PDA

View Full Version : Every day that passes...

OfficerKarkovice
03-05-2002, 11:14 AM
it seems that there is more and more of a legitimate chance that Jon Rauch might make the club as a starter. Once again today in the article in the Trib talking about how Manuel is unhappy about his starters progress returning from injury he mentions how there is a possibility that he could be the 5th starter...I wonder, if Butter isn't ready could we see:

Buehrle
Ritchie
Garland
Wright/Glover
Rauch

cheeses_h_rice
03-05-2002, 11:31 AM
Can you imagine the 'tude JM would get from Parque if he were "demoted" to a reliever role or even AAA? Yeesh!

RichH55
03-05-2002, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice
it seems that there is more and more of a legitimate chance that Jon Rauch might make the club as a starter. Once again today in the article in the Trib talking about how Manuel is unhappy about his starters progress returning from injury he mentions how there is a possibility that he could be the 5th starter...I wonder, if Butter isn't ready could we see:

Buehrle
Ritchie
Garland
Wright/Glover
Rauch

Rauch is coming off surgery too....I hope he isn't the 5th guy coming out of ST>.....seems like a lot of risk, for a small short term reward

bc2k
03-05-2002, 08:54 PM
If Jim Parque starts off the season rehabing in Charlotte, and winds up pitching in the bullpen as that needed second lefty, do you think teams will show less interest in him as a free agent. This could hurt his contract length and salary demands making him much more appealing to Jerry Reinsdorf.

Daver
03-05-2002, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
If Jim Parque starts off the season rehabing in Charlotte, and winds up pitching in the bullpen as that needed second lefty, do you think teams will show less interest in him as a free agent. This could hurt his contract length and salary demands making him much more appealing to Jerry Reinsdorf.

He should be in the bullpen regardless.

CubKilla
03-05-2002, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by daver

He should be in the bullpen regardless.

He will be..... or worse if he doesn't get his fastball into the 90's. And from what I've read on certain WSI threads regarding Rauch's performance (I recall an SI article said he was looking fantastic), I think he now has a legitimate shot at being the number five starter if Butter doesn't get his $h!t together.

baggio202
03-05-2002, 09:16 PM
parque was weak when he was healthy....this could be real scary

GASHWOUND
03-05-2002, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by baggio202
parque was weak when he was healthy....this could be real scary

Actually Parque gained some bulk during the off year. Its kinda hard totell but if you look realy hard you can see a little muscle.

RedPinStripes
03-05-2002, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND

Actually Parque gained some bulk during the off year. Its kinda hard totell but if you look realy hard you can see a little muscle.

That don't mean he's going to throw harder though. He only threw around 90 before surgury.

Bmr31
03-05-2002, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

That don't mean he's going to throw harder though. He only threw around 90 before surgury.

Parque is below average at best, how come people cant see this???

bc2k
03-05-2002, 10:40 PM

But it does mean he will be ready for punk Dean Palmer this year. And he better not throw his helmet this time, that little biatch.

BMR, i see it. I didn't like him pitching before surgery let alone after. I think he can be successful in a sean lowe 2001 spot in the bullpen. Plus he is our best option as the second lefty to Wunsch.

GASHWOUND
03-05-2002, 11:21 PM

It doesn't matter if he throws hard or not, just where he spots it and how he changes speed. Alot of pitchers(especially lefties) can't reach 90 on the radar, but have been successful. I think as times goes by he'll regain his throwing speed anyway.
And before surgery he would hit around 90 to 92 MPH

Bmr31
03-05-2002, 11:26 PM

It doesn't matter if he throws hard or not, just where he spots it and how he changes speed. Alot of pitchers(especially lefties) can't reach 90 on the radar, but have been successful. I think as times goes by he'll regain his throwing speed anyway.
And before surgery he would hit around 90 to 92 MPH

yeah but lack of enough talent to be a major league winner DOES matter.....

GASHWOUND
03-05-2002, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31

yeah but lack of enough talent to be a major league winner DOES matter.....

I think he does have alot of talent. He jumped from college straight to the majors with out ever pitching in the minors for a reason. The problem with him is stamina. Through out his career he has pitched great games through 4 and 5 innings, but can't get over the hump of pitching 6 or 7 great innings.
What does that say? Uhh, probably suited for the pen.

Daver
03-05-2002, 11:38 PM

I think he does have alot of talent. He jumped from college straight to the majors with out ever pitching in the minors for a reason. The problem with him is stamina. Through out his career he has pitched great games through 4 and 5 innings, but can't get over the hump of pitching 6 or 7 great innings.

I think I have heard that before.

GASHWOUND
03-05-2002, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by daver

I think I have heard that before.

Hmmyou think Parque should be in the pen?, I think I may have seen you mention that once or twice. :smile:

Bmr31
03-05-2002, 11:48 PM

yeah and "non closer" bullpen guys are the worst pitchers on the team....

OfficerKarkovice
03-05-2002, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31

yeah and "non closer" bullpen guys are the worst pitchers on the team....

Maybe...but look at the success Seattle had last year largely due to their fantastic middle relief pitching to go along with a good closer which we already have.

Bmr31
03-05-2002, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice

Maybe...but look at the success Seattle had last year largely due to their fantastic middle relief pitching to go along with a good closer which we already have.

true but teams still(IN GENERAL so please dont quote me) use the best 6 pitchers they have for 5 starters and 1 closer. Parques talent matches a lefty setup position, out of the bullpen. I think he would do quite well in that position....

kermittheefrog
03-06-2002, 04:23 PM
I'm really excited about Rauch potentially starting the season in the majors. It's more of a fan's excitement than a rational stathead excitement though. I have no clue what kind of results to expect after that surgery.