA!

Now there's the guy I would get rid of. At least Anderson can draw a walk. If you threw an aspirin or a cotton ball at Juan Uribe, he would swing at it.

I would do McCarthy and Uribe for David Eckstein and a low-level pitching prospect and lock Eckstein to a 5 year extension. I have that much faith in Broadway.

Beautox
11-25-2006, 03:51 AM
I would do McCarthy and Uribe for David Eckstein and a low-level pitching prospect and lock Eckstein to a 5 year extension. I have that much faith in Broadway.
wow. just wow. You would give away a 23yr old pitcher who led the IL in strike outs, and has shown to be dominate when he starts, and a 27yr old SS who hits for power and plays GG SS but nothing else for a "scrappy" lead off hitter.

David Eckstein is over rated, and people on this board have such affection for players that hustle or "grind" it out; its laughable. Aaron Rowand is quickly becoming nothing more than a 4th OFer. Eckstein is 31, and just because he's scrappy doesn't mean hes good and for anyone who brings up the WSMVP award my counter argument is Josh Beckett. Yes he would be a slight upgrade if any over pods but eckstein isn't very good at SS he should be playing 2B, and he isn't a threat in the stolen base department and he doesn't hit for power.

I would rather have Furcal or Rollins.

Mohoney
11-25-2006, 04:14 AM
wow. just wow. You would give away a 23yr old pitcher who led the IL in strike outs, and has shown to be dominate when he starts, and a 27yr old SS who hits for power and plays GG SS but nothing else for a "scrappy" lead off hitter.

David Eckstein is over rated, and people on this board have such affection for players that hustle or "grind" it out; its laughable. Aaron Rowand is quickly becoming nothing more than a 4th OFer. Eckstein is 31, and just because he's scrappy doesn't mean hes good and for anyone who brings up the WSMVP award my counter argument is Josh Beckett. Yes he would be a slight upgrade if any over pods but eckstein isn't very good at SS he should be playing 2B, and he isn't a threat in the stolen base department and he doesn't hit for power.

I would rather have Furcal or Rollins.

Furcal and Rollins are not realistic options, though. I also have enough faith in Lance Broadway that I see him starting here in 2008, making McCarthy expendable.

My plan would be to bring Pods back and hope that he cuts down on my main beef with him, which is those backward Ks. He leads off. Then it's Iguchi #2, Thome #3, Dye #4, PK# 5, AJ#6, Crede #7, BA# 8, and Eckstein #9, turning the lineup over and playing with grit. I really like this lineup, and yes, I'll deal McCarthy to make it happen.

As for the pitching staff, bring back the same 5 starters, and feature a bullpen of Jenks, Thornton, MacDougal, and Aardsma throwing gas. Add Charlie Haeger as a knuckler that can go long or short without much detriment to his arm, and the only spot you need to fill is that last bullpen spot.

With that team, I really like our chances to improve on the 90 wins that we already got last year.

Sure, trading McCarthy is a huge gamble, and in the same sense, counting on Broadway is a huge gamble. But our 2005 season raised the stakes around here, and I don't think that minimizing risks will get us back to where we need to be to add a 4th banner to our ballpark on Opening Day 2008.

Beautox
11-25-2006, 04:28 AM
Furcal and Rollins are not realistic options, though. I also have enough faith in Lance Broadway that I see him starting here in 2008, making McCarthy expendable.

My plan would be to bring Pods back and hope that he cuts down on my main beef with him, which is those backward Ks. He leads off. Then it's Iguchi #2, Thome #3, Dye #4, PK# 5, AJ#6, Crede #7, BA# 8, and Eckstein #9, turning the lineup over and playing with grit. I really like this lineup, and yes, I'll deal McCarthy to make it happen.

As for the pitching staff, bring back the same 5 starters, and feature a bullpen of Jenks, Thornton, MacDougal, and Aardsma throwing gas. Add Charlie Haeger as a knuckler that can go long or short without much detriment to his arm, and the only spot you need to fill is that last bullpen spot.

With that team, I really like our chances to improve on the 90 wins that we already got last year.

Sure, trading McCarthy is a huge gamble, and in the same sense, counting on Broadway is a huge gamble. But our 2005 season raised the stakes around here, and I don't think that minimizing risks will get us back to where we need to be to add a 4th banner to our ballpark on Opening Day 2008.

Furcal and Rollins are both realistic options. The dodgers need a power hitting corner OFer and the Phillies need pitching. We happen to have both, aside from both teams loosing their respective leadoff men they each have others waiting. The dodgers just inked Pierre and the phillies have Bourn.

I too have faith in Broadway and maybe McCarthy is expendable(although i don't think so). But your proposing giving him and Uribe away for a 31yr old SS who should be at 2nd, that isn't a power or sb threat, and has a bit more OBP then podsednik and is in the weakest division in baseball.

Broadway projects to be a 3-4, McCarthy could potently be a 2, and if his comand and location stay consistant possibly a 1. McCarthy is 23yrs old and has already proven he can get hitters out at the ML level, Broadway hasn't. McCarthy also allows payroll flexibility. We need to move one of our vets this offseason.

and i can't even respond to the rest of your post with out laughing(sans haeger) :cool:.

Mohoney
11-25-2006, 04:31 AM
What do you think the Phillies would consider for Rollins?

Beautox
11-25-2006, 04:40 AM
What do you think the Phillies would consider for Rollins?

Garcia and Uribe would be a start.

Rollins contact is now under market(07:$7M, 08:$7M, 09:$7.5M, 10:$7.5M, *11:$8.5M ($2M buyout)). Hes a switch hitter and will be 28 on the 27th. All though he doesn't have a great OBP(334) the fact that he will knock himself in 20-25 times a year and steal bases very sucessfully(36SB/4CS) makes his OBP acceptable.

*club option

Mohoney
11-25-2006, 04:49 AM
Garcia and Uribe would be a start.

Rollins contact is now under market(07:$7M, 08:$7M, 09:$7.5M, 10:$7.5M, *11:$8.5M ($2M buyout)). Hes a switch hitter and will be 28 on the 27th. All though he doesn't have a great OBP(334) the fact that he will knock himself in 20-25 times a year and steal bases very sucessfully(36SB/4CS) makes his OBP acceptable.

*club option

If Garcia in his walk year and Uribe get us Rollins, sign me up. It definitely makes us better.

I'm just thinking about it from other teams' perspectives, plus I'm thinking about how much money Furcal is getting. Your trade is definitely better, but I don't know if the Phillies will bite on a pitcher that they have under control for only one year. I would think that they would want Garcia, Uribe, + a prospect like Heath Phillips for Rollins + one of their own pitching prospects that they don't like as much as Phillips, simply because of how favorable Rollins' contract is and the fact that Garcia would be a free agent.

JB98
11-25-2006, 02:27 PM

This doesn't mean that I absolve BA of his ****ty AB's through mid-June, but after that point it's Ozzie's fault. Our starting pitching was the biggest letdown this season. Followed by a collapse of the bullpen. Regardless, had Ozzie not had a stick up his ass with BA we would have won the division....flawed pitching staff and all.

So, you're arguing that we win the division if Ozzie plays BA every day? Now, that's BS. We weren't going to win with the way the pitching staff performed regardless. In addition, the offense went dry in September, and if you don't think BA was a part of that, you weren't watching.

Ozzie called out Mack's defense in the paper. You just didn't read it. It was in the same article where Mack admitted his defense sucked.

MRM
11-25-2006, 05:09 PM
Is hilarious. I'm seeing calls for Sweeny to hit 2nd (absurd) and trading McCarthy and Uribe for Eckstein (So absurd I'd personally assasinate Kenny Williams if he did it)

On the first one, why would ANYONE want to hit a raw rookie 2nd in the batting order before he proves a thing?

That is a CRITICAL place in the order. I'd sooner move Pierzynski there than Sweeny. (ok, so I'm fondly remembering Fisk moving to 2nd in the order and how well that went)

On the second, if the Sox can't get more that an old, overrated SS for McCarthy (never mind throwing in Uribe) the entire front office needs to go.

If nobody has noticed, starting pitching is at a premium this year. The Red Sox just paid $50mil just to NEGOTIATE with a guy who has never thrown a pitch in the majors.

You want a shortstop in a deal for the likes of McCarthy and Uribe? Sets your sights a bit higher...like ARod.

batmanZoSo
11-25-2006, 09:49 PM
Wow.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c55/ZoSoKarl/BabyJesusCry.jpg

samram
11-25-2006, 10:06 PM
Now there's the guy I would get rid of. At least Anderson can draw a walk. If you threw an aspirin or a cotton ball at Juan Uribe, he would swing at it.

:o: Why would the Sox do that? It's not as if the Cards are trying to extend his deal. That should tell you something about his value. And 5 years at that? No.

batmanZoSo
11-25-2006, 10:15 PM

That would be a great trade in the Hollywood fantasy world of Eckstein being this valuable--and actually good--player that announcers like to make him out to be. But in reality, that's just a brutal trade on our side. Just completely horrid.

samram
11-25-2006, 10:20 PM
That would be a great trade in the Hollywood fantasy world of Eckstein being this valuable--and actually good--player that announcers like to make him out to be. But in reality, that's just a brutal trade on our side. Just completely horrid.

But he's a grinder, so he has to be good- has to be.

JB98
11-26-2006, 01:49 AM
We're talking about Eckstein now? God help us.

spiffie
11-26-2006, 02:01 PM
We're talking about Eckstein now? God help us.
I blame the marketing department. They sold 2005 as "grinder ball" and got people truly believing that the reason we won was some sort of bizarre mojo that only we had, and now any white guy who can't get on base or hit for power must be awesome. This also applies regardless of skin tone if in fact you have ever gone diving into the stands in Game 4 of the World Series.

maurice
11-27-2006, 05:15 PM
Offensively, [Anderson] will never be better then an average or slighly below average hitter. The reason I saw that is He doesnt have enough power to hit more then 15 home runs, and he doesnt have enough speed to steal more then 15 MAYBE 20 bases. . . . At best he ends up one of those players thats average to good on everything, but great at nothing. I think his career will be a lot like that of Ross Gload. A solid role player who gives you average and D off the bench.

This math doesn't add up. Even if you're correct and Anderson becomes a roughly average hitter with about a .270 AVE, 15 HR and 15 SB, he starts in MLB for the next 10+ years. The comparison to Gload is silly, because 1B is not CF (or 2B or SS or C). A very good defensive CF with average offensive numbers is a valuable player. This isn't fantasy baseball.