PDA

View Full Version : Alex Gonzalez

chitown13
11-16-2006, 08:56 PM
Free agent Alex Gonzalez reportedly has a three-year, $15 million offer on the table, likely from either the White Sox or the Reds.
The Blue Jays have also been talking to Gonzalez, but they didn't make the offer. If Gonzalez can get this kind of deal, Julio Lugo at four years and $32 million would look very attractive. Of course, if it's the White Sox that sign Gonzalez, the same teams that are considering Gonzalez right now would likely covet Juan Uribe. Uribe is about as good defensively and has more offensive potential. Should the Reds get Gonzalez, Brandon Phillips would stay at second base. It'd make the decision to re-sign Juan Castro look awfully redundant.
Source: Boston.com (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2006/11/gonzalez_in_dem.html)

With the man love that Ozzie shows for this guy, I really wouldn't be surprised if it was the SOX. Ozzie has made it quite known that he loves this guy. I guess if it is us, you can kiss Uribe goodbye and all of those Young rumors.

JermaineDye05
11-16-2006, 08:59 PM
I'm not sure what this would do for the sox it's like signing a better defensive Uribe, Gonzalez still has offensive troubles

Sox Fan 35
11-16-2006, 09:10 PM
I would rather stick with Uribe.

Jjav829
11-16-2006, 09:11 PM
It's gotta be the Reds or another team. Why would we sign Gonzalez? He's not a better offensive player than Uribe. The two are close defensively. Maybe you give Gonzalez a slight edge in consistency there, but it's not much of a difference. Oh, and he's two years older than Uribe.

I just can't see it happening. KW said it would take a heck of a player for him to replace Uribe. Gonzalez isn't that heck of a player.

DaleJRFan
11-16-2006, 09:13 PM
Rumor is KW is asking Gonzalez to keep the contract signing quiet until the Sox complete a trade for Cotts' replacement.

Do the Pirates need a shortstop?? Mike Gonzalez??? Pleeeeez???

oeo
11-16-2006, 09:15 PM
Rumor is KW is asking Gonzalez to keep the contract signing quiet until the Sox complete a trade for Cotts' replacement.

Where did you hear this?

And I believe they have a pretty good SS over there.

DaleJRFan
11-16-2006, 09:16 PM
Where did you hear this?

And I believe they have a pretty good SS over there.

www.southsidesox.com (http://www.southsidesox.com)

champagne030
11-16-2006, 09:18 PM

What rumor? Uribe isn't much of an upgrade over Wilson to net Gonzalez.

DaleJRFan
11-16-2006, 09:19 PM
What rumor? Uribe isn't much of an upgrade over Wilson to net Gonzalez.

Mike Gonzalez is a pipe dream - and I wasn't being serious.

Signing Alex Gonzalez and then trading Uribe for a LOOGY ain't makin much sense to me. But what do I know??? :dunno:

champagne030
11-16-2006, 09:21 PM

Nice source.

soxwon
11-16-2006, 09:23 PM
AGON a white Sox- You could do much worse.
He is a great fielder and he will hit.
Make the move KW!!!!!

Jjav829
11-16-2006, 09:25 PM

Hardly a reliable source.

It doesn't even really make sense. We're talking about Juan Uribe. It's one thing if you have a great player at a position and acquire another great player at the position and neither of them can switch positions. We're talking about Alex Gonzalez and Juan Uribe. Neither are worldbeaters. Teams aren't exactly going to be lining up for Juan Uribe if we were to sign Alex Gonzalez. I don't see it happening.

This reminds me of two offseasons ago when there was a rumor that some team offered Christian Guzman a deal and the speculation was that it was either us or the Nationals. It made no sense that it would have been us offering him the deal, and as we found out, it wasn't. Same thing here. It makes no sense for us to give Alex Gonzalez a 3-year deal so that he can give us the same thing (or even less) that Juan Uribe gave us last season for 3 guaranteed years. If KW is going to upgrade the shortstop position, well, he's going to upgrade the position, not make a lateral move.

oeo
11-16-2006, 09:26 PM
Make the move KW!!!!!

We already have an Alex Gonzalez. Ugh, please be the Reds.

chitown13
11-16-2006, 09:27 PM
This reminds me of two offseasons ago when there was a rumor that some team offered Christian Guzman a deal and the speculation was that it was either us or the Nationals. It made no sense that it would have been us offering him the deal, and as we found out, it wasn't. Same thing here. It makes no sense for us to give Alex Gonzalez a 3-year deal so that he can give us the same thing (or even less) that Juan Uribe gave us last season for 3 guaranteed years. If KW is going to upgrade the shortstop position, well, he's going to upgrade the position, not make a lateral move.

I completely agree. Except the only thing that scares me is that Ozzie has really made it known that he loves this guy

Pierzynski 12
11-16-2006, 09:27 PM
Yea, because we all know Uribe is awesome.

DaleJRFan
11-16-2006, 09:29 PM
Nice source.

Hardly a reliable source.

Its a rumor thread, isn't it? The Cheat's post was a rumor post. I really like his web site. It usually isn't baseless guessing like most other baseball sites. He usually offers very good analysis. The only knock is he provides most of the "White Sox news" for mlbtraderumors.com. Besides, if anyone took the time to read the actual article the Gonzalez "rumor" was taken from would realize that there is no mention of Gonzalez actualy signing a contact with the Sox.

Major League sources indicate that the team could be either the Chicago White Sox

Sox Fan 35
11-16-2006, 09:30 PM
he will hit.

I don't know about that.

this year: .255/.299/.397
career: .246/.292/.392

DaleJRFan
11-16-2006, 09:32 PM
I don't know about that.

this year: .255/.299/.397
career: .246/.292/.392

Uribe: .235 AVG | .257 OBP | .441 SLG | .698 OPS
A-Gonz: .255 AVG | .299 OBP | .397 SLG | .695 OPS

can Gonzalez bunt or work a count?

Uribe makes 3.5 million this year, doesn't he? What would it take to sign Gonzalez?? 2.5 million or so?? Might be worth it if trading Uribe nets the team a decent bullpen arm.

Jjav829
11-16-2006, 09:35 PM
Make the move KW!!!!!

Juan Uribe career numbers - .258/.297/.433/.730
Alex Gonzalez career numbers - .246/.292/.392/.684

Yeah, he will hit...worse than Uribe. At least Uribe will provide you with a little power at the bottom of the lineup and drive in some runs. Here are some interesting numbers.

In 1008 less at-bats, Juan Uribe has:
- 6 less home runs.
- 74 less RBI.
- 9 more stolen bases.
- 72 less runs.
- 249 less K's.
- 217 less hits.

Oh, and 54 less walks.

soxwon
11-16-2006, 09:35 PM
then again he is a former cub and now we have aardsma
could mean a bad result in the series.

DaleJRFan
11-16-2006, 09:37 PM

I think you are thinking of Alex S Gonzalez... which is a different player.

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/individual_stats_player.jsp?c_id=bos&playerID=136460

Pierzynski 12
11-16-2006, 09:39 PM
Ozzie loves him. Ozzie wants him, then he'll get him.:redneck

Jjav829
11-16-2006, 09:39 PM
Its a rumor thread, isn't it? The Cheat's post was a rumor post. I really like his web site. It usually isn't baseless guessing like most other baseball sites. He usually offers very good analysis. The only knock is he provides most of the "White Sox news" for mlbtraderumors.com. Besides, if anyone took the time to read the actual article the Gonzalez "rumor" was taken from would realize that there is no mention of Gonzalez actualy signing a contact with the Sox.

Right, but at least the original rumor stems from a Boston Globe reporter, who you would assume has a source that is at least somewhat reliable. That link was from a blog and it wasn't even a report rumor. It was a suggestion. Nothing more credible than if I say, "It's in the Sox best interest to go after Michael Young to play shortstop next season." That's not a rumor. It's simply my suggestion.

Uribe: .235 AVG | .257 OBP | .441 SLG | .698 OPS
A-Gonz: .255 AVG | .299 OBP | .397 SLG | .695 OPS

can Gonzalez bunt or work a count?

Uribe makes 3.5 million this year, doesn't he? What would it take to sign Gonzalez?? 2.5 million or so?? Might be worth it if trading Uribe nets the team a decent bullpen arm.

The report in the Boston Globe says 3-years, $15 million.

Wrong Alex Gonzalez.

DaleJRFan
11-16-2006, 09:40 PM

After looking at JJav's post and looking over his career numbers... I really hope NOT... he may be a gold glove quality SS, but with the bat he's bad.

Jjav829
11-16-2006, 09:41 PM

Ozzie also loves Michael Young. Oh, what will Ozzie ever do? Maybe we can forget about left field next year and play two shortstops. Crede can play a really deep 3B.

DaleJRFan
11-16-2006, 09:45 PM
Ozzie also loves Michael Young. Oh, what will Ozzie ever do? Maybe we can forget about left field next year and play two shortstops. Crede can play a really deep 3B.

The devil rays did it last year against Thome... if the DRays can do it, so can the Sox.

I wouldn't give Ozzie any ideas Jjav. He's probably at home right now surfing WSI with his notepad writing down posters' ideas.

oeo
11-16-2006, 09:50 PM
The devil rays did it last year against Thome... if the DRays can do it, so can the Sox.

I wouldn't give Ozzie any ideas Jjav. He's probably at home right now surfing WSI with his notepad writing down posters' ideas.

:yoohoo:
Hey Ozzman!

gr8mexico
11-16-2006, 09:56 PM
Im guessing the Sox are the ones going to sign Alex. Then there going to trade Juan Uribe and a SP for Vernon Wells. The Blue Jays need a SS and SP and after signing The BIG HURT they have the power to replace Wells Bat.

DickAllen72
11-16-2006, 10:15 PM
Im guessing the Sox are the ones going to sign Alex. Then there going to trade Juan Uribe and a SP for Vernon Wells. The Blue Jays need a SS and SP and after signing The BIG HURT they have the power to replace Wells Bat.

That would be pretty good...especially if they can sign Wells to an extension.

CWSpalehoseCWS
11-16-2006, 10:51 PM
This is an idiotic comment, but since the Jays covet Gonzalez (according to the article), any chance we could sign him and then trade him + SP to the Jays for Wells?

Jjav829
11-16-2006, 10:58 PM
This is an idiotic comment, but since the Jays covet Gonzalez (according to the article), any chance we could sign him and then trade him + SP to the Jays for Wells?

You can't do sign and trades in baseball.

SABRSox
11-16-2006, 11:50 PM

We'd have to be trading Uribe.

JermaineDye05
11-16-2006, 11:53 PM
You can't do sign and trades in baseball.

I beg to differ I've done it many times in MLB 06: The Show :D:

whitesoxfan
11-17-2006, 12:09 AM
I liked the Michael Young rumors much more...

gr8mexico
11-17-2006, 01:10 AM
I liked the Michael Young rumors much more...
Young is awful with his glove. The Sox still need to keep in mind that Defense also wins game. That's why it would be a great Idea to get Gonzalez and Wells. Instead of just getting Young. Come on Kenny make it happend

Frater Perdurabo
11-17-2006, 08:11 AM
Young is awful with his glove.

Not true.

twsoxfan5
11-17-2006, 08:26 AM
It seems to me that if the Sox do make this trade it is because they already have a plan in place for Uribe. I think Uribe has fallen out of favor with Ozzie and we all know what happens when Ozzie doesn't think you are giving it your all. I expect to see someone else at short this year and I hope we can get something good for Uribe who I think a lot of other teams with covet if he becomes available.

Fenway
11-17-2006, 09:36 AM
from Friday's Boston herald

There have been rumblings that the White Sox or Reds are gaining ground on landing free agent shortstop Alex Gonzalez (http://news.bostonherald.com/search/?searchSite=true&keyword=Alex+Gonzalez&mode=all&sorting=pubdate) with a three-year deal worth about $5 million a season.

The Red Sox (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox.bg) are not believed to be interested in anything other than a one-year deal for Gonzalez. Asked about the reports, Epstein said, “We don’t comment on free agent talks.”

The White Sox are not high on legally troubled shortstop Juan Uribe, while the Reds could use Gonzalez at short and move Brandon Phillips to second. . . .

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=167750&format=&page=2

delben91
11-17-2006, 11:16 AM
from Friday's Boston herald

There have been rumblings that the White Sox or Reds are gaining ground on landing free agent shortstop Alex Gonzalez (http://news.bostonherald.com/search/?searchSite=true&keyword=Alex+Gonzalez&mode=all&sorting=pubdate) with a three-year deal worth about $5 million a season.

The Red Sox (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox.bg) are not believed to be interested in anything other than a one-year deal for Gonzalez. Asked about the reports, Epstein said, “We don’t comment on free agent talks.”

The White Sox are not high on legally troubled shortstop Juan Uribe, while the Reds could use Gonzalez at short and move Brandon Phillips to second. . . .

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=167750&format=&page=2

I was didn't see this post initially and thought that I'd actually beaten fenway to the punch on an article in a Boston paper.

False alarm. :redneck

Milkman43
11-17-2006, 06:17 PM
I got the following off of mlb.com:

White Sox: There have been rumblings that the White Sox or Reds could be close to landing shortstop Alex Gonzalez with a three-year deal worth about $5 million a season. The White Sox are no longer very high on incumbent shortstop Juan Uribe. The Chicago Sun-Times reported that the Angels may have made a pitch for Freddy Garcia, possibly offering 24-year-old Ervin Santana.
What do you guys think? Alex Gonzalez is a great fielding shorstop but he is a career .246 hitter. I like Santana though i would make that move.

SABRSox
11-17-2006, 06:18 PM
Hey, buddy, what's the score?

thomas35forever
11-17-2006, 06:19 PM
Hey, buddy, what's the score?
Ditto.

KRS1
11-17-2006, 06:23 PM
What do you guys think? Alex Gonzalez is a great fielding shorstop but he is a career .246 hitter. I like Santana though i would make that move.

I think there are already two threads about each topic in 'Whats the Score'. Also, Alex Gonzalez isnt an upgrade at all, and albeit for more money.

SABRSox
11-17-2006, 06:24 PM
For your consideration for a new tag:

http://tinypic.com/2zowy3b.jpg

TaylorStSox
11-17-2006, 06:35 PM
For your consideration for a new tag:

http://tinypic.com/2zowy3b.jpg

Possibly the first thing we've ever agreed on. Here's to you! :gulp:

Brian26
11-17-2006, 07:47 PM
What do you guys think?

I'd rather have Uribe's defense and the occassional pop in his bat over Gonzalez.

I'd rather ship Vazquez out of here than the other big four. KW owes it to the big four to give them one more shot at the post season.

Fuller_Schettman
11-17-2006, 07:52 PM
Amen, Brian26! Just what edge does Gonzalez give you over Uribe? I like Uribe and would consider only Michael Young as a replacement.

And since Freddy has developed this new pitch, I would like to see what he could do with it in 2007 rather than hang onto Vasquez

Domeshot17
11-17-2006, 09:34 PM
Uribe is terrible.

However

Gonzalez isnt much better. The only nice thing would be seeing a guy with some clue of how to handle an at bat, move guys over, situational hit, instead of taking 550 swings for the fence

pauliemyhero14
11-17-2006, 09:36 PM
that is the only thing i like about alex gonzalez that he can handle the bat well and that when ever he tries to field a ground ball he doesnt try to chuck it as hard as he can to first base. What ever happened in the shooting thing involving him

Fantosme
11-17-2006, 10:06 PM
According to Rosenthal per Rotoworld, the Reds are close to signing Gonzalez, not the Sox.

Sox Fan 35
11-17-2006, 10:34 PM
that is the only thing i like about alex gonzalez that he can handle the bat well and that when ever he tries to field a ground ball he doesnt try to chuck it as hard as he can to first base. What ever happened in the shooting thing involving him

He will be cleared.

JermaineDye05
11-17-2006, 10:37 PM
According to Rosenthal per Rotoworld, the Reds are close to signing Gonzalez, not the Sox.

no surprise there, it honestly made no sense for Kenny to look at Gonzalez to replace Uribe

Pierzynski 12
11-18-2006, 02:29 PM
He signed with Cincy today.