PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox want Clemens AS A CLOSER????

Fenway
11-19-2006, 04:20 PM
:?:

And don't rule out Roger Clemens joining the Red Sox staff. If the Red Sox can convince Clemens to waive his family clause request (he goes home to Texas between starts) and come to Boston as a closer, it would solve Boston's biggest need.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/11/17/ramrez_still_talk_of_the_town/

CWSpalehoseCWS
11-19-2006, 04:30 PM
Well, I'm sure he could handle the job for most of the season, but I highly doubt it will happen.

russ99
11-19-2006, 04:45 PM
And don't rule out Roger Clemens joining the Red Sox staff. If the Red Sox can convince Clemens to waive his family clause request (he goes home to Texas between starts) and come to Boston as a closer, it would solve Boston's biggest need.

Good luck with that Red Sox, that family clause is an unbelievably cushy perk.

buehrle4cy05
11-19-2006, 04:49 PM
So they'd be paying their closer $20 million?:?:

samram
11-19-2006, 05:25 PM
Sure, maybe they can convince him to pay them for the privilege of playing in Boston too.:rolleyes:

hi im skot
11-19-2006, 05:25 PM
Did I miss something? What happened to Papelbon?

Oblong
11-19-2006, 05:31 PM
he's going to start.

oeo
11-19-2006, 05:39 PM
There's no way. Clemens is all about himself, he wants to start, and he's going to start. He's going to get his family clause too. I really wish he'd just retire already...

hi im skot
11-19-2006, 05:45 PM
he's going to start.

Ah, okay...I guess I did miss something, then.

Fenway
11-22-2006, 01:17 PM
so much for this rumor

While the Red Sox may have entertained the notion of asking Roger Clemens if he'd be interested in finishing his career as a closer, the Rocket's people say that you might as well ask Seiji Ozawa if he wants to end his career as bass guitarist for U2.

Here's Clemens's agent, Randy Hendricks, after reading the Clemens-as-closer speculation in the Globe: "Here is the chance that Roger will consider becoming the Red Sox closer: NO CHANCE.''

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/

caulfield12
11-22-2006, 01:19 PM
With Papelbon gone, who is the favorite? Timlin, Hansen or Del Carmen?

Or do they go out and make a move to someone like Mesa, Kline, Baez, etc.?

They let Foulke go, right?

Fenway
11-22-2006, 01:22 PM
With Papelbon gone, who is the favorite? Timlin, Hansen or Del Carmen?

Or do they go out and make a move to someone like Mesa, Kline, Baez, etc.?

They let Foulke go, right?

I think they want Hansen to step up and take the role but some think he needs a full year at Pawtucket first. I don't think Theo knows what he is going to do.

spiffie
11-22-2006, 01:33 PM
I think they want Hansen to step up and take the role but some think he needs a full year at Pawtucket first. I don't think Theo knows what he is going to do.
How in God's name do you create a team with a payroll nearing $150 million and NOT HAVE A CLOSER?! What, does it slip your mind, and you find it on a to-do list that says:

- Take out trash
- Pick up corkscrew
- Find someone for most important position in bullpen
- Mail dvd's back to Netflix

Fenway
11-22-2006, 01:41 PM
How in God's name do you create a team with a payroll nearing $150 million and NOT HAVE A CLOSER?! What, does it slip your mind, and you find it on a to-do list that says:

- Take out trash
- Pick up corkscrew
- Find someone for most important position in bullpen
- Mail dvd's back to Netflix

Bill James who is a senior advisor to Theo still favors "bullpen by committee" :?: