PDA

View Full Version : Arizona company threatens to throw Ted Williams' head away

Fenway
11-14-2006, 12:18 PM
WEEI just talked to an executive of a company in Scottsdale, Arizona where Ted Williams head is currently frozen. The company Alcor says they haven't been paid for either Ted or his son John Henry and they can no longer afford to continue freezing the bodies.

This has got to end. Ted Williams deserves far better than this.

Red Barchetta
11-14-2006, 12:39 PM
E-Bay? :o:

Fenway
11-14-2006, 12:45 PM
E-Bay? :o:

The way this story has gone down it wouldn't shock me.

FanofBill
11-14-2006, 01:13 PM
WEEI just talked to an executive of a company in Scottsdale, Arizona where Ted Williams head is currently frozen. The company Alcor says they haven't been paid for either Ted or his son John Henry and they can no longer afford to continue freezing the bodies.

Did Ted Williams wanted the family to preserve him this way or did the family? Either way, it's so vain.

DiGiSyKo
11-14-2006, 02:38 PM
Did Ted Williams wanted the family to preserve him this way or did the family? Either way, it's so vain.

This article has an explanation...
http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0219/1511374.html

Wikipedia (Alcor Controversy)...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Henry_Williams_%28baseball%29

Fenway
11-14-2006, 02:40 PM

Nobody really knows what Ted wanted. His son John Henry produced some questionable documents indicating Ted was in favor. The son appeared to break Florida law by flying Ted's body to Arizona to be frozen before a death certificate could be issued.

The thought by many at the time was John Henry was trying to figure out a way to sell Ted's DNA. :o:

SI did a story on this 3 years ago
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/news/2003/08/12/williams_si/

Things became compounded when John Henry Williams died.

http://tedwilliams.com/images/new_front_updated.jpg

AZChiSoxFan
11-14-2006, 02:50 PM
The column that Rick Riley from SI wrote on this a few years back was absolutely hilarious.

ondafarm
11-14-2006, 04:01 PM
To be fair, the company will not throw his head away. They will turn it over to living relatives or the appropriate authorities for burial.

Red Barchetta
11-15-2006, 07:11 AM
To be fair, the company will not throw his head away. They will turn it over to living relatives or the appropriate authorities for burial.

Just in time for the holidays....This stuff is just way to weird. If it wouldn't be about Ted Williams, it would be on Jerry Springer.

Madvora
11-15-2006, 08:17 AM
I don't get it. What's the purpose of seperating the head from the body?

Oblong
11-15-2006, 08:49 AM
Ted Williams was the real life John Wayne.

itsnotrequired
11-15-2006, 08:51 AM

Cameos in cartoons.

http://www.ertom.com.pl/futurama/headmuseum/th_2acv08_george_foreman.jpg

voodoochile
11-15-2006, 10:18 AM

Well, the argument the company makes is that in the future, we will be able to fix any diseases, so if you freeze the whole body, you can "wake the person up" and cure the disease. In the case of a head only, they say the brain could be removed and installed in a new body.

Now eventually that might actually be the case, but we are talking a LONG time in the future.

Basically it's a scam to get rich people scared of dying to give them lots and lots of money.

Madvora
11-15-2006, 12:41 PM
Well, the argument the company makes is that in the future, we will be able to fix any diseases, so if you freeze the whole body, you can "wake the person up" and cure the disease. In the case of a head only, they say the brain could be removed and installed in a new body.

Now eventually that might actually be the case, but we are talking a LONG time in the future.

Basically it's a scam to get rich people scared of dying to give them lots and lots of money.
Why wouldn't you want your head back on your own body though?

Ol' No. 2
11-15-2006, 01:21 PM
Why wouldn't you want your head back on your own body though?It depends on the choices.:tongue:

Grzegorz
11-15-2006, 09:19 PM

He sure does. He was a jerk in real life to sportswriters, but that is a plus to me.

As was posted, this guy was an American hero in the air and on the field.

Let the man rest in piece.

Railsplitter
11-17-2006, 11:59 AM
I heard that Williams had wanted to be cremated and the ashes spread of the Florida Keys (his favorite fishing waters)

Oblong
11-17-2006, 12:24 PM
He sure does. He was a jerk in real life to sportswriters, but that is a plus to me.

As was posted, this guy was an American hero in the air and on the field.

Isn't it funny. When they played, Williams was a jerk to the media and Joe D. was very friendly. Then in retirement Joe D. was the surly one and Ted was always giving interviews and talking with people.

drewcifer
11-17-2006, 12:58 PM

"piece" :rolleyes:

You mean, like 1?

hi im skot
11-17-2006, 01:04 PM
Best thread title ever.

Fenway
11-17-2006, 01:12 PM
I heard that Williams had wanted to be cremated and the ashes spread of the Florida Keys (his favorite fishing waters)

That is what he told Dom DiMaggio a few months before he died.

The reason Williams hated sportswriters stems from his relationship with one. Dave Egan in the old Boston Record wrote some very nasty things about Ted. I went down to the library once and read some of Egan's work. He was not a nice man.

chaerulez
11-17-2006, 03:17 PM
Sucks that a person like Ted Williams ended up having these shady people in his family.

SOXintheBURGH
11-17-2006, 07:02 PM
I've told my fiance and immediate family that if I die I want to be frozen, and to change my pants as fashion dictates.

A. Cavatica
11-17-2006, 07:29 PM
"piece" :rolleyes:

You mean, like 1?

At least let him rest in pieces. :D:

Timmy D's
11-18-2006, 12:06 AM
If it does go to Ebay, I'll bet anything Hawk will bid on it.
"Ted Williams head has got my money".:o:

voodoochile
11-18-2006, 01:20 AM
Why wouldn't you want your head back on your own body though?

You would, but freezing the whole body indefinitely costs more than just freezing the head, so some people opt for just the head because that's all they can afford.

Cuck_The_Fubs
11-18-2006, 01:38 PM
It depends on the choices.:tongue:

Im in!! I want my head to be attached with Jim Thomes body, with pablo Ozuna's leg, oh and can i get a side of Jose Conseco's arm? Thanks :?:

roylestillman
11-18-2006, 10:28 PM
Best thread title ever.

Absolutely. Couldn't pass this one up.

voodoochile
11-18-2006, 11:59 PM
Best thread title ever.

Absolutely. Couldn't pass this one up.

The fact that it is 100% true only proving how absurd the times we live in are...

Edit: And the fact that I didn't even blink when reading the title proving something equally profound I am sure...

RadioheadRocks
11-19-2006, 12:38 AM

Not sure, but wasn't there something like that on a Golden Girls episode once?

BRDSR
11-19-2006, 01:28 AM

Absolutely. I like to read biographies and a couple summers ago read the most recent Ted Williams' biography. My fiancee and I have decided that our first son will be named Theodore. The public reason will be that my grandfather's name was Theodore, and I truly want to honor my father's father with my son. However, privately, I will know that my son also shares the name of the greatest left-handed hitter ever to play the game.

There aren't a lot of news articles that really make my blood boil, but this is on the short list.

Viva Medias B's
11-20-2006, 12:09 AM
Not sure, but wasn't there something like that on a Golden Girls episode once?

There's got to be a Bea Arthur joke there somewhere.