PDA

View Full Version : Alex Gonzalez agrees to deal with Reds

joebro25
11-18-2006, 08:03 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2667193

Peter Gammons is reporting a 3 year 14 million dollar deal to be the everyday SS for the Reds. Hopefully, this can end the Alex Gonzalez to the Sox rumors.

chisoxmike
11-18-2006, 08:12 PM
:rolling:

Another rumor dead, 134,342 to go.

Chips
11-18-2006, 08:32 PM
:rolling:

Another rumor dead, 134,342 to go.

How many are from whitesox4ever?

chisoxmike
11-18-2006, 08:32 PM
How many are from whitesox4ever?

I want Mags back
11-18-2006, 08:37 PM
good, didnt want him to begin with. Hes no upgrade on Uribe

munchman33
11-18-2006, 08:54 PM
good, didnt want him to begin with. Hes no upgrade on Uribe

He's a completely different player. Defensively a wash. But does the little things with the bat...bunts, gets guys over, etc. Has more speed than Uribe too. Uribe just has more pop.

They're both the two worst offensive everyday shortstops in baseball though. Having either is problematic if every other guy in your lineup isn't at least a good hitter.

ND_Sox_Fan
11-18-2006, 09:38 PM
This is probably the best news of the day for me - there was no reason to waste money on this guy (maybe other than that he does the little things).

munchman33
11-18-2006, 11:29 PM
This is probably the best news of the day for me - there was no reason to waste money on this guy (maybe other than that he does the little things).

Yeah, honestly, I'd prefer him to Uribe if not for his salary demands.

But then again, I'd prefer half the shortstops in the PCL to Uribe right about now. There are plenty of slick fielding shortstop prospects that haven't learned to hit yet. I'd much rather get one of them and give them a shot, as there's always a chance they'll learn to hit. Uribe is as good as he's ever gonna be. And it certainly isn't good enough.

buehrle4cy05
11-19-2006, 12:50 AM
Good. I would rather not pay $5 million for Gonzalez. Let the Reds have him.

TheOldRoman
11-19-2006, 01:20 AM
Yeah, honestly, I'd prefer him to Uribe if not for his salary demands.

But then again, I'd prefer half the shortstops in the PCL to Uribe right about now. There are plenty of slick fielding shortstop prospects that haven't learned to hit yet. I'd much rather get one of them and give them a shot, as there's always a chance they'll learn to hit. Uribe is as good as he's ever gonna be. And it certainly isn't good enough.
I couldn't disagree more. Uribe had the talent to be a very good hitter, and he has shown that he can be one in the past. Coaching is poor, and he is lazy. When he was working with Hrniak, he fixed his swing, added the leg kick, and was hitting much much better. He came into training camp fat again, and let all the progress he made go out the window. I am not saying he is a .300 hitter, but he could be a good hitter if he worked hard enough and had the right coaching.

munchman33
11-19-2006, 01:28 AM
I couldn't disagree more. Uribe had the talent to be a very good hitter, and he has shown that he can be one in the past. Coaching is poor, and he is lazy. When he was working with Hrniak, he fixed his swing, added the leg kick, and was hitting much much better. He came into training camp fat again, and let all the progress he made go out the window. I am not saying he is a .300 hitter, but he could be a good hitter if he worked hard enough and had the right coaching.

"Career Year"

Even when Uribe had his one good offensive season, it was glaringly obvious he didn't have an ounce of strike zone judgement. Once the league figured that out, he couldn't hit anymore. No amount of "adjusting" is going to fix that. A different hitting coach isn't suddenly going to make Uribe see better. He's learn to be more patient. He's about as patient as he's ever going to get. And he's still no better than a .280 OBP guy. Sorry, but you're in dream world.

TheOldRoman
11-19-2006, 01:53 AM
"Career Year"

Even when Uribe had his one good offensive season, it was glaringly obvious he didn't have an ounce of strike zone judgement. Once the league figured that out, he couldn't hit anymore. No amount of "adjusting" is going to fix that. A different hitting coach isn't suddenly going to make Uribe see better. He's learn to be more patient. He's about as patient as he's ever going to get. And he's still no better than a .280 OBP guy. Sorry, but you're in dream world.
No, I was speaking of Septmeber of 05 and the playoffs, not his career year of 04. His numbers drastically improved in September. He was being patient, he was taking walks, and because he wasn't chasing bad pitches, his average was up. That was when he was working with Walt Hrniak. Uribe didn't work with him over the offseason, and he lost all the momentum he built. I honestly think he has the capability to be a good hitter, it is only a matter of him busting his ass every day, and having the right pitching coach to reinforce what needs to be done.

DaleJRFan
11-19-2006, 02:02 AM
No, I was speaking of Septmeber of 05 and the playoffs, not his career year of 04. His numbers drastically improved in September. He was being patient, he was taking walks, and because he wasn't chasing bad pitches, his average was up. That was when he was working with Walt Hrniak. Uribe didn't work with him over the offseason, and he lost all the momentum he built. I honestly think he has the capability to be a good hitter, it is only a matter of him busting his ass every day, and having the right pitching coach to reinforce what needs to be done.

I seem to recall the Big Hurt working with Uribe on plate patience when he rejoined the team in both 04 and 05 after his injuries... with significant results (or so claimed Hawk and DJ). Uribe can he a patient hitter, he just doen't want to be...

:uribe:
"Profundo!!!"

jabrch
11-19-2006, 10:33 AM
I'd love to make a SIGNIFICANT upgrade from Uribe. Gonzalez, while possibly and upgrade and possibly not, is clearly not a SIGNIFICANT upgrade; not at that price.

Fenway
11-19-2006, 01:30 PM
I guess this means Julio Lugo is coming to the Red Sox :?:

Boston is paying the price for Dan Duquette giving up on David Eckstein.

SoxFanPrope
11-19-2006, 07:06 PM
Does this make Royce Clayton available?

soxinem1
11-20-2006, 04:35 PM
Does this make Royce Clayton available?

To bat lead off too, right?

DaveIsHere
11-20-2006, 04:41 PM
:thechoice

"You guys know you miss me!!"

caulfield12
11-20-2006, 05:31 PM
I always thought that F. Lopez and Kearns deal was one of the worst and most puzzling of the season. Now they have to go out and spend more money to fix that problem.

Well, at least the Reds didn't sign Christian Guzman. Is he out of baseball, or simply living on the contract the Nationals gave him and drinking mai-tais in the Caribbean?

Besides Lugo, the options at SS are decreasing by the day. And, I'm not a big fan of paying Julio Lugo the same as our starting pitchers are getting and more than Jermaine Dye.