PDA

View Full Version : Soxfest 2004

32nd&Wallace
11-21-2006, 12:14 PM
I was wondering if anyone remembered Soxfest January 2004. I wasn't there buy my friend was and told me KW got a serious beating from the audience. My friend told me that while he loves KW now, KW did deserve the heat he got from the crowd that night for his inaction that off-season.

Rocky Soprano
11-21-2006, 12:21 PM
Yup, just about every fan (including some of our members) ripped him and Ozzie a new one.

Last year, the room wasnt even full and Kenny called us out. :D:

Palehose13
11-21-2006, 12:22 PM
I was wondering if anyone remembered Soxfest January 2004. I wasn't there buy my friend was and told me KW got a serious beating from the audience. My friend told me that while he loves KW now, KW did deserve the heat he got from the crowd that night for his inaction that off-season.

I was there and thought that the crowd was over the top. I told KW after that that there are a few Sox fans who believe in him and think that he is going in the right direction.

Some people really aren't happy unless they are complaining.

32nd&Wallace
11-21-2006, 12:23 PM
Yup, just about every fan (including some of our members) ripped him and Ozzie a new one.

Last year, the room wasnt even full and Kenny called us out. :D:Called you out on what?

32nd&Wallace
11-21-2006, 12:23 PM
I was there and thought that the crowd was over the top. I told KW after that that there are a few Sox fans who believe in him and think that he is going in the right direction.

Some people really aren't happy unless they are complaining.To be fair to the people who complained, KW did absoultely ZERO to improve the team. A team that has come very close to winning the division, the year prior.

Rocky Soprano
11-21-2006, 12:56 PM
Called you out on what?

Well he called out the fans that were in the same room in 04. He wanted to know where they were and what they have to say this year. Then he said, I'm sure they will find something to complain about.

Madvora
11-21-2006, 01:07 PM
The entire organization deserved it after 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004. Kenny obviously noticed the fan attitude and properly made the changes.

maurice
11-21-2006, 01:24 PM

True. The following year, he was taking a beating from the media, and expected a repeat performance at SoxFest. OTOH, he was shocked that Sox fans overwhelmingly supported his moves and looked forward to the coming season. We all know how that worked out.
:gulp:

Hangar18
11-21-2006, 03:25 PM
The entire organization deserved it after 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004. Kenny obviously noticed the fan attitude and properly made the changes.

For once ............ the organization understood where the SOX Fanbase was coming from. It was AWESOME to have witnessed in person, it was so spontaneous and passionate. SOX fans are most definitely the smartest most passionate fanbase. Later on, I talked to Hawk, and he said he loved it, and loved how passionate the fans got, and that kudos to Kenny for saying you know what, lets them get it all out and spill the anger.

Personally, I took that incident as the defining moment when SOX fans and Sox management were able to look at each other and say they now understood.

FedEx227
11-21-2006, 03:32 PM
That was great.

The infamous "Shame on you Kenny" and the guys proposed plan of Kenny moving the fences back.

32nd&Wallace
11-21-2006, 03:46 PM
I seem to remember the Sox lost Gordon, Sullivan, Graffanino, Colon, Alomar and Everett, all to free agency. The only trade was made was for Uribe. That was in January and no upgrades were made until June when they traded for Freddy.

chisoxmike
11-21-2006, 03:51 PM
Also, remember that SoxFest 2004 followed the epic meltdown of the Sox in September 2003 and the Cubs mircale run to blow the 2003 NLCS.

Sox fans had a right to be pissed off with the team at that time. The '03 squad should've won the AL Central that year and blew it, they let all the free agents go and got no one back for them.

Granted looking back on it, it doesn't seem so bad now, the 2004 team could've made a run for it if Frank and Maggs didn't go down.

the gooch
11-21-2006, 04:31 PM
Also, remember that SoxFest 2004 followed the epic meltdown of the Sox in September 2003 and the Cubs mircale run to blow the 2003 NLCS.

Sox fans had a right to be pissed off with the team at that time. The '03 squad should've won the AL Central that year and blew it, they let all the free agents go and got no one back for them.

Granted looking back on it, it doesn't seem so bad now, the 2004 team could've made a run for it if Frank and Maggs didn't go down.
I am sure they got an extra 1st rd pick for Colon, didn't they?
They offered arbitration to him, so I don't see why not.
The actual pick was Gio as a sandwich pick, I believe. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

INSox56
11-21-2006, 05:18 PM
True. The following year, he was taking a beating from the media, and expected a repeat performance at SoxFest. OTOH, he was shocked that Sox fans overwhelmingly supported his moves and looked forward to the coming season. We all know how that worked out.

it was actually pretty cool to see the difference first hand from one year to the next as far as attitudes are concerned

FedEx227
11-21-2006, 07:07 PM
Nevermind my statement I was talking about the 2005 Sox Fest leading up to the World Title.

veeter
11-21-2006, 07:17 PM

Granted looking back on it, it doesn't seem so bad now, the 2004 team could've made a run for it if Frank and Maggs didn't go down.That was a very tough time. I usually bet this goof ball at work, Sox wins vs. Cub wins, a dollar a game. That off-season he looked at me with pity saying, "are you sure you want to bet, because we don't have to." Keep in mind, the cubs picked up Maddux and Latroy Hawkins, and looked poised to win. Well, I looked at that guy and said "you bet your ass we're betting." The Sox finished 6 games behind the cubs, and were in first when Thomas and Maggs went down. The rest is history and the guy doesn't bet anymore.

soxinem1
11-21-2006, 08:13 PM
I was at both the 2004 and 2005 Sox Fests, and remember the atmosphere very well. In 2004, people complained about the stagnancy of the off-season moves, especially after Bart left. I was not happy then either. It's not that losing any of those guys was terminal, or that they were not replaceable, but nothing was done up until that point.

But in 2005 the mood was of 'quiet giddy confidence'. You could feel it among the fans. They were gaga all over Dye, AJ, El Duque, Pods, and KW. I think the Iguchi acquisition was just bearing fruit as well.

And no one made any dumb 'Why didn't we keep Magglio' remarks. Even the few people wearing his jersey didn't seem upset.

To me, the 2005 one was the best of all the ones I attended, because you could sense the confidence in both the fans and the organization. I remember Roland Hemond telling us that he thought that the 2005 team would be the one.

Palehose13
11-21-2006, 08:15 PM
To me, the 2005 one was the best of all the ones I attended, because you could sense the confidence in both the fans and the organization.

I had a headline wiht my "Kenny, You da man" comment at the mike. Some people still owe me beer for following through with that. I expect it at SoxFest in January. :cool:

soxinem1
11-21-2006, 09:09 PM
I had a headline wiht my "Kenny, You da man" comment at the mike. Some people still owe me beer for following through with that. I expect it at SoxFest in January. :cool:

That was you????? I remember that! Was that before or after that kid got up there and asked some real off the wall question?

The other thing I remember about 2005's SoxFest was Tony LaRussa hawking five bucks for his autograph to give towards animal shelters.

Palehose13
11-21-2006, 09:13 PM
That was you????? I remember that! Was that before or after that kid got up there and asked some real off the wall question?

The other thing I remember about 2005's SoxFest was Tony LaRussa hawking five bucks for his autograph to give towards animal shelters.

I think I was after him, not sure though. And yes, that was me. I wasn't able to enjoy last year so much cause I just had surgery like 9 days before it, but I plan to have a good time this year. :bandance:

FedEx227
11-21-2006, 09:17 PM
To me, the 2005 one was the best of all the ones I attended, because you could sense the confidence in both the fans and the organization. I remember Roland Hemond telling us that he thought that the 2005 team would be the one.

Really? I went to the Sunday session and was absolutely digusted by how Sox fans were acting. Like I said earlier, the first guy comes up and says "Shame on you Kenny, shame on you for letting Magglio Ordonez go, hes going to destroy us every year for the rest of YOUR short career." followed by a guy who asked Kenny if he considered moving the fences back so that Pods wouldn't suck so much and because we would no longer hit any homeruns, ever.

Brian26
11-21-2006, 10:10 PM
I seem to remember the Sox lost Gordon, Sullivan, Graffanino, Colon, Alomar and Everett, all to free agency. The only trade was made was for Uribe. That was in January and no upgrades were made until June when they traded for Freddy.

The most frustrating part of that seminar was everyone getting on Kenny's case about letting Everett and Alomar go. Nobody seemed to understand the arbitration process. Everett ended up signing a bargain basement contract with the Expos, as did Alomar with the Diamondbacks. KW didn't offer either guy arbitration because they both would have received huge raises based on past numbers. Instead, both guys on the open market got what they truly deserved (much less). The Sox couldn't sign either guy as cheaply as the Expos and DBacks did because they would have to wait until the May 1 deadline, and both guys were certainly going to be scooped up by then.

Brian26
11-21-2006, 10:16 PM
Later on, I talked to Hawk, and he said he loved it, and loved how passionate the fans got, and that kudos to Kenny for saying you know what, lets them get it all out and spill the anger.

At the Friday night session that year, Harrelson pretty much admitted that Mags was gone after the '04 season.

soxinem1
11-21-2006, 10:18 PM
Really? I went to the Sunday session and was absolutely digusted by how Sox fans were acting. Like I said earlier, the first guy comes up and says "Shame on you Kenny, shame on you for letting Magglio Ordonez go, hes going to destroy us every year for the rest of YOUR short career." followed by a guy who asked Kenny if he considered moving the fences back so that Pods wouldn't suck so much and because we would no longer hit any homeruns, ever.

Well, there is always going to be some yahoo acting a fool.

Remember one of my favorite sayings: 'The ones who bitch the most are the ones who have nothing worth bitching about'.

ChiSoxGirl
11-22-2006, 01:36 AM

SoxFest '05 was incredible. This may seem trite to many people, but that was the year the black Sox Pride wristbands made their debut, and I distinctly remember ALL of the players who were in attendance wearing them. I noticed it right away and thought that was a great way for the players- newly acquired and veterans to the team- to show they're one unit and are definitely proud to be playing on the south side. I remember having a special feeling about that team back in January, all because the players were wearing some Sox Pride wristbands. Who knew?!

Jaffar
11-22-2006, 08:46 AM
SoxFest '05 was incredible. This may seem trite to many people, but that was the year the black Sox Pride wristbands made their debut, and I distinctly remember ALL of the players who were in attendance wearing them. I noticed it right away and thought that was a great way for the players- newly acquired and veterans to the team- to show they're one unit and are definitely proud to be playing on the south side. I remember having a special feeling about that team back in January, all because the players were wearing some Sox Pride wristbands. Who knew?!

I still wear mine, can't let go I guess. I bought like 50 throughout the weekend. I agree with Soxinem1 and PH13, 2005 just left you with a wierd feeling, I couldn't explain it at the time but I just felt really good leaving teh hyatt on Sunday. I want to meet up with everybody this year that's going so send me a pm or we'll have to start a thread when it get's closer.

ewokpelts
11-22-2006, 10:00 AM

The other thing I remember about 2005's SoxFest was Tony LaRussa hawking five bucks for his autograph to give towards animal shelters.and what's wrong with larussa charging for his charity? considering that soxfest is justa money run for the sox, and that larussa just came from the cardinal convention, where ALL autographs are charged, and ALL money goes to cardinals charities.

ewokpelts
11-22-2006, 10:03 AM
The most frustrating part of that seminar was everyone getting on Kenny's case about letting Everett and Alomar go. Nobody seemed to understand the arbitration process. Everett ended up signing a bargain basement contract with the Expos, as did Alomar with the Diamondbacks. KW didn't offer either guy arbitration because they both would have received huge raises based on past numbers. Instead, both guys on the open market got what they truly deserved (much less). The Sox couldn't sign either guy as cheaply as the Expos and DBacks did because they would have to wait until the May 1 deadline, and both guys were certainly going to be scooped up by then.i think some people were angry that it had to go to arbitration....if you want the guy sign him before the season ends....and obviously, kw wanted both guys...that's why he ended up trading for them....twice...

ewokpelts
11-22-2006, 10:09 AM
Hindsight's 20/20, but not many people remember ME being angry at Soxfest 05. I was always pumped for the season at every soxfest I went to...EXCEPT 2005.

my overall modd at each soxfest i went to:

2001? oh yeah, especially coming after a div win.
2002? it was wells' fault...we'll get it
2003? we got bartolo and HOW MUCH MONEY from the ASG? oh yeah, it's ours...
2004? we beat ourselves , and there's no way we'll let the cubs take over the city
2005? aside from dye(good but injury prone), we aint done **** this year....a strike out happy leadoff hitter? a ****ing twin that not even barroid's team wants? old ass el duque? pass...
2006? : repeat! repeat!

The only year I went to soxfest pissed, we won it all.

Gene

chisoxmike
11-22-2006, 10:49 AM
Hindsight's 20/20, but not many people remember ME being angry at Soxfest 05. I was always pumped for the season at every soxfest I went to...EXCEPT 2005.

2004? we beat ourselves , and there's no way we'll let the cubs take over the city
2005? aside from dye(good but injury prone), we aint done **** this year....a strike out happy leadoff hitter? a ****ing twin that not even barroid's team wants? old ass el duque? pass...

Gene

There are things to be pissed about going into 2007, I could name a few if you need some.:wink:

soxinem1
11-22-2006, 11:04 AM
and what's wrong with larussa charging for his charity? considering that soxfest is justa money run for the sox, and that larussa just came from the cardinal convention, where ALL autographs are charged, and ALL money goes to cardinals charities.

Didn't say or imply anything was wrong with it. I just remember it happening.

And I think we all know by now, especially after all the PA announcements by Gene Honda, that a lot of the proceeds go to charity.:smile:

soxinem1
11-22-2006, 11:06 AM

Gene

I think you need to get good and pissed like never before for the next one!!:angry:

:smile:

Iwritecode
11-22-2006, 11:47 AM

Gene

I remember seeing you at the mike in 04 or 05 but I honestly don't remember what you said... :redface:

ChiSoxGirl
11-22-2006, 03:11 PM
I still wear mine, can't let go I guess. I bought like 50 throughout the weekend. I agree with Soxinem1 and PH13, 2005 just left you with a wierd feeling, I couldn't explain it at the time but I just felt really good leaving teh hyatt on Sunday. I want to meet up with everybody this year that's going so send me a pm or we'll have to start a thread when it get's closer.

I know that weird feeling you're talking about because I had it, too. I still wear my Sox Pride wristband too, along with a 2005 World Series Champions one. :wink:

There's usually a thread a week or so before SoxFest starts and people post when they're going & whether or not they're staying at the hotel. I'm always up for meeting new posters, so we'll definitely have to get the WSIers in attendance together.

Juice16
11-23-2006, 07:38 AM

I was there too and although the fans did ask Kenny many questions, this has been drasticly overblown by the media and fans. I don't recall it being as harsh as people want you to believe or remember.

Juice16
11-23-2006, 07:40 AM
The most frustrating part of that seminar was everyone getting on Kenny's case about letting Everett and Alomar go. Nobody seemed to understand the arbitration process. Everett ended up signing a bargain basement contract with the Expos, as did Alomar with the Diamondbacks. KW didn't offer either guy arbitration because they both would have received huge raises based on past numbers. Instead, both guys on the open market got what they truly deserved (much less). The Sox couldn't sign either guy as cheaply as the Expos and DBacks did because they would have to wait until the May 1 deadline, and both guys were certainly going to be scooped up by then.

I do recall how embarassed I was at fellow sox fans also. It sounded like any show on the Score with the callers in person.

Fake Chet Lemon
11-23-2006, 09:57 PM

Exactamundo. (you "stole" my post)

jabrch
11-23-2006, 10:16 PM
The behaviour of some Sox fans at that event was completely embarassing.

ewokpelts
11-24-2006, 07:44 AM
The behaviour of some Sox fans at that event was completely embarassing.so you think fans should have to accept the crap non-moves KW made that year? his salary is paid for from our hard earned money....he should expect to hear an earful when he deserves it. mind you, no one got verbally abusive or called him names.

chisoxmike
11-24-2006, 12:18 PM
The behaviour of some Sox fans at that event was completely embarassing.
:?:

He, and the entire White Sox organaztion deserved it. The Sox were supposed to be a playoff team for years after 2000, between 00-05, they had nothing to show for it.

jabrch
11-24-2006, 04:15 PM
so you think fans should have to accept the crap non-moves KW made that year? his salary is paid for from our hard earned money....he should expect to hear an earful when he deserves it. mind you, no one got verbally abusive or called him names.

No Gene - I don't. But paying for a ticket to Soxfest also shouldn't entitle you to talk to someone as disrespectfully as people were when given the microphone as Soxfest.

Fenway
11-24-2006, 04:23 PM
Some people really aren't happy unless they are complaining.

you talking about us?

http://www.upstatenyroads.com/assets/P1010010.JPGhttp://static.flickr.com/73/184675860_883cfef635_m.jpg

Brian26
11-24-2006, 10:54 PM
No Gene - I don't. But paying for a ticket to Soxfest also shouldn't entitle you to talk to someone as disrespectfully as people were when given the microphone as Soxfest.

All of the seminars that weekend were completely embarrassing. I went to all three featuring Kenny and Ozzie; the amount of class shown by Williams made me a big fan of his.

Palehose13
11-24-2006, 11:51 PM
All of the seminars that weekend were completely embarrassing. I went to all three featuring Kenny and Ozzie; the amount of class shown by Williams made me a big fan of his.

Agreed and that was why I approached him to give him some support afterwards.

jabrch
11-25-2006, 01:33 AM
I'm glad to hear there are other people who saw it the same way I did. Paying for a ticket to any event shouldn't give you any right to be a complete and total assbag towards anyone, regardless of what they did or didn't do.