PDA

View Full Version : Jake Peavy? To the Braves??

DaleJRFan
11-16-2006, 03:21 PM
Jerry Crasnick on ESPN radio:

the Padres are close to sending Jake Peavy to Atlanta for Marcus Giles, Horacio Ramirez and Jarrod Saltalamacchia.

This is from MLBTradeRumors.com, with espn radio as the source.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2006/11/jake_peavy_to_t.html

:o: This trade is insane. I don't care what you get in return, trading Jake Peavy makes no sense, none. I hope for San Diego's sake this rumor is completely false.

JUribe1989
11-16-2006, 03:24 PM
I can buy this as a good trade for SD. They lost Barfield and can replace him with Giles, who is reunited with his brother Brian. Salmatacchia (sp.) is a stud prospect that I have always heard his name mentioned in top prospect talks and with the off year that Peavy had, Horacio Ramirez could stand close to pitching as well as Peavy did in '06.

spiffie
11-16-2006, 03:32 PM
Jerry Crasnick on ESPN radio:

the Padres are close to sending Jake Peavy to Atlanta for Marcus Giles, Horacio Ramirez and Jarrod Saltalamacchia.

This is from MLBTradeRumors.com, with espn radio as the source.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2006/11/jake_peavy_to_t.html

:o: This trade is insane. I don't care what you get in return, trading Jake Peavy makes no sense, none. I hope for San Diego's sake this rumor is completely false.
Obviously the Padres win this trade, they get 45 letters in return for 9.

I would think they could get more for Peavy, but this isn't an awful trade.

DaleJRFan
11-16-2006, 03:41 PM
Obviously the Padres win this trade, they get 45 letters in return for 9.

I would think they could get more for Peavy, but this isn't an awful trade.

yea... you're right. It's not a terrible trade, but I don't understand why you trade a young, outstanding ace starting pitcher in Jake Peavy for a league average lefthanded starter, a prospect and an aging second baseman on the decline... I don't get it. Oh well.

SoxxoS
11-16-2006, 03:53 PM
Didnt "salty" really suck this year?

WhiteSoxFan84
11-16-2006, 04:42 PM
Isn't Jarrod Saltalamacchia supposed to be a HUGE prospect?

buehrle4cy05
11-16-2006, 04:44 PM
Isn't mlbtraderumors.com the most unreliable site on the internet?

I'll believe it when I see it.

palehozenychicty
11-16-2006, 04:48 PM
yea... you're right. It's not a terrible trade, but I don't understand why you trade a young, outstanding ace starting pitcher in Jake Peavy for a league average lefthanded starter, a prospect and an aging second baseman on the decline... I don't get it. Oh well.

All of the Padres moves have been really, really strange so far this offseason.

MrX
11-16-2006, 05:17 PM
mlbtraderumors now admitting they got punked and this is a made-up rumor.

DaleJRFan
11-16-2006, 05:26 PM
uh oh... at least it wasn't another "...this is my 2007 Sox lineup" thread.

I'll think twice before I post a rumor from that site. Wait, I won't think twice... I just won't post them anymore.

Britt Burns
11-16-2006, 05:35 PM
If I'm San Diego, I don't make this trade. Peavey is nasty, and just because he was a little off this year, he still is one of the best starters around. He does fit the Braves reclamation project mold, of getting top-tier guys coming off a bad year or two.

munchman33
11-16-2006, 05:51 PM
IMO, this trade makes sense for both teams. Atlanta had two starting catchers, and there's plenty of good options on the FA market for second basemen (though none as good as Giles). And now they get a stud starter.

The Padres get a good 3 guy in Ramirez, as well as new, improved starters at catcher and second base. Giles is likely to sign long term, and is one of the best at his position. Saltalamacchia has a pretty good chance to be one of the better catchers in the NL for the next decade.

Jjav829
11-16-2006, 06:33 PM
If Jake Peavy is available, Kenny needs to find a way to bring him here. :yup:

I doubt he's available, however.

buehrle4cy05
11-16-2006, 06:34 PM
Isn't mlbtraderumors.com the most unreliable site on the internet?

I'll believe it when I see it.

mlbtraderumors now admitting they got punked and this is a made-up rumor.

Not to brag, but :yup:

sox1970
11-16-2006, 06:41 PM
Isn't Jarrod Saltalamacchia supposed to be a HUGE prospect?

I miss Harry Caray.

The Critic
11-16-2006, 07:50 PM
I miss Harry Caray.
I miss Will Farrell's Harry Caray.
:D:

getonbckthr
11-16-2006, 08:06 PM
I could understand Peavy and Cameron for Jones and Hudson or even Peavy for Jones staright up but...

munchman33
11-16-2006, 10:23 PM
I could understand Peavy and Cameron for Jones and Hudson or even Peavy for Jones staright up but...

Ick....no, giles, ramirez, and that long named catching prospect stud would be a way better deal for Peavy. The reason this rumor was so believable was that there was a ton of talent going to the Padres, even if some people think there isn't a price you could pay for a guy like Peavy.

DSpivack
11-17-2006, 02:07 AM
Ick....no, giles, ramirez, and that long named catching prospect stud would be a way better deal for Peavy. The reason this rumor was so believable was that there was a ton of talent going to the Padres, even if some people think there isn't a price you could pay for a guy like Peavy.

A ton of talent? Marcus Giles had a very dissapointing year, putting up .262/.341/.387. That wasn't good enough for league-average. Ramirez, in just 14 starts, went 5-5 with a 4.48, basically league-average. Yes, for Giles this was his worst season, but even at his best he's not that great of a player. Ramirez career numbers prove to be nothing more than average.

Saltalamacchia may be a very good prospect, but the Braves do have Brian McCann coming off a wonderful season. He was at AA this past year despite being just 21; although his numbers were very dissapointing; .230/.353/.380 for a .733 OPS. I wonder if he was injured; played 92 games.

Not sure which Jones you mean, but Andruw is one of the best players in the history of the game. The Braves would be stupid to let him go. He has 342 HRs, nearly 1600 hits, and won't turn 30 until next season is three weeks old. Not to mention he's one of the best in CF defensively. I know the Gold Glove isn't the best measure as it's based upon popularity, but winning it every year since 1998 does show something.

Was it for Chipper? That I can understand being a bad deal; yes, the Padres have needed a 3B for some time now, but Larry Wayne Jones will be 35 at the start of next season. He's also one of the most popular players in franchise history; I think Atlanta would be dumb to trade him, even if his career is in the shadows.

munchman33
11-17-2006, 02:11 AM
A ton of talent? Marcus Giles had a very dissapointing year, putting up .262/.341/.387. That wasn't good enough for league-average. Ramirez, in just 14 starts, went 5-5 with a 4.48, basically league-average. Yes, for Giles this was his worst season, but even at his best he's not that great of a player. Ramirez career numbers prove to be nothing more than average.

Saltalamacchia may be a very good prospect, but the Braves do have Brian McCann coming off a wonderful season. He was at AA this past year despite being just 21; although his numbers were very dissapointing; .230/.353/.380 for a .733 OPS. I wonder if he was injured; played 92 games.

Not sure which Jones you mean, but Andruw is one of the best players in the history of the game. The Braves would be stupid to let him go. He has 342 HRs, nearly 1600 hits, and won't turn 30 until next season is three weeks old. Not to mention he's one of the best in CF defensively. I know the Gold Glove isn't the best measure as it's based upon popularity, but winning it every year since 1998 does show something.

Ramirez was coming back from an arm injury last year. He was a pretty highly touted prospect. And he's still really young.

I did think you were talking about Chipper. Andruw Jones doesn't have as much value as you think though. He's going into a free agent year, and is making a ****load of money in that final year of his deal.

getonbckthr
11-17-2006, 02:59 AM
In my eyes when your first name is Chipper you need no last name:D:

DSpivack
11-17-2006, 01:12 PM
In my eyes when your first name is Chipper you need no last name:D:

That's what I like calling him by his real name, Larry Wayne. :tongue:

But saying Jones on the Braves, that just gets confusing.

JermaineDye05
11-20-2006, 05:39 PM
so what is the story on Jake Peavy, is there anyway the Padres would consider trading him? He is one guy I would love to have on our staff even though he had a bad year last season, he has a tremendous upside. I'm not gonna lie though I doubt the Padres would get rid of him, just thought I'd ask.