PDA

View Full Version : Yankees played hardball with CBS Radio and won

Fenway
11-17-2006, 11:21 AM
This shows how silly things have gotten in Yankees/Red Sox soap operas.

The Yankees told CBS Radio they would only resign with WCBS-AM if CBS Radio would drop carrying Red Sox games on 50,000 watt WTIC in Hartford and place the Yankees on that station. CBS suits in NY went along with the Yankees demands and now Red Sox fans in Connecticut are enraged. WTIC has carried the Red Sox since 1960 and is the only Connecticut signal that covers the entire state. It should be pointed out that WCBS can be heard in the entire state of Connecticut as well.

palehozenychicty
11-17-2006, 11:27 AM

The Yankees told CBS Radio they would only resign with WCBS-AM if CBS Radio would drop carrying Red Sox games on 50,000 watt WTIC in Hartford and place the Yankees on that station. CBS suits in NY went along with the Yankees demands and now Red Sox fans in Connecticut are enraged. WTIC has carried the Red Sox since 1960 and is the only Connecticut signal that covers the entire state. It should be pointed out that WCBS can be heard in the entire state of Connecticut as well.

:rolleyes: . I want to be surprised, but I'm not, since I live in the city. Vintage Yankees.

Fenway
11-17-2006, 11:47 AM
:rolleyes: . I want to be surprised, but I'm not, since I live in the city. Vintage Yankees.

Entercom who owns the Red Sox rights has in turn decided to stop carrying the Yankees on WGR-Buffalo and will replace them with the Red Sox :tongue:

Access to Yankees games in Connecticut has never been a problem as all the major NYC stations cover the state. Now the Red Sox will have to come up with a patchwork network to replace WTIC's clear channel signal.

CBS Radio wanted to keep the Yankees on WCBS but the Yankees had WABC to move to.

eriqjaffe
11-17-2006, 12:05 PM

The Yankees told CBS Radio they would only resign with WCBS-AM if CBS Radio would drop carrying Red Sox games on 50,000 watt WTIC in Hartford and place the Yankees on that station. CBS suits in NY went along with the Yankees demands and now Red Sox fans in Connecticut are enraged. WTIC has carried the Red Sox since 1960 and is the only Connecticut signal that covers the entire state. It should be pointed out that WCBS can be heard in the entire state of Connecticut as well.NOOOOO!!!!!! Where in the heck are people who don't live within the city limits of Boston going to find out what's going on with the Red Sox?!?!?!

champagne030
11-17-2006, 12:09 PM

:whocares

soltrain21
11-17-2006, 12:13 PM

Some of us do. I think these petty games of oneupmanships are interesting.

I am tired of this tag. It isn't like Fenway is posting this on the Sox board....this is called talking baseball for a reason.

Luke
11-17-2006, 12:15 PM
Doens't MLB has some say in a matter like this? They certainly have an interest in making sure that Red Sox games are adequetly covered in Conn.

Fenway
11-17-2006, 12:53 PM
Doens't MLB has some say in a matter like this? They certainly have an interest in making sure that Red Sox games are adequetly covered in Conn.

MLB will not get involved. Connecticut is a battleground between the 2 teams as the state is pretty much 50-50 between the 2 teams.

Luke
11-17-2006, 03:20 PM
Yeah, I guess MLB would be happy about the coming increase in Game day Audio sales.

thomas35forever
11-17-2006, 03:43 PM
Does the Yankees-Red Sox rivalry really have to extend to the business office? Don't make this rivalry more ridiculous than it already is.

Fenway
11-17-2006, 03:48 PM
Does the Yankees-Red Sox rivalry really have to extend to the business office? Don't make this rivalry more ridiculous than it already is.

Ever since Larry Lucchino came up with "Evil Empire" the gloves have been off between the owners.

SOXSINCE'70
11-17-2006, 11:02 PM
:whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

"WAAAA!!! The Yankmees have to be the most important
story all the time,WAAAA!!!"

(No teal needed)

1951Campbell
11-17-2006, 11:47 PM

How deep into CT does WEEI go? I thought they were 50,000 watts too, I've gotten them pretty easily in Fairfield Co. even.

Fenway
11-18-2006, 09:06 AM
How deep into CT does WEEI go? I thought they were 50,000 watts too, I've gotten them pretty easily in Fairfield Co. even.

Daytime is no problem but at night they have to rollback the signal to the west to protect KOA in Denver. The station the Red Sox are moving to in Boston WRKO ( same ownership as WEEI ) has the same problem protecting KNBR in San Francisco.

whitesoxwilkes
11-18-2006, 11:11 AM
Some of us do. I think these petty games of oneupmanships are interesting.

I am tired of this tag. It isn't like Fenway is posting this on the Sox board....this is called talking baseball for a reason.

Exactly. I enjoy Fenway's posts a lot more than a lot of the Cubsessed dreck **** that gets posted here every day.

1951Campbell
11-18-2006, 11:55 AM
Daytime is no problem but at night they have to rollback the signal to the west to protect KOA in Denver. The station the Red Sox are moving to in Boston WRKO ( same ownership as WEEI ) has the same problem protecting KNBR in San Francisco.

Ah.

I always forget about that "signal protection" stuff.

1951Campbell
11-18-2006, 11:55 AM

Talking Baseball (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
Serious baseball discussions about the 28 MLB teams past, present and future that don't play in Chicago.

Fenway
11-18-2006, 12:07 PM
Ah.

I always forget about that "signal protection" stuff.

When the FCC devised the signal protection rules in the late 1930's the Boston AM stations were designed to go north, south and east and built their transmitters in the farmland west of Boston. But after WWII the area west of Boston exploded with new suburbs and they have never been served well by the Boston AM stations at night(with the exception of WBZ)

Chicago and New York were for the most part excempt from signal protection and were awarded many clear channels and in most cases were put on adjoining frequences. (660 WFAN 670 WSCR - 710 WOR 720 WGN - 770 WABC 780 WBBM etc ) The old WCFL was not granted clear channel status having to protect a station in Seattle and this may have hurt the White Sox getting a fanbase west of Chicago. Most other US cities were given one clear channel station.

The rules should have been changed decades ago but with agreements with Canada and Mexico the FCC has never bothered.

chaerulez
11-18-2006, 03:53 PM
Exactly. I enjoy Fenway's posts a lot more than a lot of the Cubsessed dreck **** that gets posted here every day.

I'll take Red Sox/Yankees feud news over the Cubs too.

Fenway
02-09-2007, 03:54 PM
took almost 3 months but Boston won the battle of Connecticut with CBS Radio and the Yankees

keeps Boston on a clear channel station which the Yankees tried to block

WTIC Newstalk 1080 extends 50-year relationship with Boston Red Sox (http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20070202&content_id=1792398&vkey=pr_bos&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos)

SouthSide_HitMen
02-09-2007, 04:42 PM
took almost 3 months but Boston won the battle of Connecticut with CBS Radio and the Yankees

keeps Boston on a clear channel station which the Yankees tried to block

WTIC Newstalk 1080 extends 50-year relationship with Boston Red Sox (http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20070202&content_id=1792398&vkey=pr_bos&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos)

Excellent news. This is an exception to the recent trend of teams moving their broadcasts from 50,000 watt stations to low powered local stations (Balitmore, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Detroit & Minnesota). The fact that Boston has two 50,000 watt stations (WEEI and this Connecticut affiliate) will insure New England fans a broadcast option throughout the entire season and continue their hold of an extended market.

Teams with 50,000 Watt Day / Night broadcasts:

White Sox, Boston, NY Mets, NY Yankees, Philadelphia, Cubs, Cincinnati, Houston, Colorado, San Francisco, Toronto, Cleveland, Seattle & Texas.

vegyrex
02-09-2007, 05:05 PM

When I lived in Boston in the late 80's and early 90's the Red Sox were on 'RKO. When did they leave?

Fenway
02-09-2007, 05:17 PM
When I lived in Boston in the late 80's and early 90's the Red Sox were on 'RKO. When did they leave?

when WEEI moved to 850 Entercom switched them from RKO