PDA

View Full Version : Backup catcher?

Pierzynski 12
11-18-2006, 12:56 PM
Who's going to be our backup catcher behind A.J.? I don't want Alomar back.:redneck

samram
11-18-2006, 01:12 PM
Me either, but he may be it. If not him, I think they'll go with someone from the system, Stewart probably.

Cuck_The_Fubs
11-18-2006, 01:27 PM
Man Soo Lee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

veeter
11-18-2006, 01:42 PM
I like Stewart or Gustavo Molina. Please, please, no Sandy Alomar.

A. Cavatica
11-18-2006, 03:45 PM
I think Molina's already become a minor league FA.

veeter
11-18-2006, 03:52 PM
I think Molina's already become a minor league FA.I think the Sox re-signed him yesterday.

CashMan
11-18-2006, 04:10 PM
Pending us signing one, I think Stewart has a lock on the job.

Pierzynski 12
11-18-2006, 05:32 PM
Do you think KW would let a young guy catch behind A.J.?

oeo
11-18-2006, 05:34 PM
Do you think KW would let a young guy catch behind A.J.?

Why not? From what I saw of Stewart, he's definately a better defensive catcher than AJ is. That's not really saying much, but if he can adequately hit the ball (no Chris Widger numbers), it should be his job.

Brian26
11-18-2006, 05:50 PM
Why not? From what I saw of Stewart, he's definately a better defensive catcher than AJ is. That's not really saying much, but if he can adequately hit the ball (no Chris Widger numbers), it should be his job.

Stewart's bat is as weak as his arm is strong.

Pierzynski 12
11-18-2006, 08:32 PM
I hope KW is listening to us.:tongue:

I want Mags back
11-18-2006, 08:41 PM
I wouldnt mind sandy staying. after all hes a backup, hes only gotta lay once a week, and if AJ goes down, hw worry about it then

lakeviewsoxfan
11-18-2006, 08:42 PM
I wouldnt mind sandy staying. after all hes a backup, hes only gotta lay once a week, and if AJ goes down, hw worry about it then

You must be High:?:

Pierzynski 12
11-18-2006, 08:52 PM

Yea, lets have a 40 year old backup catcher.:rolleyes:

I want Mags back
11-18-2006, 08:55 PM
Yea, lets have a 40 year old backup catcher.:rolleyes:

Id rather have a Major leaguer than a minor leaguer be a back up. obviously u wouldnt

Pierzynski 12
11-18-2006, 08:56 PM
Id rather have a Major leaguer than a minor leaguer be a back up. obviously u wouldnt

Sandy Alomar is a grandpa and should retire already.

Daver
11-18-2006, 09:22 PM
Stewart's bat is as weak as his arm is strong.

So what.

If you are relying on your catcher for his bat, your team has other problems.

DaleJRFan
11-19-2006, 12:49 AM
So what.

EXACTLY.

The point of a backup catcher is to give your primary catcher the days off he needs without the gamecalling suffering. Any offense from the backup C is gravy. Alomar and Widger were failures as backup catchers bcause of defense and game calling and not because of their offense. Obviously, you don't want an automatic out behind the plate, and Stewart can't be expected to bat .000 in an entire season.

Chris Stewart is twice the defensive catcher that is AJ. I love the way he handled McCarthy's start, the way he frames pitches, encourages... IlLove the way he shakes his glove at the pitcher.. "throw it right here... right here..." as opposed to AJ futzing around with his glove laces and puting his glove up when the pitcher is halfway through his windup.

Not to mention his quick feet and a great arm. Anyone who can throw out Sizemore, twice... in one game, with a knuckler pitching is a-ok with me.

As far as I am concerned, there is no backup catcher debate. The job is Stewart's going into ST until someone takes the job away from him.

But what do I know. :dunno:

Brian26
11-19-2006, 01:55 AM
So what.

This is true. I know you're a big proponent of having a solid defensive catcher, and any offense you get on top of that is just gravy.

Beautox
11-19-2006, 04:45 AM
I would love to see Zaun as our back up, but he still might want a starting gig, he killed LHP to the tune of .373 in '06 which would be huge in the Central.

Domeshot17
11-19-2006, 05:26 AM
give it to chris stewart. Figure theres only 20 points of batting average at most between him and sandy (somewhere between 225 ane 250) and the defense stewart gives you is as good as it gets. PLUS, he can also catch a knuckleballer. And with Heager seamingly a lock to be on the 25 next year, the ability to have SOMEONE who can catch him would be a major plus. Sandy Alomar was done 3 or 4 years ago, he is a waste of a roster spot.

Cuck_The_Fubs
11-19-2006, 08:12 AM

I agree. Even tho sandy is as old as dirt, he only has to play once a week. We could squeeze 30 games out of en this year for sure.

Cuck_The_Fubs
11-19-2006, 08:15 AM
EXACTLY.

The point of a backup catcher is to give your primary catcher the days off he needs without the gamecalling suffering. Any offense from the backup C is gravy. Alomar and Widger were failures as backup catchers bcause of defense and game calling and not because of their offense. Obviously, you don't want an automatic out behind the plate, and Stewart can't be expected to bat .000 in an entire season.

Chris Stewart is twice the defensive catcher that is AJ. I love the way he handled McCarthy's start, the way he frames pitches, encourages... IlLove the way he shakes his glove at the pitcher.. "throw it right here... right here..." as opposed to AJ futzing around with his glove laces and puting his glove up when the pitcher is halfway through his windup.

Not to mention his quick feet and a great arm. Anyone who can throw out Sizemore, twice... in one game, with a knuckler pitching is a-ok with me.

As far as I am concerned, there is no backup catcher debate. The job is Stewart's going into ST until someone takes the job away from him.

But what do I know. :dunno:

As far as i see it Stewart and Alomar are the same to me as far as 2007

SABRSox
11-19-2006, 10:54 AM
I'm all for Stewart getting the job. He's got a cannon that the Sox have sorely missed behind the plate. However, I don't want to hear crying about his weak offense, and see the same thing we saw with Chris Widger around here. You'd think he was the sole reason the Sox were underperforming with some of the posts around here.

Pierzynski 12
11-19-2006, 01:05 PM
I agree. Even tho sandy is as old as dirt, he only has to play once a week. We could squeeze 30 games out of en this year for sure.
Glad we want Alomar back here.:rolleyes:

SOXSINCE'70
11-19-2006, 04:34 PM
Who's going to be our backup catcher behind A.J.?

It's too bad Yogi Berra isn't still playing.:roflmao: :roflmao: