PDA

View Full Version : Step Right Up! Form A Line, Cubs Buyers!

tebman
11-16-2006, 03:44 PM
Crain's Chicago Business (http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=22908)is reporting that several local groups of big-money investors are serious about making offers on the Cubs.

One of them is Bill Marovitz, Christie Hefner's husband, and another is William Wrigley, who apparently misses the old homestead.

Unbelievable numbers being discussed. $700 Million? :o:

Fenway
11-18-2006, 11:35 AM
Gammons on WEEI's Hot Stove Show this morning says the Tribune has been staggered by some of the offers. Gammons claims both Mark Cuban and Donald Trump are involved. Trump he claims would like to build a new stadium closer to the Loop. Tribune could recieve as much as 800 Million for the Flubs.

mrwag
11-18-2006, 12:05 PM
A new stadium?!?!? Blasphemy! Wrigley Field is the greatest ballpark on Earth, didn't you know?

voodoochile
11-18-2006, 12:06 PM
Gammons on WEEI's Hot Stove Show this morning says the Tribune has been staggered by some of the offers. Gammons claims both Mark Cuban and Donald Trump are involved. Trump he claims would like to build a new stadium closer to the Loop. Tribune could recieve as much as 800 Million for the Flubs.

That includes Wrigley Field. Probably in line with the actual value given their drawing value.

Anyone with half a brain should be able to field a winner there with the amount of revenue it generates.

Hitmen77
11-18-2006, 01:22 PM
That includes Wrigley Field. Probably in line with the actual value given their drawing value.

Anyone with half a brain should be able to field a winner there with the amount of revenue it generates.

I don't doubt this statement. But this past year has raised some questions to me. In a year like 2006 where the Sox and Cubs draw about the same amount of people, are the Cubs really rolling in the dough that much more than the Sox? If so, how? The Cubs ticket prices are higher and they get money from scalping their own tickets, but on the other hand the Sox have more skyboxes to rent out, have more advertisement around their park to draw revenue from and have more parking revenue.

Like I said, I don't doubt the Cubs are a cash cow, but if the Sox are supposedly bumping up against their salary limit, how do the Cubs have money to burn?

This is just a general question and in no way a disagreement with what you are saying about how much revenue the Cubs generate.

Fenway
11-18-2006, 01:25 PM
I don't doubt this statement. But this past year has raised some questions to me. In a year like 2006 where the Sox and Cubs draw about the same amount of people, are the Cubs really rolling in the dough that much more than the Sox? If so, how? The Cubs ticket prices are higher and they get money from scalping their own tickets, but on the other hand the Sox have more skyboxes to rent out, have more advertisement around their park to draw revenue from and have more parking revenue.

Like I said, I don't doubt the Cubs are a cash cow, but if the Sox are supposedly bumping up against their salary limit, how do the Cubs have money to burn?

This is just a general question and in no way a disagreement with what you are saying about how much revenue the Cubs generate.

The Cubs don't have to pay any rent at Wrigley Field for starters.

Hitmen77
11-18-2006, 01:27 PM
The Cubs don't have to pay any rent at Wrigley Field for starters.

but, isn't that offset by maintenence cost on a century-old building?

Hitmen77
11-18-2006, 01:29 PM
A new stadium?!?!? Blasphemy! Wrigley Field is the greatest ballpark on Earth, didn't you know?

Fixed it for proper teal-ness.

Only a fool would move them from Wrigley. They've got idiots going there just for the ballpark. Move them to a new park and they lose the tourist draw.

Steelrod
11-18-2006, 02:01 PM
Fixed it for proper teal-ness.

Only a fool would move them from Wrigley. They've got idiots going there just for the ballpark. Move them to a new park and they lose the tourist draw.
Ok by me!
They move them and the Sox will have to raise the roof to add more seats! Holy Cow (Teal)

voodoochile
11-18-2006, 02:01 PM

I would imagine they don't have that much more to spend, but that should be enough. I mean both teams can afford a payroll in the $100M range or higher.

You put an actual winning team in Wrigley and the press would go gaga and revenue would skyrocket (witness 1998 and 2003). The national media would run with the story like crazy and revenue would go up even more.

It's the acceptance of mediocrity and the willingness to market form over function that has led to the flubbies being so terrible through the years, not the lack of available revenue streams.

CLR01
11-18-2006, 03:26 PM

I would love to see the next apprentice run the Cubs even further into the ground. Now that would make for an excellent reality TV program.

Fenway
11-18-2006, 04:12 PM
but, isn't that offset by maintenence cost on a century-old building?

How much does it cost to put a net up under the upper deck?
http://a.abclocal.go.com/images/wls/wls_072804_wrigle7netting_st.jpghttp://a.abclocal.go.com/images/wls/wls_072704_wrigley_st.jpg

Hitmen77
11-18-2006, 05:55 PM
How much does it cost to put a net up under the upper deck?
http://a.abclocal.go.com/images/wls/wls_072804_wrigle7netting_st.jpghttp://a.abclocal.go.com/images/wls/wls_072704_wrigley_st.jpg

Good one!:roflmao:

I want Mags back
11-18-2006, 08:48 PM
I would hate it if the cubs left wrigley. the curse would die

FROM Curse of the Billy Goat on Wikipedia- Sianis was outraged at the ejection and allegedly placed a curse upon the Cubs that they would never win another pennant or play in a World Series at Wrigley Field again because the Cubs organization had insulted his goat, and subsequently left the U.S. to vacation in his home in Greece.

people think that the cubs are cursed, but really Wrigley is cursed to never have a World Series game

ND_Sox_Fan
11-18-2006, 09:21 PM
[/URL]Unbelievable numbers being discussed. $700 Million? :o:

Actually, this price isn't all that surprising given that the Red Sawx sold for [URL="http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/05_02/b3915618.htm"]$690 million in 2002. (http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=22908)

I have to imagine that the sCrubs brand value is equal to or greater than theirs, given the wide geographic "appeal" of the Cubs.

1951Campbell
11-18-2006, 10:30 PM
Unbelievable numbers being discussed. $700 Million? :o:

That ain't so bad. Here's my business plan:

1. Buy Cubs.

2. Install people with baseball brains in front office.

3. Give people with baseball brains about $110,000,000 a year to play with.

4. Make run at World Series, get close, maybe even win.

5. America's oh so cute little sweetheart team is actually competitive again.

6. Raise ticket prices to Red Sox levels again for yet another run.

7. Cubs are now flush with money, consistently competitive.

8. Sell Cubs for $1.2 billion.

9. Walk away with a half billion dollar profit in about 8-9 years.

Of course, this will never happen: please see "baseball brains" in items 2 & 3. 1060 W. Addison seems to repel baseball smarts like kryptonite repels the Man of Steel.

Fenway
11-19-2006, 04:44 PM
Actually, this price isn't all that surprising given that the Red Sawx sold for $690 million in 2002. (http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/05_02/b3915618.htm)

I have to imagine that the sCrubs brand value is equal to or greater than theirs, given the wide geographic "appeal" of the Cubs.

That price however included 80% of NESN which right now maybe worth more than the team itself. Every cable company in New England is pay $2 a month per subscriber to NESN. Thats a lot of $$$$

Andy T Clown
11-19-2006, 07:04 PM
Please let someone buy the flubs and move them to Montreal where there is a nice stadium only in need of minor repair. They can be "Canada's Team". Maybe they can learn French...the language of Lovable Losers!:smile:

DumpJerry
11-19-2006, 09:42 PM
Ok, if Trump really said he would build a new stadium near downtown for them, he is dumper than I already think of him.

Take the Cubs out of The Urinal, and you take 90% of their charm away. Suddenly, they will be in The Ball Mall (can you see Trump passing up the opportunity to not populate Trump Stadium with tons, I means TONS, of retial outlets inside and outside?). There will be no lawns to unrinate on after the game.

Fainlly, where the heck is there enough land near downtown that could still be called the north side to build this monstracity? Most of the empty large lots are south of Madison or way west of downtown.

BTW, if I bought them, they would be in a new park. I hear New Dehli, India is looking for a MLB franchise.

CLR01
11-19-2006, 09:51 PM
Ok, if Trump really said he would build a new stadium near downtown for them, he is dumper than I already think of him.

Take the Cubs out of The Urinal, and you take 90% of their charm away. Suddenly, they will be in The Ball Mall (can you see Trump passing up the opportunity to not populate Trump Stadium with tons, I means TONS, of retial outlets inside and outside?). There will be no lawns to unrinate on after the game.

Fainlly, where the heck is there enough land near downtown that could still be called the north side to build this monstracity? Most of the empty large lots are south of Madison or way west of downtown.

BTW, if I bought them, they would be in a new park. I hear New Dehli, India is looking for a MLB franchise.

They don't have to build on the northside.

SABRSox
11-19-2006, 09:54 PM
Trump cares not for anyone but Donald Trump. I would be thrilled if he bought the Cubs. He'd completely ruin that franchise, moreso than the Tribune company could ever dream of.

DumpJerry
11-19-2006, 10:30 PM
They don't have to build on the northside.

Where would they build it? Trump says "closer to downtown." The fanbase would vomit before coming to the South Side. Also, if Trump looked serious about buying and made noise about tearing down The Urinal, I can see Number One White Sox Fan quickly giving The Urinal landmark designation......how delicious that would be!

lakeviewsoxfan
11-19-2006, 10:36 PM
Where would they build it? Trump says "closer to downtown." The fanbase would vomit before coming to the South Side. Also, if Trump looked serious about buying and made noise about tearing down The Urinal, I can see Number One White Sox Fan quickly giving The Urinal landmark designation......how delicious that would be!

How right you are counselor! Daley's not dumb Wrigley=Tourists which=mucho bucks. Never will see it in my life time.

Like I hvae said before 8 Years is along ****ing time.

CLR01
11-19-2006, 10:44 PM

The hairpiece would never allow Cub Fans to interfer with his ego. He'll build a dome in Gary, IN to share with the Miss USA pageant if he wants too.

tebman
11-19-2006, 10:45 PM
We might see the Cubs sold sooner rather than later if those are legitimate offers. Remember, the Tribune is in a financial pinch. If they could sell the Cubs for $700 - $800 million, that might be enough money to solve several problems for them.

Like Charles Foster Kane, the Tribune poobahs wanted to build a moneymaking Xanadu that Wall Street would love. Instead they've driven themselves into a ditch by overloading the company and assuming (incorrectly) that they'd get favorable rulings from the FCC and the IRS to allow them to buy TV stations and skip payment on the billion-dollar tax bill they owe.

700-800 million dollars might be enough for them to lose whatever emotional attachment they have to the Cub mythology they created. They could get back to running a newspaper again instead of playing Monopoly.

DumpJerry
11-19-2006, 11:31 PM
The hairpiece would never allow Cub Fans to interfer with his ego. He'll build a dome in Gary, IN to share with the Miss USA pageant if he wants too.
You know what? You're right. He'll build in Gary and the Cubs' 6 or 7 fans will show up.

...and the masses will still stay at home to watch his television show and fork over $$$ to hear him speak.

DSpivack
11-20-2006, 02:35 AM
We might see the Cubs sold sooner rather than later if those are legitimate offers. Remember, the Tribune is in a financial pinch. If they could sell the Cubs for $700 - $800 million, that might be enough money to solve several problems for them.

Like Charles Foster Kane, the Tribune poobahs wanted to build a moneymaking Xanadu that Wall Street would love. Instead they've driven themselves into a ditch by overloading the company and assuming (incorrectly) that they'd get favorable rulings from the FCC and the IRS to allow them to buy TV stations and skip payment on the billion-dollar tax bill they owe.

700-800 million dollars might be enough for them to lose whatever emotional attachment they have to the Cub mythology they created. They could get back to running a newspaper again instead of playing Monopoly.

HA! You don't make money with the former, and you get to horde it with the latter.