PDA

View Full Version : Ken Rosenthal: Cubs now after Julio Lugo

It's Time
11-21-2006, 12:06 AM
A Lou Piniella favorite I guess. Now I am starting to get ticked. Who will they sign next?:angry:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6192462

Tragg
11-21-2006, 12:08 AM
I liked it better myself when they spent $15 million on Howry.

They're not doing much to help their pitching...

SABRSox
11-21-2006, 12:11 AM
I liked it better myself when they spent $15 million on Howry.

They're not doing much to help their pitching...

But Kerry Wood and Mark Prior are due for good years.

LuvSox
11-21-2006, 12:12 AM
Who will they sign next?:angry:

Rowand?

No! Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DaleJRFan
11-21-2006, 12:19 AM
Somewhere in Latin America, Joey Cora is shining up his fungo bat... :cool:

The 2007 Cubs will be the 2006 Mets... make a big splash in the offseason, win a lot of games with big scores but get your ass handed to you by a lesser team in the playoffs because you can't pitch.

Have at it Hendry. It's fun watching people spend money like its going out of style. All this is doing is making me appreciate KW even more. At leastI know the Sox will have a chance in five years.

I wonder how many draft picks the Scrubs give up this offseason????

FedEx227
11-21-2006, 12:22 AM
But Kerry Wood and Mark Prior are due for good years.

"Hey, if Mark Prior is healthy they have a good rotation"

how many times have oyu guys heard that so far this year?

TheOldRoman
11-21-2006, 12:26 AM

The 2007 Cubs will be the 2006 Mets... make a big splash in the offseason, win a lot of games with big scores but get your ass handed to you by a lesser team in the playoffs because you can't pitch.

Have at it Hendry. It's fun watching people spend money like its going out of style. All this is doing is making me appreciate KW even more. At leastI know the Sox will have a chance in five years.

The Cubs will be like a light version of the Mets. They won't have as much power, and the power they have isn't balanced at all (all righties). Also, their bullpen is worse than the Mets', and their rotation is much worse. On top of that, the Cubs are going to be attrocious on defense, where the Mets were very strong (3B and CF). The Cubs might win some games, but they aren't going to sniff the playoffs, even in that division.
But then again, winning isn't the MO at the Tribune Towers.
On the ride home, I heard Harry Teinowicz saying Hendry got an "A" grade for the offseason already, no matter what else happens. I heard Murph on my lunch break saying that the Cubs are so good, anything short of a World Series appearance would be a failure. :rolleyes:The blue sheep (as Hangar calls them) heard that, and they will be camping out in front of the Urinal to buy tickets.

chisoxmike
11-21-2006, 12:39 AM
Consider the source. He said Garland was as good as gone Saturday for a minor league pitcher...:rolleyes:

WizardsofOzzie
11-21-2006, 12:41 AM
A Lou Piniella favorite I guess. Now I am starting to get ticked. Who will they sign next?:angry:

:whocares:

They've still ignored the thing they needed to address most coming into the season PITCHING

veeter
11-21-2006, 12:42 AM
The cubs will not only not make the playoffs, they won't win the division. Book it.

WizardsofOzzie
11-21-2006, 12:43 AM
The cubs will not only not make the playoffs, they won't win the division. Book it.
3rd place at best

rowand33
11-21-2006, 12:44 AM

as much as I'd love to book it, and as much as I think their pitching blows...

the NL Central was taken by an 83 win team last year.

Cubs have a shot, hate to admit it...

again, not saying they're good. bad, bad division.

monkeypants
11-21-2006, 12:46 AM
I heard Murph on my lunch break saying that the Cubs are so good, anything short of a World Series appearance would be a failure. :rolleyes:The blue sheep (as Hangar calls them) heard that, and they will be camping out in front of the Urinal to buy tickets.

I too heard this quote and couldn't believe Murph really said that. Sure the National League is horrible but the only thing of importance this 66 win team has done so far is add Soriano and to a much lesser extent Mark de la Rosa. That's it. So delusional.

It's Time
11-21-2006, 12:47 AM
3rd place at best

In that division? If they add two starters, I'd pick them in a landslide to win that division. Very disturbing offseason thus far.

oeo
11-21-2006, 12:49 AM

Wait, so they will then have three shortstops? Okay...quite a team you're putting together there Hendry.

It's Time
11-21-2006, 12:53 AM
Wait, so they will then have three shortstops? Okay...quite a team you're putting together there Hendry.

Izturis would be trade bait and I think Cedeno will be lucky just to make the team as a reserve.

WizardsofOzzie
11-21-2006, 12:55 AM
In that division? If they add two starters, I'd pick them in a landslide to win that division. Very disturbing offseason thus far.
I don't see them having the funds to add 2 starters of decent quality, let alone enough to propel them to win even the crappy NL central. After vastly overpaying for ramirez, derosa, soriano, and possibly blanco, how much money could they possibly have left to sign some decent starters? Once again the cubs season hinges on the health of Prior, the stability of Zambrano, and the bullpen pulling its head from its ass

RadioheadRocks
11-21-2006, 12:56 AM

It's only November 20, and every move the Cubs are making can be attributed to the White Sox raising the bar. Let Hendry keep spending boatloads, like I've said before this is a team that tried to buy the lofty title of "Wild Card" when they signed Nomar in 2004, and we all know how THAT turned out.

WizardsofOzzie
11-21-2006, 12:56 AM
Izturis would be trade bait and I think Cedeno will be lucky just to make the team as a reserve.
Didn't they have 2 or 3 2nd basemen a season or 2 ago?

MrX
11-21-2006, 01:03 AM
Lugo wants 4 years/32 million, if Hendry is dumb enough to give it to him I don't see what the problem is. They're not going to have money to even get mediocre starters if guys like Gil Meche are asking for 8 million a year.

crazyozzie02
11-21-2006, 01:20 AM
07 cubs = 01-04 white sox

Jerksticks
11-21-2006, 02:41 AM
All the money spent this offseason is gonna be a huge dark smelly cloud over the team all year, and for years to come. The Yankees do it but it makes sense- they're the New York Yankees. Steinbrenner ain't a dummy-every time he makes moves they tick people off, but they are still dope moves. People still say, "Damn that's a hell of a team." The Cubs signings this offseason just seem weird and ARBITRARY. Almost creepy. Way to go KW, the southside thanks you for causing this.

CHISOXFAN13
11-21-2006, 02:55 AM

Disturbing how? If the Cubs sign every free agent available that means the teams the White Sox compete against for division and league titles didn't get any of them.

But why do I get the feeling some people on here would have been happier if Soriano landed with Minnesota.

oeo
11-21-2006, 03:06 AM
Disturbing how? If the Cubs sign every free agent available that means the teams the White Sox compete against for division and league titles didn't get any of them.

But why do I get the feeling some people on here would have been happier if Soriano landed with Minnesota.

Why am I getting the idea that a lot of people here think that the Flubs are putting together a good team? :?:

It doesn't matter how many Sorianos they sign, they're not going to be a winning team until they put together a pitching rotation. And, oh wow, they're going to go get Lugo...big deal. It doesn't matter how many runs they score, if the other team can score even more.

Good for the Flubs...when Soriano is on the decline in about five years, and they want to get rid of him, they're not going to be able to because they're still going to owe the guy $51 million.

Some of you actually think the Flubs have a good team? They won sixty something games last year, Alfonso Soriano, Julio Lugo, and Mark DeRosa are not going to make up a 20-game difference.

rowand33
11-21-2006, 03:16 AM
Some of you actually think the Flubs have a good team? They won sixty something games last year, Alfonso Soriano, Julio Lugo, and Mark DeRosa are not going to make up a 20-game difference.

Jason Schmidt would help though, and that rumor is going around.

kittle42
11-21-2006, 03:21 AM
All those wasting their concerns on anything the Cubs do in the offseason need another hobby.

MUsoxfan
11-21-2006, 03:32 AM
The Cubs will spend money like Bill Gates is in charge. They don't care, they're selling. There are several business groups interested in the Wrigleyville Cash Cow. They're not spending their money, they're spending the future buyer's money

Beautox
11-21-2006, 06:02 AM

Its ok, all the ML teams have lots of money from new revenue streams, the market will correct it self in the near future. Last year teams got money from the sale of the expos this year with the new CBA, in a few years when teams like the dodgers and cubs are tied up in those large contracts teams like the sox should be able to make smart bussiness moves. :gulp:

As for them loosing picks, thats a shame because this is going to be a very deep draft.

spiffie
11-21-2006, 11:12 AM
Why am I getting the idea that a lot of people here think that the Flubs are putting together a good team? :?:

It doesn't matter how many Sorianos they sign, they're not going to be a winning team until they put together a pitching rotation. And, oh wow, they're going to go get Lugo...big deal. It doesn't matter how many runs they score, if the other team can score even more.

Good for the Flubs...when Soriano is on the decline in about five years, and they want to get rid of him, they're not going to be able to because they're still going to owe the guy $51 million.

If you're the Cubs you're also assuming a healthy season from Lee, which is a major improvement over John Mabry.

I think if you're the Cubs you're looking at the NL Central and seeing no one who looks really strong. The Astros are going to have Roy Oswalt and a gaping wreck of a rotation. The Brewers are predicted to be good every year and falter. The Reds have a weak rotation. The Cardinals are still basically Pujols, Carpenter, and cross your fingers. If the Cubs get another typical year from Zambrano and if Rich Hill does what pretty much every baseball observer not here on WSI expects him to do that gives them a solid 1-2 punch. If they sign Meche he should be a decent #3 for them, especially moving from AL to NL. Get decent 11-11 years from Sean Marshall and any of their other 4,000 or so young pitchers, and you have a team that might be able to get 84 wins, which in the dilapidated NL Central could be good. Let me be clear, the Cubs aren't putting together a good team. If the Cubs team, with Lugo and Meche and no other changes were in the AL Central they would be lucky to finish ahead of anyone but the Royals. But in that ****ty division the team they're putting together seems like one that could have a shot at winning it.

oeo
11-21-2006, 12:36 PM
If you're the Cubs you're also assuming a healthy season from Lee, which is a major improvement over John Mabry.

I think if you're the Cubs you're looking at the NL Central and seeing no one who looks really strong. The Astros are going to have Roy Oswalt and a gaping wreck of a rotation. The Brewers are predicted to be good every year and falter. The Reds have a weak rotation. The Cardinals are still basically Pujols, Carpenter, and cross your fingers. If the Cubs get another typical year from Zambrano and if Rich Hill does what pretty much every baseball observer not here on WSI expects him to do that gives them a solid 1-2 punch. If they sign Meche he should be a decent #3 for them, especially moving from AL to NL. Get decent 11-11 years from Sean Marshall and any of their other 4,000 or so young pitchers, and you have a team that might be able to get 84 wins, which in the dilapidated NL Central could be good. Let me be clear, the Cubs aren't putting together a good team. If the Cubs team, with Lugo and Meche and no other changes were in the AL Central they would be lucky to finish ahead of anyone but the Royals. But in that ****ty division the team they're putting together seems like one that could have a shot at winning it.

The Cardinals and Astros both have better pitching staffs than the Flubs. They're going to try to win the slugging game. They're going to put up a ton of runs in Wrigley, but they're also going to be giving up a ton of runs. I don't care how bad the division is, Lee and Soriano are not going to make up a 20-game difference (and with another year for guys like Wainwright and Reyes, the Cards will probably win over 90 games next year). The Cardinals are not very good, but the Flubs are awful. There's no way this current team wins 91 or 92 games (what I think will win the NL Central next year; I highly doubt it's only going to take 84). I'll put the Flubs in fourth place, behind the Cards, Astros, and Brewers.

spiffie
11-21-2006, 12:44 PM
The Cardinals and Astros both have better pitching staffs than the Flubs. They're going to try to win the slugging game. They're going to put up a ton of runs in Wrigley, but they're also going to be giving up a ton of runs. I don't care how bad the division is, Lee and Soriano are not going to make up a 20-game difference (and with another year for guys like Wainwright and Reyes, the Cards will probably win over 90 games next year). The Cardinals are not very good, but the Flubs are awful. There's no way this current team wins 91 or 92 games (what I think will win the NL Central next year; I highly doubt it's only going to take 84). I'll put the Flubs in fourth place, behind the Cards, Astros, and Brewers.
If Petitte and Clemens are both out the door the Astros rotation is:
Roy Oswalt
Wandy Rodriguez
Taylor Buchholz
Fernando Nieve
blank (maybe Brandon Backe)

That is a terrible rotation. I cannot see the Astros being over .500 with that rotation. Obviously if Petitte and/or Clemens return that's a different story, but right now it sounds like they're both gone.

The Cardinals are pinning a lot of hope on those two young guys. Edmonds is another year older and might fall apart at any moment. While I tend to think the Cards will improve simply because they are the Cardinals, they are basically a Scott Rolen injury or an Anthony Reyes disappointment away from being a .500 team at best.

Scary as it is, the Brew Crew might be the best team in that division. And I have trouble seeing them reaching .500. This might finally be the year a team finished sub-.500 and makes the playoffs.

Bill Naharodny
11-21-2006, 01:39 PM

I thought that I heard they don't give up any top picks because teams in the bottom half of the league don't have to relinquish them. That sounded new and strange. Anyone else heard that?

Ol' No. 2
11-21-2006, 01:40 PM
I thought that I heard they don't give up any top picks because teams in the bottom half of the league don't have to relinquish them. That sounded new and strange. Anyone else heard that?That's wrong.

Hitmen77
11-21-2006, 01:58 PM
People here seem to assume that only the Cubs will sign FAs this year and that the Cardinals and Astros won't add anyone. I don't know about the Astros situation, but I have to imagine that the Cards have the resources to improve their team through free agent signings. After all, they are world champs, have a brand new ballpark, and are probably assured of a sold out season.

Standing Ovation
11-21-2006, 02:33 PM
The Cubs aren't going anywhere, as long as Dempster remains their closer.

WhiteSox5187
11-21-2006, 02:43 PM
I've been thinking about it, assuming you build your line up around SOriano, Ramirez, Jones and Lee, you have exactly 448 strike outs coming from your first four guys. 160 of those strikeouts belong to your leadoff hitter, not too good, if you ask me. Of course I know next to nothing about baseball. It's hard to bludgeon your way into the playoffs, just ask the Sox about that, but when the division leader won 83 games last year, ya gotta think that anybody in that division has a descent shot.

11-21-2006, 02:47 PM
People here seem to assume that only the Cubs will sign FAs this year and that the Cardinals and Astros won't add anyone. I don't know about the Astros situation, but I have to imagine that the Cards have the resources to improve their team through free agent signings. After all, they are world champs, have a brand new ballpark, and are probably assured of a sold out season.

As long as they have Sir Albert in the line up, they will be competitive

DumpJerry
11-21-2006, 02:50 PM
Soriano and Lugo would help the Cubs to an incredible degree. I read somewhere that Soriano has added a 12-6 fall-off-the-table curve to his pitching portfolio and Lugo's Split Finger Fastball is untouchable.

Deadly stuff.

(scary thought is how many Cub fans would take this post and run with it as they celebrate the signings.)

oeo
11-21-2006, 03:03 PM
If Petitte and Clemens are both out the door the Astros rotation is:
Roy Oswalt
Wandy Rodriguez
Taylor Buchholz
Fernando Nieve
blank (maybe Brandon Backe)

That is a terrible rotation. I cannot see the Astros being over .500 with that rotation. Obviously if Petitte and/or Clemens return that's a different story, but right now it sounds like they're both gone.

I really wish Clemens would just retire, but I'm sure he'll be back for another year with the Stros. And even, if not, look at the Flubs rotation. I'll take Oswalt over Zambrano, and after that both teams have a bunch of question marks. Add Clemens to the Astros rotation, and their rotation is much better.

Hangar18
11-21-2006, 05:25 PM
On the ride home, I heard Harry Teinowicz saying Hendry got an "A" grade for the offseason already, no matter what else happens. I heard Murph on my lunch break saying that the Cubs are so good, anything short of a World Series appearance would be a failure. :rolleyes:The blue sheep (as Hangar calls them) heard that, and they will be camping out in front of the Urinal to buy tickets.

Heh heh.

Hangar18
11-21-2006, 05:26 PM
Soriano and Lugo would help the Cubs to an incredible degree. I read somewhere that Soriano has added a 12-6 fall-off-the-table curve to his pitching portfolio and Lugo's Split Finger Fastball is untouchable.

Deadly stuff.

(scary thought is how many Cub fans would take this post and run with it as they celebrate the signings.)

CLTV is reporting a run on Soriano jerseys ......

JB98
11-21-2006, 06:40 PM

There aren't two quality starters to be had.

JB98
11-21-2006, 06:40 PM
07 cubs = 01-04 white sox

DING DING DING DING DING!!!! WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!

JB98
11-21-2006, 06:41 PM
The Cubs aren't going anywhere, as long as Dempster remains their closer.

DING DING DING DING DING!!!! WE HAVE YET ANOTHER WINNER!!!!!

FarWestChicago
11-21-2006, 06:41 PM

All those wasting their concerns on anything the Cubs do in the offseason need another hobby.There is nothing worse than the Flubsessed in the offseason. The psychotic Flubsessed are always more certain "this is the year" than the Flubs fans. :rolleyes:

It might be time for me to whack a few of our more neurotic Flubs watchers until opening day. It might slow the lot of them down. :redneck

russ99
11-21-2006, 08:33 PM

Sure, it it were still the 2006 season. The Tigers showed everyone that last year means nothing. The problem for the Scrubs is the Tigers developed most of the team in-house and picked up a few choice FAs to fill the gaps. The Cubs had nothing but Aramiz, Lee and Zambozo.

2007 predictions (way, way, way early):

1. Cards - Series champs re-sign Edmonds and always seem to get a good pitcher every offseason. Jocketty knows what he;s doing and will shore up lineup.
2. Astros - Decent team in place, need one slugger (C. Lee?) and despite the potential loss of Clemens and/or Pettite, they have boatloads of excellent pitching prospects that can either step in at (3-5) and/or be trade bait for a few solid starters. They also have tons of payroll room.
3. Pirates - Good young team, I see them as the surprise of 2007.
4. Cubs - Buying headcases and malcontents at top dollar and ignoring the pitching staff is a sure way to fail.
5. Brewers - Not ready to take the leap, just yet.
6. Reds - Better, but they still have a ways to go. Can't decide if they want hitters or pitchers. Dunn could be dealt = big step back.

soxinem1
11-21-2006, 09:59 PM
"Hey, if Mark Prior is healthy they have a good rotation"

how many times have oyu guys heard that so far this year?

And in 2005, 2004..........

In all seriousness, a low-range very over-all average SS is not what they need, but if they want to blow the dough, it's on them.

Honestly, I think Izturis is way better than Lugo.

So with Cedeno still on the team, where will Ryan Theriot play? If they don't want him, he can play for the White Sox any day.

Ziggy S
11-21-2006, 10:08 PM
So with Cedeno still on the team, where will Ryan Theriot play? If they don't want him, he can play for the White Sox any day.

You know he's a 2B and we have Iguichi, right? I hate to bring the Hawk in, but

:hawk

Where's he gonna play?

soxinem1
11-21-2006, 10:11 PM
You know he's a 2B and we have Iguichi, right? I hate to bring the Hawk in, but

:hawk

Where's he gonna play?

We could break him in as a utility guy. He can play 2B, SS, 3B and probably LF. He's fast and can bunt as well.

I realize we have Tadahito, but after 2007, he's a FA...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/13/Jokermovie.jpg/180px-Jokermovie.jpg

'Think about the future....'

Bill Naharodny
11-21-2006, 10:17 PM
That's wrong.

I don't think so. I'd read it somewhere else, and this is from Phil Rogers' column today:

"The Nationals will instead receive two draft picks for him, neither of which can be higher than 31st overall."