PDA

View Full Version : Rangers to sign Frank Catalanotto

joebro25
11-19-2006, 07:22 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6188778

3 year deal with a 4th year club option. No mention of how much this deal is worth.

Pierzynski 12
11-19-2006, 07:56 PM
Solid pickup.:smile:

Black Jack 29
11-19-2006, 08:34 PM
I was thinking he would have been a nice pickup for the Sox. Not a real threat to steal a base or anything, but the dude can hit like all get out. Good on-base guy as well.

Baby Fisk
11-19-2006, 08:35 PM
It's a typical Rangers signing: take a mediocre player and sign him for longer than he should be signed for. Good for another third place finish in a four team division.

SABRSox
11-19-2006, 08:35 PM
Cattalanotto sucks. He's already here, and his name is Rob Mackowiak.

Pierzynski 12
11-19-2006, 08:56 PM
Cattalanotto sucks. He's already here, and his name is Rob Mackowiak.

I can see you really seen Catalanotto play alot.:rolleyes:

goon
11-19-2006, 09:05 PM
Cattalanotto sucks.

what he said.

JUribe1989
11-19-2006, 09:21 PM
Catalanotto hit .300 last year in 128 games. Some of you people on this board defend a .225 hitter, but insult a .300 hitter. It makes no sense. Catalanotto is a very solid hitter and this is a good pick-up for the Rangers. I was hoping maybe we could get him.

Domeshot17
11-19-2006, 09:25 PM
Great pick up (depending on the price) for the Rangers. Gives them a little flexibility in the OF. We had no room for him, but hes a solid player. Yes, very Mackowiak like, but more sound of a hitter.

lakeviewsoxfan
11-19-2006, 09:30 PM
Was he already with the Rangers?

SABRSox
11-19-2006, 09:51 PM
I can see you really seen Catalanotto play alot.:rolleyes:

I've seen enough of him to know he doesn't hit for power, he doesn't field his position well, and he can't run very fast. His only attribute is OBP. This team needs a real OF, not another 4th OF. We've got 2 already in Podsednik and Mackowiak.

lakeviewsoxfan
11-19-2006, 09:54 PM
I've seen enough of him to know he doesn't hit for power, he doesn't field his position well, and he can't run very fast. His only attribute is OBP. This team needs a real OF, not another 4th OF. We've got 2 already in Podsednik and Mackowiak.

You really think Pods will be back next year?

joebro25
11-19-2006, 10:22 PM
Was he already with the Rangers?

Yep, before he was with Toronto.

FedEx227
11-19-2006, 10:57 PM
Catalanotto hit .300 last year in 128 games. Some of you people on this board defend a .225 hitter, but insult a .300 hitter. It makes no sense.

It does. Because theres much more to being a good baseball player then batting average.

TheOldRoman
11-19-2006, 11:23 PM
He's already here, and his name is Rob Mackowiak.
Rob Mackowiak is a much better baseball player than Frank Catalanotto.

DumpJerry
11-19-2006, 11:54 PM
No.

spiffie
11-20-2006, 12:47 AM
Catalanotto hit .300 last year in 128 games. Some of you people on this board defend a .225 hitter, but insult a .300 hitter. It makes no sense. Catalanotto is a very solid hitter and this is a good pick-up for the Rangers. I was hoping maybe we could get him.
You have forgotten the basic rule...everyone else sucks. If one of our players has better stats than someone else, that shows he is a better player. If another player has better stats than our guy, that shows stats are meaningless. The fact that Catalanatto gets on base a whole lot is meaningless since he is not, in fact, a grinder. I need a half-teal color.

Fun fact...Frank Catalanotto had more doubles last year than any player on the Sox.

goon
11-20-2006, 01:21 AM
Fun fact...Frank Catalanotto had more doubles last year than any player on the Sox.

right and if he had speed or could play defense he might be useful to the sox. unfortunately, we already have a 4th OF, his name is rob mackowiak.

i'll take rob as a pinch-hitter or off the bench over catalanotto anyday. besides, catalanotto isn't going to make or break a team like our sox, so what's point about worrying if someone else signs him? we need a lead-off hitter.

spiffie
11-20-2006, 01:34 AM
right and if he had speed or could play defense he might be useful to the sox. unfortunately, we already have a 4th OF, his name is rob mackowiak.

i'll take rob as a pinch-hitter or off the bench over catalanotto anyday. besides, catalanotto isn't going to make or break a team like our sox, so what's point about worrying if someone else signs him? we need a lead-off hitter.
I assume you would prefer Rob as a pinch-hitter due to his nearly 40 points lower career batting average? Oh, wait, I forgot, Rob is a grinder from Oak Lawn. That makes up for it all.

Ah yes, I forgot, we need speed! That's the problem. Well, then I can only think of one solution. The Sox need Nook Logan. He was so fast it was amazing when I saw him. Maybe add Joey Gathright. Has Bernard Berrian ever thought about being a 2-sport athlete?

I admit it, I just don't quite get how anyone could look at a lifetime 300/362/454 guy and not see that as an upgrade in LF. But then I admit, I'm silly in that I tend to not automatically assume that anyone in our jersey is the best possible choice. And I don't give nearly enough weight to one's grinderosity. I keep hoping some SABR guy will create the dirt stains on the uniform/9 innings or the grinderliciousness/game stat so that I can truly understand the awesomeness of Rob Mackowiak and Scott Podsednik and Juan Uribe.

goon
11-20-2006, 02:04 AM
I assume you would prefer Rob as a pinch-hitter due to his nearly 40 points lower career batting average? Oh, wait, I forgot, Rob is a grinder from Oak Lawn. That makes up for it all.

Ah yes, I forgot, we need speed! That's the problem. Well, then I can only think of one solution. The Sox need Nook Logan. He was so fast it was amazing when I saw him. Maybe add Joey Gathright. Has Bernard Berrian ever thought about being a 2-sport athlete?

I admit it, I just don't quite get how anyone could look at a lifetime 300/362/454 guy and not see that as an upgrade in LF. But then I admit, I'm silly in that I tend to not automatically assume that anyone in our jersey is the best possible choice. And I don't give nearly enough weight to one's grinderosity. I keep hoping some SABR guy will create the dirt stains on the uniform/9 innings or the grinderliciousness/game stat so that I can truly understand the awesomeness of Rob Mackowiak and Scott Podsednik and Juan Uribe.

you're just being ridiculous... "grinder baseball", nook logan? yeah, you read my mind.

the sox are pretty much a station to station type team, with exception to a few players with speed, pods, uribe, and brian. since it is beginning to look like pods is out of the picture, i think it is essential to fill that spot with someone who can not only hit, but steal bases and play adequate defense in LF. this offense seemed to function very well in 2005 when scott was getting on base and became a threat on the basepaths, frank can't do that.

not knowing what is going to become of the leadoff position, i could really care less if the sox didn't sign catalnatto, it wasn't in Kenny's plan and i'm sure there was a reason for it.

catalantto is just okay on defense and the fact that he doesn't bring any speed to the lineup, on this team, he is a 4th OF, IMO. does this team really need a 4th OF, or would it just be a somewhat minor upgrade? i'd rather the white sox put good money toward a lead-off hitter, the bullpen, and a catcher because they aren't going to be able to fill all these position with trades.

spiffie
11-20-2006, 02:15 AM
you're just being ridiculous... "grinder baseball", nook logan? yeah, you read my mind.

the sox are pretty much a station to station type team, with exception to a few players with speed, pods, uribe, and brian. since it is beginning to look like pods is out of the picture, i think it is essential to fill that spot with someone who can not only hit, but steal bases and play adequate defense in LF. this offense seemed to function very well in 2005 when scott was getting on base and became a threat on the basepaths, frank can't do that.

not knowing what is going to become of the leadoff position, i could really care less if the sox didn't sign catalnatto, it wasn't in Kenny's plan and i'm sure there was a reason for it.

catalantto is just okay on defense and the fact that he doesn't bring any speed to the lineup, on this team, he is a 4th OF, IMO. does this team really need a 4th OF, or would it just be a somewhat minor upgrade? i'd rather the white sox put good money toward a lead-off hitter, the bullpen, and a catcher because they aren't going to be able to fill all these position with trades.
Okay, I got a bit testy. I just find the fixation on having someone really fast around to be unnecessary. I'd rather have someone like Catalanotto, who gets on base at a 370 clip with the ability to hit 12-15 HR and 30-40 2B playing at USCF over someone like Podsednik who will steal 40 bases with no power at all and get on base less. I would say that Catalanotto's doubles count shows that even though he's not a SB guy he has the speed to go from 1st to 3rd or second to home, and that is for me much more relevant to our team's needs than simply having some sort of burner. I find it interesting you use Uribe as an example of a speed guy, but say Catalanotto isn't. That seems a bit off to me. The only thing Catalanotto doesn't do is steal bases, but the added power would be offsetting it IMO. He gets on base much more than Podsednik, and obviously has speed to get around the basepaths adequately.

As for our needs, as I said, to me this fills two needs. This is a LF guy who is about equal defensively to Podsednik but gets on base more with more power, thus I would have no qualms leading him off. He'd be an affordable upgrade at LF, freeing up cash for a more significant upgrade at SS.

I am not going to be broken up over this. If anything I just hate the fact that more and more it's looking like there are no plans to do much of anything except cross our fingers and assume everything will work out better next year. And in an offseason where I'm seeing Sox fans talk about how they'd rather have Juan Uribe than Alex Rodriguez regardless of salary or how the Sox would be getting fleeced trading Freddie Garcia for Ervin Santana and Scot Shields, I'm beginning to think either I've gone nuts, Sox fans have gone nuts, or we've all gone nuts.

getonbckthr
11-20-2006, 02:36 AM
So they did really lose Derosa with this signing? If anything they upgraded their Derosa for a Catalanotto.

goon
11-20-2006, 02:38 AM
Okay, I got a bit testy. I just find the fixation on having someone really fast around to be unnecessary. I'd rather have someone like Catalanotto, who gets on base at a 370 clip with the ability to hit 12-15 HR and 30-40 2B playing at USCF over someone like Podsednik who will steal 40 bases with no power at all and get on base less. I would say that Catalanotto's doubles count shows that even though he's not a SB guy he has the speed to go from 1st to 3rd or second to home, and that is for me much more relevant to our team's needs than simply having some sort of burner. I find it interesting you use Uribe as an example of a speed guy, but say Catalanotto isn't. That seems a bit off to me. The only thing Catalanotto doesn't do is steal bases, but the added power would be offsetting it IMO. He gets on base much more than Podsednik, and obviously has speed to get around the basepaths adequately.

As for our needs, as I said, to me this fills two needs. This is a LF guy who is about equal defensively to Podsednik but gets on base more with more power, thus I would have no qualms leading him off. He'd be an affordable upgrade at LF, freeing up cash for a more significant upgrade at SS.

I am not going to be broken up over this. If anything I just hate the fact that more and more it's looking like there are no plans to do much of anything except cross our fingers and assume everything will work out better next year. And in an offseason where I'm seeing Sox fans talk about how they'd rather have Juan Uribe than Alex Rodriguez regardless of salary or how the Sox would be getting fleeced trading Freddie Garcia for Ervin Santana and Scot Shields, I'm beginning to think either I've gone nuts, Sox fans have gone nuts, or we've all gone nuts.

yes, i think you have an opinion on the way the team should be built, as do i and most people on this board. some people take certain, i guess you could call them, elements into account when forming their opinions on structuring a team. where is the right balance between talent, capability, attitude, salary and how do certain players make a team better.

the reason i don't get hung up on this situation, as you said, is because i have a feeling the majority of starting lineup is coming back next year. iguchi, dye, konerko, thome, crede, pierzynski, anderson and uribe, which leaves a one spot open in left field.

if someone came up to me and asked, "if you had to fill only one position next year and it's LF, would you do that with catalanotto?" i would say no. i don't like youkilis's of this world batting leadoff, i did like what i saw with podsednik in 2005 with the ablity to get on base AND give the pitcher problems on the basepaths.

basically, i think the sox have the room to do WAY better than a frank. in fact, i'm thinking the sox might just go around the idea of picking up some decent upgrades for SS, LF and or CF and take all that money or a starting pitcher and put it toward one very good player, IE carl crawford. just an example, just an example.

goon
11-20-2006, 02:39 AM
So they did really lose Derosa with this signing? If anything they upgraded their Derosa for a Catalanotto.

derosa signed with the cubs, actually.

getonbckthr
11-20-2006, 02:53 AM
derosa signed with the cubs, actually.
Yes I realize that, what I was saying was by signing Catalanotto not only does he replace Derosa but I think he is a better overall player than Derosa.

goon
11-20-2006, 02:58 AM
Yes I realize that, what I was saying was by signing Catalanotto not only does he replace Derosa but I think he is a better overall player than Derosa.

i guess i misundestood, my mistake.

SABRSox
11-20-2006, 03:09 PM

I think he should come back as the 4th OF, and platoon with Dave Roberts. I think Mack should move into the Ozuna role, and Ozuna should not come back.

My confidence that this happens is 0%.

Tragg
11-21-2006, 12:00 AM
I think he should come back as the 4th OF, and platoon with Dave Roberts. I think Mack should move into the Ozuna role, and Ozuna should not come back.

I like that idea (alothough pods as a 4th of is a little strange); Mack > Ozuna and we don't need both of them.

Frank Cat would be a good bench player, but my guess is that he got starter money from the rangers. So be it.

TheOldRoman
11-21-2006, 01:16 AM

Having a fourth outfielder who can only play one position is a bad idea. Podsednik in CF makes Mackowiak look good. He certainly can't ever play in RF due to his arm. He can't play the infield like Ozuna (and I'm not saying Ozuna is good at it). Defense is the primary thing you look for in reserve outfielders. We need a 4th outfielder who can play all three positions, CF in particular.