PDA

View Full Version : sammy movie and song

irish rover
03-05-2002, 02:31 PM
as reported on the cub mlb board(highly recommend for laughs)

1."I just heard that Sammy Sosa has signed a deal with Warner Brothers
to I think star in a movie about his life. They tried to find a double but
some exec said they couldn't find anyone who could hit the ball like
Sammy. Just thought some of you would like to know."

2." I don't know how many of you use
audiogalaxy.com to download music, but for those of you who do,
this is a must. Reymond Pozo - Homenaje a Sammy Sosa. I just
typed in "Sammy Sosa" because of my love for the Cubs and when I saw this I had to download it.
Anyways, check it out, it's kinda funny".

Iwritecode
03-05-2002, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by irish rover
as reported on the cub mlb board(highly recommend for laughs)

1."I just heard that Sammy Sosa has signed a deal with Warner Brothers to I think star in a movie about his life. They tried to find a double but some exec said they couldn't find anyone who could hit the ball like Sammy. Just thought some of you would like to know."

I was just looking for a link for that because I heard this story on the Radio this morning. From what I heard, Sammy wants to play himself in a few scenes...

Speaking of Sammy in the movies, did anyone see the movie Hardball with Keanu Reeves? It was horrible. I thought it would be more like a Bad News Bears type movie. It was set in Chicago though and of course the team went to see a major league game and got Sammy to wave at them. The funny thing was they never once showed the name of the stadium or the Cubs symbol...

cheeses_h_rice
03-05-2002, 02:48 PM
Gosh, I hope they film this quickly. I can't wait to see it.

baggio202
03-05-2002, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

I was just looking for a link for that because I heard this story on the Radio this morning. From what I heard, Sammy wants to play himself in a few scenes...

Speaking of Sammy in the movies, did anyone see the movie Hardball with Keanu Reeves? It was horrible. I thought it would be more like a Bad News Bears type movie. It was set in Chicago though and of course the team went to see a major league game and got Sammy to wave at them. The funny thing was they never once showed the name of the stadium or the Cubs symbol...

if they didnt show the cubs symbol or wrigley im guessing they didnt get permission to use it???..i didnt see the movie but i remember when it was being filmed there was a big stink about the language in it...i remember keanu reeves in an interview saying they wanted the kids to talk exactly like they do in the hood...if thats the case maybe the cubs didnt want their image with that...or maybe they saw the movie and saw how bad it was (going by your review) and then decided they wanted no part of it :)

moochpuppy
03-05-2002, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by baggio202

if they didnt show the cubs symbol or wrigley im guessing they didnt get permission to use it???..i didnt see the movie but i remember when it was being filmed there was a big stink about the language in it...i remember keanu reeves in an interview saying they wanted the kids to talk exactly like they do in the hood...if thats the case maybe the cubs didnt want their image with that...or maybe they saw the movie and saw how bad it was (going by your review) and then decided they wanted no part of it :)

Yeah, it was not the type of movie I thought it was going to be at all. Anyway, what can you really say about Keanu Reeves acting........Whoa!

Didn't you guys recognize the stadium they used? It was old Tiger Stadium. That was another thing I didn't like about the movie. Everyone knew these kids were going to a game to see the Cubs and Sammy Sosa and then you get Tiger Stadium?!? Please.......

Konerkofan
03-05-2002, 03:43 PM
Sammy couldn't play in the whole movie probably cause he doesn't know how to speak the English language.

Iwritecode
03-05-2002, 03:55 PM

Well the language was pretty bad. I'm not sure how they managed a PG-13 rating... The funny thing is, the Cubs might as well have given their permission. The movie had Sosa in it and of course anyone who even remotely knows baseball knows that Sosa = Cubs. I don't think the movie being horrible had anything to do with it. They field a team that's just as horrible every year...

One thing that I don't understand, and I'm not that familiar with the geography of Chicago, if these kids were supposedly in the "hood" why didn't they go to Comiskey? Wouldn't that be closer? I knew as soon as he said that they were going to a baseball game where they were going. Earlier in the movie he mentions Sluggers and the fact that it's on Clark and Addison. They also show the Bulls on a TV in the bar because Keanu bet on the game. I guess they figured since they had one team owned by JR in the movie that was good enough...

moochpuppy
03-05-2002, 04:05 PM

The funny thing is, the Cubs might as well have given their permission. The movie had Sosa in it and of course anyone who even remotely knows baseball knows that Sosa = Cubs.

I heard Baylor nixed the idea. He didn't want any more younger "players" associated with the Cubs.

:baylor

"I's got to play's my veteran's over 30. Hey, who took's my pizza?!?"

Cheryl
03-05-2002, 04:15 PM
The book Hardball is based on is about (and by) a guy who coaches Little League at Cabrini Green. The Green is much closer to that other ballpark than to Comiskey.

Never saw the movie, but the book is pretty good.

ScottyTheSoxFan
03-05-2002, 05:01 PM
The movie was about kids in the projects who had it real hard getting jumped, shot at, what not. This "Sammy" movie, i wonder if it would feature the wifebeating sosa. that would be great.

Strike
Out
Sammy
Again

ilovemags30
03-05-2002, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Konerkofan
Sammy couldn't play in the whole movie probably cause he doesn't know how to speak the English language. THAT IS SO TRUE...LMAO!! I COULDENT AGREE WITH U MORE

Daver
03-05-2002, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by ilovemags30
THAT IS SO TRUE...LMAO!! I COULDENT AGREE WITH U MORE

Is there any chance that you could turn off the caps lock on your keyboard?That is annoying as hell.

baggio202
03-05-2002, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
The movie was about kids in the projects who had it real hard getting jumped, shot at, what not. This "Sammy" movie, i wonder if it would feature the wifebeating sosa. that would be great.

Strike
Out
Sammy
Again

that would be funny....you could have a scene where sammy teaches the kids proper tecnique on how to swing a rum bottle..dont was any of the youngsters tearing a labrum :)

rmusacch
03-05-2002, 08:33 PM

I kinda liked the movie. Wasn't the game supposed to be a Cubs - Sox game? IIRC, the game was supposed to be at Comiskey. It was indeed Tigers Stadium.

CubKilla
03-05-2002, 09:42 PM

that would be funny....you could have a scene where sammy teaches the kids proper tecnique on how to swing a rum bottle..dont was any of the youngsters tearing a labrum :)

I'm sure Shammy will have the fluffmeister, Jay Fairyoti, pen the script so Soso's PR guy doesn't have to review the numerous pages of Fairyoti's idol worshipping. Thus, no wifebeating. Probably won't show Shammy pilfering his Dominican charitable organization's money chest either. And how funny would it be if Shammy starred in the entire movie and everytime he spoke they'd subtitle his english words in english? That way, we'd know what he is saying. And who will play the pre-roid Shammy with the Mr. T starter kit around his neck? And will they delve into Soso's wife trying to kill herself..... accidentally of course. And what about losing $20,000?

foulkesfan11
03-05-2002, 10:51 PM
All Sammy knows how do do is kiss his fingers, & stutter step while running aroung the bases. He is a flub! I don't know why anyone would want to do a movie about his sorry a$$!

Iwritecode
03-06-2002, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Cheryl
The book Hardball is based on is about (and by) a guy who coaches Little League at Cabrini Green. The Green is much closer to that other ballpark than to Comiskey.

Never saw the movie, but the book is pretty good.

Most of the time a book is better than the movie version. I'm assuming they went into a little more detail about Keanu's character in the book. In the movie I felt like they just kinda dropped you into the middle of the story. They never explain why he owes people so much money or where he got $12,000 to bet on a basketball game. They never show him actually coaching the team at all. They just all of a sudden go from not being able to catch the ball to playing in the championship game. They never show him helping the kids with their school work like he said he would... Just a bad movie...