PDA

View Full Version : GM Meetings

JohnTucker0814
11-13-2006, 12:02 PM
The GM Meetings start today and I wondered if there have been any major deals done on the 1st couple of days? I'd imagine they are all feeling each other out to see what can and can't be done.

I fully expect to see Michael Young to the Sox for either Garcia or Vazquez and a mid-level minor league prospect. The Rangers are hitting rich and need a quality arm. Here is my guess... Young and low A pitching prospect for Garcia, mid level prospect, low A hitting prospect...

I know you guys will be all over me for a lot of reasons but here is what I would do this offseason:

1. Re-sign Podsednek (He stole 70 bases the last two years... he seems to have good year, bad year, good year... he had a bad year last year... maybe he is going to have another good year.)
2. Trade for Michael Young
3. Help the Middle Relief out.

Here is our roster:

1. Podsednek (LF)
2. Young (SS)
3. Dye (RF)
4. Thome (DH)
5. Konerko (1b)
6. Pierzynski (C)
7. Crede (3b)
8. Iguchi (2b)
9. Anderson (CF)
bench. Mackowiac
bench. Cintron
bench. Ozuna
bench. Stewart
bench. Owens

1. Contreras RHP
2. Buehrle LHP
3. Garland RHP
4. Vazquez RHP
5. McCarthy RHP
long - Tracey
middle - Free Agent
middle - Free Agent
set-up - Thornton
set-up - MacDougal
closer - Jenks

We Lose: Garcia, Cotts, Uribe
We Gain: Young, 2 FA Relief

No need to remake this whole team!

chisoxmike
11-13-2006, 12:11 PM
I'd rather trade Vazquez for Young, it's going to be tough to get him, but I think it would be worth it. Young is the ONLY player I would accept over Uribe at SS. If the Sox can't get Young, keep Juan.

I really, really hope KW doesn't fall for Pierre (overrated), Roberts (old), Figgins (meh), Matthews Jr. (career year), Vizquel (really old), and some of the other crap I've been seeing in the papers. If they're going to "go for it" they might as well try and get players that will benefit the team like a Michael Young or Carl Crawford.

crazyozzie02
11-13-2006, 12:11 PM
1. Re-sign Podsednek (He stole 70 bases the last two years... he seems to have good year, bad year, good year... he had a bad year last year... maybe he is going to have another good year.)

I believe that he has had 99 stolen bases the last two years

crazyozzie02
11-13-2006, 12:13 PM
I'd rather trade Vazquez for Young, it's going to be tough to get him, but I think it would be worth it. Young is the ONLY player I would accept over Uribe at SS. If the Sox can't get Young, keep Juan.

I really, really hope KW doesn't fall for Pierre (overrated), Roberts (old), Figgins (meh), Matthews Jr. (career year), Vizquel (really old), and some of the other crap I've been seeing in the papers. If they're going to "go for it" they might as well try and get players that will benefit the team like a Michael Young or Carl Crawford.

I think that KW is too smart to fall for all those guys. I think that he might be setting up a smoke screen for something else that hes going to do or go after

chisoxmike
11-13-2006, 12:22 PM
But, before the lineup gets a tune up, the ****ty bullpen needs to be improved.

BanditJimmy
11-13-2006, 12:27 PM
Young is the ONLY player I would accept over Uribe at SS. If the Sox can't get Young, keep Juan.

As somone said on a different thread, the man love for Uribe is starting to get scarry. Even more than it was for Rowand.

SSs I would take over Uribe in a heartbeat (just to name a few):

A-Rod
Tejada
Jeter
C. Guillen
Rollins
Young
Furcal
Reyes
Vizquel (even on a wheelchair)

Palehose13
11-13-2006, 12:29 PM
But, before the lineup gets a tune up, the ****ty bullpen needs to be improved.

Not necessarily. I don't think it matters which happens first and Sox brass has made it very clear that the bullpen will be addressed this offseason.

chisoxmike
11-13-2006, 12:34 PM
As somone said on a different thread, the man love for Uribe is starting to get scarry. Even more than it was for Rowand.

SSs I would take over Uribe in a heartbeat (just to name a few):

A-Rod
Tejada
Jeter
C. Guillen
Rollins
Young
Furcal
Reyes
Vizquel (even on a wheelchair)

Vizquel, according to reports, is the only player you have listed that is a realistic option coming to the South Side. If that's the case, keep Juan.

crazyozzie02
11-13-2006, 01:28 PM
Vizquel, according to reports, is the only player you have listed that is a realistic option coming to the South Side. If that's the case, keep Juan.

But what happened to the constant rumors that AROD will be playing short stop next year. I heard that ozzie would also give him his #13 as a bonus.

JohnTucker0814
11-13-2006, 01:32 PM

I think I'd rather keep Vazquez and trade Garcia... Garcia has said gets up for big games... when you play 162 games and roughly 32 starts a year there are not that many "big games" until you reach the playoffs. I'd rather have Garcia than Vasquez in the playoffs, but I feel like we'd have a better shot at the playoffs with Vasquez... we need guys that are willing to give it all everytime they are out there, especially someone who only contributes 32 out of 162 games!

chisoxmike
11-13-2006, 01:34 PM
I think I'd rather keep Vazquez and trade Garcia... Garcia has said gets up for big games... when you play 162 games and roughly 32 starts a year there are not that many "big games" until you reach the playoffs. I'd rather have Garcia than Vasquez in the playoffs, but I feel like we'd have a better shot at the playoffs with Vasquez... we need guys that are willing to give it all everytime they are out there, especially someone who only contributes 32 out of 162 games!

Vazquez gives it all for 5 innings.

JohnTucker0814
11-13-2006, 01:48 PM
Vazquez gives it all for 5 innings.

At least he seems genuinly dissapointed when he sucks...

11-13-2006, 01:51 PM

I used to think Roberts was old too...but he isn't as old as his looks make him out to be...he looks 45....

WizardsofOzzie
11-13-2006, 03:07 PM
But what happened to the constant rumors that AROD will be playing short stop next year. I heard that ozzie would also give him his #13 as a bonus.
:tealtutor:

spiffie
11-13-2006, 03:11 PM
Problem with Javy is that at this point he is the lowest valued of all of our starters. Even though the pitching market is always crazy, the market for a guy who hasn't had an above average year since 2003, has the psyche of an eggshell, and has a $9.5 million deal for 2007 is not going to be particularly strong.

ShoelessJoeS
11-13-2006, 04:03 PM
Call me crazy, but I think Freddy is going to have a great season in '07. If Kenny has to trade Garcia, I'd like to see Crawford in return because I think we can get Young for less.

We'll see though....if anyone can get it done, KW can!

chisoxmike
11-13-2006, 04:09 PM
Call me crazy, but I think Freddy is going to have a great season in '07. If Kenny has to trade Garcia, I'd like to see Crawford in return because I think we can get Young for less.

We'll see though....if anyone can get it done, KW can!

I don't know why so many people are ready to give Freddy up. He was one of the few players on the team that showed any sort of heart the final month of the season, he also learned how to pitch with his new lower velocity he had this year.

ShoelessJoeS
11-13-2006, 04:15 PM
I don't know why so many people are ready to give Freddy up. He was one of the few players on the team that showed any sort of heart the final month of the season, he also learned how to pitch with his new lower velocity he had this year.I agree completely. Let's see how far his new approach (and split-finger) can take him.

Ol' No. 2
11-13-2006, 04:36 PM
I don't know why so many people are ready to give Freddy up. He was one of the few players on the team that showed any sort of heart the final month of the season, he also learned how to pitch with his new lower velocity he had this year.Mainly because he showed none the first five months of the season.

chisoxmike
11-13-2006, 04:40 PM
Mainly because he showed none the first five months of the season.

He never was a player to show any, much like Garland.

Ol' No. 2
11-13-2006, 04:45 PM
He never was a player to show any, much like Garland.Then how do you explain your earlier statement?
He was one of the few players on the team that showed any sort of heart the final month of the season,The truth is, who the Sox trade may well be determined more by who the other team wants rather than who Kenny wants to trade.

getonbckthr
11-13-2006, 08:05 PM
I don't know why so many people are ready to give Freddy up. He was one of the few players on the team that showed any sort of heart the final month of the season, he also learned how to pitch with his new lower velocity he had this year.
I want to rid the SouthSide of Freddy because he is "big game." He must realize to succeed the games against KC and Tampa are as big as Minny and NYY.

Domeshot17
11-13-2006, 10:40 PM
At their points in their careers, I think Javy has a better chance to dominate then Freddy does. Freddy is more steady, a lock for 12-14 wins and a mid 4 era. Vaz has a chance to have a low 3 era if he can just keep it together.