PDA

View Full Version : World Series to start 3 days later in 2007

Fenway
11-17-2006, 01:16 PM
Fox will have the ALCS next year, while TBS will have the NLCS. The start of the World Series also will be pushed back three days next year, from Saturday to Tuesday.

One of these years a World Series city will be hit by a late October blizzard...and yet they push the Series back later? :o:

southside rocks
11-17-2006, 01:21 PM
It's an attempt to improve TV viewership.

WS games on Tuesday and Wednesday, travel day Thursday, games Friday, Saturday, Sunday, travel day Monday, games Tuesday and Wednesday.

That way they only compete against football games on TV for one weekend and not two.

Ol' No. 2
11-17-2006, 01:22 PM
One of these years a World Series city will be hit by a late October blizzard...and yet they puch the Series back later? :o:I think this is so they can have more weekend games. This gives them Fri-Sat-Sun for games 3-4-5. The earlier system only gave them four weekend games if the series went the full seven, which hasn't been very often lately.

Fenway
11-17-2006, 01:29 PM
I think this is so they can have more weekend games. This gives them Fri-Sat-Sun for games 3-4-5. The earlier system only gave them four weekend games if the series went the full seven, which hasn't been very often lately.

I got no problem with the new days format, but they should try and move the Series up a week. Last week of October just doesn't work in the Northeast and Midwest.

Ol' No. 2
11-17-2006, 01:38 PM
I got no problem with the new days format, but they should try and move the Series up a week. Last week of October just doesn't work in the Northeast and Midwest.Any bets on how long before the LDS is stretched to 7 games?

Foulke You
11-17-2006, 02:07 PM
Any bets on how long before the LDS is stretched to 7 games?
Selig was quoted in an interview as saying they have no desire to extend the LDS series to 7 games but they may look at a way to make things more difficult for the Wild Card winner in the playoffs.

DumpJerry
11-17-2006, 02:31 PM
This is the opposite of what I would do if I was Commissioner.

The World Series must end no later than October 15th. After that date, the NFL ownes the airwaves and attention spans of sports fans.

How do you get the World Series to end on 10/15? Go back to the 154 game schedule.

It would not be as big a loss of $$$ as one would think since that is 8 fewer games with overhead expenses.

Ok, if this was a MLB owners' board, I would have just earned myself a lifetime ban.

Frater Perdurabo
11-17-2006, 02:44 PM
It would not be as big a loss of $$$ as one would think since that is 8 fewer games with overhead expenses.
[/COLOR]

Great point. And really, it's just a loss of four measly home games for each team.

thomas35forever
11-17-2006, 03:46 PM
This is all gonna build up to the point where November baseball won't be uncommon.

spiffie
11-17-2006, 03:51 PM
This is the opposite of what I would do if I was Commissioner.

The World Series must end no later than October 15th. After that date, the NFL ownes the airwaves and attention spans of sports fans.

How do you get the World Series to end on 10/15? Go back to the 154 game schedule.

Ok, if this was a MLB owners' board, I would have just earned myself a lifetime ban.
Instead of doing that, keep the 162 game schedule, and bring back the scheduled doubleheader. 8 Saturdays per season, 4 home DH's and 4 away DH's. Hell, if the owners have to have all 162 games then make them day/night affairs and clear the stadium in between.

ewokpelts
11-17-2006, 04:42 PM
One of these years a World Series city will be hit by a late October blizzard...and yet they push the Series back later? :o:i'm in a quandry....if the new date is set in stone, then i'm screwed(my wedding WAS scheduled to be the day before the ws...just in case)
but i heard that the ws will start thre first tuesday after the last lcs game..which, if they go 6 or more games, will be 3 days later than the origianl saturday(oct 20, 2007)...but i've gotten no official word from any source

DumpJerry
11-17-2006, 05:51 PM
Instead of doing that, keep the 162 game schedule, and bring back the scheduled doubleheader. 8 Saturdays per season, 4 home DH's and 4 away DH's. Hell, if the owners have to have all 162 games then make them day/night affairs and clear the stadium in between.

Owners hate doubleheaders because of lost ticket revenue (one ticket for two games). Players hate them because, well, they are not marathon runners.

Only the fans like doubleheaders, but were are not important as long as we open up the wallets.

i'm in a quandry....if the new date is set in stone, then i'm screwed(my wedding WAS scheduled to be the day before the ws...just in case)
but i heard that the ws will start thre first tuesday after the last lcs game..which, if they go 6 or more games, will be 3 days later than the origianl saturday(oct 20, 2007)...but i've gotten no official word from any source
:?: Spell check is your friend. Why are you looking at October for your wedding if White Sox baseball is that important to you?

DumpJerry
11-17-2006, 05:57 PM
This is all gonna build up to the point where November baseball won't be uncommon.
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:d6OUqzLadqGkcM:http://themitchells.smugmug.com/photos/32287029-D.jpg (http://themitchells.smugmug.com/photos/32287029-D.jpg)
Ladies and gentlemen, throwing out the first pitch for tonight's Game One of the World Series is Mike Jones from DHL Express......

Erik The Red
11-17-2006, 06:02 PM
Welcome to about 3-4 weeks ago when this was in the Sun-Times.

StillMissOzzie
11-17-2006, 06:09 PM
I think this is so they can have more weekend games. This gives them Fri-Sat-Sun for games 3-4-5. The earlier system only gave them four weekend games if the series went the full seven, which hasn't been very often lately.
And, it puts games 4 & 5, which may be the clinchers, on the weekend.

SMO
:gulp:

MUsoxfan
11-17-2006, 06:25 PM
Owners hate doubleheaders because of lost ticket revenue (one ticket for two games)

Have two different tickets like they do for unscheduled double-headers. 11am-noon game followed by a 6pm-7pm game

PKalltheway
11-17-2006, 06:39 PM
I don't know if that will work everywhere (the day/night doubleheader). Some teams can't draw flies, let alone trying to draw for two games in one day. You would probably see crowds of under 1,000 in a place like Florida or Kansas City for one of the two games. Also, like Fenway said, owners don't like the back to back doubleheaders (I think they're called twi-nighters). I think just getting the schedule back to 154 games would be right.

I want Mags back
11-17-2006, 09:03 PM
yep. once they league realizes they could cash in on having and 8 team per league playoff

ewokpelts
11-18-2006, 01:21 AM
:?: Spell check is your friend. Why are you looking at October for your wedding if White Sox baseball is that important to you?she wanted the date to conicide with her granparent's anniversary, but that was in teh middle of any potential alcs game, so i compromised and gave her teh day BEFORE the word series...cuz i told her " if i have a ticket, i'm not going to my wedding"(i have a st plan with playoff options)

ewokpelts
11-18-2006, 01:25 AM
And, it puts games 4 & 5, which may be the clinchers, on the weekend.

SMO
:gulp:selig has also hinted at a possible daytime ws game, but said it'd only happen on the weekend....dont be suprised to see game 5(which would be on a sunday) follow a marquee nfl game on fox

BanditJimmy
11-18-2006, 01:51 AM
When my team makes it deep into October..... trust me, the last thing I will bitch about is the weather. I was at Game 2 of our World Series, and I don't remember it raining that night.

ewokpelts
11-18-2006, 07:13 AM
When my team makes it deep into October..... trust me, the last thing I will bitch about is the weather. I was at Game 2 of our World Series, and I don't remember it raining that night.
i remember freezing my balls off until a certain very slow running first baseman hit a grand slam..then i was ready to take my jacket off

The Racehorse
11-18-2006, 08:01 AM
One of these years a World Series city will be hit by a late October blizzard...and yet they push the Series back later? :o:

:tool
"hmmmm... a World Series game 7 on Veterans Day?... hmmmm"