PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Levine = idiot

chaerulez
11-15-2006, 05:33 PM
I was going to post this yesterday, but I didn't remember until now. I was listening to MJH on the way to school yesterday and Levine said something along the lines of that the Sox should trade Buehrle because he isn't going to resign and wants to go to the Cardinals. I expect this kind of talk from some random fool with a blog pretending to be a journalist or speculation by fans, but for someone who calls himself a real "reporter", that's just uncalled for. I know everyone here knows Levine is a moron, but I still couldn't believe a professional would say something like that. When has Mark ever said he doesn't want to resign with the Sox so he can go to the Cards?

munchman33
11-15-2006, 05:50 PM
I was going to post this yesterday, but I didn't remember until now. I was listening to MJH on the way to school yesterday and Levine said something along the lines of that the Sox should trade Buehrle because he isn't going to resign and wants to go to the Cardinals. I expect this kind of talk from some random fool with a blog pretending to be a journalist or speculation by fans, but for someone who calls himself a real "reporter", that's just uncalled for. I know everyone here knows Levine is a moron, but I still couldn't believe a professional would say something like that. When has Mark ever said he doesn't want to resign with the Sox so he can go to the Cards?

No offense, but if you played for another team, and then became a free agent, wouldn't you sign with your childhood team if they were both good and willing to pay for you? It's pretty damn likely Buehrle is going to bolt after this year, unless the Sox severely overpay for him long term. Levine may be an ass-clown, but he's probably right about this.

veeter
11-15-2006, 05:53 PM
That sounds like a comment a fringe sports fans would make. Like, "I read something about how Mark Buehrle was wearing a Cardinals hat at the world series. He probebly wants to play for them." But to report it as fact, as a professional reporter is, irresponsible and sophomoric. What a complete...well...idiot, as you correctly described.

veeter
11-15-2006, 05:55 PM
No offense, but if you played for another team, and then became a free agent, wouldn't you sign with your childhood team if they were both good and willing to pay for you? It's pretty damn likely Buehrle is going to bolt after this year, unless the Sox severely overpay for him long term. Levine may be an ass-clown, but he's probably right about this.For him to be right about this, he would have had to actually talked to Mark about this. I'm pretty sure that hasn't happened.

fusillirob1983
11-15-2006, 06:11 PM
No offense, but if you played for another team, and then became a free agent, wouldn't you sign with your childhood team if they were both good and willing to pay for you? It's pretty damn likely Buehrle is going to bolt after this year, unless the Sox severely overpay for him long term. Levine may be an ass-clown, but he's probably right about this.

Buehrle has said multiple times that he'd like to play for the Cardinals someday, but he would also like to play for the Sox as long as the Sox want him around.

MarySwiss
11-15-2006, 06:15 PM
Buehrle has said multiple times that he'd like to play for the Cardinals someday, but he would also like to play for the Sox as long as the Sox want him around.
EXACTLY! And you know what; this is getting really annoying. What the hell does Mark have to do, buy billboard space to proclaim his love for the Sox? How many times is it for this rumor, anyway? Sheesh!

jamokes
11-15-2006, 06:46 PM
If nothing else, the threat to go to the Cardinals is a good bargaining chip.

Domeshot17
11-15-2006, 07:08 PM
first, I doubt Buehlre would actually say he wanted to leave chicago while he was here. Not saying I don't believe him, but he isnt the type to bitch about his team.

Second, trading Buehlre may be smart because his value should still be high, which it wont be if he has another bad year, and he is going to command a ton of money (zito esque) when he becomes an FA.

TaylorStSox
11-15-2006, 07:12 PM
As I learned with the Eric Gordon situation, where there's smoke, there's fire. It's not like MB is going to come out and say that we have no choice of signing him. First, it's a horrible business practice. Secondly, it's not in his character.

veeter
11-15-2006, 07:26 PM
first, I doubt Buehlre would actually say he wanted to leave chicago while he was here. Not saying I don't believe him, but he isnt the type to bitch about his team.

Second, trading Buehlre may be smart because his value should still be high, which it wont be if he has another bad year, and he is going to command a ton of money (zito esque) when he becomes an FA.
We're not the Marlins!!! When our players, especially home-grown ones, become good and expensive, why should we move them? Mark Buerhle and Jon Garland should wear Sox uniforms for fifteen years. Plus I'm willing to pay higher ticket prices and so forth, because Reinsdorf puts that money right back into the team.

TaylorStSox
11-15-2006, 07:31 PM
We're not the Marlins!!! When our players, especially home-grown ones, become good and expensive, why should we move them? Mark Buerhle and Jon Garland should wear Sox uniforms for fifteen years. Plus I'm willing to pay higher ticket prices and so forth, because Reinsdorf puts that money right back into the team.

Some of us aren't convinced he'll be worth his market value when he hits free agency. After last year, IMO, his future success is far from guaranteed. Pitcher's that use moxy to get by can be caught up to. Garland's different. He has fantastic stuff. I'm more inclined to believe that his recent success is more of a trend.

champagne030
11-15-2006, 07:31 PM
If nothing else, the threat to go to the Cardinals is a good bargaining chip.

It's more than just a bargaining chip. I believe if Mark makes free agency the Sox will have to outbid the Cardinals for his services. It's not a difficult concept to understand. Offer him a fair deal (in his mind) now and he's perfectly happy to stay with the Sox, but let him get to free agency and it's not going to be his fault that he decides to go home. I don't see a Konerko like discount for the Sox if the Cardinals come a knockin'.

TaylorStSox
11-15-2006, 07:33 PM
It's more than just a bargaining chip. I believe if Mark makes free agency the Sox will have to outbid the Cardinals for his services. It's not a difficult concept to understand. Offer him a fair deal (in his mind) now and he's perfectly happy to stay with the Sox, but let him get to free agency and it's not going to be his fault that he decides to go home. I don't see a Konerko like discount for the Sox if the Cardinals come a knockin'.

Or, trade him now.

champagne030
11-15-2006, 07:40 PM
Or, trade him now.

I don't disagree. I don't know who's on the 3 year board Kenny has, but the Sox have decisions to make. IMO, you need to offer an extension or at least be prepared to offer an extension in May (at the latest) or be ready to be left holding the bag. The new collective bargaining agreement no longer offers compensatory draft picks for losing free agents. So, either they trade him this offseason, sign him to an extension or pitch him into the ground next season and let him walk for nothing.

veeter
11-15-2006, 07:47 PM
Some of us aren't convinced he'll be worth his market value when he hits free agency. After last year, IMO, his future success is far from guaranteed. Pitcher's that use moxy to get by can be caught up to. Garland's different. He has fantastic stuff. I'm more inclined to believe that his recent success is more of a trend.In six plus years Mark is almost 40 games over .500. This was a bad year, no question. But he's not Mark Redmond, in regards to your moxy reference. He has a good fastball, which I think he lost velocity on because he was out of shape. His trend was established from 2001-05. I think Jon Garland could end up being one of the best Sox pitchers of all time. But Mark Buehrle, after ONE bad year, to be cut loose...no way. We'd regret it for a long time. Because he's going to pitch a long time.

oeo
11-15-2006, 07:53 PM

I'm sure there's a lot more that goes into the thought process than a team just being your childhood team. I can't fathom being a MLB player, so I have absolutely no idea what my choice would be. I would think that I would continue to play for the same team that gave me a shot in the league, who BTW is also much better than the Cardinals, and will most likely be willing to pay me the money I want.

I think a lot of people are taking this way too seriously...he will re-sign with the Sox.

jabrch
11-15-2006, 09:05 PM
One of our SPs is going to go. Frankly, I don't care who it is. If Buehrle can fetch us a good package, he's surely tradeable.

TomBradley72
11-15-2006, 10:29 PM
Once your a millionaire and set for life...I'm sure playing for your hometown for the team you loved as a boy becomes attractive. Alot of professionals reach a point in their careers where location becomed more important. I think it's pretty likely that he won't resign with the White Sox....I don't think it's the end of the world if he does leave...I just hope he leaves via a trade vs. free agency so we get somoething in return.

He's an offspeed pitcher who had a horrible season and has hinted in some way or another 2-3 times that he'd like to pitch for the Cards...the media isn't the bad guy for acknowledging it, Beuhrle's not a bad guy for wanting it, and KW isn't a bad guy if he doesn't over pay to retain him.

JB98
11-15-2006, 11:21 PM
Before the 2005 season, people said we should trade Konerko because we wouldn't be able to resign him. Well, we didn't trade him, and we signed him. All this speculation doesn't amount to a hill of ****.

oeo
11-15-2006, 11:31 PM
Once your a millionaire and set for life...I'm sure playing for your hometown for the team you loved as a boy becomes attractive. Alot of professionals reach a point in their careers where location becomed more important. I think it's pretty likely that he won't resign with the White Sox....I don't think it's the end of the world if he does leave...I just hope he leaves via a trade vs. free agency so we get somoething in return.

He's an offspeed pitcher who had a horrible season and has hinted in some way or another 2-3 times that he'd like to pitch for the Cards...the media isn't the bad guy for acknowledging it, Beuhrle's not a bad guy for wanting it, and KW isn't a bad guy if he doesn't over pay to retain him.

And that's why someday, I do think he will play for the Cards. After his next contract expires. He will finish his career there.

peeonwrigley
11-15-2006, 11:54 PM
*waiting for tarp sliding to be mentioned*

dcb56
11-16-2006, 01:30 AM

They're already jacking up ticket prices by ridiculous amounts, my season ticket package went up by over 19% for this coming season, so they certainly have no excuse to not show a guy like Buehrle the money it will take to keep him around.

The Critic
11-16-2006, 06:47 AM
*waiting for tarp sliding to be mentioned*
Wait no longer, you just mentioned it!
:tongue: :D:

INSox56
11-16-2006, 09:24 AM
And that's why someday, I do think he will play for the Cards. After his next contract expires. He will finish his career there.
As some have mentioned that anyone can say anything and not mean it, but MB has been quoted to say almost this exact same thing. That he'd LOVE to pitch for them and wants to...at the end of his career. And if you think about it...wouldn't you have more fun in the later years of your career pitching for your hometown team when winning isn't as big of an issue (if you've already won a championship that is).