PDA

View Full Version : this I couldn't believe

JermaineDye05
11-15-2006, 07:18 PM
http://sports.aol.com/mlb/story/_a/crash-survivor-likely-suing-lidles/20061111102009990001?cid=942

it sickens me what some people will do for money

ilsox7
11-15-2006, 07:30 PM
I see no problem with the lawsuit whatsoever. Pilot error led to someone flying their plane into the person's apartment, causing serious physical injuries. That's a pretty solid basis for a lawsuit.

southside rocks
11-15-2006, 07:32 PM
http://sports.aol.com/mlb/story/_a/crash-survivor-likely-suing-lidles/20061111102009990001?cid=942

it sickens me what some people will do for money

"During her month in the hospital, Benhuri underwent surgery and multiple skin grafts."

Yeah, clearly, she's just in this for the money.

Oblong
11-15-2006, 08:00 PM
Reminds me of when everybody got on the lady who sued McDonalds for the hot coffee burns. If you knew the specifics of the case and what McDonalds did prior to that, you'd know she was in the right to do that.
I won't go into it here. You can google it or I can provide a link.

ilsox7
11-15-2006, 08:05 PM
Reminds me of when everybody got on the lady who sued McDonalds for the hot coffee burns. If you knew the specifics of the case and what McDonalds did prior to that, you'd know she was in the right to do that.
I won't go into it here. You can google it or I can provide a link.

It's been discussed several times in the Parking Lot.

MUsoxfan
11-16-2006, 12:45 AM
I don't believe in lawsuits of this type. Accidents happen....the world is an imperfect place

ilsox7
11-17-2006, 12:00 AM
I don't believe in lawsuits of this type. Accidents happen....the world is an imperfect place

So if someone runs a stop sign and hits you, causing months (maybe permanent) pain, you don't think you are owed anything? It's just bad luck that your quality of life is lower?

MUsoxfan
11-17-2006, 12:04 AM
So if someone runs a stop sign and hits you, causing months (maybe permanent) pain, you don't think you are owed anything? It's just bad luck that your quality of life is lower?

I've thought about that long and hard, and to be honest I'd have to say I wouldn't sue. I doubt anybody would purposely get into a wreck.

I guess it's tough to say because I've been lucky enough to not be in a situation like that, but I don't really believe money is the answer.

LuvSox
11-17-2006, 12:17 AM
I've thought about that long and hard, and to be honest I'd have to say I wouldn't sue. I doubt anybody would purposely get into a wreck.

I guess it's tough to say because I've been lucky enough to not be in a situation like that, but I don't really believe money is the answer.

F that, I'm going for pain and suffering. That idiot ran a stop sign and caused me problems. Besides, you are probably getting money from their insurance company, not them. It's not like they lose the house.

ilsox7
11-17-2006, 12:26 AM

I don't think money is the answer in the sense that it will make you feel better or live pain free, but what about the money you lost while going to the doctor when you could have been working? Or what if the accident prevented you from working at your previous job?

I just think given the severity of the injury the person in this suit (or someone injured seriously enough to be in pain for a long time) deserves some sort of monetary damages.

MUsoxfan
11-17-2006, 12:31 AM
Okay, now what I don't get is this....

This woman who got burned (yes it's horrible) by Lidle's plane is gonna sue his estate. Lidle died (more horrible). So now...she's going to sue his estate (which is basically his wife), so now not only has she lost her husband in a horrific way, she's gonna lose millions.

Maybe I'm just weird about this, but tort law on a whole sickens me

southside rocks
11-17-2006, 07:03 AM
Okay, now what I don't get is this....

This woman who got burned (yes it's horrible) by Lidle's plane is gonna sue his estate. Lidle died (more horrible). So now...she's going to sue his estate (which is basically his wife), so now not only has she lost her husband in a horrific way, she's gonna lose millions.

Maybe I'm just weird about this, but tort law on a whole sickens me

Yeah, but people are reading this as 'this woman just wants to get rich' -- that's an assumption with no basis. I mean, the woman spent months in the hospital and had some serious surgery (skin grafts) -- who knows what kind of hospital bills she's got?

I've got good insurance, but it caps out at a certain point.

What if this woman had no insurance? Not good insurance? What if she's got half a million in hospital bills from this?

The article doesn't say, so we can't know. But she suffered some darn serious, life-altering injuries, through NO fault of her own. Where, then, should the money to take care of that come from?

See what I mean? :?:

ewokpelts
11-17-2006, 09:04 AM
Let's not forget that Lidle was a replacement player. Who got full MLBPA benefits post mortum. That's not chump change. And he was making millions to throw a baseball in Yankee Stadium. And who knows how many life insurance plans he had.
This woman lost her home and almost lost her life( as well as her kid's). And she was pretty badly burned.
Let her sue. And see what a jury decides.

soxinem1
11-17-2006, 09:12 AM
Yeah, but people are reading this as 'this woman just wants to get rich' -- that's an assumption with no basis. I mean, the woman spent months in the hospital and had some serious surgery (skin grafts) -- who knows what kind of hospital bills she's got?

I've got good insurance, but it caps out at a certain point.

What if this woman had no insurance? Not good insurance? What if she's got half a million in hospital bills from this?

The article doesn't say, so we can't know. But she suffered some darn serious, life-altering injuries, through NO fault of her own. Where, then, should the money to take care of that come from?

See what I mean? :?:

I couldn't agree more. This gal didn't ask for a plane to hit her house. Plus, can you imaging the psychological trauma that NY already feels when a plane looks to be even close to a building?

I really doubt the abuse of the legal system here. She should go for it.

Cuck_The_Fubs
11-18-2006, 12:33 PM
I couldn't agree more. This gal didn't ask for a plane to hit her house. Plus, can you imaging the psychological trauma that NY already feels when a plane looks to be even close to a building?

I agree

BA: The Hitman
11-18-2006, 04:05 PM

Well no **** this lady didn't ask for the plane to hit her house. Do you think Cory Lidle wanted to fly a plane into her house???? Anyone who thinks this lady should sue is sick in the head. As if Lidle's family isn't suffering enough right now, people think its right for his family to have to pay up........I'm really disturbed by this

Cuck_The_Fubs
11-18-2006, 04:11 PM
Well no **** this lady didn't ask for the plane to hit her house. Do you think Cory Lidle wanted to fly a plane into her house???? Anyone who thinks this lady should sue is sick in the head. As if Lidle's family isn't suffering enough right now, people think its right for his family to have to pay up........I'm really disturbed by this

When she has major doctor bills, who the hell is gonna pay them?

ilsox7
11-18-2006, 04:43 PM

There is very little logic behind this type of argument.

MarySwiss
11-18-2006, 05:13 PM

Well, then it looks like quite a few people on this thread are sick in the head. Include me in. This woman was IN HER HOME, narrowly escaped being killed, was hospitalized for a month, suffered intense pain, and most likely will have to endure still more skin grafts in the future. Of course, money won't change any of those facts. But what other recourse does she have? To expect her to just shrug off a life-altering experience as an unfortunate accident is unrealistic, IMO.

chaerulez
11-18-2006, 05:38 PM
Lidle's family probably had a lawyer explain to them a lawsuit is likely. This isn't at all surprising. Insurance only covers so much, someone is liable for the rest.