PDA

View Full Version : Here We Go Again

Lip Man 1
11-17-2006, 01:19 PM
From today's Chris DeLuca story in the Sun-Times:

"Still, Williams is looking for some offensive punch in his outfield. Sources say the Sox have inquired about the possibility of getting Aaron Rowand back from the Philadelphia Phillies. Rowand, who was dealt to Philly last offseason for slugger Jim Thome, might be available if the Phils land free agent Alfonso Soriano."

"But Williams always likes to aim high, and sources say the Sox have strong interest in Atlanta Braves center fielder Andruw Jones, who might be willing to waive his no-trade protection to play for Ozzie Guillen. Jones will be a free agent next season, but his agent is Sox nemesis Scott Boras, so that could be a deal-breaker."

Lip

I want Mags back
11-17-2006, 01:22 PM
stupid borass

Ol' No. 2
11-17-2006, 01:28 PM

"Still, Williams is looking for some offensive punch in his outfield. Sources say the Sox have inquired about the possibility of getting Aaron Rowand back from the Philadelphia Phillies. Rowand, who was dealt to Philly last offseason for slugger Jim Thome, might be available if the Phils land free agent Alfonso Soriano."

"But Williams always likes to aim high, and sources say the Sox have strong interest in Atlanta Braves center fielder Andruw Jones, who might be willing to waive his no-trade protection to play for Ozzie Guillen. Jones will be a free agent next season, but his agent is Sox nemesis Scott Boras, so that could be a deal-breaker."

LipI don't see why Boras is a deal breaker. You just let Jones walk after next year. The Sox have lots of young outfielders who may just need another year to be ready. As long as they're not overpaying, go get Jones.

BanditJimmy
11-17-2006, 01:37 PM
I think it will cost as much to get Jones away from ATL is it will be to get Crawford or Young.

We despirately need top of the batting order help more than we do middle of the order. So let's make Crawford or Young our priority.

The same goes for Wells, another middle of the order hitter.

palehozenychicty
11-17-2006, 01:37 PM
I don't see why Boras is a deal breaker. You just let Jones walk after next year. The Sox have lots of young outfielders who may just need another year to be ready. As long as they're not overpaying, go get Jones.

Exactly. And beside, Jones is a grown man. If they DID happent to trade for him and he wants to stay, he'll make sure that a deal gets done, borass or not.

Sargeant79
11-17-2006, 01:39 PM
Jones will cost a ton in terms of the talent the Braves would want. We're talking Anderson, Fields, one of the starters, and quite possibly more than that. If you can sign Jones to an extension, I can deal with that. If he's a one year rental, giving up that type of talent isn't the smartest move.

spiffie
11-17-2006, 02:10 PM

Lip
Wow, that combines two of the undying rumor ideas in one thread. If it could have worked Miguel Tejada into the mix it would have hit the Trifecta.

maurice
11-17-2006, 02:13 PM
Williams is looking for some offensive punch in his outfield. Sources say the Sox have inquired about the possibility of getting Aaron Rowand back from the Philadelphia Phillies. . . . But Williams always likes to aim high, and sources say the Sox have strong interest in Atlanta Braves center fielder Andruw Jones....

KW has been after Jones for awhile but, if his intention is to add "some offensive punch in his outfield," why in the world would he go after Rowand?

White Sox Randy
11-17-2006, 02:17 PM
The only way that we get Jones is as a 1 year rental. We are not signing any clients of BORASS to a long term contract i.e. Crede gone within 2 years.

The Braves are not going to accept what KW would be willing to give them for 1 year of Jones therefore we are not getting Jones. Another team that feels that they could extend Jones would be willing to offer more.

You can pretty much bet that the Sox will not be acquiring any BORASS clients such as AROD, Jones, Zito etc.

sullythered
11-17-2006, 03:13 PM
I'm not huge on either deal, but we really need to get past this Scott Borass thing. It is really a hindrance to have no common ground with, perhaps, the most prominent agent in the sport.

I'm sick and tired of every trade/FA rumor about the Sox ending with, "but he is represented by Scott Borass, so it might be a deal-breaker."

Domeshot17
11-17-2006, 10:22 PM
Rowands 278 and 12 homers would have seemed like 340 40 compared to Anderson's dismal season.

Not saying I want Rowand back, But can it get any worse then Anderson last year?

and I also think people need to move past Carl Crawford, with all the up and coming talent of the D rays, they arent going to trade their best player so they can hang onto Rocco Baldelli and Jonny Gomes

Hitmen77
11-17-2006, 10:53 PM
I'm not huge on either deal, but we really need to get past this Scott Borass thing. It is really a hindrance to have no common ground with, perhaps, the most prominent agent in the sport.

I'm sick and tired of every trade/FA rumor about the Sox ending with, "but he is represented by Scott Borass, so it might be a deal-breaker."

I don't think the Sox position regarding Borass has been a hinderance at all. I think KW is just being smart by not tying up a huge chunk of our payroll into one overrated Boras star.

Chips
11-17-2006, 11:05 PM
But can it get any worse then Anderson last year?

RMack.

FedEx227
11-17-2006, 11:39 PM
RMack.

Royce Claton

champagne030
11-17-2006, 11:41 PM
Royce Claton

No, Mack(well Ozzie) killed us far more than Royce ever did.

FedEx227
11-17-2006, 11:43 PM
True, but god damn did Royce Clayton suck...

CLR01
11-18-2006, 12:27 AM
True, but god damn did Royce Clayton suck...

"And some of you think you have it bad now. I never hit .098 and my defense is solid."

:anderson:

gosox41
11-18-2006, 02:41 PM
I don't see why Boras is a deal breaker. You just let Jones walk after next year. The Sox have lots of young outfielders who may just need another year to be ready. As long as they're not overpaying, go get Jones.

What do you think fair value would be Jones knowing he's gone after one year?

Bob

Ol' No. 2
11-18-2006, 03:18 PM
What do you think fair value would be Jones knowing he's gone after one year?

BobGood question. Probably Anderson and Broadway or something along those lines.

Tragg
11-19-2006, 09:10 AM
Good question. Probably Anderson and Broadway or something along those lines.

Put our eggs in one basket to win it in one year? I'll pass.

After all, we were better ON PAPER in 2006 and didn't even make the playoffs.