PDA

View Full Version : Take a Chance?

asboog
11-20-2006, 12:16 PM
I was wondering what everyone's opinion is about possibly taking a chance on Eric Gagne? Would it be worth it? If so at what price?

BanditJimmy
11-20-2006, 12:18 PM
Scott Borass + Damaged goods = NO THANKS!

CashMan
11-20-2006, 12:22 PM
If it was incentive laden, then YES!

pmck003
11-20-2006, 12:27 PM
Scott Borass + Damaged goods = NO THANKS!

I guess we have to deal with boras instead of any one of the other "holy" agents out there, but with starting pitching that can eat up alot of innings I think Gagne is a good gamble. I don't know much about his back injury though.

White Sox Randy
11-20-2006, 12:44 PM
I know...let's make our closer, Jenks, a set-up man so that we can give the closer job to Gagne, who will require a multi-year contract in the neighborhood of $ 5-8 mil. per year.....while the we pay the rest of our entire bullpen $ 2-3 mil.......and we can hope that he's healthy.....does this make sense to anyone else......well maybe can get him cheap...oh wait BORASS

crazyozzie02
11-20-2006, 12:47 PM
too much, and we already have two closers

mjmcend
11-20-2006, 12:48 PM
He is rumored to want a one year deal in order to build his value back up to the eight figures realm. So I would love an incentive-based one year deal. It is a perfect low-risk, astronomically high reward type deal.

White Sox Randy
11-20-2006, 01:18 PM
So, the best closer of all-time is now going to be a set-up man because he was injured for a year ?

And, even though his agent is Borass, he will work a perfectly reasonable contract for it ?

asboog
11-20-2006, 01:25 PM
I just figured there hasn't been much talk about him and he is available. I think it is something the Sox should at least look into.

samram
11-20-2006, 01:27 PM
I would take a chance on him. I'm not sure an incentive laden deal will get it done though.

CHISOXFAN13
11-20-2006, 01:38 PM
So, the best closer of all-time is now going to be a set-up man because he was injured for a year ?

And, even though his agent is Borass, he will work a perfectly reasonable contract for it ?

LOL. I guess you never saw Dennis Eckersley pitch.

mjmcend
11-20-2006, 01:39 PM
I would take a chance on him. I'm not sure an incentive laden deal will get it done though.

He has been quoted as saying that is what he wants. He is a smart gy and so is Boras. They know the way to make the most money will be to prove he is a dominant closer again next year, and then cash in big with a long term deal in 2008.

KRS1
11-20-2006, 01:42 PM
LOL. I guess you never saw Dennis Eckersley pitch.

Or Mariano Rivera.

SABRSox
11-20-2006, 02:16 PM
For an incentive laden deal, ABSOLUMENT!

oeo
11-20-2006, 02:39 PM

Best of all time? Give me a break...

It's Bobby's job to lose. If Gagne were to come here, he would need to understand who the closer is...ESPECIALLY when we would have no idea what we're going to get out of him. Now, if Gagne proved that he's the guy he was a couple of years ago, then you go ahead and move Bobby into a setup role.

CHISOXFAN13
11-20-2006, 02:50 PM
Or Mariano Rivera.

LOL. I was thinking of former closers and forgot about Rivera. I don't think Gagne is in the top-ten, much less the top closer.

caulfield12
11-20-2006, 02:52 PM
Doing that with Mulder and Gagne wouldn't be a bad idea. It's like hedging your bets...you can survive without either, you have little risk on the downside and they return to form, you're instantly a favorite to do damage in the playoffs.

spiffie
11-20-2006, 02:56 PM
If you can get Gagne on 1 or even 2 year deal with a very low guarantee but good incentives for appearances, ERA, and WHIP, I'd be all over that signing. Worst case scenario, you lose 1-2 million, best case you have a gigantic addition to the pen for a good price.

No matter what though, Jenks is closer unless he loses it. Gagne would have to be able to accept that.

CWSpalehoseCWS
11-20-2006, 03:09 PM
It might be worth the risks.

MrX
11-20-2006, 04:12 PM
Gammons is saying Boras is asking for a one year deal worth 10 million

asboog
11-20-2006, 04:26 PM

If that is the case I say forget it. It was just a thought

caulfield12
11-20-2006, 04:27 PM
If you can get Gagne on 1 or even 2 year deal with a very low guarantee but good incentives for appearances, ERA, and WHIP, I'd be all over that signing. Worst case scenario, you lose 1-2 million, best case you have a gigantic addition to the pen for a good price.

No matter what though, Jenks is closer unless he loses it. Gagne would have to be able to accept that.

We'll see if Boras can get $10 million for him. I doubt it. We should have made a run at Francisco Cordero when he came on the market, when the Lee trade was being worked out.

Guess KW went with MacDougal instead...this was essentially what happened to our Politte and Hermanson deals, they fizzled on us last year.

Keith Foulke could be a good addition, I would take him over Riske in a heartbeat, IF he's 100% healthy.

I want Mags back
11-20-2006, 04:28 PM
id say yes to an unguarenteed jncentive filled deal. someone in this league is dumb enough to give him 6-7 mill per

spiffie
11-20-2006, 04:28 PM
:roflmao: :rolling: :thumbsup: Yeah, that sounds like a great idea.