PDA

View Full Version : big hurt to the jays

pagansoxfan
11-15-2006, 07:58 PM
per the eastern seaboard propaganda network, he is close to signing with the blue jays.

CHISOXFAN13
11-15-2006, 07:59 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2663691

Frater Perdurabo
11-15-2006, 08:02 PM
BabyFisk is about to get a lot of PMs asking if he has a room to spare...

pagansoxfan
11-15-2006, 08:06 PM
canada fun fact # 678, big frank lives in the toronto suburb of north york, where his new suv is blue and white, and has a "go leafs go"! bumper sticker on the back.

SOXSINCE'70
11-15-2006, 08:13 PM
canada fun fact # 678, big frank lives in the toronto suburb of north york, where his new suv is blue and white, and has a "go leafs go"! bumper sticker on the back.

Maybe you should try this color instead.Just trying to help.

:tealtutor:

:tealpolice:
"1 Adam-12,1 Adam-12,a possible violation.See the Mods.":cool:

patbooyah
11-15-2006, 08:13 PM
this is what it says on rotoworld.com:

The Blue Jays are closing in on a deal with free agent Frank Thomas, two sources at the general managers' meetings told ESPN.com.
Now here's a surprise. It's hard to believe that, with just two quality starters on their roster and hardly as much financial flexibility as last year, the Jays are going to spend at least $7 million-$8 million per year on a DH. Maybe it's a sign that they're going to move Vernon Wells for pitching. Otherwise, they're also blocking Adam Lind. If Wells is dealt, Reed Johnson could go to center and Lind could play left. Nov. 15 - 9:05 pm et

if they want pitching, could the sox be a potential destination for mr. wells?

CWSpalehoseCWS
11-15-2006, 08:25 PM
if they want pitching, could the sox be a potential destination for mr. wells?

Sounds good to me.

A. Cavatica
11-15-2006, 08:47 PM
I'd rather have Wells than anyone -- Crawford, A-Rod, Ichiro.

oeo
11-15-2006, 08:52 PM
I'd rather have Wells than anyone -- Crawford, A-Rod, Ichiro.

If we re-sign him. Otherwise, one-year rental = no thanks. And word is he wants Carlos Beltran money.

patbooyah
11-15-2006, 08:59 PM
and in another thread it was reported that kenny was talking to the jays about wells...

A. Cavatica
11-15-2006, 09:12 PM
If we re-sign him. Otherwise, one-year rental = no thanks. And word is he wants Carlos Beltran money.

Yeah, I was ignoring the contract aspect.

Before all the Crawford/A-Rod/Ichiro fans jump down my throat, let me state my reasons. Wells is at his peak age, unlike A-Rod and Ichiro who are beginning to decline. I just flat-out think he's better than Crawford. And he's the biggest upgrade from the Sox incumbent at his position.

joebro25
11-15-2006, 09:15 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6177240

Rosenthal says the deal is worth at least $20million with an option for a third year.

nodiggity59
11-15-2006, 09:47 PM
If we trade for and extend Wells, I'd like to see Dye or Thome moved for young pitching and or leadoff hitting. I love locking up Wells b/c it secures us long term, but it does little for us in 07.

buehrle4cy05
11-15-2006, 10:28 PM
Why does he have to go to the teams with the worst uniforms?

Anyways, he really cashed in on this year. The fact is, I still wouldn't trust him to be healthy for a whole season.

Hendu
11-15-2006, 10:47 PM
I'd much rather see Big Frank on the Jays than in those white shoes. Especially with #500 approaching.

That's a lot more guaranteed money than I thought Frank would get...but then again, pretty much all the free agent signings have been above my expectations this offseason.

dcb56
11-15-2006, 10:48 PM

Who isn't looking for Carlos Beltran money these days?

FedEx227
11-15-2006, 10:50 PM
Error-amis "E5" Ramirez isn't. He gave a hometown discount REMEMBER!?! *

*well after he opted out of his contract, then absolutely robbed the Cubs who could have gotten 4-5 other players instead of him... when they clearly have glaring holes in their pitching staff.

CLR01
11-15-2006, 11:43 PM
Does anyone know how many of his 487 home runs would be lost in the conversion to metric?

$20 million, eh? Not bad Frank. Stop by and say hello to West and Baby Fisk.

Oldschoolsoxguy
11-15-2006, 11:48 PM
Driving home a while ago i heard ESPN radio say that Thomas is close to a deal with the Blue Jays.I guess he wasn't THAT fond of staying in Oakland and showing his gratitude towards the team that picked him off the scrap heap.Not when somebody else waves more $$$ in his face.Big loss for the A's though.

CLR01
11-15-2006, 11:53 PM
Driving home a while ago i heard ESPN radio say that Thomas is close to a deal with the Blue Jays.I guess he wasn't THAT fond of staying in Oakland and showing his gratitude towards the team that picked him off the scrap heap.Not when somebody else waves more $$$ in his face.Big loss for the A's though.

And god bless him for it. I hope he takes a dump on Billy boys car before he leaves Oakland.

LuvSox
11-16-2006, 12:32 AM
Toronto wins the AL East next year, with or without Frank. Mark it.

MUsoxfan
11-16-2006, 12:48 AM

Doubt it. The pitching isn't there

Baby Fisk
11-16-2006, 07:53 AM
:mg:

Reserving judgement until I actually see a Toronto jersey draped over those mammoth mountaintops that lesser mortals refer to as "shoulders".

SOXSINCE'70
11-16-2006, 08:24 AM
Doubt it. The pitching isn't there

Agreed.And if the rumors of Andy Pettitte and
"Ra-Jah" Clemens possibly resigning with the
Yankmees are true (or if the Blow Sawx get
the Japanese pitcher whose name escapes me),
they will battle it out for the A.L. East.

soxfan13
11-16-2006, 09:44 AM
And god bless him for it. I hope he takes a dump on Billy boys car before he leaves Oakland.

He should be kissing Billy Boys ass!!!! Billy boy is the reason Frank is getting this contract. I am with the above poster "way to show gratitude to the only man willing to give you a chance"!!

Fenway
11-16-2006, 09:46 AM
Toronto writer is blunt. Bad move for the Jays

Not wishing anything bad on an aging ballplayer who penned the best comeback story of the year, but the best thing that could happen for Jay fans in the next week would be if Frank Thomas failed his physical.

The anticipation of poor health is only wished upon the two-time former AL MVP if the reports emanating from the general managers meetings in Florida are true, that Toronto is on the verge of signing the 38-year-old slugger for a mega-contract of three years. Bad move

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1163631019583&call_pageid=969907739730&col=970081600908

palehozenychicty
11-16-2006, 10:02 AM

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1163631019583&call_pageid=969907739730&col=970081600908

The last thing that they need is hitting. Try another starter to back up the rotation and some bp help.

CLR01
11-16-2006, 10:29 AM
He should be kissing Billy Boys ass!!!! Billy boy is the reason Frank is getting this contract. I am with the above poster "way to show gratitude to the only man willing to give you a chance"!!

So Frank should turn down the 20 million and sign a 4-5 million dollar contract with the A's because Billy Boy took a chance on a future HOF slugger?

FedEx227
11-16-2006, 10:36 AM
So Frank should turn down the 20 million and sign a 4-5 million dollar contract with the A's because Billy Boy took a chance on a future HOF slugger?

That's not what he said. He just said why should he be bitter at Beane? Beane took a flyer on him when not many people were willing to. For that Frank should be a bit thankful.

MarySwiss
11-16-2006, 10:37 AM
Going in, I really thought they were going to take it in 2006.

Lip Man 1
11-16-2006, 10:48 AM
I'm very surprised at this simply because Toronto plays on a turf -like field. Not the greatest thing in the world for someone who has had five major surgeries on his ankle / foot since 1996.

Lip

CLR01
11-16-2006, 10:51 AM
That's not what he said. He just said why should he be bitter at Beane? Beane took a flyer on him when not many people were willing to. For that Frank should be a bit thankful.

It's exactly what he said.

His quote:
I am with the above poster "way to show gratitude to the only man willing to give you a chance"

The quote he is agreeing with:
I guess he wasn't THAT fond of staying in Oakland and showing his gratitude towards the team that picked him off the scrap heap.Not when somebody else waves more $$$ in his face.Big loss for the A's though.

They are not saying Frank should have a soft spot in his heart for Billy Boy as he heads off to Toronto. They are saying Frank should be staying in Oakland and being Loyal to Billy Boy for reviving his career even if that means turning down 20 million.

Crede_Fan
11-16-2006, 10:52 AM

Wasn't Frank a big supporter of Macha? Maybe thats why he's bolting Oakland.

SABRSox
11-16-2006, 10:53 AM
I'm very surprised at this simply because Toronto plays on a turf -like field. Not the greatest thing in the world for someone who has had five major surgeries on his ankle / foot since 1996.

Lip

I know money is the number 1 factor here, but I also think it's easier to hit home runs in Toronto, and Frank won't stop playing until he hits 500. Good for him, if the rumors are true.

Foulke You
11-16-2006, 10:55 AM

Lip
I was thinking the same thing Lip. Even though he'll only be running when he hits, there isn't as much give on that NexTurf stuff as there is on grass. Plus, at age 38, for the Blue Jays to be throwing $10 million a year for a 2 year deal is nuts. $10 million for 1 year would be risky given Frank's recent injury plagued seasons and his age but 2 years is crazy. There is no way the A's will match that kind've cash. Good for Frank, bad for the Jays.

Anyone think Beane will make a run at Bonds now given Barry's popularity in the bay area and the fact that he may take less money to stay near his home in SF?

Baby Fisk
11-16-2006, 10:55 AM

Lip
I had the same thought. Rogers Centre is all turf, with dirt only around the bases. But maybe it won't matter to the Big Hurt if he plans to hit dingers everytime he's up there. It is a HR-friendly park.

Red Barchetta
11-16-2006, 10:57 AM
I'm surprised because I thought had a nice Lovefest going in Oakland. Perhaps the whispers of Bonds moving to the AL/DH is true and Oakland is his first choice. :?:

Steelrod
11-16-2006, 11:06 AM
This is why I don't fall in love with players. This is their job and the reason is money. I certainly have no problem with that. I appreciate them when their with us, and wish them well when they leave, and that it!
This site is filled with people who follow players, defending the one's they liked, and attacking others who either don't love their favorite or miss another who they miss. None of these players come from Chicago or miss the team. Rare one's do miss the fans and most miss their teammates, or what a city offers.
Once they are gone, I can look back to what they give us, but frankly do not care once they leave, except when playing us when I root against them as much as any other opponent. My feelings are in the control of whoever is currently wearing our jersey.
I respect those with other opinions. They should respect mine!

RKMeibalane
11-16-2006, 11:07 AM

Here we go again. Why do people automatically assume that Frank must be angry with Beane to have interest in signing with the Jays? Baseball is a business. Frank is doing what he thinks is best for himself, both finanically, and professionally. Face it. The A's had no protection for Thomas for most of the season, as Swisher was inconsistent and Chavez spent most of his time battling nagging forearm and knee problems.

Toronto's lineup is much more potent, and will provide the big man with the help he needs. The 'haters- as usual- are looking for a way to make Frank look bad, even though it appears he hasn't done anything wrong. Toronto is interested in signing him, and he appears to be interested in playing there; therefore, there's no reason for people to complaining.

Baby Fisk
11-16-2006, 11:10 AM
I'm surprised because I thought had a nice Lovefest going in Oakland. Perhaps the whispers of Bonds moving to the AL/DH is true and Oakland is his first choice. :?:
The fans totally took to the Big Hurt. There were a lot of "feel good" stories about the Hurt and his "little brother" Nick Swisher. There haven't been any stories of the Hurt being unhappy in Oakland, he seemed to have found a nice new home. Maybe it's all about the money...

voodoochile
11-16-2006, 11:11 AM

No, someone would have signed him for even less money if Beane didn't and then Frank would have had his great year elsewhere and then the Jays would have signed him to a big contract.

Beane got a great deal for his one year rental. If he'd had the foresight/daring to sign Frank to a big money guaranteed deal back in January he'd still have that horse to ride, but as it is, he went cheap and it cost him when Frank stayed healthy and blew up.

Why anyone would begrudge any player from making as much as they can in the limited amount of time they have to play is beyond me. With Frank nearing the end of a HOF career, I hope he gets as much bank as he can.

Go on with your badself, Big man... You deserve it...

RKMeibalane
11-16-2006, 11:15 AM
The fans totally took to the Big Hurt. There were a lot of "feel good" stories about the Hurt and his "little brother" Nick Swisher. There haven't been any stories of the Hurt being unhappy in Oakland, he seemed to have found a nice new home. Maybe it's all about the money...

Maybe it is, but I can't say I blame him. Remember, Giambi's lying ass cost Frank money earlier in his career. The way I see it, he deserves to get back what he lost, one way or another.

I'm waiting for the FOBB to come here and make excuses. It shouldn't take long.

voodoochile
11-16-2006, 11:15 AM

With 3 years top left in his career, of course money is a big factor.

D. TODD
11-16-2006, 11:25 AM
No, someone would have signed him for even less money if Beane didn't and then Frank would have had his great year elsewhere and then the Jays would have signed him to a big contract.

Beane got a great deal for his one year rental. If he'd had the foresight/daring to sign Frank to a big money guaranteed deal back in January he'd still have that horse to ride, but as it is, he went cheap and it cost him when Frank stayed healthy and blew up.

Why anyone would begrudge any player from making as much as they can in the limited amount of time they have to play is beyond me. With Frank nearing the end of a HOF career, I hope he gets as much bank as he can.

Go on with your badself, Big man... You deserve it... Does that go for Magglio too?

voodoochile
11-16-2006, 11:27 AM
Does that go for Magglio too?

Sure, I don't give a rats ass for Magglio personally, but what the heck, go make your bank. Sox didn't lose anything, in fact they gained significantly from a stats and leadership perspective AND paid less money for Dye.

Magglio is the Tigers problem.

Baby Fisk
11-16-2006, 11:36 AM
The initial reaction from Jays fans is mostly positive. They are cautiously optimistic, with an eye on Frank's recent injuries. Some of them see it as the opening gambit in an eventual Vernon Wells deal. Of course, they acknowledge that they still need pitching or a monster batting order is meaningless.

linky (http://www.bluejayway.ca/forum/index.php?topic=13388.0)

tstrike2000
11-16-2006, 11:52 AM
Well, if nothing else, Big Frank will go from wearing ugly white shoes to a completely ugly uniform.

LuvSox
11-16-2006, 12:39 PM
Going in, I really thought they were going to take it in 2006.

So did I. They aren't done dealing yet. If they are serious they will get some arms, no doubt about it.

People are giving Clemens and Pettite way too much credit. Do they still have it? Can Clemens pitch an entire season?

We'll see what NY does, but it already looks like Boston is over spending again.

I would love to see Toronto win that division.

Foulke You
11-16-2006, 04:52 PM
They were close last year to finding the right mix. They were an excellent hitting team but I think they were a starting pitcher short in the rotation and the trade of Shea Hillenbrandt seemed to hurt the team. Whether it was his removal from the lineup or the distraction that messy turn of events created, it seemeed to have a negative effect on the team. Not sure if Frank is really what they needed. They probably should have gone after a pitcher or two.

MarySwiss
11-16-2006, 04:58 PM
So did I. They aren't done dealing yet. If they are serious they will get some arms, no doubt about it.

People are giving Clemens and Pettite way too much credit. Do they still have it? Can Clemens pitch an entire season?

We'll see what NY does, but it already looks like Boston is over spending again.

They were close last year to finding the right mix. They were an excellent hitting team but I think they were a starting pitcher short in the rotation and the trade of Shea Hillenbrandt seemed to hurt the team. Whether it was his removal from the lineup or the distraction that messy turn of events created, it seemeed to have a negative effect on the team. Not sure if Frank is really what they needed. They probably should have gone after a pitcher or two.

I planned on betting on them to win the AL East last season, but never got to Laughlin. I'll be heading there in about a month, and unless something radical happens to change my mind, I'll drop a few bucks on them. To win the East, of course; we all KNOW who's going to win the ALCS! :D:

I want Mags back
11-16-2006, 07:08 PM
so if he hits a homer there, it counts as 1.33 homers right, once u figure tyhe exchange rate

FarWestChicago
11-16-2006, 07:36 PM
He should be kissing Billy Boys ass!!!! Billy boy is the reason Frank is getting this contract. I am with the above poster "way to show gratitude to the only man willing to give you a chance"!!This could be a dark day for all of you scum laden A's fans. Well, **** off. Go find an A's board to cry on. Perhaps Frank got sick of the 'roids in the locker room and Billy Beane's enormous ego and decided to move on. Kudos to the big man if he departs to more ethical pastures! :thumbsup:

FarWestChicago
11-16-2006, 07:39 PM
The 'haters- as usual- are looking for a way to make Frank look bad, even though it appears he hasn't done anything wrong.In this case you have the assclown FOBB's piling on, too. :rolleyes:

fquaye149
11-16-2006, 07:40 PM

http://firejoemorgan.blogspot.com explains why that article is silly. It's the article on the site called "The Big 'Huh'?"

PKalltheway
11-16-2006, 08:13 PM
I think the move will pay off for the Jays, but only for one year.

fquaye149
11-16-2006, 08:18 PM
Does that go for Magglio too?

Frank never said he wanted to stay here and then turned down a large, fair contract.

Frank was upset he couldn't stay here.

Frank signed a bargain basement, incentive-laden contract with Beane. Beane did not re-up when he had a chance even though Frank was putting up awesome numbers in Oakland.

And then there are the 1,000 other reasons this is nothing like Magglio.

ND_Sox_Fan
11-16-2006, 09:27 PM
A couple points:

1) Frank seemed to really like the clubhouse atmosphere last year and Macha had a lot to do with that - he is now gone, which I am sure has a big impact on Frank's thinking.

2) The MONEY ISSUE: If I told you that you had 2-3 more years to work and you could work for 50-60% more in another location, where would you work?

Baby Fisk
11-17-2006, 08:27 AM
http://firejoemorgan.blogspot.com explains why that article is silly. It's the article on the site called "The Big 'Huh'?"
The next positive column Richard Griffin writes about the Blue Jays will be the first positive column he writes about the Blue Jays. He rips every move, good or bad. (he's thought of in moronotti terms on Jays message boards)

Baby Fisk
11-17-2006, 09:55 AM
It's official: linky (http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/November2006/17/c5914.html)

The TORONTO BLUE JAYS have signed designated hitter Frank Thomas to a two-year contract worth $18 million dollars with an option for the 2009 season.

CLR01
11-17-2006, 10:30 AM
It's official: linky (http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/November2006/17/c5914.html)

Go jump off a bridge you ungrateful POS. Without Billy you'd be nothing Frank, nothing.

Congrats Frank! :gulp: Unfortunately the Jays don't come to Chicago until July so that means there's little chance no. 500 happens at Comiskey. :(:

Steelrod
11-17-2006, 10:36 AM
Go jump off a bridge you ungrateful POS. Without Billy you'd be nothing Frank, nothing.

Congrats Frank! :gulp: Unfortunately the Jays don't come to Chicago until July so that means there's little chance no. 500 happens at Comiskey. :(:
No chance as we don't play at Comiskey!

ondafarm
11-17-2006, 10:53 AM
Here's the SI link. 2 years $18 million, $10 million option on 2009.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/baseball/mlb/11/17/bc.bba.bluejays.thomas.ap/index.html

Baby Fisk
11-17-2006, 11:06 AM
From bluejays.mlb.com:

Toronto general manager J.P. Ricciardi was not immediately available for comment, but a team official said that the GM would speak with reporters via conference call at 2:30 p.m. ET. It wasn't clear if Thomas would be available, due to his travel schedule.

That's kind of shoddy, given Frank's stature. This should have been a big event complete with a photo op of Frank putting on his new uniform. I hope they still do this eventually.

soltrain21
11-17-2006, 11:16 AM
His travel schedule? What the crap is he doing?

Baby Fisk
11-17-2006, 11:17 AM
Getting the hell out of Oakland? But that should have happened a month ago.

SABRSox
11-17-2006, 11:19 AM
Way to go, Frank! You still look best in silver and black, but blue and white is a huge improvement over yellow and green.

Baby Fisk
11-17-2006, 11:41 AM
Way to go, Frank! You still look best in silver and black, but blue and white is a huge improvement over yellow and green.
Since the Jays wear black jerseys half the time, Frank will look like he is wearing the alternate black Sox uniform again (I hope I hope I hope).

alohafri
11-17-2006, 11:44 AM

Exactly. He is playing craps.

I want Mags back
11-17-2006, 12:20 PM
$18 mill * 1.1459 = 20.6262 million canadien

Madvora
11-17-2006, 12:23 PM
Good luck Frank. That uniform is going to look even weirder on him than the A's one.

ondafarm
11-17-2006, 01:08 PM
Have to admit, I hate the Black Jays' uniforms. Although keeping it in perspective, in the league I played in there was one team that played in uniforms with pink as the color for piping and lettering. It looked awful but the players played in them anyways.

infohawk
11-17-2006, 01:18 PM
That's a terrific deal for Frank. That one year cheapo contract with the A's paid off for him. Needless to say, Frank must be content with the money seeing as he is highly, highly unlikely to sniff the playoffs in the next two or three years with the Jays. He doesn't have too many years left. Lucky he got a ring with the Sox, although it can't be quite as gratifying considering he was injured much of the year. Still, I'm glad his foot is strong enough to let him continue to play and put up good power numbers. Five hundred homers and the Hall await him.

Madvora
11-17-2006, 01:41 PM
Frank must be content with the money seeing as he is highly, highly unlikely to sniff the playoffs in the next two or three years with the Jays.
The Blue Jays finished in second place this year with 87 wins. They weren't that bad. Who knows what can happen from year to year. I still think the central will have another wild card winner in 2007, but who know what the Blue Jays can do...

palehozenychicty
11-17-2006, 02:04 PM
The Blue Jays finished in second place this year with 87 wins. They weren't that bad. Who knows what can happen from year to year. I still think the central will have another wild card winner in 2007, but who know what the Blue Jays can do...

Unless they get another starter, or resign Lilly, probably second place. Their relief leading up to Ryan left a lot to be desired as well. Even their middle infield is unsettled with Hill/McDonald/Adams. But as Madvora said, you never know. I just don't think Thomas will make them that much better than 87 wins.

DoItForDanPasqua
11-17-2006, 03:35 PM
Does he know he is going to have to stand through two national anthems before every game, that could have been a deal breaker.

Baby Fisk
11-17-2006, 03:36 PM
Have to admit, I hate the Black Jays' uniforms. Although keeping it in perspective, in the league I played in there was one team that played in uniforms with pink as the color for piping and lettering. It looked awful but the players played in them anyways.

By any chance, were they the Nippon Ham Wallets?

Myrtle72
11-17-2006, 03:38 PM
By any chance, were they the Nippon Ham Wallets?

:rolling:

Good one!

jabrch
11-17-2006, 05:47 PM
Any chance they are now going to swap Wells for pitching? Any chance they want Freddy or Javy?

LongLiveFisk
11-17-2006, 06:09 PM
Hmmm....wonder how A's fans feel about this? I'll have to go check out their fan boards. :redneck

TDog
11-17-2006, 11:28 PM
I am glad Thomas ditched the A's. Maybe there will be fewer WSI posters cheering for the A's next season.

However, it does look like a bad move for the Blue Jays, though. As old as Thomas is, and as limited as he is, I can't see why he would bet a two-year contract. I don't see him repeating his 2006 numbers. Apparently he doesn't have the sort of incentives to produce that he did last year. Even if he does repeat his 2006 numbers, he is a bigger gamble in his second year. I really don't see how the Blue Jays expect to contend, but if they have a magical season with Thomas and go to the World Series, it will be worth it.

Thomas is at the end of his career. Eventually, he will stop producing, even if he isn't injured, and the older he gets, the more likely he is to succumb to injury again.

I would much rather have seen Thomas sign in the National League to play first base. With the Thomas bandwagon staying in the American League, I'm afraid there will be a lot of Sox fans will rooting for the Blue Jays when they come to Chicago in 2007.

DumpJerry
11-17-2006, 11:39 PM
No chance as we don't play at Comiskey!
:?: Where do the Sox play? Have I been going to the wrong park for 35 years?

I want my money back!

Arkham
11-18-2006, 03:45 AM
Hmmm....wonder how A's fans feel about this? I'll have to go check out their fan boards. :redneck

Worth looking at. I found a thread on http://athleticsnation.com (http://athleticsnation.com/) and a thread called "Frank Signs..." No idea if these people are representative of A's fans or not, and I don't care enough to try and find out. Here are some quotes:

The Way I See It There could have been 3 Outcomes concerning Frank Thomas:
Option 1: Match Offer / Frank Stays relatively injury free / Make playoffs 2 out of 3 years
Option 2: Match Offer / Frank gets hurt / Miss playoffs 3 out of 3 years
Option 3: Don't Match Offer / Miss Playoffs 2 out of next 3 years (at best)

it sucks that frank is gone, but i wouldn't have given him anything over a year. he's too much of a risk. billy did the right thing by not matching or going higher then the blue jays. now he just needs to get us a big bat.

Good riddance....

"I hate the Angels"
by I miss Jason Giambi (http://athleticsnation.com/user/uid:5057)

first and foremost, Barton should be ready very soon to take over that DH position. And there is likely a better option sitting out there for DH in Barry Bonds. I hate the guy...I'll probably continue to loathe the guy even if he wears green and gold, but Bonds is basically seeking a one-year deal according to many reports. That's much more convenient for the A's considering Barton's development. You don't want to block his potential position for two more years, especially if he can't turn into a serviceable first baseman.
Part of me really doubts that Thomas will make it through two seasons without missing significant time, especially on that turf in Toronto.

There's a lot of chatter about who will DH for them in 2007 (Barton is Daric Barton, the Cardinals' prospect they got in the Mulder trade.) Really it's probably the majority of the topic, far moreso than Frank's departure. Not surprising when you think about it. Given the A's inability to keep their players, I imagine A's fans must be used to guys leaving by now. A lot of hand-wringing over the Bonds rumor. There's a definite split with one camp (while not actually liking Bonds,) caring more about his on-the-field benefits than his off-the-field drawbacks and the other more militant sect just not wanting him on the team.

if i had a say: i'd rather have bonds @ 10 mil X 1 yr then FT at 18 mil X 2 + an option.

Bring on Bonds I hate the guy but ill easily swallow my pride if he helps us win games. I can root for the guy. Call me fickle, but i love me some wins

I watch those Giants fans worshipping him and it makes me disgusted. If the only way you can have pride in your team is with wins, then it's a hollow pursuit, this whole fandom thing.
I don't want the A's to be the team that the game's worst steroid cheat is on when he breaks the last pure record left.

Character has nothing to do with it. Don't even try bringing that into the fray. Rooting for a baseball team or players isn't where one displays character, it's out in the real world, with real issues.

Bonds would pay for himself. That's not true of any other player or group of players that the A's could get to command that same chunk of payroll.
If Bonds was paid $10 million for next year, the A's (or whomever signed him) would turn a healthy profit on increased attendance alone. The "break-even" point, i.e. the salary point at which Bonds would exactly pay for himself in 2007, is probably between 15 and 20 million.

White_Sock
11-18-2006, 05:54 PM
This could be sweet if it opens up a Wells deal for us. However, we cannot really afford to give up the starting pitching that will have a HUGE rebound in 07. The Jays need pitching. We have it. The real question is: who would you be willing to give up? MB? FG? JC? JD? or Bmac? I'd take our chances without Wells unless Kenny can pull one over on the Jays and make a trade excluding our starters. We've seen Kenny work with less and get equal talent.

Grzegorz
11-19-2006, 05:03 AM
I would much rather have seen Thomas sign in the National League to play first base. With the Thomas bandwagon staying in the American League, I'm afraid there will be a lot of Sox fans will rooting for the Blue Jays when they come to Chicago in 2007.

Well ignore those "Thomas is bigger than the Chicago White Sox" folks; baseball is a team game.

The team comes before any player...

Frank Thomas could never play in the National League.

voodoochile
11-19-2006, 08:52 AM
Well ignore those "Thomas is bigger than the Chicago White Sox" folks; baseball is a team game.

The team comes before any player...

Frank Thomas could never play in the National League.

Probably not anymore, but up until breaking his ankle a few years ago, NL teams would have given him a shot to be the regular 1B simply to get his bat in the lineup.

soxinem1
11-21-2006, 10:08 PM

You never know, maybe OAK didn't even offer him anything knowing Barry might be had cheaply. Barry might be the only one who could put a few more fannies in the seats in OAK. And they need all the help they can get in that department.

Frankfan4life
11-22-2006, 04:20 AM
I'm glad Frank didn't stay with the "A's." I was afraid of him bonding with that team. I want Frank to always be identified as a White Sox. I wish Frank good luck and the Jays bad luck. :?:

Fenway
11-28-2006, 05:12 PM
Frank gets to keep #35
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20061128/capt.5ae12fd113f04ea3b05b82e38b30c36c.blue_jays_fr ank_thomas_baseball_cpth106.jpg
Toronto Blue Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi, left, Frank Thomas, center, and president and CEO Paul Godfrey pose for a photo during a press conference in Toronto Tuesday, Nov. 28, 2006. The Toronto Blue Jays introduced Thomas as the Blue Jays new designated hitter

Toronto first baseman Lyle Overbay did his part, too.

Last season, Overbay wore No. 35, which has been Thomas' number throughout his career. When Thomas held up his new Blue Jays jersey at the press conference, he revealed that he still had No. 35 under his name.
"I spoke with Lyle Overbay a few days ago and it was a great conversation," Thomas said with a laugh. "He said, 'Well, I just don't know what I'm going to do now. They forced 35 on me and I had a great year in it.'
"[Overbay] said he's open to changes with the number," he added. "He started with 11 and he said he might go to 11. I'm going to do something special for him."

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061128&content_id=1746972&vkey=news_tor&fext=.jsp&c_id=tor

RKMeibalane
11-28-2006, 06:14 PM
Frank gets to keep #35
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20061128/capt.5ae12fd113f04ea3b05b82e38b30c36c.blue_jays_fr ank_thomas_baseball_cpth106.jpg
Toronto Blue Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi, left, Frank Thomas, center, and president and CEO Paul Godfrey pose for a photo during a press conference in Toronto Tuesday, Nov. 28, 2006. The Toronto Blue Jays introduced Thomas as the Blue Jays new designated hitter

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061128&content_id=1746972&vkey=news_tor&fext=.jsp&c_id=tor

That was nice of Overbay to give up #35 for him. I'm sure the Frank-haters are going to start bitching about how this proves he's a bad influence in the clubhouse.

Madvora
11-28-2006, 06:22 PM
Go get those Yankees and Red Sox Frank!

Baby Fisk
11-29-2006, 12:10 PM
You can take one of baseball's greatest hitters, but he still looks stupid wearing that stupid hat.
Nonetheless, welcome to Canada big man! :bandance:

http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/1043/hurt1gr2.jpg
"West and Michelle, you comin' up to Rogers Centre this summer? I'll hit one out for you, maybe a couple. Cheeaaaaa!"

FarWestChicago
11-29-2006, 06:37 PM
You can take one of baseball's greatest hitters, but he still looks stupid wearing that stupid hat.It looks a hell of a lot better than that disgraceful 'roids hat he wore last year. :thumbsup:

Baby Fisk
11-30-2006, 12:03 PM
Just noticed that during the Thomas presser, the Jays unveiled their 18th new hat design in the past decade. Apparently these are the new alternate hats. The downward spiral continues...

graphic linky (http://i12.tinypic.com/33w9vyx.jpg)

ewokpelts
11-30-2006, 12:22 PM
Just noticed that during the Thomas presser, the Jays unveiled their 18th new hat design in the past decade. Apparently these are the new alternate hats. The downward spiral continues...

graphic linky (http://i12.tinypic.com/33w9vyx.jpg)how i long for the maple leaf(either the 80's version or 90's update)