PDA

View Full Version : Joey Gathright?

FedEx227
11-14-2006, 11:49 PM
Thought I could join in the fun of mentioning random players I wouldn't mind on the Sox.

Great speed guy, plays a decent center field, gets on base pretty frequently, doesn't cost much.

Plus hes apart of the Royals so he shouldn't be too hard to pry away as a 4th outfielder or backup

Gathright's Numbers Last Year
Games- 134
AVG- .238
OBP- .321
OPS- .559
SB- 22, only a 59% success rate though

Very young and raw, only been playing baseball for three years now but I do think he would be a nice little project and would be a great pinch-runner/Mackowiak playing-time stopper.

PicktoCLick72
11-14-2006, 11:52 PM
At best a 4th outfielder. I don't see how he is any different than Jerry Owens and do not see him improving the team.

FedEx227
11-14-2006, 11:53 PM
Damn, I completely forgot about Jerry. I was trying to think of our options for backup outfields and completely forgot about him.

oeo
11-15-2006, 12:04 AM
At best a 4th outfielder. I don't see how he is any different than Jerry Owens and do not see him improving the team.

Gathright is a much better CF'er. As much as I hate to say it, I'd rather have Gathright and drop Ozuna. Of course that's wishful thinking, but just my opinion.

DaleJRFan
11-15-2006, 01:03 AM
Gathright is a much better CF'er. As much as I hate to say it, I'd rather have Gathright and drop Ozuna. Of course that's wishful thinking, but just my opinion.

I'll take Ozuna's 400 BA vs Gathwright's 230 any day, regardless of their ages. Ozuna has a nack for getting the big hit, big stolen base... he's a gamer and I'd want him on my team in his exact role.

Beautox
11-15-2006, 01:07 AM
Gathright is a bust, just like Borchard, no thanks.

Ill take my chances with Terreo/Ozuna/Cintron/Mack on our bench.

kraut83
11-15-2006, 07:48 AM
Gathright is an athlete, and not much more. IMO, he would be a downgrade from anybody Ozzie put out there as a 4th OF last year.

oeo
11-15-2006, 09:33 AM
I'll take Ozuna's 400 BA vs Gathwright's 230 any day, regardless of their ages. Ozuna has a nack for getting the big hit, big stolen base... he's a gamer and I'd want him on my team in his exact role.

You mean .328 in only 189 ABs? And .238 in 383? I'd be willing to bet that Ozuna's average would be in the mid-.200's in 383 ABs, as well. He was hitting the ball at an unbelievable pace in the first half, and definately cooled off.

The guy also has a nack for getting a big strikeout. He also only had a 50% SB success rate (6SB, 6CS).

Gathright can play center, Ozuna can hardly play left...I'll take Gathright.

FedEx227
11-15-2006, 10:04 AM
Gathright is a bust, just like Borchard, no thanks.

Kinda hard to call a guy who was discovered jumping over cars and convinced into playing baseball his senior year of high-school a bust.

Mr. White Sox
11-15-2006, 10:10 AM
But, but, GATHRIGHT CAN JUMP OVER A CADILLAC! LENGTHWISE!

There are better 4th OF out there, IMO Gathright is a glorified Willie Harris until he can improve his hitting and bunting.

oeo
11-15-2006, 10:10 AM
Gathright is an athlete, and not much more. IMO, he would be a downgrade from anybody Ozzie put out there as a 4th OF last year.

Gathright can play centerfield better than any of those 4th OF. Why is it that everyone we have is better than what, say, the Royals have. I don't think Kenny will go after Gathright, nor do I probably want him to, but some of you are really underrating his abilities. If he came here, he most likely would not start and would be the 4th OF (that can play center) that we sorely lacked last year.

FedEx227
11-15-2006, 10:12 AM
The only reason I mentioned him is for that exact reason, a 4th OF. By no means should he start in center-field, but I would much rather have a decent fielder and blazer in the outfield then Mackowiak. And people forget hes still extremely young and he's still a project.

Edit: I mis-read his SB% it's actually 71% as opposed to 59.

SABRSox
11-15-2006, 10:30 AM
Gathright's knock has always been plate discipline and knowing when to steal bases. These are not things that are going to work themselves out anytime soon. As much as I love the guy's speed (he's probably the fastest guy in baseball) it won't do us any good if he can't reach base, and then isn't smart enough to know how to steal a base.

Pass.

Cuck_The_Fubs
11-15-2006, 05:08 PM
WE have BA and Ryan Sweeney...Take ur pick

kraut83
11-16-2006, 07:11 AM
Gathright's knock has always been plate discipline and knowing when to steal bases. These are not things that are going to work themselves out anytime soon. As much as I love the guy's speed (he's probably the fastest guy in baseball) it won't do us any good if he can't reach base, and then isn't smart enough to know how to steal a base.

Pass.

That's my thought as well. No doubt the guy can get to any ball hit his way, but IMO, I would take a 4th OF with an average bat and average defense over an automatic out and great range. Aaron Rowand anyone? :rolleyes: