PDA

View Full Version : Jaret Wright to the Orioles

DaleJRFan
11-12-2006, 03:31 PM
Didnt see this posted.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2658959

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20061112&content_id=1739428&vkey=pr_bal&fext=.jsp&c_id=bal

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061112&content_id=1739294&vkey=news_bal&fext=.jsp&c_id=bal

Jaret Wright was traded by the New York Yankees to the Baltimore Orioles on Sunday for right-handed reliever Chris Britton.

As part of the deal, the Yankees will pay $4 million of Wright's $7 million salary next year. New York had until Sunday to opt out of Wright's contract, a move that also would have cost the Yankees a $4 million buyout.

Good move for both teams. Wright is reunited with Mazonni and the Yankees get a good bullpen arm in return. This leaves the Yankees with Randy Johnson and Chien Ming Wang in the rotation. They have some work to do.

MUsoxfan
11-12-2006, 03:37 PM
Keep looking for the Yanks to dump salary

Palehose Pete
11-12-2006, 03:38 PM
Also, keep looking for the Yankees to stock their pitching with young arms.

SABRSox
11-12-2006, 03:41 PM
Also, keep looking for the Yankees to stock their pitching with young arms.

They're gonna try to outslug everyone. I guess you might as well do that with cheap, young pitching, than overpriced veterans who perform at the same level.

Palehose Pete
11-12-2006, 03:43 PM
Agreed. And if one of the young pitchers turns out to be half-way decent, the Yanks will have gotten more than their money's worth.

Jjav829
11-12-2006, 04:26 PM
Like I said in the Tiggers thread where this was brought up, it's a great move for the Yankees and a bad move for the Orioles. The Yankees may have bought out Wright's contract today, but instead they were able to trade him for a solid reliever. I don't know why the Orioles chose to give up a decent young reliever for an injury prone, very mediocre pitcher who could have been available as a free agent.

soxfan26
11-12-2006, 04:51 PM
Like I said in the Tiggers thread where this was brought up, it's a great move for the Yankees and a bad move for the Orioles. The Yankees may have bought out Wright's contract today, but instead they were able to trade him for a solid reliever. I don't know why the Orioles chose to give up a decent young reliever for an injury prone, very mediocre pitcher who could have been available as a free agent.

That's no way to talk about a guy that won 15 games in 2004. :redneck

Domeshot17
11-12-2006, 06:12 PM
This tells me a few things

(1) I like the deal for both sides. Wright reunited with Mazonni could be a great thing.

(2) Maybe the Yankees are confident they outbid everyone for Matsuzaka.

(3) Is Pavano next or will the Yankees rely on him this year

SoxSpeed22
11-12-2006, 06:52 PM
It's getting more likely that they will attempt to sign Wang long-term. Pavano has just been one disaster after another and some of those Tiger pitchers will help them next year. Proctor or another prospect I don't know about might get inserted into the rotation. Most O's fans don't like this very much, but then again, they haven't had much to cheer about for some time.

getonbckthr
11-13-2006, 12:32 AM
So the Yankees are the paying the Orioles to run a pitcher out there and get his brains beat in........BRILLIANT!

wdelaney72
11-13-2006, 12:31 PM
Keep looking for the Yanks to dump salary

To your credit, I recall you posting this about the Yanks last month.

I agree, with you and am still convinced they will deal Rodriguez at some time this off-season.

Foulke You
11-13-2006, 12:51 PM
To your credit, I recall you posting this about the Yanks last month.

I agree, with you and am still convinced they will deal Rodriguez at some time this off-season.
Are they truly dumping salary or are they merely making room for Zito and Matsuzaka's sure to be extremely bloated salaries? Let's be realistic here, this is the Yankees. History teaches us that they normally only dump salaries so that they can make another big splash on the free agent market. I'm smelling a big signing on the horizon for the Yanks.

Fenway
11-13-2006, 12:53 PM
Are they truly dumping salary or are they merely making room for Zito and Matsuzaka's sure to be extremely bloated salaries? Let's be realistic here, this is the Yankees. History teaches us that they normally only dump salaries so that they can make another big splash on the free agent market. I'm smelling a big signing on the horizon for the Yanks.

Especially if the Red Sox got Matsuzaka.

Wright has proven he is not a big game pitcher. Why The Orioles want him is a head scratcher.

palehozenychicty
11-13-2006, 12:56 PM

Wright has proven he is not a big game pitcher. Why The Orioles want him is a head scratcher.

Can you really be surprised by anything the Birds do? Angelos is neck and neck with Wirtz for the worst owner in sports. He has completely ruined that franchise.

Fenway
11-13-2006, 01:12 PM
Can you really be surprised by anything the Birds do? Angelos is neck and neck with Wirtz for the worst owner in sports. He has completely ruined that franchise.

But they are hopeful :tongue:

"The perception is 92 losses. That means you have a long way to go," Orioles vice president Jim Duquette said. "But the reality is, in our opinion and in the opinion of a lot of people in baseball, is that we have a lot of good things going on here. We think we can close the gap here a lot quicker than many of the so-called pundits think we can, but we need to attract premium players."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-sp.orioles13nov13,0,7677191.story?coll=bal-home-headlines

Wright pickup repeats Benson formula for O's (http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-sp.trade13nov13,0,939540.story?coll=bal-sports-baseball)

Roch Around the Clock: Getting it Wright (http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-rochlink,0,3650613.storylink?coll=bal-sports-baseball)

spiffie
11-13-2006, 02:29 PM

Thankfully the Orioles don't find themselves having to deal with many big games.

Ol' No. 2
11-13-2006, 03:34 PM
Are they truly dumping salary or are they merely making room for Zito and Matsuzaka's sure to be extremely bloated salaries? Let's be realistic here, this is the Yankees. History teaches us that they normally only dump salaries so that they can make another big splash on the free agent market. I'm smelling a big signing on the horizon for the Yanks.I'm assuming it's the latter, as I believe most others are. There's a limit even for George Steinbrenner as to how high his payroll can go, and he's got to be getting close. With revenue sharing and luxury taxes, he's got to be closing in on $350M. For them to add the pieces they need is going to cost somewhere north of $30M. That means cuts elsewhere. They just dumped $20M between Sheffield and Wright. Where else can they trim another $10M+?? Simple math dictates Rodriguez has to go.

MUsoxfan
11-13-2006, 04:19 PM
I'm assuming it's the latter, as I believe most others are. There's a limit even for George Steinbrenner as to how high his payroll can go, and he's got to be getting close. With revenue sharing and luxury taxes, he's got to be closing in on $350M. For them to add the pieces they need is going to cost somewhere north of $30M. That means cuts elsewhere. They just dumped $20M between Sheffield and Wright. Where else can they trim another $10M+?? Simple math dictates Rodriguez has to go.

My Yankee "source" indicated to me about a month ago that Big Stein was looking to dump salary in order to become "more fiscally responsible" because he's getting nothing done the way he's been doing it.

SABRSox
11-13-2006, 05:08 PM
My Yankee "source" indicated to me about a month ago that Big Stein was looking to dump salary in order to become "more fiscally responsible" because he's getting nothing done the way he's been doing it.

http://rotoauthority.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/hell_freezes_over.jpg

MUsoxfan
11-13-2006, 05:25 PM
http://rotoauthority.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/hell_freezes_over.jpg

I know....I was surprised too. I guess the old man finally has somewhat bright people in his ear

Ol' No. 2
11-13-2006, 05:31 PM
My Yankee "source" indicated to me about a month ago that Big Stein was looking to dump salary in order to become "more fiscally responsible" because he's getting nothing done the way he's been doing it.Not a chance. Steinbrenner is not going to suddenly turn into Jeffrey Loria. If they're trimming, it's only with the intent to spend it elsewhere. No way their payroll comes in under $200M next year.

MUsoxfan
11-13-2006, 05:37 PM
Not a chance. Steinbrenner is not going to change who he is. If they're trimming, it's only with the intent to spend it elsewhere. No way their payroll comes in under $200M next year.

I'll bet it will be. I think the old man realizes these mid-level payroll teams are crushing him and maybe they're onto something. If it was just the Red Sox beating him every year, it would just be a contest to see who could have the highest payroll. But it was only the Red Sox that one year.

Foulke You
11-13-2006, 05:54 PM
I'm assuming it's the latter, as I believe most others are. There's a limit even for George Steinbrenner as to how high his payroll can go, and he's got to be getting close. With revenue sharing and luxury taxes, he's got to be closing in on $350M. For them to add the pieces they need is going to cost somewhere north of $30M. That means cuts elsewhere. They just dumped $20M between Sheffield and Wright. Where else can they trim another $10M+?? Simple math dictates Rodriguez has to go.
I also wonder if the Yanks would consider shopping Posada? He has a hefty $12 million option for '07 and is getting older. The Yanks have three choices: pickup the option and keep Posada, pickup the option and trade Posada like they did with Sheffield, or exercise the buyout at $4 million and let him go for nothing. I don't know if trading Posada is realistic for the Yanks since they don't appear to have anything in the pipeline as far as a replacement but he is another guy on the roster besides A-Rod who appears tradeable and does make a ton of salary that could be moved to make room for someone else. Has anyone heard anything about Posada's '07 status? Have they already picked up the option?

SoxSpeed22
11-13-2006, 07:14 PM
The Yankees don't have any depth in the catcher position. And all the other ones on the free agent market are over 30. Bengie Molina is their best bet, if they choose to go that way. Or they could rely on Wil Nieves to be the guy. There should be some other pitcher contracts they can get rid of, they will try.

Ol' No. 2
11-13-2006, 09:54 PM
I'll bet it will be. I think the old man realizes these mid-level payroll teams are crushing him and maybe they're onto something. If it was just the Red Sox beating him every year, it would just be a contest to see who could have the highest payroll. But it was only the Red Sox that one year.In what world does reducing payroll improve your chances of winning? Steinbrenner doesn't have the patience to build. He wants to win and he wants to win NOW. He just can't resist going after every shiny new star he sees.

WizardsofOzzie
11-13-2006, 10:28 PM
I'll bet it will be. I think the old man realizes these mid-level payroll teams are crushing him and maybe they're onto something. If it was just the Red Sox beating him every year, it would just be a contest to see who could have the highest payroll. But it was only the Red Sox that one year.
I'd like to think he's learned his lesson, but old habbits die hard. I agree with the posters who said he's just freeing up room for Zito, and the other FA's

MUsoxfan
11-13-2006, 11:33 PM
In what world does reducing payroll improve your chances of winning? Steinbrenner doesn't have the patience to build. He wants to win and he wants to win NOW. He just can't resist going after every shiny new star he sees.

He has spent over $1,000,000,000 for the better part of this decade without winning a single World Series. He's very upset that his tremendous investment has gotten him nowhere and has chosen to move in a slightly different direction. So I ask you....in what world does overpaying mediocrity win you a World Series? He's developing more of a hands-off attitude and letting his people do the work because he's losing it a little mentally. (If you don't believe me about that, think about the last time you saw him do a TV interview)

Fenway
11-14-2006, 01:03 AM
Boston will spend to the cap at 148 mil. They will not go over.

Ol' No. 2
11-14-2006, 10:24 AM
He has spent over $1,000,000,000 for the better part of this decade without winning a single World Series. He's very upset that his tremendous investment has gotten him nowhere and has chosen to move in a slightly different direction. So I ask you....in what world does overpaying mediocrity win you a World Series? He's developing more of a hands-off attitude and letting his people do the work because he's losing it a little mentally. (If you don't believe me about that, think about the last time you saw him do a TV interview)He is who he is. I don't think it's in his makeup to keep his hands off. The last Yankee dynasty was built when he was forced to keep his hands off. For him to do that voluntarily...

http://humanities.byu.edu/ELC/student/idioms/idioms/images/when_pigs_fly.jpg