PDA

View Full Version : Konerko, Thomas understand....

doublem23
03-05-2002, 11:46 PM
the way this city's media runs.... (http://www.chicagosports.com/whitesox/content/story/0,1984,176946,00.html)

RedPinStripes
03-06-2002, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
the way this city's media runs.... (http://www.chicagosports.com/whitesox/content/story/0,1984,176946,00.html)

Well, they are right.

Kilroy
03-06-2002, 12:44 AM
To me, the only person that had it right in that article was JM.

Manager Jerry Manuel said before Tuesday's 20-6 victory over the Cubs that the players shouldn't be concerned about whether it's a Cubs town or not.

RedPinStripes
03-06-2002, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy
To me, the only person that had it right in that article was JM.

When the seats are empty and the players are wondering why they can't get a raise, they should be worried about the biased media.

Bmr31
03-06-2002, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

When the seats are empty and the players are wondering why they can't get a raise, they should be worried about the biased media.

excellent point. On a side note, i predict that this is Konerkos BREAK OUT season..... .303 35 hrs 118 rbi?

MattSharp
03-06-2002, 01:11 AM
One must rememer the Tribune does own the Cubs. They have to make the Cubs look good so they make money. I understand that. Its a stupid reason but thats a big part of it.

I agree though, that no matter what the Cubs are always contenders, even when they aren't.

foulkesfan11
03-06-2002, 09:14 AM
I disagree about the media not helping the Cubs to be "Chicago's" team. They're all you hear about in the news. They have that Wanker of a guy called Shammy over there, and the more they publicize him, the more people pay attention to the Flubs.

I do however agree with what Thomas said. The only way we would finally get more attention would be if we won the World Series!

Lisa
03-06-2002, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by foulkesfan11
I disagree about the media not helping the Cubs to be "Chicago's" team. They're all you hear about in the news. They have that Wanker of a guy called Shammy over there, and the more they publicize him, the more people pay attention to the Flubs.

I do however agree with what Thomas said. The only way we would finally get more attention would be if we won the World Series!

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be something JR understands. Remember last season when he ripped the fans for not coming to the ballpark? How 'bout not screwing around and paying ot put a winning team out on the field? If you build it...

Iwritecode
03-06-2002, 11:03 AM
Gee, what is this going to do to that putz that is measuring the Tribs articles? I wonder if he actually reads them...

RedPinStripes
03-06-2002, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by foulkesfan11

Doesn't help that the Sun-times and Radio favors the flubs either. Remember in 2000 when the Sox were winning games by 8 runs and running away with the central? Well, the Sun-times had a pic of sammy or a story about an almost cub win all freakin year. They didn'y cover the Sox well until they won the division.

voodoochile
03-06-2002, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Gee, what is this going to do to that putz that is measuring the Tribs articles? I wonder if he actually reads them...

It will add to his Sox story total...

My question about him is which team does he root for? It seemed obvious from the tone of his thesis that he was a flubbie fan, but I am merely speculating.

It is tough to write an objective paper on a topic that you are not truly neutral about, the mind tends to play tricks on you and see what you want to see as opposed to what is really going on.

Lip Man 1
03-06-2002, 11:50 PM
Folks:

As I said in a column on WSI , the Chicago media IS NOT biased against the Sox. They would LOVE for the Sox to do something in the post season besides lose all their home games.

A VERY SUCCESSFUL Sox team means the Tribune and Sun Times make more money because more papers are sold.

WGN and Fox Sports Chicago get more viewers and can charge more for ad rates.

Hell, even WSI would get more readers.

But consider this, if you think the media is "anti Sox" what do you think is going to happen when Uncle jerry turns the press box behind home plate into a restaurant and kicks the media somewhere down the 1st base line? (Ever try to broadcast or write about a game you can't see well?? I have!)

Uncle Jerry and his cronies treat the media just like they do their fans, like s@#$ (You reap what you sow...)

Mark Liptak