PDA

View Full Version : Vazquez and Mets Talk

chitown13
11-14-2006, 12:03 AM
Just saw this on Rotoworld. First time I heard this and didn't see it posted. Any help to get Crawford on this team is fine by me.

Sources told the Chicago Tribune's Phil Rogerts that there have been preliminary talks between the White Sox and Mets about a Javier Vazquez deal.
Vazquez is owed $12.5 million next year and is then arbitration eligible in 2008, as he won't be eligible to file for free agency because of his trade demand a year ago. Among the Mets being mentioned are Aaron Heilman, Mike Pelfrey and Philip Humber. If the White Sox acquired Heilman, they could then perhaps use him in an effort to get the outfielder they want. Potential targets would include Carl Crawford, Coco Crisp and Aaron Heilman.

FedEx227
11-14-2006, 12:13 AM
Wait so we're getting Heilman the pitcher and moving him to OF and trading him for himself??!

Please make it happy Kenny. I think Vazquez has good stuff, but he's just too much of a headcase and way too inconsistent.

chitown13
11-14-2006, 12:18 AM
Thats Awesome, Didn't even notice that. I did however, notice the misspelling of Rogers. Or should I say Rogerts.

You have to love Rotoworld

FedEx227
11-14-2006, 12:20 AM
Why don't we just skip all the hassle and get Brooks Kieschnick and Rick Ankiel instead of trying to move Heilman.

A. Cavatica
11-14-2006, 12:27 AM
We wouldn't have to trade much to get Crisp. I bet Podsednik + Cotts would get it done.

BanditJimmy
11-14-2006, 12:28 AM
I guess any trade for one of our starters will only be for minor league prospects who would then be turned over to say a TB for a guy like Carl Crawford.

I am all for it.

PicktoCLick72
11-14-2006, 12:28 AM
Can Heilman leadoff?

FedEx227
11-14-2006, 12:33 AM
Pierre in LF, Rowand in CF, Heilman in RF. I like it!

BanditJimmy
11-14-2006, 12:37 AM
Pierre in LF, Rowand in CF, Heilman in RF. I like it!

And season ticket base back down to 8K...oh wait, you said Rowand .... never mind, season ticket base would stay 22K+

SABRSox
11-14-2006, 12:57 AM
Vazquez for Pelfrey. A rotation with Buerhle, McCarthy, Garland, Contreras, and Pelfrey, to quote Borat, "is nice!"

KRS1
11-14-2006, 01:02 AM
Id take Pelfrey straight up for Vazquez yesterday. I find it unlikely the Mets do that deal after the Kazmir deal, however Javi is much better than Victor Zambrano ever was. One would have to think we'd need to at least send them Broadway too, which Id also be fine with. Prove me wrong Kenny and get him.

FedEx227
11-14-2006, 01:16 AM
Id take Pelfrey straight up for Vazquez yesterday. I find it unlikely the Mets do that deal after the Kazmir deal, however Javi is much better than Victor Zambrano ever was. One would have to think we'd need to at least send them Broadway too, which Id also be fine with. Prove me wrong Kenny and get him.

Yes, thats why I don't think that's very realistic. I love it, but Omar knows he messed up majorly on the Kazmir deal he's not going to do the same again. But hey, for us I hope he does!

KRS1
11-14-2006, 01:29 AM
Yes, thats why I don't think that's very realistic. I love it, but Omar knows he messed up majorly on the Kazmir deal he's not going to do the same again. But hey, for us I hope he does!

Minaya wasnt the one who made that deal, Im pretty sure it was Duquette.

FedEx227
11-14-2006, 01:38 AM
Minaya wasnt the one who made that deal, Im pretty sure it was Duquette.

My bad, I looked it up you were correct.

MUsoxfan
11-14-2006, 01:44 AM
Just saw this on Rotoworld. First time I heard this and didn't see it posted. Any help to get Crawford on this team is fine by me.

Sources told the Chicago Tribune's Phil Rogerts that there have been preliminary talks between the White Sox and Mets about a Javier Vazquez deal.
Vazquez is owed $12.5 million next year and is then arbitration eligible in 2008, as he won't be eligible to file for free agency because of his trade demand a year ago. Among the Mets being mentioned are Aaron Heilman, Mike Pelfrey and Philip Humber. If the White Sox acquired Heilman, they could then perhaps use him in an effort to get the outfielder they want. Potential targets would include Carl Crawford, Coco Crisp and Aaron Heilman.

I'd LOVE Heilman on the Southside. However, I find it most intriguing that Heilman is so valuable that he's trade-bait for himself:redneck

chisoxmike
11-14-2006, 09:30 AM
As long as Coco stays away from the south side, I'm fine.

oeo
11-14-2006, 09:35 AM
As long as Coco stays away from the south side, I'm fine.

Why? :?:

He had an injury-plagued year; he's exactly the type of high-risk, high-reward guy that Kenny goes after. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Coco here next year. He's a very good LEFT FIELDER (where he's supposed to play...I'm looking at you Red Sox), and if he's healthy, he gets on base. IMO, he's a much better option than Pods, Pierre, or Roberts.

Kenny could probably fleece them, as well, since Epstein is an idiot.

Lip Man 1
11-14-2006, 09:50 AM
Folks:

There was a comment from Kenny in the newspapers today that bears watching. Williams was quoted as saying that he has to be careful to not break what isn't broken (i.e. perhaps screw up a club that has won a World Series title and back to back 90 or more win seasons). The quote also talks about the possibility of the Sox not trading ANY of the starting pitchers.

It could all be smoke and mirrors and I think the odds are they will deal a starter but it's not a 'guarantee' that they will.

Ppersonally with pitching at a premium and injuries always a possibility I'd love for the Sox to keep all their starters and get what they need by dealing other pieces at the major and minor league levels or via free agency.

Lip

DaleJRFan
11-14-2006, 09:51 AM
Coco Crisp is young, a good fielder, runs well, steals bases, has a bit of pop, has a decent contract and is a switch hitter. Crisp is a way better option than Roberts, Pierre or Podsednik. If the price is right, do it Kenny!

Plus, Bafia will be super excited!!!!!! YEY!!!!!!!! :cool:

BigPapaPump
11-14-2006, 10:29 AM
Coco Crisp is young, a good fielder, runs well, steals bases, has a bit of pop, has a decent contract and is a switch hitter. Crisp is a way better option than Roberts, Pierre or Podsednik. If the price is right, do it Kenny!

Not to mention some snap and crakle!:tongue:

SABRSox
11-14-2006, 10:35 AM

Crisp is due $3.5 mil in '07, $4.75 mil in '08, $5.75 mil in '09, and has a club option for $8 mil in '10. We'd have to trade for him, and the last asking price was, I believe, Mark Buerhle. I don't think so.

thedudeabides
11-14-2006, 10:39 AM
Crisp is due $3.5 mil in '07, $4.75 mil in '08, $5.75 mil in '09, and has a club option for $8 mil in '10. We'd have to trade for him, and the last asking price was, I believe, Mark Buerhle. I don't think so.

The Red Sox are rumored to be after JD Drew. If that's true, I think Crisp or Willie Moe Pena would be available at a decent price. I don't want anything to do with WMP, but I wouldn't mind Crisp. I think he would have a nice bounce back season and is familiar with the division. I really have no idea what the asking price would be.

palehozenychicty
11-14-2006, 11:44 AM

He had an injury-plagued year; he's exactly the type of high-risk, high-reward guy that Kenny goes after. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Coco here next year. He's a very good LEFT FIELDER (where he's supposed to play...I'm looking at you Red Sox), and if he's healthy, he gets on base. IMO, he's a much better option than Pods, Pierre, or Roberts.

If the Sawx are after Drew, Crisp will be available cheaply and will pay dividends for left field. Book it. Last year was fluky for him.

Jjav829
11-14-2006, 11:57 AM
I wouldn't mind adding Crisp, but I don't really see him as a leadoff hitter. He's more of a #2 hitter IMO.

Back to the topic of this thread, Ken Rosenthal adds a bit more to the subject:

The White Sox are fielding calls on each of their five veteran starters, and several rival executives believe that GM Ken Williams could move quickly on a trade.
The Rangers are one potential trade partner; the Sox probably would want one of the Rangers' pitching prospects and another young player in return.

I find that line in bold to be quite interesting. I kind of figured that Kenny would take his time, letting the big free agent starters sign first and using the Winter Meetings to shop around his starters. I do remember someone recently commenting that these GM Meetings could be busier than ever since they come at a time where free agents are already able to sign with other teams.

Link (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6165654)

CashMan
11-14-2006, 12:14 PM
I wouldn't mind adding Crisp, but I don't really see him as a leadoff hitter. He's more of a #2 hitter IMO.

Back to the topic of this thread, Ken Rosenthal adds a bit more to the subject:

I find that line in bold to be quite interesting. I kind of figured that Kenny would take his time, letting the big free agent starters sign first and using the Winter Meetings to shop around his starters. I do remember someone recently commenting that these GM Meetings could be busier than ever since they come at a time where free agents are already able to sign with other teams.

Link (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6165654)

This is from rotoworld:
he Rangers could be interested in acquiring Brian Anderson from the White Sox if they fail to re-sign Gary Matthews Jr.
The Marlins and Rockies are among the other teams that should be interested in Anderson. He might be had rather inexpensively since the White Sox appear to be down on him. In return for Anderson, Phil Rogers believes the White Sox have interest in Rangers prospect Nick Masset, a 24-year-old right-hander who could prove useful as a reliever.

So if the Rangers make a trade with the Sox, Brian might be in it as well.

I still dont get why BA has fell out of favor, was it his .300 avg after the all-star break?

MarySwiss
11-14-2006, 12:15 PM

I couldn't stand the guy when he was with the Tribe, but I think he might work out quite well in a Sox uni. Plus it would probably about kill my Tribe fan friend. :tongue:

Furthermore, I have never heard any "clubhouse cancer" talk about him. Has anyone else?

Jjav829
11-14-2006, 12:16 PM
This is from rotoworld:
he Rangers could be interested in acquiring Brian Anderson from the White Sox if they fail to re-sign Gary Matthews Jr.
The Marlins and Rockies are among the other teams that should be interested in Anderson. He might be had rather inexpensively since the White Sox appear to be down on him. In return for Anderson, Phil Rogers believes the White Sox have interest in Rangers prospect Nick Masset, a 24-year-old right-hander who could prove useful as a reliever.

I still dont get why BA has fell out of favor, was it his .300 avg after the all-star break?

Anderson had a .257 avg after the all-star break.

oeo
11-14-2006, 12:32 PM
This is from rotoworld:

I've got a feeling that there are going to be a lot more changes to the team than I first anticipated.

chaerulez
11-14-2006, 12:35 PM
The idiotic Boston media has decreased Crisp's value just like they did the Renteria the year before. Crisp is a very good player and hopefully we can send an overrated prospect like the Braves did with Marte for Renteria to get Crisp.

Sox Fan 35
11-14-2006, 02:33 PM

With very few HRs, RBIs, or SBs.

Palehose13
11-14-2006, 02:49 PM

I guess it seemed like .300 to the FOBA's after his below mendoza line pre-All Star performance.

gobears1987
11-14-2006, 02:58 PM
I hope we dump Vaz the spaz. (sorry, but I had to come up with something like "Viz the fizz")

Freddy regained my confidence towards the end of the season when he began using the splitter.

CWSpalehoseCWS
11-14-2006, 03:22 PM
I hope we dump Vaz the spaz. (sorry, but I had to come up with something like "Viz the fizz")

Freddy regained my confidence towards the end of the season when he began using the splitter.

But something tells me that if Vazquez is traded, then Buehle or Garcia will be traded too. It's going to be hard to hang on to both of them when their FA's next year.

gobears1987
11-14-2006, 04:19 PM
But something tells me that if Vazquez is traded, then Buehle or Garcia will be traded too. It's going to be hard to hang on to both of them when their FA's next year.
Just give Buehrle a long term deal now. His value is low so now is the time to do it. Last year was a statistical blip. Just like 2003 was also one for him.