View Full Version : Speier to Sign with the Angels

Corlose 15
11-19-2006, 11:53 AM
According to ESPN.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2668298

SOXSINCE'70
11-19-2006, 11:58 AM
Whoop-ee.:rolleyes:

Anyway,the Sox need another Lefty in the pen.
With Ardesma and MacDougal,this pen will be
competitive,IMHO.

SABRSox
11-19-2006, 12:07 PM
Well, the best pen in baseball just got a whole lot better. Too bad they still have no offense...

SoxSpeed22
11-19-2006, 12:46 PM
Damn, I was kinda hoping that he goes to the NL or the Sox.

On that note, what happens to Scot Shields? Does he get traded for offense?

DaleJRFan
11-19-2006, 01:59 PM
:o: a four-year deal??? WOW. For a 33 year-old reliever who has gone to the DL at least twice in the last three years? I was hoping the Sox would sign Speier, but not on this type of deal.

TDog
11-19-2006, 02:22 PM
:o: a four-year deal??? WOW. For a 33 year-old reliever who has gone to the DL at least twice in the last three years? I was hoping the Sox would sign Speier, but not on this type of deal.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm not even sure it makes the Angels bullpen better because I'm not even sure he'll come through in the first year of his contract.

Pierzynski 12
11-19-2006, 05:36 PM
Solid signing. But, for 4 years?:?:

Sargeant79
11-20-2006, 12:31 AM
The free agent market for even relief pitchers is getting completely out of control. I have a feeling that any bullpen help the Sox acquire is going to come via trade.

spiffie
11-20-2006, 12:40 AM
More and more I am convinced we are going to run the exact same team out there as we did last year, the one that went 37-44 the second half of last season and sputtered to a third place finish. I hope the offseason approach of "avoid overspending at all costs and hope for everyone to do better next season" pays off or the Sox are going to find a lot of people with very short memories about the glories of 2005.

palehozenychicty
11-20-2006, 12:48 AM
More and more I am convinced we are going to run the exact same team out there as we did last year, the one that went 37-44 the second half of last season and sputtered to a third place finish. I hope the offseason approach of "avoid overspending at all costs and hope for everyone to do better next season" pays off or the Sox are going to find a lot of people with very short memories about the glories of 2005.

But to overspend on flawed players e.g. the flubs is silly as well. If the Sox had a bullpen that posted numbers anywhere near the '05 level, they win the division. Period. The starting pitching wasn't nearly as good, but the offense did more than enough to cover the expected drop off. They really don't need to do a whole lot, except find a LF or SS who can lead off on the position front. I like the restraint so far. The cubs are desperate only because they know that the team sucks, so they are reacting like a small child who got his toys taken away and is spending to keep attention on themselves. When they fold again in June, it will get beyond ugly in the Northside this summer.

DaleJRFan
11-20-2006, 11:03 AM
or the Sox are going to find a lot of people with very short memories about the glories of 2005.

or conversely... a 37 year old Justin Speier hogging a spot in the bullpen as he bounces between the DL and throwing batting practice.

Its MID NOVEMBER. KW ain't done yet. Give him time. Justin Speier isn't the only quality relief pitcher in the game.

Corlose 15
11-20-2006, 11:41 AM
or conversely... a 37 year old Justin Speier hogging a spot in the bullpen as he bounces between the DL and throwing batting practice.

Its MID NOVEMBER. KW ain't done yet. Give him time. Justin Speier isn't the only quality relief pitcher in the game.

Bingo. I'm not sure why everyone was so hot for Speier. He has had a good couple of years but I don't want him for that money and his career ERA is over 4. Not to mention, do the Sox really need another right hander?

I wouldn't be surprised to see the trading of a starter net some bullpen help but I think the Sox will hold off until Zito, Schmidt, etc are off the market so the demand is higher. Plenty of time.

Also, have we ever known KW to be someone who sits on his hands in the offseason?

White Sox Randy
11-20-2006, 11:43 AM
He wouldn't fit into our bullpen. He wants more than 1 mil. a year.

DaleJRFan
11-20-2006, 11:47 AM
He wouldn't fit into our bullpen. He wants more than 1 mil. a year.

Here we go again with the "KW is cheap with the bullpen..." posts again... :rolleyes:

really... do you want KW to go out and lock up 40 million over the next 4 years on a few bullpen arms? That sort of irresponsible spending is for the north side.

spiffie
11-20-2006, 12:13 PM
Here we go again with the "KW is cheap with the bullpen..." posts again... :rolleyes:

really... do you want KW to go out and lock up 40 million over the next 4 years on a few bullpen arms?
Nope. I want Boone Logan back, mainly because my tickets are in the outfield and I want more chances to catch home run balls, even if they are hit my the opposition. Hopefully he'll bring Montero with him!

The Immigrant
11-20-2006, 12:29 PM

really... do you want KW to go out and lock up 40 million over the next 4 years on a few bullpen arms? That sort of irresponsible spending is for the north side.

It doesn't have to be $40 million over 4 years, but if we're not willing to pay the market rate for quality relievers than we shouldn't be surprised if our bullpen isn't up to par next year.

34 Inch Stick
11-20-2006, 03:43 PM
Be patient. KW's time is coming. Once Zito and Schmidt are off the market KW will be in the catbird seat, as virtually the entire league looks for starting pitching and sees that Freddy is a bargain at 10 million in this market.