PDA

View Full Version : Jay Marshall???

champagne030
11-12-2006, 01:17 PM
Phil Rogers has a tidbit about Jay Marshall in the print version of the Cubune today. He says that Marshall is from the same juco as Buehrle and had a big year in high A. Marshall, a lefty, limited LH batters to a .096 average and didn't walk one in a total of 58 innings pitched. Rogers also says we'll lose him if he's not added to the 40 man roster.

Anyone have info about Marshall?

veeter
11-12-2006, 06:06 PM
I've only seen this guy's stats every year in the media guide. He's yet to have anything but a very solid year. Hopefully he's for real.

CWSpalehoseCWS
11-12-2006, 06:33 PM
He'd be better off on the 40-Man Roster than Edwardo Sierra...

JChisox
11-12-2006, 07:03 PM
As a biased observer and also his father, I can give you a little background on Jay. From the age of 9 through JUCO ball and his first two years of pro ball, he threw two pitches, fastball and changeup, from a low 3/4 arm slot. Since he could throw either pitch in any count, it helped his fastball, which topped out a couple years ago in the 86-88 mph range, look faster. His first two pro years were in Bristol as a starter where he had some success.

In ST 2005 he was warming up with Ehren Wasserman and throwing sidearm/submarine just as Ehren does. They asked Jay if he wanted to try that on the mound which he did and his career took the turn to reliever. He was then assigned to Great Falls where his first 5 appearances went well, then he struggled for the next 6 (including our only visit to see him). But in his last 18 appearances (30 innings), he went 2-0, 4 SVs, a 1.20 ERA and .73 WHIP.

This year he didn't get the word until the last minute that he was headed to W-S where he got off to a hot start which he was generally able to maintain throughout the season. He mainly relied on his low to mid 80s fastball, mixing in some changeups and sliders (Javier Lopez helped him in ST with the slider). According to minorleaguesplits.com, his OPS against lefthanders was .229 while righties had a .733 OPS. But also according to the same site, out of 234 batters faced, there were only 9 balls hit to LF all year, 3 of them on the ground. He forces RHs to hit to center or right and he especially makes all hitters hit it on the ground. His GO/FO ratio for the year was 3.69.

As I said at the start, I'm biased but I hope this was helpful.

Daver
11-12-2006, 07:29 PM
As a biased observer and also his father, I can give you a little background on Jay. From the age of 9 through JUCO ball and his first two years of pro ball, he threw two pitches, fastball and changeup, from a low 3/4 arm slot. Since he could throw either pitch in any count, it helped his fastball, which topped out a couple years ago in the 86-88 mph range, look faster. His first two pro years were in Bristol as a starter where he had some success.

In ST 2005 he was warming up with Ehren Wasserman and throwing sidearm/submarine just as Ehren does. They asked Jay if he wanted to try that on the mound which he did and his career took the turn to reliever. He was then assigned to Great Falls where his first 5 appearances went well, then he struggled for the next 6 (including our only visit to see him). But in his last 18 appearances (30 innings), he went 2-0, 4 SVs, a 1.20 ERA and .73 WHIP.

This year he didn't get the word until the last minute that he was headed to W-S where he got off to a hot start which he was generally able to maintain throughout the season. He mainly relied on his low to mid 80s fastball, mixing in some changeups and sliders (Javier Lopez helped him in ST with the slider). According to minorleaguesplits.com, his OPS against lefthanders was .229 while righties had a .733 OPS. But also according to the same site, out of 234 batters faced, there were only 9 balls hit to LF all year, 3 of them on the ground. He forces RHs to hit to center or right and he especially makes all hitters hit it on the ground. His GO/FO ratio for the year was 3.69.

As I said at the start, I'm biased but I hope this was helpful.

Thank you for the BG, and welcome to WSI.

As his father aren't you a bit concerned about him switching to a sidearm delivery? If not done with very near flawless mechanics that is an injury waiting to happen.

JChisox
11-12-2006, 07:50 PM
Thx Daver.

Throughout his pre-Sox career, Jay had never had any arm trouble. His first pro start was in 2003 against Nick Pesco and the Burlington Indians where he threw with his normal arm slot for his 4 innings of work, dominating the Indians 5-0. After a couple more starts, the Sox had him raise his arm slot. His pitches had plenty of lateral movement and they wanted to add some more sink. He strained the muscles behind his left shoulder and sat out for 3 weeks. For the rest of that year and the next they were able to raise his arm slot a little bit without causing further issues.

In ST 2005 Kirk Champion was trying to figure out what to do next. Jay was a tweener, good enough to keep but maybe not good enough to advance. Dropping down has worked for him for 2 years. As a concerned father I have always asked how he's feeling and hope he's giving me the straight scoop. I made 4 trips from St Louis to see him this year and what I see is a very repeatable delivery that looks fluid to me. I guess it will depend on how many sliders he'll need to throw to be successful at the upper levels and how his elbow responds. He shouldn't have to worry about rotator cuff problems.

Daver
11-12-2006, 08:01 PM
Kirk is good, if he is overseeing his development personally, I would have less worries, Kirk has a history of teaching pitchers to make the most out of what they have, while doing it with minimal risk to themselves.

Frater Perdurabo
11-12-2006, 08:03 PM
He forces RHs to hit to center or right and he especially makes all hitters hit it on the ground. His GO/FO ratio for the year was 3.69.

Welcome and thanks for the insight. We're all totally biased Sox fans anyway, so bias is no problem, especially since you've been so honest about it from the top. :D:

I imagine that maintaining that kind of GO/FO ratio, coupled with the stout infield defense the Sox already have, potentially could translate into effective LH middle relief at the Cell, something the Sox seem to need especially given Cotts' dismal regression in 2006. Here's to rooting for Jay to be the answer in 2007!

JChisox
11-12-2006, 08:34 PM
It would be great if things worked that way for 2007. BTW, does anyone know what the cutoff date is for the 40 man roster?

Man Soo Lee
11-13-2006, 01:19 AM
BTW, does anyone know what the cutoff date is for the 40 man roster?

I think it's November 20th.

esbrechtel
11-13-2006, 08:05 AM
left handed pitcher...pretty solid stats...i wouldnt mind seeing him throw a few innings in ST....and i wouldnt talk bad about him cuz his dad is on WSI

maurice
11-13-2006, 12:30 PM
I detected no bias. Your helpful report was filled with objective info. Thanks.

The Sox have a fairly extensive history of lowering the armslots on "tweeners." At least one of these guys has gone on to success in the majors. Another one raised his stock substantially in 2006 and seems to be well on his way to a MLB career as a LOOGY. Good luck.

Fungo
12-07-2006, 08:40 AM
Jay Marshall was selected 26th by the A's in the first round of the Rule 5 draft today.

Edit:

Major League Phase

First Round
Team: Player, Pos., Previous Org.
1. Devil Rays: Ryan Goleski, of, Indians (to be traded to Oakland)
2. Royals: Joakim Soria, rhp, Padres
3. Cubs: Josh Hamilton, of, Devil Rays
4. Pirates: Sean White, rhp, Pirates
5. Orioles: Alfredo Simon, rhp, Rangers
6. Nationals: Jesus Flores, c, Mets
7. Brewers: Edward Campusano, lhp, Cubs
15. Reds: Jared Burton, rhp, Athletics
17. Astros: Lincoln Holdzcom, rhp, Cubs
19. Phillies: Adam Donachie, c, Royals
20. Red Sox: Nick DeBarr, rhp, Devil Rays
21. Blue Jays: Jason Smith, ss, Cubs
23. Padres: Kevin Cameron, rhp, Twins
26. Athletics: Jay Marshall, lhp, White Sox
28. Twins: Alejandro Machado, if, Nationals
30. Yankees: Josh Phelps, 1b/dh, Orioles

Second Round:

1. Nationals: Levale Speigner, rhp, Twins
2. Phillies: Jim Ed Warden, rhp, Indians

Third Round:

1. Phillies: Ryan Budde, c, Angels

RULE 5 MINOR LEAGUE PHASE

Triple-A Phase

1. Devil Rays: Erold Andrus, of/1b, Twins
2. Royals: Richard Lewis, 2b, Cubs
3. Cubs: James Henderson, rhp, Nationals
4. Pirates: Moises Robles, rhp, Mets
6. Nationals: Justin Jones, lhp, Twins
7. Brewers: Michael Carlin, 1b, Pirates
8. Rockies: Salomon Manriquez, c, Nationals
10. Giants: Trey Webb, ss/2b, Nationals
12. Marlins: Josh Labandeira, if, Nationals
15. Reds: Francisco Mateo, lhp, Blue Jays
16. Rangers: Johany Abreu, ss, Giants
18. Cardinals: Omar Falcon, c, Giants
19. Phillies: Victor Hall, of, Yankees
23. Padres: Brandon Powell, 3b/2b, Nationals
26. Athletics: Andy Shipman, rhp, Cubs
28. Twins: Jesse Floyd, rhp, Giants
29: Mets: Ricardo Morales, lhp, Nationals

ROUND TWO

10. Marlins: Cristhian Martinez, rhp, Tigers
14. Rangers: Kendy Batista, rhp, Orioles
16. Cardinals: Jose Contreras, ss, Nationals
19. Athletics: Josh Alliston, rhp, Brewers
20. Twins: Brian Buscher, 3b, Giants

ROUND THREE

1. Marlins: Lorenzo Scott, of, Orioles
2. Rangers: Brian Munhall, c, Giants

DOUBLE-A PHASE

1. Devil Rays: Paul Moviel, rhp, White Sox
2. Pirates: Kevin Cave, rhp, Marlins
3. Reds: Nick Moran, rhp, Devil Rays

Britt Burns
12-07-2006, 11:14 AM
I hate to see Jay go...lefties with funky deliveries aren't that common, and I'd think he could serve at a minimum as a LOOGY-type reliever, but hopefully he will get a chance to succeed in Oakland.

cws05champ
03-21-2007, 09:44 AM
Jay Marshall's spring stats with the A's this spring:

10 1/3 IP, 9 H, 3 ER, 2 W, 3 K, for a 2.61 ERA

I'm not sure what the A's situation is in the bullpen, so I don;t know if he'll stick or not despite a strong spring statically speaking.

Anyone know anything more on whether he'll be sent back or will stick with the A's?

russ99
04-05-2007, 08:49 PM
Jay Marshall's spring stats with the A's this spring:

10 1/3 IP, 9 H, 3 ER, 2 W, 3 K, for a 2.61 ERA

I'm not sure what the A's situation is in the bullpen, so I don;t know if he'll stick or not despite a strong spring statically speaking.

Anyone know anything more on whether he'll be sent back or will stick with the A's?

Congrats to Jay (and his dad, "JCHisox" - fellow WSI poster!) for making the Opening Day rosters for the A's. :D: Hopefully he'll have lots of success in the big leagues (except when facing the Sox).

jabrch
04-10-2007, 10:34 AM
Jay looked like he had some pretty good stuff. He rolled through 7/8/9 in his first inning against us. The top of the order nicked him for a few runs, but his stuff still looked good. His other outings (3 IP) this year were flawless (0 baserunners allowed). He's going to be a big piece to Oakland's pen this year. Nice grab for them. There's not a lefty in baseball who will WANT to step in the box against a guy coming from that angle.

I'm glad to see Jay do well against other teams - and get hit vs the Sox.