PDA

View Full Version : Juan Pierre Question?

gr8mexico
11-14-2006, 02:00 PM
Some guys in here like Juan Pierre some others dont. What's the problem with Juan Pierre? The guy plays hard has experience in the post season and has a good glove. I think Juan is a way better option then Podsednik.

spiffie
11-14-2006, 02:03 PM
Some guys in here like Juan Pierre some others dont. What's the problem with Juan Pierre? The guy plays hard has experience in the post season and has a good glove. I think Juan is a way better option then Podsednik.
Juan is Scott Podsednik with a bit more speed. They both suck at getting on-base, they are both below-average defensively, they both have no power to compensate for their inability to get on base. The Sox can do better at leadoff than a guy who can barely get on 1/3 of the time.

Mr.1Dog
11-14-2006, 02:05 PM
Don't forget Pierre's 4th grade throwing arm.

chisoxmike
11-14-2006, 02:10 PM
I think Juan is a way better option then Podsednik.

No, he's not. He's an automatic out in the lineup. Someone on these here fine boards showed that while Pierre had 200+ hits this season, they came in about 700 at bats. :o:

I'd rather deal with Peter Pan than have Pierre on the south side. Keep him away.

Ol' No. 2
11-14-2006, 02:17 PM
No, he's not. He's an automatic out in the lineup. Someone on these here fine boards showed that while Pierre had 200+ hits this season, they came in about 700 at bats. :o:

I'd rather deal with Peter Pan than have Pierre on the south side. Keep him away.Not to mention the fact he needs a relay to get the ball to second base. Some team will badly overpay for him. I'd rather it not be us.

mjmcend
11-14-2006, 02:20 PM
He is not worse that Pods. However he will cost about 3 times as much. Only an idiot would pay triple the price for a lateral move. Thankfully, Kenny is not an idiot.

Sox Fan 35
11-14-2006, 02:29 PM

I don't have a problem with Pierre. I just don't see the point in spending more money on him when we already have Podsednik.

DaleJRFan
11-14-2006, 03:16 PM
I find it hard to believe that WSI posters are the only Sox-related baseball minds who can't justify "upgrading" LF with Pierre. KW has to know that a guy who manages 500 outs a year, 65% SB success rate while speed being the plus side of his game, noodle arm with poor outfield ground skills, etc IS NOT worth a 3 year, 15M+ contract when a comparible player is already on the roster.

Besides, why would the Sox be adding payroll with Pierre while they seemingly need to dump a starting pitcher to make up for arbitration raises for other players?? Unless the Sox can substantially upgrade LF (or CF... whoever ends up in the leadoff spot) ie: Carl Crawford, I doubt Podsednik will play for another team next season.

jenn2080
11-15-2006, 07:30 AM
Don't forget Pierre's 4th grade throwing arm.

And that he looks like a 4th grader in that 2 sizes to big uniform.

itsnotrequired
11-15-2006, 07:47 AM

He also had the most outs of any player last season. You got to love massive AB totals and all their wacky consequences.:redneck

spiffie
11-15-2006, 11:02 AM
Here's something absolutely scary if even remotely true. According to ESPN, the numbers being thrown around for Pierre in terms of likely contract are in the area of 3/30. This tells me two things:

1. With all the new revenues baseball is getting, it might be time to start adjusting upwards what we expect players to get, and moving up our definition of "overpaid" by a few million a year.

2. Juan Pierre will be overpaid.