PDA

View Full Version : Kip Wells Watch 03/06/02 (Scott Eyre too)


DrCrawdad
03-06-2002, 01:52 AM
Toronto Blue Jays (5) vs. Pittsburgh Pirates (4)

March 06, 2002 01:36 AM EST

DUNEDIN, Florida (Ticker) -- Tom Wilson squeezed home Brian Lesher in the bottom of the 10th inning to lift the Toronto Blue Jays to a 5-4 victory over the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Lesher singled off Pirates relief pitcher Damaso Marte to open the inning and advanced on Chris Woodward''s sacrifice and Chad Mottola''s infield hit.
Toronto''s Roy Halladay had his second straight rough outing, allowing three runs and five hits in two innings. In three-plus innings this spring, Halladay has given up eight runs on 11 hits.

Halladay was followed by Chad Ricketts, Chris Peters and Scott Eyre, who combined to allow one run and three hits over six innings. Scott Cassidy tossed two perfect innings to notch the win.

Pittsburgh's Kip Wells allowed two hits over three scoreless innings.
Wells, who was acquired from the Chicago White Sox in the offseason, is vying for a spot in the rotation.

VeeckAsInWreck
03-06-2002, 03:19 AM
Is it too early to assume that Kip is well on his way to the HOF???
I think they have a spring training wing in Cooperstown. :smile:
They can put him next to Julio Ramirez :cool:

Paulwny
03-06-2002, 07:24 AM
Wells could be the opening day starter.

http://www.canoe.ca/Slam020305/mlb_pit-ap.html

DrCrawdad
03-06-2002, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck
Is it too early to assume that Kip is well on his way to the HOF???
I think they have a spring training wing in Cooperstown. :smile:

I sure hope KW's trade works out for the Sox. I hope their evaluation of Ritchie is right. Reading about Ritchie getting tagged in his first ST start didn't do much to calm my nerves.

I was not too conerned over dealing Lowe & Fogg, but Wells certainly has the potential to be really good, as he showed on occasion last season, and he has the potential to be good for years to come.

I hope it's not a matter of inconsistency vs. constancy. Wells inconsistency vs. Ritchie constantly getting tagged.

God I hope KW got this trade right.

VeeckAsInWreck
03-06-2002, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad



God I hope KW got this trade right.

Relax DrC, It was only the first start of ST for him. He'll bring it all together when it counts. if it happens during the last week of ST then it will be cause for concern. For now we can sleep comfortably at night. :smile:

DrCrawdad
03-06-2002, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck


Relax DrC, It was only the first start of ST for him. He'll bring it all together when it counts. if it happens during the last week of ST then it will be cause for concern. For now we can sleep comfortably at night. :smile:

Thanks for the comforting words. I hope that you're right.

I just have this nagging feeling that this deal is going to blow-up in KW's face as the Sirotka-David Wells trade did. (The only thing that has saved KW a total embarassment on that deal is the fact that Sirotka had arm troubles.)

HawkDJ
03-06-2002, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad


I sure hope KW's trade works out for the Sox. I hope their evaluation of Ritchie is right. Reading about Ritchie getting tagged in his first ST start didn't do much to calm my nerves.

I was not too conerned over dealing Lowe & Fogg, but Wells certainly has the potential to be really good, as he showed on occasion last season, and he has the potential to be good for years to come.

I hope it's not a matter of inconsistency vs. constancy. Wells inconsistency vs. Ritchie constantly getting tagged.

God I hope KW got this trade right.

Todd Ritchie always starts off slow in Spring Training. I wouldn't be too worried about him if I were you.