PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 11-20

Lip Man 1
11-19-2006, 01:00 PM
November 20, 1893 - The Western League is formed. It is the direct forerunner to what would become the American League in 1900. The league starts with seven franchises in Detroit, Sioux City, Toledo, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Grand Rapids and Minneapolis. The Minnesota franchise would eventually be moved to the South Side of Chicago by Charles Comiskey.

November 20, 1996 - The Sox shock the baseball world when Jerry Reinsdorf announces that he has signed slugger Albert Belle to the largest contract in baseball history. Sox fans are torn between being happy the Sox spent money on a star and being worried because of Belle’s sullen, moody reputation. Other baseball owners are furious with Reinsdorf, feeling that he deliberately signed Belle to the large contract to "pay them back" for agreeing to settle the 1994 labor dispute. Reinsdorf would be removed from the labor relations board, the body that advised the commissioner in all labor matters, over it. As part of the dealings, Reinsdorf asked Sox star slugger Frank Thomas who'd he like on the team if he could have one person in all of MLB. Thomas said Belle which surprised the owner. Reportedly he then said to Thomas, 'you know Barry Bonds is available?' Thomas again said he'd rather have Belle.

http://i14.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/78/72/0fab_1.JPG

Lip

The Racehorse
11-20-2006, 05:13 PM
November 20, 1893 - The Western League is formed. It is the direct forerunner to what would become the American League in 1900. The league starts with seven franchises in Detroit, Sioux City, Toledo, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Grand Rapids and Minneapolis. The Minnesota franchise would eventually be moved to the South Side of Chicago by Charles Comiskey.

November 20, 1996 - The Sox shock the baseball world when Jerry Reinsdorf announces that he has signed slugger Albert Belle to the largest contract in baseball history. Sox fans are torn between being happy the Sox spent money on a star and being worried because of Belle’s sullen, moody reputation. Other baseball owners are furious with Reinsdorf, feeling that he deliberately signed Belle to the large contract to "pay them back" for agreeing to settle the 1994 labor dispute. Reinsdorf would be removed from the labor relations board, the body that advised the commissioner in all labor matters, over it. As part of the dealings, Reinsdorf asked Sox star slugger Frank Thomas who'd he like on the team if he could have one person in all of MLB. Thomas said Belle which surprised the owner. Reportedly he then said to Thomas, 'you know Barry Bonds is available?' Thomas again said he'd rather have Belle.

http://i14.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/78/72/0fab_1.JPG

Lip

Too bad Frank didn't tell JR, Albert Pujols. I dunno why the owners were mad at JR for opening the bank for Belle... they should be mad at Peter Angelos for letting JR off the hook by taking Belle off the Sox hands.

Lip Man 1
11-20-2006, 05:42 PM
Race:

It is my understanding from reading and from conversations with some folks connected with MLB that the other owners were upset because JR didn't just pay big but he basically broke the bank for Belle. Overpaying him by a considerable amount (in their opinions). That raised the salary structure for everyone and coming on the heels of the labor impasse which saw a number of clubs lose fans, broadcast revenues, concessions and so forth, those owners were angry.

In hindsight some have said they were also angry because they believed JR at the time, when he said the owners could break the union and roll back salaries considerably. As it turned out the courts stepped in and nothing of the kind happened.

Lip

The Racehorse
11-20-2006, 06:05 PM
Race:

It is my understanding from reading and from conversations with some folks connected with MLB that the other owners were upset because JR didn't just pay big but he basically broke the bank for Belle. Overpaying him by a considerable amount (in their opinions). That raised the salary structure for everyone and coming on the heels of the labor impasse which saw a number of clubs lose fans, broadcast revenues, concessions and so forth, those owners were angry.

In hindsight some have said they were also angry because they believed JR at the time, when he said the owners could break the union and roll back salaries considerably. As it turned out the courts stepped in and nothing of the kind happened.

Lip

Lip, I always appreciate your Sox knowledge, history & insight. While I was only half kidding about the Belle/Angelos comment, I'm so happy that the mid-to-late 90s are now just bad memories for the Sox; on the field, in the front office, and league-wise [regarding JR in owner-leadership roles].