PDA

View Full Version : White Sox HD should be a lot better next year

Fenway
11-18-2006, 04:28 PM
Was working in the new HD truck that TrioVideo has bought ( so new it isn't painted yet ) Today was the first game it has been used (Harvard-Yale) and the HD was perfect. They plan to use this truck next summer at USCF and it will be a major upgrade from 2006.

now I just hope my check from Tribune Broadcasting doesn't bounce

lakeviewsoxfan
11-18-2006, 04:38 PM
I luv HD

DaveIsHere
11-18-2006, 05:10 PM
Will this be for all of their HD broadcasts at home? Comcast, WGN, and WCIU?

WCIU pisses me off that there is not a cable channel to get the signal, you have to buy and antenna, I am not going to spend $80 for a hanful of HD Sox games a year.

lakeviewsoxfan
11-18-2006, 05:17 PM

WCIU pisses me off that there is not a cable channel to get the signal, you have to buy and antenna, I am not going to spend $80 for a hanful of HD Sox games a year.

The thing that pisses me off with WCIU broadcasts in HD is that they are presented by Comcast yet there is no outlet for WCIU in HD on Comcast.

twentywontowin
11-18-2006, 05:46 PM

You actually don't need an "HD Antenna" that costs $80-100 to get over-the-air signals. The old rabbit ears antenna will pull down a HD signal.

DaveIsHere
11-18-2006, 06:22 PM
You actually don't need an "HD Antenna" that costs $80-100 to get over-the-air signals. The old rabbit ears antenna will pull down a HD signal.

It is still pretty stupid looking to have a nice HD setup and then have rabbit ears to pull down the signal, dont ya think???

I believe the year is 2006, ya hear me WCIU!?!?!?!?

*But I may try that this year :D: *

twentywontowin
11-18-2006, 06:23 PM
It is still pretty stupid looking to have a nice HD setup and then have rabbit ears to pull down the signal, dont ya think???

I believe the year is 2006, ya hear me WCIU!?!?!?!?

*But I may try that this year :D: *

It does look stupid, but if you can hide them somewhere out of sight, and don't want to spend $80-100 because of a marketing gimmick in HD antennae, the rabbit ears are the way to go. :cool:

BeeBeeRichard
11-18-2006, 08:13 PM
It does look stupid, but if you can hide them somewhere out of sight, and don't want to spend $80-100 because of a marketing gimmick in HD antennae, the rabbit ears are the way to go. :cool:

Plus, the picture quality of the over-the-air HD signal is superior to the cable version because the signal isn't compressed to fit Comcast's bandwidth. So you end up using the rabbit ears for all the games on WGN, plus Bears games and of course the playoffs in October 2007 on Fox, too. And all your other network HD shows (well, except WBBM -- to get that you do need a $100+ antenna unless you're so close you can reach out your window and touch the tower. WBBM's HD signal blows.)

I want Mags back
11-18-2006, 08:36 PM
if only i had HD tv and could share are of your happiness:(:

BanditJimmy
11-18-2006, 09:35 PM
"the bunny ears" anttena ... you can hook one of those up directly to the TV, correct?

Then do you just operate your TV on channel 2,5,7,9, etc to catch the HD?

Realist
11-18-2006, 09:38 PM
HD makes my nana dance.:bandance:

Cuck the Fubs
11-18-2006, 09:52 PM
Plus, the picture quality of the over-the-air HD signal is superior to the cable version because the signal isn't compressed to fit Comcast's bandwidth. So you end up using the rabbit ears for all the games on WGN, plus Bears games and of course the playoffs in October 2007 on Fox, too. And all your other network HD shows (well, except WBBM -- to get that you do need a $100+ antenna unless you're so close you can reach out your window and touch the tower. WBBM's HD signal blows.)

You can solve the WBBM problem with an attenuator from radio shack, if you can believe it the signal is too strong and if you tone it down it makes a world of difference!

I pulled my hair out for months figuring this out!!!!

roylestillman
11-18-2006, 10:19 PM
"the bunny ears" anttena ... you can hook one of those up directly to the TV, correct?

Then do you just operate your TV on channel 2,5,7,9, etc to catch the HD?

Plus the wonders on the other channels like 5.2 and 7.2 (weather) and 9.2 The Tube that runs all music videos all day. Plus two extra Channel 11 stations which seem to run cooking and travel shows all day Channel 38 has 5 channels that of nothing. And if a car goes by I lose them all. Its reminds me of the early days of UHF.

itsnotrequired
11-20-2006, 08:09 AM
Plus, the picture quality of the over-the-air HD signal is superior to the cable version because the signal isn't compressed to fit Comcast's bandwidth.

Is this true? I recently got a HD TV set and am looking to get the HD "upgrade" from Comcast (an extra $5 a month). Do they really compress the signal?

DaveIsHere
11-20-2006, 09:29 AM
But do you need an interanl HD tuner on your TV for the Bunny ears to work?

SoxFan78
11-20-2006, 09:48 AM
Is this true? I recently got a HD TV set and am looking to get the HD "upgrade" from Comcast (an extra $5 a month). Do they really compress the signal?

If you have a HD tv and Comcast, you should already be getting the HD upgrade, otherwise why do you have a HD TV? I have the comcast HD package and I think it looks great. I havent seen the Direct TV HD so I cant compare, but if you do decide to get the HD package, im sure you won't be disappointed.

But do you need an interanl HD tuner on your TV for the Bunny ears to work?

Yes you do.

cbotnyse
11-20-2006, 09:55 AM
Is this true? I recently got a HD TV set and am looking to get the HD "upgrade" from Comcast (an extra $5 a month). Do they really compress the signal?your HD TV is worthless without the upgrade. I couldnt disagree more about the over the air antenna. I had one and it was worthless. Get the upgrade, its the best $5 bucks you'll ever spend. :thumbsup:

Jaffar
11-20-2006, 09:57 AM

I'm not sure about the technical stuff but the picture still looks great. Satelite Tv brags about 100% pure digital but you need a seperate antenna for local HD channels anyway with Satelite.

DaveIsHere
11-20-2006, 10:02 AM
I idont have an internal runer, hence why i have a Comcast Box.

You should shy away from a HDTV with a built in Tuner as the Tuner will be obsolete before the TV. Cable box or set top box is the best way to go.

Cuck the Fubs
11-20-2006, 10:49 AM
Both Direct TV & Comcast "compress" the signal.

The bandwidth is far more restrictive via Satillite than cable......to most people there is no noticable dropoff in quality.

I have had both DTV and Comcast HD and there was no major difference sides some of the HD content offered.

With Cable, you do need a set with a HD tuner built in, as the comcast box has no provisions for a rooftop ant. DTV does have a hookup on their box for broadcast signals, so if you take that route you would not need a HD tuner in the TV to get over the air content.

itsnotrequired
11-20-2006, 12:23 PM
Both Direct TV & Comcast "compress" the signal.

The bandwidth is far more restrictive via Satillite than cable......to most people there is no noticable dropoff in quality.

I have had both DTV and Comcast HD and there was no major difference sides some of the HD content offered.

With Cable, you do need a set with a HD tuner built in, as the comcast box has no provisions for a rooftop ant. DTV does have a hookup on their box for broadcast signals, so if you take that route you would not need a HD tuner in the TV to get over the air content.

Thanks for the input. I figured there wasn't much of a signal loss through compression but I haven't been able to judge it for myself.

As to why I don't have Comcast HD right now, I recently moved into a new house and purchased a HD TV as part of the move. The cable isn't hooked up yet so I've been doing the rabbit ear thing. The only HD channel I can get is CBS and even then it is hit or miss (I bought a cheapo $20 antenna just to get us through the couple months of waiting for the cable). The CBS HD picture looks great so getting the Comcast HD upgrade is a no brainer. The only thing that would hold me back is if the over-the-air HD signals vastly better, I would invest in a better antenna. Although with that setup, I wouldn't get any of the ESPN, HBO, etc. HD signals. So I guess I was going to be getting the Comcast HD box anyway.

I deem this post worthless.:redneck

FielderJones
11-21-2006, 12:30 AM
I am not going to spend $80 for a hanful of HD Sox games a year.

But you'll spend $80 a month for your cable channels. :nuts:

DaveIsHere
11-21-2006, 08:14 AM
But you'll spend $80 a month for your cable channels. :nuts:

Yes, and for about 150 Whitesox games, and many hundreds other sports in HD.

Jaffar
11-21-2006, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the input. I figured there wasn't much of a signal loss through compression but I haven't been able to judge it for myself.

As to why I don't have Comcast HD right now, I recently moved into a new house and purchased a HD TV as part of the move. The cable isn't hooked up yet so I've been doing the rabbit ear thing. The only HD channel I can get is CBS and even then it is hit or miss (I bought a cheapo $20 antenna just to get us through the couple months of waiting for the cable). The CBS HD picture looks great so getting the Comcast HD upgrade is a no brainer. The only thing that would hold me back is if the over-the-air HD signals vastly better, I would invest in a better antenna. Although with that setup, I wouldn't get any of the ESPN, HBO, etc. HD signals. So I guess I was going to be getting the Comcast HD box anyway.

I deem this post worthless.:redneck

What most people don't realize is with comcast you pay an extra $10/month and you get a Dual Tuner DVR box (tivo) that is also the HD tuner. You really can't beat that.

Randar68
11-21-2006, 12:03 PM
I idont have an internal runer, hence why i have a Comcast Box.

You should shy away from a HDTV with a built in Tuner as the Tuner will be obsolete before the TV. Cable box or set top box is the best way to go.

Huh?

The TV's with an internal Tuner generally don't add a significant premium to the TV cost and you can then get the OTA signals and full-bandwidth HD signal you can't get otherwise.

The one question I do have is in regards to the guy who said you need an attenuator. Is this a specific attenuator? I was under the impression that the signal for UHF channels (lower frequency) does not travel as far as the VHF signals (every other station but CBS in Chicago) and the signal was inherently weak. I bought an HD Antenna for about 65 bucks plus a powered 4-way splitter/amp and I can comfortably get every channel EXCEPT CBS. I would like to try a few things to see if I can tune in the CBS signal and was looking at implementing some kind of bandpass filter and amp for just the UHF signal to try to pull-in the UHF signal, but haven't had the time. I would love to try the attenuator trick but both my OTA HD tuners claim the signal is terribly weak, so it seems counterintuitive. I doubt the signal is "saturating" the receiver out in the NW suburbs...

Cuck the Fubs
11-21-2006, 03:39 PM
Huh?

The TV's with an internal Tuner generally don't add a significant premium to the TV cost and you can then get the OTA signals and full-bandwidth HD signal you can't get otherwise.

The one question I do have is in regards to the guy who said you need an attenuator. Is this a specific attenuator? I was under the impression that the signal for UHF channels (lower frequency) does not travel as far as the VHF signals (every other station but CBS in Chicago) and the signal was inherently weak. I bought an HD Antenna for about 65 bucks plus a powered 4-way splitter/amp and I can comfortably get every channel EXCEPT CBS. I would like to try a few things to see if I can tune in the CBS signal and was looking at implementing some kind of bandpass filter and amp for just the UHF signal to try to pull-in the UHF signal, but haven't had the time. I would love to try the attenuator trick but both my OTA HD tuners claim the signal is terribly weak, so it seems counterintuitive. I doubt the signal is "saturating" the receiver out in the NW suburbs...

I had the same exact problem you did........I live in Norridge. After talking it through with a CBS guy, he turned me onto the attenuator, because he said CBS was "over amping" their signal....why they do that I have no idea, but I am currently running an adjustable attenuator, and the over air HD stuff is great on all channels ( WTTW is incredible )...the standard Channel 2 sucks horribly though.

If you need the Radio Shack part number let me know I can move the TV outta the way and get it for ya...it's worth a shot!