PDA

View Full Version : Manuel not happy with rehabbing pitchers

cheeses_h_rice
03-05-2002, 10:42 AM
http://www.chicagosports.com/whitesox/content/story/0,1984,176868,00.html

Boy, it sure seems to me that the entire squad, almost across the board, is not where they should be.

Does this worry anyone else as much as it does me?

Paulwny
03-05-2002, 01:27 PM
Agree, not a good sign.

hold2dibber
03-05-2002, 01:45 PM
The "conventional wisdom" out there seems to be that it takes one full season to completely recover from arm surgery for a pitcher. If that is, in fact, the case for all of our pitchers coming off of surgery, we are in trouble, because the Sox are clearly counting on Osuna, Wunsch, Barcelo and Parque to a great extent this year. If those guys turn in years like Howry turned in last year when he was coming off of surgery, the Sox will have to add another or two in trades if they want to contend. That said, several of the Sox pitchers went down very early in the year last year, so maybe they'll come around earlier this year than they might have otherwise. I'm also hopeful that all of the work these guys did over the winter in Lisle might speed their recoveries. But I'm very, very nervous, to say th least.

baggio202
03-05-2002, 02:46 PM
there was a quote in there by manuel that even howry's fastball isnt up to snuff...if thats the case why didnt we pull the trigger on the gagne trade????...if howry is not gonna be back to his pre-injury form this year..i doubt he ever will be

duke of dorwood
03-05-2002, 05:37 PM
The 3 for 1 is looking bad, folks

CubKilla
03-05-2002, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by baggio202
there was a quote in there by manuel that even howry's fastball isnt up to snuff...if thats the case why didnt we pull the trigger on the gagne trade????...if howry is not gonna be back to his pre-injury form this year..i doubt he ever will be

Agreed. Especially on the Gagne part.

foulkesfan11
03-06-2002, 09:26 AM
I have to be optimistic here. I think that the velocity will come along in time.

harwar
03-06-2002, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
The "conventional wisdom" out there seems to be that it takes one full season to completely recover from arm surgery for a pitcher. If that is, in fact, the case for all of our pitchers coming off of surgery, we are in trouble, because the Sox are clearly counting on Osuna, Wunsch, Barcelo and Parque to a great extent this year. If those guys turn in years like Howry turned in last year when he was coming off of surgery, the Sox will have to add another or two in trades if they want to contend. That said, several of the Sox pitchers went down very early in the year last year, so maybe they'll come around earlier this year than they might have otherwise. I'm also hopeful that all of the work these guys did over the winter in Lisle might speed their recoveries. But I'm very, very nervous, to say th least.

These are all very good reasons why the Sox should have hung on to Sean Lowe.I think he would have accepted his role as middle-reliever because hes' the kind of guy thats wants to win no matter what.I read last year where the yankees were toying with the idea of picking him up for middle relief.I'm not sure what happened.All i know is that trading away Sean Lowe was a BIG mistake.Also,if all else failed we would of had a guy that can give you innings as a starter,kind of like Ritchie.Ritchie will no doubt give us innings.Whether they will be more good than bad,or just mediocre is to be seen.

Lisa
03-06-2002, 10:24 AM
I remember reading an article about the Lisle rehabs aver the winter (if I find it I'll post it), and if I remember correctly it pissed me off. Parque wasn't where he needed to be to be ready for the season, and Thomas basically walked in, said, "I'm fine," and they took his word for it and let him go. The rest of the pitchers they said were going to be ready, whch obviously isn't the case, so I'm wondering WHERE THE HELL OUR COACHES ARE?!?!