PDA

View Full Version : Cisco Field - Future home of the A's

BanditJimmy
11-15-2006, 02:28 AM
Damn this thing looks good.

Check out the OF stands and landscape with the buildings ... that's a nice future idea for the Sox if they ever plan to build out in the current players parking lot and the same in RF. Buildings out in LF can house future restaurants and bars which can be made open the pulblic year round, especially with an improving neighborhood, IIT, & the Dan Ryan in direct view of that area (sort of like the Streets of Woodfield appearance).

Just my thought.

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/oak/ballpark/new/index.jsp

SABRSox
11-15-2006, 02:54 AM
I love that 2-way scoreboard, that people outside the park can watch as well. What a fantastic idea. Just think if they had that at Comiskey, come playoff time. People would flock to the park, regardless of whether they had a ticket or not, and it would be the biggest White Sox party ever.

MUsoxfan
11-15-2006, 03:18 AM
That place will be incredible

MUsoxfan
11-15-2006, 03:19 AM
People would flock to the park, regardless of whether they had a ticket or not, and it would be the biggest White Sox party ever.

People would come, Ray. People would most definitely come

Red Barchetta
11-15-2006, 07:21 AM
Wow, that is cool! Definitely not the ho-hum feel of the other recent ballparks in Cincinnati, Philly, St. Louis, etc. Might be the best one yet, however considering they are competing with ATT Park in S.F. for market share, it had to be good.

I like how the street goes under the LF stands. Hard to believe they wouldn't make that a walkway instead of allowing auto traffic. I imagine that will change.

Love the courtyard. If only Uncle Jerry had waited on his "We're moving to Florida if you don't build us a new ballpark" campaign a few years after the other ballparks were built we would have known what "not" to do. Also, Daly would have been in office and I'm sure he would have liked the idea of a downtown ballpark that showcased the city.

Good for the A's. I think they got it right!

PKalltheway
11-15-2006, 08:19 AM
That park is gonna be good. I just know it. Even though they're going off of the retro trend, that ballpark is going to have an identity all of its own.
I just have the feeling that it's going to be looked upon VERY favorably. Hell, I may have to make a trip out to Oakland when it opens lol!:redneck

EastCoastSoxFan
11-15-2006, 09:05 AM
But the real question is how many routers -- I mean routes -- there are to get to the park.
Okay, it's early in the morning...

Fenway
11-15-2006, 09:16 AM
I love that 2-way scoreboard, that people outside the park can watch as well. What a fantastic idea. Just think if they had that at Comiskey, come playoff time. People would flock to the park, regardless of whether they had a ticket or not, and it would be the biggest White Sox party ever.

Mets new park seems to have the same 2 way scoreboard. great idea

http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/nym/images/ballpark/citifield/img_citifield2_450x338.jpg

Hitmen77
11-15-2006, 10:03 AM
I wonder if they are still going to be called the "Oakland" A's.

kravdog
11-15-2006, 10:11 AM
My favorite aspect is the "ballpark community" feel of the design. Went to a blackhawks game last year in Coloumbus, OH. Nationwide Arena is one of these community stadiums with cobblestone walkways, restaurants, bars, condos, ect. Makes for a very enjoyable pre/post game experience. Much more so than walking thru rows of cars to get to the gate...

SoxFan78
11-15-2006, 10:15 AM
Great looking field, can't wait to visit it when it's finished!

Huisj
11-15-2006, 10:22 AM
My favorite aspect is the "ballpark community" feel of the design. Went to a blackhawks game last year in Coloumbus, OH. Nationwide Arena is one of these community stadiums with cobblestone walkways, restaurants, bars, condos, ect. Makes for a very enjoyable pre/post game experience. Much more so than walking thru rows of cars to get to the gate...

That does look kind of neat I guess, but you gotta wonder how much of that is actually tied in to the stadium budget and how much is just loosely proposed outside developement. It's hard to imagine all of that being up by the time the stadium opens.

Isn't the new football stadium in Phoenix supposed to have that sort of thing around it too? It's supposed to be like a big super shopping destination with the stadium and hockey arena being the two centerpieces, but I don't think it's anywhere close to being done yet except for stadiums. Maybe someone from that area would know more?

Baby Fisk
11-15-2006, 10:40 AM
WOW!
That design looks amazing. It's an intimate park on the inside, but the reverse scoreboard opens the game up to those on the outside. Great community attraction. Brilliant. This is a perfect fit for the A's, unlike the collossal bore they are building in Queens. This blows the Mets new park away.

SABRSox
11-15-2006, 11:35 AM
Love the courtyard. If only Uncle Jerry had waited on his "We're moving to Florida if you don't build us a new ballpark" campaign a few years after the other ballparks were built we would have known what "not" to do. Also, Daly would have been in office and I'm sure he would have liked the idea of a downtown ballpark that showcased the city.

The Sox and Bridgeport go hand in hand. Moving them out of that neighborhood would be sacreligious.

I think the key, though, would be to completely redevelop the area around the park, and make it a year round entertainment destination for the South Side. Not Wrigleyville, but something for people of all ages. You can have bars and restuarants, but I'd also install movie theaters, shopping, etc.; stuff an entire family could enjoy. I think the problem is they've got too many neighbors around the park that aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Hitmen77
11-15-2006, 12:05 PM
The Sox and Bridgeport go hand in hand. Moving them out of that neighborhood would be sacreligious.
Agreed. :thumbsup:

I think the key, though, would be to completely redevelop the area around the park, and make it a year round entertainment destination for the South Side. Not Wrigleyville, but something for people of all ages. You can have bars and restuarants, but I'd also install movie theaters, shopping, etc.; stuff an entire family could enjoy. I think the problem is they've got too many neighbors around the park that aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Have you not been through the neighborhood around (especially west of) the Cell lately?

Apparently, you did not see this thread from last month that talks about the $600,000 homes (:o: ) going up by the ballpark:
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80330

spiffie
11-15-2006, 12:09 PM

Have you not been through the neighborhood around (especially west of) the Cell lately?

Apparently, you did not see this thread from last month that talks about the $600,000 homes (:o: ) going up by the ballpark:
I suspect what the original post was referring to is that you would have to buy up a lot of land for that sort of commercial development, and the homeowners aren't going to be giving up that now very valuable residential property for such a thing. The area is being developed almost wholly for housing.

SABRSox
11-15-2006, 12:20 PM

I was referring to the land directly around the park, not on the other side of the tracks.

I suppose the Sox could switch to underground parking, and develop the parking lots, but I hate underground parking at sporting events.

ewokpelts
11-15-2006, 02:41 PM
But the real question is how many routers -- I mean routes -- there are to get to the park.
Okay, it's early in the morning...
they promise bart access

DaleJRFan
11-15-2006, 02:46 PM

Post of the year (so far :cool:) and it will be immortalized in my signature! :D:

ewokpelts
11-15-2006, 02:48 PM

I think the key, though, would be to completely redevelop the area around the park, and make it a year round entertainment destination for the South Side. Not Wrigleyville, but something for people of all ages. You can have bars and restuarants, but I'd also install movie theaters, shopping, etc.; stuff an entire family could enjoy. I think the problem is they've got too many neighbors around the park that aren't going anywhere anytime soon.yeah they go hand in hand..they're stuck with each other....
south loop will be overdeveloped by 2010, let alone 2023(when the sox lease ends), and the bridgeport area itself is already overdeveolped...there's nowhere else for the sox to go aside from the burbs
and your idea of "redeveolping" the area? where are you going to put all the million dollar homes that were built in the last 5 years? there's NO ROOM FOR ANY "RETAIL/BAR/LIFESTYLE" DISTRICT. That is, if you dont take away the sox' 7000 parking spaces. do that, and you'll have wrigleyville....bunch of bars and no parking for the game
Gene

p.s. and just say NO to parking garages.....imagine 3000 drunks trying to get out of a garage after a game, and disrupting the other 4000 cars trying to leave...it's bad enough that the rich ****ers get to drive out of the park from 35th street(thus ****ing up foot traffic)...wait till they have thier own garage

MrRoboto83
11-15-2006, 03:12 PM
they promise bart access

That will be the key, the bart system is the only way to travel.

Hangar18
11-16-2006, 09:28 AM

That scoreboard thing is rip-offed from the Padres and Petco.
I think its funny how PETCO PARK has quietly become the new benchmark in ballparks. And for good reason. That park is awesome

Hangar18
11-16-2006, 09:53 AM

This A's ballpark will be one of the better ones in all of baseball. All of those buildings near the New Cisco Field will all be RE-DEVELOPED/REHABBED and the focus is to be on entertainment being immediately within steps of the ballpark, bars/restaurants. Bars and Restaurants encourage foot-traffic, which encourages year-round foot-traffic, which encourages Economic Development. Comiskey Park II and Jerry Reinsdorf's Urban Planning Gaffe/Blunder set the organization back about 3 decades. Seriously.

The SOX winning the WS in 05 has helped immensely, (but look how quickly the honeymoon was over) Every New BallPark that has been built since then, (at least the ballparks that are widely praised) has backhandedly used Comiskey II as the blueprint on WHAT NOT TO DO WHEN BUILDING YOUR NEW BALLPARK, so you guessed it right with your "what not to do" statement.

Can you imagine the architects meetings?
"OK, Comiskey II has a symmetrical look. Lets do the Opposite and put angles here and here"
"Comiskey II has bland concrete, exposed Cinder Blocks and Pre-Cast Concrete Panels, so lets instead use Brick, Mortar"
Comiskey II demolished everything within 2,000 feet, and put parking lots there, so No Retail/Restaurants/Bars can open up, forcing everyone to come inside to eat and drink and discourage Foot Traffic. Instead, Lets Use new parks to Re-develop private enterprise and build restaurants/Bars within 2000 feet to encourage foot-traffic instead"

Baby Fisk
11-16-2006, 10:01 AM
The SOX winning the WS in 05 has helped immensely, (but look how quickly the honeymoon was over)

For you, the honeymoon ended on the morning of October 27, 2005. Grow the **** up already and quit ripping on everything about the Chicago White Sox. You are the ultimate ****ing troll. And that's no conspiracy.

Peace out.

Hitmen77
11-16-2006, 10:08 AM
The SOX winning the WS in 05 has helped immensely, (but look how quickly the honeymoon was over) Every New BallPark that has been built since then, (at least the ballparks that are widely praised) has backhandedly used Comiskey II as the blueprint on WHAT NOT TO DO WHEN BUILDING YOUR NEW BALLPARK, so you guessed it right with your "what not to do" statement.

:?:
How was the honeymoon over? Honestly, the only place I have heard people gripe about the Cell since we won the World Series is at WSI. Elsewhere, all I have heard this year is how people have loved the park after the renovations.

SABRSox
11-16-2006, 11:48 AM
:?:
How was the honeymoon over? Honestly, the only place I have heard people gripe about the Cell since we won the World Series is at WSI. Elsewhere, all I have heard this year is how people have loved the park after the renovations.

I quite enjoy the park now. And I do like the symmetrical dimensions. All those "crazy" designs become bland once everybody does it, and it doesn't really add anything to the game. It only makes sense if there is a space issue.

I would love to see some development of the real estate directly around the park (no condos though, please), but that's not going to detract from my enjoyment of going to a White Sox game.

Red Barchetta
11-16-2006, 11:51 AM
I was referring to the land directly around the park, not on the other side of the tracks.

I suppose the Sox could switch to underground parking, and develop the parking lots, but I hate underground parking at sporting events.

Maybe we could add the double-sided CF scoreboard and those stuck on the Dan Ryan could catch some highlights. :D:

Norberto7
11-16-2006, 02:12 PM

Are not the Sox, technically, located in Armour Square?

chaerulez
11-16-2006, 02:21 PM
I wonder if they are still going to be called the "Oakland" A's.

I think too much has been made out of the moves of the A's and 49ers. The Pistons and Lions (until they moved to Ford Field) don't or didn't play in Detroit. The Giants and Jets technically play in New Jersey. Hell, look at the Angels name. Didn't the Arizona Cardinals still play in Tempe while they were still being called the Phoenix Cardinals? So it's nothing new to just use the name of the greater metropolitian area, and playing in a nearby suburb.