PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent thoughts

ajismyhero
11-13-2006, 04:19 PM
So, i was just on mlb.com looking at the list of free agents and wanted mention 2 names to see what other people thought.

1. Nomar Garciaparra - there's a lot of talk about finding a better SS and Nomar put up some pretty good number against lefties last year.

2. Doug Mirabelli is a free agent and if we're planning on using Haegar as mid-relief it might be good to have a back up catcher who can catch a knuckle-baller.

Thoughts?

mjmcend
11-13-2006, 04:22 PM
So, i was just on mlb.com looking at the list of free agents and wanted mention 2 names to see what other people thought.

1. Nomar Garciaparra - there's a lot of talk about finding a better SS and Nomar put up some pretty good number against lefties last year.

2. Doug Mirabelli is a free agent and if we're planning on using Haegar as mid-relief it might be good to have a back up catcher who can catch a knuckle-baller.

Thoughts?

1. Nomar played 1st last year and will never play SS again.

2. No. Unless we sign him and get the Red Sox to trade us a good prospect for him in April.

chisoxmike
11-13-2006, 04:27 PM

Thoughts?

Eeeeehhh, nah.

southside rocks
11-13-2006, 04:40 PM

Thoughts?

My thoughts about Nomar are best expressed in this work of near-genius from The Dugout:
http://www.progressiveboink.com/dugout/archive/nick82.htm

CashMan
11-13-2006, 04:49 PM

Thoughts?

1. He is hurt every year.
2. Not unless you wanna pay like 5mill for a backup catcher.

Cuck_The_Fubs
11-13-2006, 06:03 PM
If we were going to get N-Gar, great, whatever. Let him get hurt, see what i care. There is better options KW can make, and I have faith in KW

kittle42
11-13-2006, 06:07 PM
If we were going to get N-Gar, great, whatever. Let him get hurt, see what i care. There is better options KW can make, and I have faith in KW

:o:

Ol' No. 2
11-13-2006, 06:24 PM
If we were going to get N-Gar, great, whatever. Let him get hurt, see what i care. There is better options KW can make, and I have faith in KWGaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! [runs screaming from the room]

southside rocks
11-13-2006, 08:31 PM
Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! [runs screaming from the room]

I'm right behind you. :?:

soxfan13
11-13-2006, 08:45 PM

Thoughts?

If he could stay healthy Nomar is as good a utility player that you will find. The huge question is can he stay healthy. Now Mirabelli would be good if Haegar was definately going to start, but since Haegar most likely is gonna be used in relief, I think we would be better off using the money else where.:smile:

jongarlandlover
11-13-2006, 09:29 PM

oh goodness.

Domeshot17
11-13-2006, 10:38 PM
(1) You are right, We need a new SS, ours is terrible. However, Nomar can no longer be considered a SS. If we needed a DH, I would say hell yah, but we don't.

(2) I like Mirabelli because he knows the game. That being said, Boston will throw a lot of money at him. I really think Chris Stewart deserves a shot, anyone but Sandy please. I'll even take Widger back over Sandy

Scottiehaswheels
11-18-2006, 03:11 AM
Just curious what people's thoughts might be on signing Gregg Zaun for like 2 years as backup catcher and, I'm gonna catch hell for this but, Latroy Hawkins(Coop doesn't have enough projects) to a 2 year deal?

MUsoxfan
11-18-2006, 03:17 AM
Just curious what people's thoughts might be on signing Gregg Zaun for like 2 years as backup catcher and, I'm gonna catch hell for this but, Latroy Hawkins(Coop doesn't have enough projects) to a 2 year deal?

I'd actually be in favor of signing LaTroy. I don't know why, but I think he'd have success on the Southside. Zaun would be a tremendous backup, however I'm not sure how willing he'd be to come in and catch every 5th day. He's been the main guy in Toronto for a few years

Scottiehaswheels
11-18-2006, 03:22 AM
I'd actually be in favor of signing LaTroy. I don't know why, but I think he'd have success on the Southside. Zaun would be a tremendous backup, however I'm not sure how willing he'd be to come in and catch every 5th day. He's been the main guy in Toronto for a few years
Wasn't Zaun just a back up to Molina this past year? and A.J. could use someone of decent quality to back him up so he doesn't end up catching 130 games a year.. I'd rather see him in 120 range.. Also Zaun is a switch hitter which would be nice to have instead of just seeing a guy face exclusively lefties based on matchups.. I don't know if he has worked with knucklers for guys like Haegar though..

MUsoxfan
11-18-2006, 03:24 AM
Wasn't Zaun just a back up to Molina this past year?

I guess he was to an extent...

2004: 104 games
2005: 133 games
2006: 99 games

I'd love him at the right price

Scottiehaswheels
11-18-2006, 03:37 AM
Just took a look at his pay from last year... 1 mil.. possibly throw a 2 year/3.5mil at him and see what shakes loose? Alomar would probably run us about 1mil for next year I'm sure and I'd rather have a guy 10 years younger lol
also came across this article... seems to be someone of value in the clubhouse as well
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2526667

Scottiehaswheels
11-18-2006, 03:40 AM
also for the record Hawkins made 4.4mil last year... prolly not worth that now so show him a 3/8 or something similar and if nothing happens no biggie