PDA

View Full Version : If you couldn't be a Sox Fan....

Soxheads
03-05-2002, 04:18 PM
This could be interesting.

hold2dibber
03-05-2002, 04:56 PM
I don't think I'd actually ever be able to be a fan of another team, certainly not to the extent that I am a CWS fan; being a Sox fan is an ingrained part of my existence, a given since the minute I was born, a family imperative passed down for four generations. That said, if I had to try to choose another team, I'd probably be a Brewers fan. They play on real grass in the Midwest, their games are fun to go to (racing sausages and beer slides, you can't beat that) and the food is great, and they have a lousy owner (which is what I'm accustomed to). Plus, Milwaukee fans remind me of Sox fans in a lot of ways (knowledgeable about baseball, down to earth, and fun -- the only big difference I can tell is they aren't as grouchy and pessimistic as we are).

SoxRulecubsdrool
03-05-2002, 05:32 PM
:o: I just can't seem to do this. It's like asking me (a somewhat religious man) if you weren't a Christian what would you be. As I usually am, my second favorite team is the team playing the cubs. I was big on the Astros and Cards last year as I am sure most of you were also.
:gulp:

Cheryl
03-05-2002, 05:38 PM
I can't get excited about anyone else. I suppose I would go see a Cards game now and then when visiting family in St Louis. That would be about it.

MarqSox
03-05-2002, 05:50 PM
Being that I live a mile from Miller Park, I'd have to go with the Brewers.

Paulwny
03-05-2002, 05:57 PM
Anyone in the AL east who is challenging the Evil Empire in NY.

RedPinStripes
03-05-2002, 06:05 PM
I'd have to go with the Cardinals. I've always liked them. They were the first team i watched win the world series in 82.

doublem23
03-05-2002, 06:07 PM
I dunno.... If the Sox never existed, I'd probably be a Reds fan. I remember them in the 1990 World Series, and have always sort of liked them. That said, Go White Sox!!! :smile:

Dadawg_77
03-05-2002, 06:19 PM
Well I am not going to kid myself, I live almost my entire life on the North Side of Chicago, if I couldn't be a sox fan I would most likly be a scrubs fan. Excuse me now as I go and take a shower to cleanse myself.

nut_stock
03-05-2002, 06:21 PM
I voted for the cardinals but I think I have to reconsider. Being a Sox fan has given me a true dislike of the Chicago Cubs, but if the Sox never existed, i'd probably be a gasp, Cubs fan just because they are from Chicago. Now if the Sox have always existed and someone points a gun at my head and says I can't be a Sox fan anymore, then I'l root for the cardinals.

doublem23
03-05-2002, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Well I am not going to kid myself, I live almost my entire life on the North Side of Chicago, if I couldn't be a sox fan I would most likly be a scrubs fan. Excuse me now as I go and take a shower to cleanse myself.

That's also true. I have always been in the minority at school. Seemed like EVERYONE was a freakin' Cub fan except me and a few others...

Yeah, I probably would have been a Cub fan. Shudder So what? You wanna fight?

I remember I used to root for the Cubs (like, maybe 13 years ago), but one of my earliest (and now foggiest) memories is my dad getting Sox tickets from his boss when I was like 6, and the Sox played the Red Sox (I think) at old Comiskey, and although I don't remember who won or anything like that, but it was my first MLB game and I remember thinking, "Oh, this is AWESOME!"

Thank Goodness the Sox were here to keep me straight. (no pun intended :smile: ) Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Let's Go :sox!!!

Cheryl
03-05-2002, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by nut_stock
Being a Sox fan has given me a true dislike of the Chicago Cubs, but if the Sox never existed, i'd probably be a gasp, Cubs fan just because they are from Chicago. Now if the Sox have always existed and someone points a gun at my head and says I can't be a Sox fan anymore, then I'l root for the cardinals.

Yeah, but if the Sox never existed and everyone here was by default a Cub fan, that would raise the average IQ of all Cub fans by about 50 points. Therefore, the Cubs would have had smart fans all along and this 'lovable loser' marketting junk would have died out a long time ago.

Daver
03-05-2002, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl

Yeah, but if the Sox never existed and everyone here was by default a Cub fan, that would raise the average IQ of all Cub fans by about 50 points. Therefore, the Cubs would have had smart fans all along and this 'lovable loser' marketting junk would have died out a long time ago.

50 points Cheryl? I think you forgot that I am here,factoring that in reduces it to 25.:redneck

Cheryl
03-05-2002, 06:56 PM
I stand by my original estimate Daver. You're smart enough to be a Sox fan, after all. What else matters?

HawkDJ
03-05-2002, 07:03 PM
Going by the two scenarios...

If the Sox never existed I would definitly be a Cubs fan since they would be the only Chicago team! I think most of us would be, as scary as it seems. Just imagine, this is would what we would be watching...
:barney&sham

If the Sox existed but I wasn't a fan of theirs, I would be an Oakland A's fan. I have always liked them but never better than the Sox. If the Sox couldn't win the World Series I would want them to.

baggio202
03-05-2002, 07:03 PM
if the sox idnt exist..and id have prior knowledge of them i guess id have had no choice but to be a cub fan...

now if the question is if the sox contract or moved what team would i root for...i dont know...schamburg flyers :)

Huisj
03-05-2002, 07:33 PM
this whole situation where people all say they'd be cubs fans is a bit scary, but honestly, it only makes sense. i thought of an analogy . . . (and all my friends roll their eyes and say "he we go again" . . .)

Ok, you go to high school, and your school is big rivals with some other nearby highschool. The people at your school hate the other high school and always want to beat them at everything. However, what would've happened if your school didn't exist? You'd probably be going to that very high school that you hate because it's now the close one to you and that's where you go. And then they aren't the hated school, someone else is.

It's the same way for the sox and cubs I think (kind of). Everyone who's a sox fan likes the sox and not the cubs, but it the sox didn't exist, there wouldn't have been the sox to root for, and the real logical choice for chicagoans would be the cubs.

CubKilla
03-05-2002, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
I'd have to go with the Cardinals. I've always liked them. They were the first team i watched win the world series in 82.

Ditto..... for the most part. Plus they're hatred of everything Cubbie is rivaled only by the White Sox fan. St. Louis also posseses a very knowledgable fan base. Fans that actually care about W's and L's like the White Sox fans.

CubKilla
03-05-2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Huisj
this whole situation where people all say they'd be cubs fans is a bit scary, but honestly, it only makes sense. i thought of an analogy . . . (and all my friends roll their eyes and say "he we go again" . . .)

Ok, you go to high school, and your school is big rivals with some other nearby highschool. The people at your school hate the other high school and always want to beat them at everything. However, what would've happened if your school didn't exist? You'd probably be going to that very high school that you hate because it's now the close one to you and that's where you go. And then they aren't the hated school, someone else is.

It's the same way for the sox and cubs I think (kind of). Everyone who's a sox fan likes the sox and not the cubs, but it the sox didn't exist, there wouldn't have been the sox to root for, and the real logical choice for chicagoans would be the cubs.

NOT A CHANCE IN HELL WOULD I EVER BE A ScRub FAN!!!!! NEVER!

Jerry_Manuel
03-05-2002, 08:51 PM
I've always had a place in my heart for the Atlanta Braves.

Daver
03-05-2002, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
I've always had a place in my heart for the Atlanta Braves.

You would.

voodoochile
03-05-2002, 08:57 PM
Well, if the Sox did not exist - which is the only way I wouldn't root for them - then the next logical choice is the flubbies. Hate to say it, but it's probably where I would have ended up. I mostly rooted for those lovable losers in Middle school and early high school anyway, and I did grow up in Chicago, so odds are I would have just stayed on that bandwagon and ended up with a cell phone permanently taped to my head...

If there is another reason I cannot root for the Sox - they do something to spoil my loyalty (though what else they could do I don't know), then I would probably dump baseball all together, or root for the D-Backs or Cardinals...

Jerry_Manuel
03-05-2002, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by daver
You would.

Yeah, I would and I have always liked the Braves.

Huisj
03-05-2002, 09:05 PM
Here's something to think about though concerning the cubs . . .

If the sox hadn't existed, and it was the whole city that liked the cubs, don't you think teh circumstances of their existence would have been different? Would they be the "cute little lovable losers" that yuppies and fluffheads like, or would the greater diversity of the fanbase have forced them to be a real team and a real organization? Would the stereotypical cubs fan have dark gelled hair, a tucked in shirt, designer frame glasses, and a cell phone plastered to their cheek? Or would it just be a normal person?

this is getting to complicated for my mind to handle (not to mention my mind is fried already from working on calc homework and material sciences and engineering homework!?????!?!?!?!!?!? ahhahahahahahdlfjhaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh)

Cheryl
03-05-2002, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Huisj
Here's something to think about though concerning the cubs . . .

If the sox hadn't existed, and it was the whole city that liked the cubs, don't you think teh circumstances of their existence would have been different?

Isn't that what I said upthread somewhere? If we existed in this alternate universe where the White Sox never existed, there would be such things as Cub fans who wouldn't put up with crap like a Celebriduck give away.

GASHWOUND
03-05-2002, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Yeah, I would and I have always liked the Braves.

What a coinsidense, I'm a fan of the Braves too and actually have a Braves Pennant in my room/ So I would root for the Braves if the Sox never existed.

TimChamp
03-05-2002, 09:45 PM
Hey, I used to be a Flubs fan (VERY SHORTLIVED)...I went to a sCrUBs game in 1992 (I was 7 at the time) and it was around the end of September and for some reason the temperature that day was in the 30's and I didn't have a thick jacket that day...the only thing that kept me warm was everytime Sham-me went up I cheered for him (and a group of other students) to hit a homerun...much to my dismay (at the time, now to my delight), he struck out every time...0 for 4, with 4 K's and the Flubs ended up losing to the Astros 10-0...That's when I saw the light (or felt the breeze from Sham-me's whiffs) and knew that the White Sox were indeed the best team to root for... :gulp:

czalgosz
03-05-2002, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by TimChamp
Hey, I used to be a Flubs fan (VERY SHORTLIVED)...I went to a sCrUBs game in 1992 (I was 7 at the time) and it was around the end of September and for some reason the temperature that day was in the 30's and I didn't have a thick jacket that day...the only thing that kept me warm was everytime Sham-me went up I cheered for him (and a group of other students) to hit a homerun...much to my dismay (at the time, now to my delight), he struck out every time...0 for 4, with 4 K's and the Flubs ended up losing to the Astros 10-0...That's when I saw the light (or felt the breeze from Sham-me's whiffs) and knew that the White Sox were indeed the best team to root for... :gulp:

Jeez, you'd probably have to ask my dad, because I would honestly have probably just rooted for whatever team he was rooting for had the White Sox never existed. But if I had to pick a team right now, I'd go with the A's. I have to admire a team that can win despite having a low payroll. Besides, I live in the Bay Area, and the A's are the Sox of Northern California.

bc2k
03-05-2002, 10:10 PM
If the sox were contracted today, then I would become a cubs fan due to their location and they play baseball the way is should be played (without a DH). I like the way the A's are run and their young talent reminds me of our now contracted Sox. Since it is a sin to vote for the Cubs, the A's get my vote.

voodoochile
03-05-2002, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
If the sox were contracted today, then I would become a cubs fan due to their location and they play baseball the way is should be played (without a DH). I like the way the A's are run and their young talent reminds me of our now contracted Sox. Since it is a sin to vote for the Cubs, the A's get my vote.

No way could I root for the flubbies if the Sox were contracted. I just can't consider them as an option.

Bmr31
03-05-2002, 10:22 PM
guess who i voted for? :)

hsc1
03-05-2002, 10:26 PM
if the sox didnt exist who would i root for?? tough question since the sox are the reason i have been a baseball addict since the early 1960's.....i guess i would not have gotten into baseball and just watched hockey and football instead....one things for sure you couldnt pay me enough to enter that northside jurassic park or be a fan of anything that roams there......

voodoochile
03-05-2002, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31
guess who i voted for? :)

I was going to crack about the lone vote for the Yankees. I knew it was you...

How did you come to be a Yankee fan anyway, BMR?

Bmr31
03-05-2002, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

I was going to crack about the lone vote for the Yankees. I knew it was you...

How did you come to be a Yankee fan anyway, BMR?

im not a yankee fan, i just respect them. CLR gave me the yank fan title and you may want to look but i thought the yanks had 4 votes......

SoxRulecubsdrool
03-05-2002, 10:44 PM
:chunks
I'm shaking! All this talk of being a cubs fan if they were the only team is making me puke. Come on guys! No way!

voodoochile
03-05-2002, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by SoxRulecubsdrool
I'm shaking! All this talk of being a cubs fan if they were the only team is making me puke. Come on guys! No way!

If they were the only game in town, anyone who grew up here, would probably have become a fan - much the way we are mostly Bulls, Blackhawks and Bears fans (except for traitors like Daver and CLR...)

:)

voodoochile
03-05-2002, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31

im not a yankee fan, i just respect them. CLR gave me the yank fan title and you may want to look but i thought the yanks had 4 votes......

Actually 3, but whose counting... They had one when I first viewed the poll, and I didn't look again before posting. I didn't really think you were a fan, your explanation is about what I expected...

bc2k
03-05-2002, 11:01 PM

No way could I root for the flubbies if the Sox were contracted. I just can't consider them as an option.

I hear you. For the first couple of seasons I would continue my hatred of the Cubs. But when Sammy leaves the team, I would probably devote as much interest and money into the Cubs as I do now with the White Sox. I don't want to sound corny but that is how much I love the sport of baseball and would take advantage of having a baseball team in my city. Although I would always pledge allegiance to the Sox, and never let the Cubs mean more to me than the Sox. Plus I couldn't follow a team in another state because I need to attend live games. Maybe Milwaukee, but I'm a chicagoan and would choose the Cubs over the Brewers. Oh and every time I step foot in Wrigley, I will always don White Sox paraphenalia.

CLR01
03-05-2002, 11:18 PM

Actually 3, but whose counting... They had one when I first viewed the poll, and I didn't look again before posting. I didn't really think you were a fan, your explanation is about what I expected...

Dont let him fool you voodoo, he live and dies for the yankees.

On to the point of the thread. I would probably not follow baseball. I tried watching a few cubs games growing up and i just couldnt do it. They were way to boring.

VeeckAsInWreck
03-05-2002, 11:20 PM
I voted for the Expos! :o:
Yeah, well I'm a sucker for the underdog. I figured I would go with the team no one cares about.
Everyone has a good point about becoming sCrUB fans but, I became a SOX fan simply to spite the rest of my family which is predominantly sCrUB biased. I shudder to think about a world where the only SOX in baseball would be from Boston. :(:

Daver
03-05-2002, 11:23 PM

If they were the only game in town, anyone who grew up here, would probably have become a fan - much the way we are mostly Bulls, Blackhawks and Bears fans (except for traitors like Daver and CLR...)

:) Hey I was a Bears fan,till Mike Mcaskey ruined it for me.

RedPinStripes
03-05-2002, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by daver
Hey I was a Bears fan,till Mike Mcaskey ruined it for me.

I know plenty of Cub fans that were Sox fans until Jerry Riensdorf ruined it for them.

Bmr31
03-05-2002, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

I know plenty of Cub fans that were Sox fans until Jerry Riensdorf ruined it for them.

see i have no respect for this. If youre a fan youre a fan and you dont leave your team for anything. At least REAL fans dont....

moochpuppy
03-06-2002, 07:56 AM
I guess I would be a Twins fan.

One major reason is I've lived in the Twin Cities area now for almost four years and probably know more about them then any other team other than the Sox. They also are alot like the Sox in the way they are trying to build their team. Most of their young players they have developed themselves in their system. These kids are very commited to what they are doing and are a very close knit team. They may be able to give the Sox a run for their money for the division title. They are the opposite of the Sox though in that the Twins have excellent defense and a solid rotation. They could have one of the best top 4 rotation other than the Yankees (Radke, Milton, Mays, Reed) but their offense is a bit lacking. The Twins have not had a 30 HR performance since 1987.

The Twins also have a lousey owner. Carl Pohlad is a cheap, penny pinching monger. He's loaded yet refuses to spend money on payroll. Last year he sold one of his banking interests for just over $1 billion dollars. He also refuses to build a new stadium which is the main reason for the contraction talk.

So, if the Sox can't do it I would be backing the Twins. I would like to see Selig handing the Twins the World Series trophy and see what he would have to say about contracting a World Champion.

(of course this is only if the Sox were not in it......I would never root against the Pale Hose)

foulkesfan11
03-06-2002, 08:19 AM
I could never NOT be Sox fan, however, my second choice has always been the New York Mets. My Uncle is from New York and put that into my head when I was younger. Another reason is that Robin Ventura was there. Also, I feel that the Mets get overshadowed too much by the Spankees! Being a Sox Fan I can relate to the media paying more attention to Yankees over the Mets.

Moses_Scurry
03-06-2002, 12:05 PM
Tim Raines, Andre Dawson (before he joined the Cubs that is), Al Oliver, Tim Wallach, and Gary Carter were some of my favorite players when I was a kid, so I think I would probably be an Expos fan.

Chisox353014
03-06-2002, 12:11 PM
I remember when the Sox were flirting with moving to Florida I thought about this question. My conclusion: if the Sox ever move or fold, the last game they play will be the last MLB game I'll ever watch. Baseball would simply cease to exist in my eyes. No way in hell I would become a Flub fan, especially since they would likely have a lot to do with the Sox leaving (attendance, etc.)
Now if the Sox had never existed, I would probably have been a hometown fan. You know what that means;
:barney&sham
The Horror!

PaleHoseGeorge
03-06-2002, 01:04 PM
I voted for Oakland. They are another underdog team in a "bad neighborhood" that piss-pants fans are afraid to visit.

I could also see myself as an Astros fan. I have no doubt the Astros would be challenging the Sox for the futility record right now, if Charles Comiskey hadn't given us a sixty year head start.

Cheryl
03-06-2002, 04:37 PM

Can't stand the Bears myself. I also don't like basketball in general or hockey, so I really can't count myself a Bulls or Hawks fan.

Mathew
03-06-2002, 05:04 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck
[B]I voted for the Expos! :o:
Yeah, well I'm a sucker for the underdog. I figured I would go with the team no one cares about.

Why wasn't balimore up there for CLR?

I was a 'spo's fan before I was a Sox fan and would probably be one today if there was any way to cheer for the only and best farm team in the major leagues. I may shock you all but the lockout season was the turning point in Major league baseball for the 90's because the Expos and White Sox were flying and I was in total jubilation, and believed the 'spos would have won it all, hence saving baseball in Montreal and Canada minus Toronto the centre of the universe for that matter. Montreal loves a winner but when there is a loser you will see no one. The Canadiens are why the city is so bandwagon oriented they aren't used to losing. If any idiot actually built a ball park that wasn't the worst in baseball (Olympic Statium is), like the old Jerry Park they would sell out every game. Wettland, Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, Jeff Shaw, Urbina to name a few pitchers of late. The Braves would be unheard of if Montreal had any money at all. The lock out is to blame because people would have gone to the trash ass stadium because they would have won!

RKMeibalane
03-06-2002, 05:21 PM
I'd have to go with St. Louis. I just can't see myself rooting for the Cubs, so the the Cards seem like the logical alternative. After all, their fans hate the Cubs, too.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-06-2002, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Mathew
[QUOTE]Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck
[B]I voted for the Expos! :o:
... If any idiot actually built a ball park that wasn't the worst in baseball (Olympic Statium is), like the old Jerry Park they would sell out every game. Wettland, Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, Jeff Shaw, Urbina to name a few pitchers of late.

There is definitely something to be said for the role of ticket scarcity to drive higher attendance. The Cleveland Indians couldn't draw flies (hey wait a minute, flies are the one thing they did draw!) when they played in 70,000-seat Municipal Stadium. As soon as the team improved, timed to coincide with moving into newer, smaller digs, the Tribe became the hottest ticket in town. (Just ask Art Modell).

Who here doubts the Sox wouldn't be better off if the entire upper deck never even existed? Note--I'm only talking about the ski slope seats, not the Diamond Suites.

:reinsy
"Thank God! I was beginning to feel faint!"

Reinsdorf loses 90 percent of his excuse-making ability if the upper deck never existed.

:reinsy
"Hey, now..."

Mathew
03-06-2002, 05:36 PM
You nailed it PHG. Let's ask The Blue Jays 15000-18000 per out of 48000. Seattle's Safco is great! Kingdome never looked better then when it blew up. The Montreal CFL football team played there and got less than the 'spos then moved to the smaller park at the university and have sold out every game for five years! It's not just the stadium that part of the city is totally useless too.