PDA

View Full Version : "We're pretty well set" Tiger GM says

Fenway
11-20-2006, 03:43 PM
from the Boston Globe

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2006/11/19/checking_the_shopping_lists/?page=full

There aren't many teams that can say their offseason pursuits have been concluded before Thanksgiving, but the Detroit Tigers are one.
"We're pretty well set," said Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski before leaving the GM meetings in Naples, Fla., Thursday.

The Tigers might have lost the World Series to the Cardinals in five games, but their pitching talent and their added offensive presence with Gary Sheffield already make them an early favorite to repeat as American League champions.

In short, the Tigers have done nothing to diminish their chances in the tough AL Central. The White Sox will likely get better by trading one of their starters for a hitter. The Twins will attempt to strike on a starting pitcher and another hitter later in the free agent process. Cleveland, which has already acquired second baseman Josh Barfield, desperately needs a closer and bullpen help.

Oblong
11-20-2006, 04:26 PM
"We're not pretty well set" Tiger fan says...

I'm not in favor of anything major and I definately don't like any of these FA signings going on around the league. But Detroit needs one or two more moves, especially being in the AL Central. 95 wins may not win the wild card.

ondafarm
11-20-2006, 04:41 PM
The only problem is they weren't ALCD champs, they won the wildcard.

caulfield12
11-20-2006, 05:44 PM
I think they are going to have a problem figuring out what to do with Monroe and Thames. Not sure why they traded for Neifi Perez. Inge, Casey and Granderson are question marks to me (not any more than Pods, Anderson and Uribe).

I-Rod is aging, and they have to replace Walker (I think) from the LH side.

It all comes down to the pitching with them, same as the White Sox felt coming into this season.

It will be interesting to see if they give the closer's job to Zumaya or leave things as they are so Zumaya comes in from the 5th through the 8th, whenever he's most needed.

Oblong
11-20-2006, 06:39 PM
Thames is a goner. He barely sniffed the post season. For some reason the team's not high on him. Monroe's not as good as many Tiger fans think.

I was hoping for a decent corner OF so that Maggs could DH but now that Sheffield's on the team and will primarily DH, that theory is shot. Speaking of Sheffield, the team's giving him Trammell's #3 jersey.

MUsoxfan
11-20-2006, 06:41 PM
Speaking of Sheffield, the team's giving him Trammell's #3 jersey.

Ouch. Who did Trammell spit on while he was being pushed out the door:?:

WizardsofOzzie
11-20-2006, 06:50 PM
You are not "pretty well set" when you get your ass handed to you by an 83 win Cardinals team, and your only solution is to sign an aging clubhouse cancer

Oblong
11-20-2006, 07:36 PM
Ouch. Who did Trammell spit on while he was being pushed out the door:?:

No one else has worn it since he retired 10 years ago. They asked him if he minded and he said it'd be great if Gary wore it. But of course Tram wouldn't say anything different.

Soxfanspcu11
11-20-2006, 10:48 PM
Detoilet pretty much snuck up on everyone during the 1st half of the 2006 season. They were able to win games because many people took them for granted and put them on the same page as the Kansas City Royals.

Once teams realized that they were a fairly good team, they started putting their gard up, and the result was the record that they had in the second half of the season.

I know that the argument could certainly be made that the Sox had a lousy second half as well, but the reason is definetly not the same. We all know what the Sox undoing was.

Anyway, in 2007, teams are not going to let the Tigers sneak up on them, they will be ready. I would not be surprised to see the Tigers and Kansas City fighting it out, yet again for last place in the AL Central. The only way it should be!:cool:

Grzegorz
11-21-2006, 05:47 AM
Dave Dombrowski will not tip his hand and say that the Tiger need 'x' amount of additional moves. So, I find this more a smokescreen than anything else. The 2007 Tiger staff has to be as solid as the 2006 edition, no small feat. Maroth coming back will help and moving Zumaya to the closer role provided he's ready leaves the Tiger's staff in good shape on paper.

Speaking of Sheffield, the team's giving him Trammell's #3 jersey.

That's the ulitimate slap in the face of Trammell who was the consummate Detroit Tiger.

I hope the fans sound off on this one. The Sheffield signing will come back to bite the Tigers; too bad.

Anyway, in 2007, teams are not going to let the Tigers sneak up on them, they will be ready. I would not be surprised to see the Tigers and Kansas City fighting it out, yet again for last place in the AL Central.

The same can be said for our 2007 Chicago White Sox. The White Sox will not sneak up on anyone and there certainly are issues with this team that need to be clarified before the season begins.

DumpJerry
11-21-2006, 03:27 PM
Remember, Kenny said a similar thing last week when he said he could easily hold onto all 5 starters from last year.

Never take a GM's word at face value during the offseason.

Oblong
11-21-2006, 03:57 PM
That's the ulitimate slap in the face of Trammell who was the consummate Detroit Tiger.

I hope the fans sound off on this one.

One of my season ticket partners, who is also a good friend, already said he's not going to any games next year.

I don't like it either but now I'm hoping the team did it because they are going to retire it soon anyway. I certainly hope it's not because of a falling out due to the firing. They already treat Sparky as an outcast.

JB98
11-21-2006, 06:55 PM
Why on Earth does the Boston Globe think the Sox are going to trade one of the starters for a hitter?

Foulke You
11-21-2006, 07:01 PM
Monroe's not as good as many Tiger fans think.
Perhaps my perception of Monroe is a bit skewed because he torched the Sox but he seems like he is a pretty clutch hitter. Despite his poor World Series performance, it seemed like whenever the Tigers needed a big hit or big HR, Monroe was the one doing the damage. Monroe reminds me of Joe Crede or A.J. Pierzynski's knack for the big clutch hit. I think the Tigers should hang on to him.

Foulke You
11-21-2006, 07:07 PM
Detoilet pretty much snuck up on everyone during the 1st half of the 2006 season. They were able to win games because many people took them for granted and put them on the same page as the Kansas City Royals.

Once teams realized that they were a fairly good team, they started putting their gard up, and the result was the record that they had in the second half of the season.

I know that the argument could certainly be made that the Sox had a lousy second half as well, but the reason is definetly not the same. We all know what the Sox undoing was.

Anyway, in 2007, teams are not going to let the Tigers sneak up on them, they will be ready. I would not be surprised to see the Tigers and Kansas City fighting it out, yet again for last place in the AL Central. The only way it should be!:cool:
I disagree. I think the Tigers really were a good team and showed it by becoming American League Champions. (They just wet the bed in the World Series) Anyone who thinks that the AL Central isn't going to be a 3 horse race again next year is probably a little guilty of wishful thinking. The 3 best starting pitching staffs and 2 of the best bullpens in the American League all reside in the same division...ours. I hope KW will shore up the Sox bullpen even more so that we can measure up to our AL Central competition in the pen. That really proved to be the difference in not making the playoffs in '06. Aardsma is a good start but I want at least one more arm. Rogers, Robertson, Maroth, Verlander, and Bonderman aren't going anywhere. Barring any major injuries, Detroit will probably be a factor in the AL Central. I just hope it is Detroit or Minny that is the odd team out in '07.

caulfield12
11-21-2006, 08:18 PM
I disagree. I think the Tigers really were a good team and showed it by becoming American League Champions. (They just wet the bed in the World Series) Anyone who thinks that the AL Central isn't going to be a 3 horse race again next year is probably a little guilty of wishful thinking. The 3 best starting pitching staffs and 2 of the best bullpens in the American League all reside in the same division...ours. I hope KW will shore up the Sox bullpen even more so that we can measure up to our AL Central competition in the pen. That really proved to be the difference in not making the playoffs in '06. Aardsma is a good start but I want at least one more arm. Rogers, Robertson, Maroth, Verlander, and Bonderman aren't going anywhere. Barring any major injuries, Detroit will probably be a factor in the AL Central. I just hope it is Detroit or Minny that is the odd team out in '07.

And that's what all the teams in the AL Central must have thought heading into 2006 when they heard we'd acquired Vazquez and had McCarthy in waiting.

Rogers, Verlander, Maroth, Robertson and Bonderman all had career years. Bonderman looked VERY shaky down the stretch, and he might not recover again with the Tigers. What are the odds they repeat or improve upon those performances, especially Rogers?

Oblong
11-21-2006, 09:17 PM
Perhaps my perception of Monroe is a bit skewed because he torched the Sox but he seems like he is a pretty clutch hitter. Despite his poor World Series performance, it seemed like whenever the Tigers needed a big hit or big HR, Monroe was the one doing the damage. Monroe reminds me of Joe Crede or A.J. Pierzynski's knack for the big clutch hit. I think the Tigers should hang on to him.

That's just it. He has had some very clutch hits, particularly HR's. He's also had some clutch defensive plays. But that's about it. I didn't mean to say he's a bad player. But I have a feeling many Tiger fans think he's very good. I wouldn't have a problem with him being back but I think he could be used as trade bait and I certainly wouldn't give him a 4 or 5 year deal or a lot of money. When he swings and misses he lets go of the bat with one hand and it's very aggravating to watch. That's why I get on him so much. It's lke Phil Mickelson smiling with that goofy walk as he's blowing the U.S. Open.

Dombrowski's got a tall order in locking up Bonderman. He's going to be a free agent after this upcoming season. He could easily get a 5/$75 million deal on the open market.

caulfield12
11-21-2006, 09:28 PM
That's just it. He has had some very clutch hits, particularly HR's. He's also had some clutch defensive plays. But that's about it. I didn't mean to say he's a bad player. But I have a feeling many Tiger fans think he's very good. I wouldn't have a problem with him being back but I think he could be used as trade bait and I certainly wouldn't give him a 4 or 5 year deal or a lot of money. When he swings and misses he lets go of the bat with one hand and it's very aggravating to watch. That's why I get on him so much. It's lke Phil Mickelson smiling with that goofy walk as he's blowing the U.S. Open.

Dombrowski's got a tall order in locking up Bonderman. He's going to be a free agent after this upcoming season. He could easily get a 5/$75 million deal on the open market.

Why would you spend that kind of money on Bonderman when you already have Andrew Miller coming up? I think you traded Sanchez, but Colon and Grilli and Ledezma all might be capable fifth starters as well.

With the Sheffield of Dreams deal, Magglio's above market value contract, I-Rod and Guillen, you can't afford to keep every single player. I would like to see Monroe with the White Sox if we could find a leadoff hitter to play SS...maybe Lugo or Jimmy Rollins if he could be pried lose, a tough task to be sure.

soxinem1
11-21-2006, 09:34 PM
And that's what all the teams in the AL Central must have thought heading into 2006 when they heard we'd acquired Vazquez and had McCarthy in waiting.

Rogers, Verlander, Maroth, Robertson and Bonderman all had career years. Bonderman looked VERY shaky down the stretch, and he might not recover again with the Tigers. What are the odds they repeat or improve upon those performances, especially Rogers?

Maroth missed most of the season, IIRC, and he is not the type that is really suited to be a reliever (if they think he may replace Jaime Walker) so I'm wondering if the think they have depth.

Zach Miner started off great once he took Maroth's spot, then hit the proverbial wall.

Rogers may be a jerk, but he has always been tough on the White Sox and can pitch. He has also had better seasons than last year.

And I'd take Bonderman over Vasquez, Garcia, or Contreras any day. He can deal.

But I agree about Robertson and Verlander. As good as he was against most of the AL, I think he is an elbow injury waiting to happen.

So to sum it up, I don't see the Tigers having the depth in the rotation that the Sox do. A couple of those guys are real question marks.

I say DD is looking for a starter behnd the scenes......

caulfield12
11-21-2006, 09:42 PM
Maroth missed most of the season, IIRC, and he is not the type that is really suited to be a reliever (if they think he may replace Jaime Walker) so I'm wondering if the think they have depth.

Zach Miner started off great once he took Maroth's spot, then hit the proverbial wall.

Rogers may be a jerk, but he has always been tough on the White Sox and can pitch. He has also had better seasons than last year.

And I'd take Bonderman over Vasquez, Garcia, or Contreras any day. He can deal.

But I agree about Robertson and Verlander. As good as he was against most of the AL, I think he is an elbow injury waiting to happen.

So to sum it up, I don't see the Tigers having the depth in the rotation that the Sox do. A couple of those guys are real question marks.

I say DD is looking for a starter behnd the scenes......

Forgot about Miner, the Tigers wanted Colon for Farnsworth and Miner was apparently a throw-in that proved to be one of the most influential factors in the Tigers' season.

Bonderman just isn't a $15 million per season pitcher to me. Great arm, questionable head. A little like Prior, minus the injuries.

I feel that Contreras has some great seasons left in him, and that his sciatica and leg problems will be long behind him when ST begins. He's one of the most well-conditioned athletes on the team, I'm predicting big things from him again. Of course, over the next 10 years, you'd rather have Bonderman....but I think I would take Jose over the next 3. Just a gut feeling.

Oblong
11-21-2006, 10:15 PM
Why would you spend that kind of money on Bonderman when you already have Andrew Miller coming up? I think you traded Sanchez, but Colon and Grilli and Ledezma all might be capable fifth starters as well.

With the Sheffield of Dreams deal, Magglio's above market value contract, I-Rod and Guillen, you can't afford to keep every single player. I would like to see Monroe with the White Sox if we could find a leadoff hitter to play SS...maybe Lugo or Jimmy Rollins if he could be pried lose, a tough task to be sure.

Because Kenny Rogers is 41 years old and Mike Maroth is questionable and Verlander's only in his second year. He'll be entering his third year of pro ball. The team won't trade Bonderman unless it's a deal that you just can't refuse. And that doesn't include a Texieria deal. I think that's already been discussed. Bonderman's only 24. He's going to get a ton of money from somebody on the open market. If the Tigers do not intend on signing him then they must deal him.

Rodriguez will be gone after 2008. Maybe even 2007. The team has a 2008 option for $10, with a $3 buyout so they'll probably keep him since it'll only cost $7 more.

Also, you are right about Miner. For some reason I don't think Leyland likes him. He's pitched well and come up big when maroth went down but he had a short leash on him. First sign of trouble and Leyland was out there. He also wasn't as cautious with his words in public about him. Not quite as diplomatic as he is with the others. Maybe he's arrogant. He was a bonus baby for Atlanta.

Ownership won't think twice about pushing the payroll near 90-100 million now. They just have to be smart with it. I expect them to offer Bonderman a 4/48 offer this off season. My 5/75 was what I think he'd get as a 25 year old free agent.

Monroe would fit in on the Sox. YOu guys would like him. I can see why some think he's a jerk, I did too, but when you see him interviewed he's not that way at all. Very humble, intelligent, and focused. The earring is misleading.

Also, you are right about Miner. For some reason I don't think Leyland likes him. First sign of troulbe he was always out there. He also would call him out in public unlike the others. Not as diplomatic and cliche-ish. Maybe he's arrogant. He was a bonus baby for Atlanta.