PDA

View Full Version : Why do awards suck? (Crede wins Silver Slugger, but loses GG)

jabrch
11-12-2006, 05:45 PM
Ok, I hate the stupid subjective awards to begin with. But someone help me out.

What does Crede do with a bat better than the best hitting 3B in the AL, Alex Rodriguez?

You can argue (and I might just agree) that Crede deserved the GG and that he's as good or possibly better than Chavez. But I don't see how you can possibly defend him winning the Silver Slugger over Alex Rodriguez.

Just for the record, Alex had a higher avg, a higher SLG, a higher OBP, more HRs, more runs and more RBIs. So by what measure is Joe the best hitting 3B in the AL this year? (FWIW, he was 3 HRs shy of Glaus, but lead the AL in each of those other categories)

23Ventura
11-12-2006, 05:51 PM
So by what measure is Joe the best hitting 3B in the AL this year? (FWIW, he was 3 HRs shy of Glaus, but lead the AL in each of those other categories)
I agree. Joe's a good hitter, but nowhere near Arod. He probably shouldn't have won the Silver Slugger, but I guess it evens out because he deserved the Gold Glove.

jabrch
11-12-2006, 05:54 PM
I guess it evens out

Actually, I think it sucks. Rodriguez gets robbed of an award he CLEARLY earned. And you can make the arguement that Joe got jobbed (I think it is still awful close - Chavez is a damn good 3B) out of his GG.

Despite the nonsense about his "clutchness", Alex is one of the best hitters in the game. Joe is a good hitter.

esbrechtel
11-12-2006, 06:04 PM
i think because of the way arod played this season (below his potential) therefore he got shafted...oh well good for Joe he deserved SOMETHING after having a career year

Domeshot17
11-12-2006, 06:14 PM
Im not sure who votes on silver slugger to be honest, but my dad said something a season or 2 ago that made a ton of sense to me.

The reason Sports Writers vote on awards is so they can vote for the wrong person and have something to write about for the next month.

jabrch
11-12-2006, 06:28 PM
Im not sure who votes on silver slugger to be honest, but my dad said something a season or 2 ago that made a ton of sense to me.

The reason Sports Writers vote on awards is so they can vote for the wrong person and have something to write about for the next month.

Managers and coaches vote - can't vote for their own. You can argue the GG either way, but the Silver Slugger there should be no discussion.

Britt Burns
11-12-2006, 08:39 PM
This does it...I always thought awards were on the whole garbage, but Crede not getting the GG is ridiculous. No one was as good in thie field this year-and probably last year, as well-as Joe.

Oblong
11-12-2006, 08:44 PM
Baseball should set up an awards council to hand these out. If contracts and historical records are going to be based on the GG and Silver Sluggers then they should make a better effort to determine the winners. But then they lose the opportunity to have some fan win the chance to throw out the first pitch because they can't sponsor the vote on mlb.com

I don't know if it was broadcast or not but at game 1 of the WS this year the winner was from St. Louis. Poor guy wins a chance to throw out a ball at the world series and has to be from the visiting team's city.

jabrch
11-12-2006, 09:30 PM
This does it...I always thought awards were on the whole garbage, but Crede not getting the GG is ridiculous. No one was as good in thie field this year-and probably last year, as well-as Joe.

Chavez is pretty damn good. I could see the arguement.

ondafarm
11-12-2006, 09:45 PM
Chavez is pretty damn good. I could see the arguement.

This past season I got to watch both guys as much as anybody (check my location) and Chavez is darn good. My feeling is that Crede had a better year.

jabrch
11-12-2006, 10:42 PM
This past season I got to watch both guys as much as anybody (check my location) and Chavez is darn good. My feeling is that Crede had a better year.

Well, from reading your posts, I'm sure you are a better judge than I am, but my point is that you could make a reasonable argument either way. Given the subjectivity of GGs, and the difficulty of making an evaluation, it's at least debatable. It's not a hands down type thing. The Silver Slugger, on the other hand, at 3B, should have absolutely no doubt. That award should go to Rodriguez.

FedEx227
11-12-2006, 10:50 PM
Andruw Jones being compared to Willie Mays based on amount of gold glove awards won... another reason why awards suck.

I couldn't give you one reason why A-Rod didn't win it, it's just a joke, just as I can't give you one credible reason why Chavez won the gold glove. They vote people based on principle and personal beliefs, if A-Rod wasn't on the Yankees and wasn't painted as Public Enemy No.1 all season he would've ran away with this award.