PDA

View Full Version : Chew on this...1. Pods 2. Young

Jerksticks
11-20-2006, 05:51 PM
I usually just read all your threads without posting much, but check this out.

The majority of us do not want Podsednik back because
A) He's "lost a step"
B) He has way too many fly-outs

While I agree flyouts give him zero chance to beat out a throw, his 2006 OBP was comparable to the more coveted lead off guys:
Crawford: .348
Pierre: .330
Roberts: .360 (career .344)
Matthews Jr: .371 (career .336)
Damon: .356

Pods: .333 (career .342) 2003: .379 2005: .351

Basically these guys that had "career years in 2006", that we want to dump Pods and prospects for, are not much better than an average Pods at getting on base. A good Pods is better than a good Roberts/Matthews/Pierre. Damon/Crawford are exceptional lead-off men, and a good Pods isn't far behind.
Pods 2003: awesome
Pods 2004: pretty good
Pods 2005: overall awesome
Pods 2006: ththththtbththth (fart noise) but still respectable OBP
Pods 2007: ???

For 2-3 million and not getting rid of prospects/money/BA/Garcia= bargain with huge potential at a rebound

Put Michael Young(captain contact and captain i don't strike out and captain i hit awesome with RISP and captain i hit awesome with 2 strikes) behind Pods at #2 and you'll see a way better Pods. That way Iguchi gets moved down and can just concentrate on RBIs like we all want him to.

Also Young hits the **** out of the 2 roadblocks in the AL Central:
Twinkies: avg .314 OBP .400
Tigs: avg .326 OBP .356

Plus he's just a bad*** american boy who plays baseball the way we like it on the southside- scrappy. I think Pods is a bargain as a leadoff guy who becomes a GREAT leadoff guy if you put a true #2 behind him.

I dunno, I say give Pods another shot if we can get Young behind him, what are your opinions?

nysox35
11-20-2006, 05:55 PM
Based on the current market, I am also in favor of keeping Scott around. He'll be relatively cheap, and as you say, the upside is huge.
I don't think Iguchi at #2 is the problem though, but I'd like Young at #2...who wouldn't?

I think what we'd pay Pods is better than going for Pierre/Roberts/Matthews Jr. to the tune of 3/30, 3/20, 4/40.

JermaineDye05
11-20-2006, 06:02 PM
whoa I just had deja vu, anywho I'm not big on keeping Pods as our starting left fielder and lead off man, the only upside I see is Mrs. Podsednik still in the stands

hose
11-20-2006, 06:03 PM
I don't think Texas will deal him, but if the Kenny can get him then I agree he would look good behind Pods in the line up.

buehrle4cy05
11-20-2006, 06:05 PM
The biggest issue with me involving Pods last year was his overall inablility to steal bases consistently. I don't have the stats in front of me, but it seems like he was at or around the ML average in SB percentage.

23Ventura
11-20-2006, 06:13 PM
The biggest issue with me involving Pods last year was his overall inablility to steal bases consistently. I don't have the stats in front of me, but it seems like he was at or around the ML average in SB percentage.
I believe he was caught stealing about a third of his attempts. That's just not good enough.

Jerksticks
11-20-2006, 06:24 PM
yea but i think a better contact hitter at the plate behind him increases his SB%. Young doesn't swing through fastballs or strike out as much as Iguchi. That means that Young will see way more junk pitches taht are easy to steal on. I think that increases SB%. I dunno, I just wanna see Young in Sox fatigues next year. But I'll say it now Pods will have a dope 2007.

MUsoxfan
11-20-2006, 06:28 PM
I believe he was caught stealing about a third of his attempts. That's just not good enough.

So you want a guy that steals alot of bases and never gets caught? Hmm....

There's only a small handful of guys that hardly ever get caught:

Crawford
Ichiro
D. Roberts
Corey P
Ichiro

Those are the only guys that stole more bases than Podsednik and had a tremendous success rate. As you put it...67% isn't good enough

Jerksticks
11-20-2006, 06:38 PM
We can't have the best player at every position and a good Pods is easily top 10 leadoff guy in the league.

Domeshot17
11-20-2006, 07:29 PM
He is about as good was what we can get. Crawford is going NO WHERE. We have a better chance at getting Rocco Baldelli from Tampa. Ichiro probably is going no where. Roberts is on the decline of his career, Matthews won't be jack outside of Arlington and Pierre just signed a MASSIVE deal in LA (La is now paying 25 mil for 2 guys who will hit 7 home runs combined).

chisoxmike
11-20-2006, 07:34 PM
As much as I would love to see it, I think it's becoming less likely Young is coming to the Sox.

Baby Fisk
11-20-2006, 07:42 PM
As much as I would love to see it, I think it's becoming less likely Young is coming to the Sox.

I'd love to have him. Question is, how much do you sacrifice to get him?

Jerksticks
11-20-2006, 07:51 PM
Maybe KW could convince the Rangers that Mackowiak is their answer in CF. :cool:

Frater Perdurabo
11-20-2006, 09:35 PM
Plus he's just a bad*** american boy who plays baseball the way we like it on the southside- scrappy.

As a DFW resident I've gotten to see Michael Young play lots of games at second base and shortstop. I agree with your assessment of Young, but for the record, ethnically Young is Mexican-American. No matter what, though, I would absolutely love to see Young as a fixture at SS at 35th & Shields for the next decade for all the reasons you list.

I think Young's power will continue to develop, but in the Cell his HR numbers would increase even more (many of the doubles he hits in Arlington would be HRs at the Cell).

TheVulture
11-21-2006, 03:52 AM
Plus he's just a bad*** american boy who plays baseball the way we like it on the southside- scrappy.

I agree with your assessment of Young, but for the record, ethnically Young is Mexican-American.

Young was born in California, so how exactly is he not an "american boy?" I don't get the point of making a record of his ethnicity.

Lillian
11-21-2006, 05:13 AM
The problem with Young at SS, is that it degrades the defense, at arguably the most important defensive position. I'd rather see an offensive upgrade in center. If the Sox could get good production from a center fielder, they could afford to leave Uribe in the 9 hole. Even though his OBP is awful, 20+ homers, and 75 RBI's, are more than adequate at that spot in the lineup, even in the A.L. Juan has also been very good at bringing in runners from 3rd, with less than two outs.

The intangibles with Uribe are that K.W. loves him, and he's still young enough that he could improve at the plate. He has shown some pretty impressive flashes of good hitting at times. Walker has always said that he is very talented. I think everyone agrees that his problem is a lack of plate discipline, and poor pitch recognition.

Please don't missunderstand me. Of course I'd take Young, straight up, over Uribe, but that isn't an option.

esbrechtel
11-21-2006, 04:17 PM
alot of us seem to forget pods had a short spring training and did not get the opportunity to get all of his preparation in before the season started. I feel he started behind the 8 ball this past season due to injuries and all that stuff from 2005....that being said i think keeping him around this year at a relatively cheap price is better then testing the waters of the FA market this year. It is quite obvious that guys are getting paid WAY too much thanks in part to our neighbors to the north...

Frater Perdurabo
11-21-2006, 06:21 PM
Young was born in California, so how exactly is he not an "american boy?" I don't get the point of making a record of his ethnicity.

Some would argue that California is it's own country. :tongue:

Young is as "American" as anyone else born in California. But Young himself has made his ethnicity a matter of public record. It doesn't make any difference to me; I don't care if he's white, brown, black, yellow, purple or pink; I just wanted to set the record straight lest someone think he's, say, a corn-fed farm boy from Indiana.
:D:

Jerksticks
11-21-2006, 08:50 PM
alot of us seem to forget pods had a short spring training and did not get the opportunity to get all of his preparation in before the season started. I feel he started behind the 8 ball this past season due to injuries and all that stuff from 2005....that being said i think keeping him around this year at a relatively cheap price is better then testing the waters of the FA market this year. It is quite obvious that guys are getting paid WAY too much thanks in part to our neighbors to the north...

Exactly the point of this post. Pods 2006 looked like he sputtered in 2nd gear from 2005. He never got to stop after 2005 and regroup for 2006. His 2007 will be dope, I have a feeling. I love Iguchi to death, but we are using him wrong. A natural #2 would make Pods 100 times better, and JD would come up with RISP all the time.

SO here's a new question:
If we can't get Young, who are some other #2 hitters similar in style. Who are some great contact guys that maybe fly under the radar in trade talks? I have no idea. Jump all over me for this one, but what about AJ? He's not the fleetest of foot, but he's a tough ass out.

sullythered
11-21-2006, 10:23 PM
As much as I loved Scotty's play in '05, I was completely frustrated and angry with the way he played in '06. It wasn't that he "lost a step," or whatever. It was that the guy consistantly made stupid mental mistakes that looked to me like they stemmed from a lack of caring. If that keeps up, I have no intrest in him being our left fielder next year. I'll take Sweeney or Fields if I have to.

On a seperate note, I don't know why, but I get the feeling that KW is gonna make a relatively big move involving someone we haven't thought of or mentioned yet. Something like the Bartolo Colon deal. I have no idea why I think this, I just do.

esbrechtel
11-22-2006, 04:05 PM
As much as I loved Scotty's play in '05, I was completely frustrated and angry with the way he played in '06. It wasn't that he "lost a step," or whatever. It was that the guy consistantly made stupid mental mistakes that looked to me like they stemmed from a lack of caring.

I honestly cant see where you are coming from....pods blamed himself for the sox not making the playoffs, he knew that he wasnt playing as well as he should have and wanted another chance to prove himself...He said he would love to play for the sox again next year..Stealing bases is probably one of the hardest things to do in baseball...he never got enough time to get himself 100 percent prepared...i have a feeling we could see the 2005 pods again next year...

Hangar18
11-22-2006, 04:22 PM
Lets not also forget how the SOX, including their fanbase, were ready to run Pods out of town as soon as the season ended. Sometime during the last couple of weeks, the SOX quietly acknowledged they were probably going to keep him ..................

VladtheImpaler
11-22-2006, 06:29 PM
I usually just read all your threads without posting much, but check this out.

The majority of us do not want Podsednik back because
A) He's "lost a step"
B) He has way too many fly-outs

While I agree flyouts give him zero chance to beat out a throw, his 2006 OBP was comparable to the more coveted lead off guys:
Crawford: .348
Pierre: .330
Roberts: .360 (career .344)
Matthews Jr: .371 (career .336)
Damon: .356

Pods: .333 (career .342) 2003: .379 2005: .351

Basically these guys that had "career years in 2006", that we want to dump Pods and prospects for, are not much better than an average Pods at getting on base. A good Pods is better than a good Roberts/Matthews/Pierre. Damon/Crawford are exceptional lead-off men, and a good Pods isn't far behind.
Pods 2003: awesome
Pods 2004: pretty good
Pods 2005: overall awesome
Pods 2006: ththththtbththth (fart noise) but still respectable OBP
Pods 2007: ???

For 2-3 million and not getting rid of prospects/money/BA/Garcia= bargain with huge potential at a rebound

Put Michael Young(captain contact and captain i don't strike out and captain i hit awesome with RISP and captain i hit awesome with 2 strikes) behind Pods at #2 and you'll see a way better Pods. That way Iguchi gets moved down and can just concentrate on RBIs like we all want him to.

Also Young hits the **** out of the 2 roadblocks in the AL Central:
Twinkies: avg .314 OBP .400
Tigs: avg .326 OBP .356

Plus he's just a bad*** american boy who plays baseball the way we like it on the southside- scrappy. I think Pods is a bargain as a leadoff guy who becomes a GREAT leadoff guy if you put a true #2 behind him.

I dunno, I say give Pods another shot if we can get Young behind him, what are your opinions?

no

Jerksticks
11-22-2006, 06:48 PM
no

ohhhh ok...yea good idea you got there sport.