PDA

View Full Version : Rick Morrisey's World Turned Upside Down

SOXPHILE
11-10-2006, 10:08 AM
Today, Dennis Fitzsimmons errand boy pens an article on the White Sox becoming the most popular team in Chicago, according to a recent poll. "Some of us -(Tribune employees-Cub fans)- are still having a hard time believing it." He even makes reference to his statement last year that many of those at the World Series victory parade were Cub fans, because, there just CAN'T be that many Sox fans, can there ? Rick seems to come to the realization that when a consistenly good team is put on the field, contending for the playoffs, and even winning that whole World Series thingy, that, lo and behold ! - it draws more people to the team and makes them more popular. We Sox fans have always said that: We care about the team, the game. Win, and we come. He does admit that the Cubs would sell out no matter how awful the team is, but his statement that he still believes there are still 3 Cub fans for every Sox fan is misleading. He fails to point out that a good percentage of those at the game or claiming to be fans of the team, are not actually "Cub Fans", but "Cubs GAME Fans", and the whole Marte Gras North atmosphere in and around the park that his employer has nurtured and promoted for over 20 years. (I've always believed that the number of ACTUAL Cubs and Sox fans in Chicago is about the same). So, while I wouldn't say that Lil' Ricky has "taken the red pill" and wants to see the real world, it is kind of amusing to see him munch on a little bit of crow.

Hokiesox
11-10-2006, 10:11 AM
I took great pleasure in reading the article and imagining the big plate of crow in front of him. We may not appreciate the things he's written about the Sox and us in the past, but I still admire a man who writes about how wrong he has been re: his characterization of the Sox organization and its fans. Let's hope he permanently changes course.

SoxFan78
11-10-2006, 10:22 AM
I never bought the statement that there were lots of Cub fans at the parade. All the Cub fans I know stayed away from the White Sox celebration. As I would stay away from any Cub celebration.

voodoochile
11-10-2006, 10:33 AM
He still downgraded the parade estimate to 1M which is half of all previous estimates I have seen and the quote to the effect "people actually care about winning - who knew?" was simply classic for it's rampant stupidity and obvious ridiculousness.

Of course fans care about winning. Without the chance to win the whole enchilada, sports might as well be a movie. I mean a good movie is great but with the exception of some serious Star Wars nuts, NO ONE spends thousands of dollars to dress up like a member of the cast, stands in lines for hours in the cold or comes up with unique and crazy ways to cheer on the team. I mean what's the point in rooting vocally for Tom Cruise? You know he's going to win in the end.

The agony, the extasy, the passion, the vibrance, it's unique to events where the outcome is in doubt. That's why people love sports, but if you knew the outcome in advance, you wouldn't care nearly as much and the chance to be part of something great, even as the "10th man" is what keeps us all coming back for more.

Yo, Rick, just because the people you hang out with are ambivilent to winning doesn't mean the rest of us are or ever have been. In fact, the chance to win was a reason I quit rooting for the flubbies lo these 27+ years ago.

DumpJerry
11-10-2006, 10:35 AM
I still run into Cub fans who tell me the '05 Sox were no big deal, flash in the pan, etc. They also tell me that Sox games were empty last year once we were eliminated.

I sent their Kool Aid to the Illinois State Police Lab for testing.

Hitmen77
11-10-2006, 10:38 AM
I never bought the statement that there were lots of Cub fans at the parade. All the Cub fans I know stayed away from the White Sox celebration. As I would stay away from any Cub celebration.

Of course it was total B.S. Anyone who was at the parade knows for a fact that this statement is a total lie.

The only way Rick could honestly say there were alot of Cub fans at the parade was if he was only looking at the other reporters covering the parade - in which case he would see a bunch of Cub fans.

By the way, here's the link to today's article: http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-061109morrissey,1,3977371.column?coll=cs-home-utility

Palehose Pete
11-10-2006, 10:53 AM
A lot of Cubs fans that I know really don't like the fact that the Sox are apparently as popular as the Cubs. It was the last fig leaf that they could hide behind when confronted with the fact that the Sox are the better baseball team in the city. They would always say, "Well, it's a Cubs town, anyway, so who cares if the Sox won it all." Well, now it looks like the tide is turning - not that I give a fig about the attendance or radio and TV ratings only in so far as the revenue is used to build and maintain a great team - but at least Cubs fans can't use the lame "we're more popular than you" argument any longer. Oh, what will they do now?

DumpJerry
11-10-2006, 11:02 AM
It's the strangest thing: A lot of people want to see a winner. Who knew?
There were many jag-bag statements in the article I thought about quoting, but this one really shows how he has the intelligence of used motor oil.

daveeym
11-10-2006, 11:20 AM
You know what's so stupid about all of this is that recent Chicago history has proven that if you build a consistent winner you'll get the fans. The bulls and hawks didn't draw crap until the late 80's when both began putting consistent playoff teams on the floor and ice.

MarySwiss
11-10-2006, 11:56 AM
As Sox fans know, there are a lot of people out there who never believed the Sox HAD many fans. Out here in Arizona, it used to be that whenever I met someone new, and they heard I was from Chicago, 9 times out of 10 they just assumed I was a Cub fan. I always explained to them that there are a hell of a lot more Sox fans out there than people think; it's just that we don't run around whining all over the place and looking for sympathy about our team when they lose. Looks like Rick still hasn't gotten that.

TornLabrum
11-10-2006, 12:15 PM
There were many jag-bag statements in the article I thought about quoting, but this one really shows how he has the intelligence of used motor oil.

Or possibly if he were writing for this message board, he would have put it in teal?

slavko
11-10-2006, 12:15 PM
hawks didn't draw crap until the late 80's when both began putting consistent playoff teams on the floor and ice.

Huh? Were the days of Mikita, Esposito and Hull and a rocking Stadium that long ago?

AuroraSoxFan
11-10-2006, 12:24 PM
Really don't get why everyone is bashing the guy. He didn't rip the Sox at all. Sounded like he was commending them for fielding a team that can contend for the next several years at least. I didn't see any shots taken at any players, mgmt, fans etc. Seemed like his main point was that they have made great strides regarding attendance and victories in a fairly short time span. Can't really argue that.

Steelrod
11-10-2006, 12:41 PM
Quite possibly, Fitzsimmons watch over the corporate beans would have not resulted into so much chaos and loss of corporate value had he spent more attention on the products the Tribune Corp was spewing, and less time counting the throngs of people at OUR parade. Can't even imagine how long it took him to count 1-2 million fans on the parade route.

daveeym
11-10-2006, 12:44 PM
Huh? Were the days of Mikita, Esposito and Hull and a rocking Stadium that long ago? And what was that 10-20 years before the time I'm talking about. The 80's weren't all that rocking for either team in the stadium until the end of the decade.

chisoxfanatic
11-10-2006, 01:08 PM
I still run into Cub fans who tell me the '05 Sox were no big deal, flash in the pan, etc. They also tell me that Sox games were empty last year once we were eliminated.

Shows how much they know, since the Sox weren't eliminated from playoff contention until after their last home game was played.

Most Cub fans I know were hiding from me for a long time (especially the programmer here at work).

Fake Chet Lemon
11-10-2006, 01:39 PM
Who cares about attendance and who cares about the Cubs, both irrelevant.

I want a winning team. We won 90 again last year, pretty good. That's all that matters. If there were only 39,000 Sox fans in the entire metro-region and we all showed up every game, fine by me.

TommyJohn
11-10-2006, 02:13 PM
Or possibly if he were writing for this message board, he would have put it in teal?

That is my theory. I believe he wrote that line about "fans being interested
in winning" with tongue-in-cheek.

TDog
11-10-2006, 02:30 PM

I was thinking the same thing, the statement seeming to distill the ridiculous position Sox-fan-baiting Cubs fans are in.

The Sox aren't, or shouldn't be, hated rivals, like the Cards, Brewers and Mets are to the Cubs or the Twins, Yankees and A's are to the Sox. In truth, I wouldn't be a Cubs fan even if the Sox were finishing in last place, the Cubs were getting a victory parade -- and I still lived in the Chicago area. But I wouldn't pretend that for Cubs fans it would be inherently better to be a Sox fan.

If Cubs fans weren't making me suffer (as they always did to Sox fans when I was growing up), I would congratulate them and lament that I would love to see my team win too. Maybe some of the in-your-face attitude Sox fans are expressing to Cubs fans as payback for years of grief prevents such classy behavior.

I try to take the high road, but that might be easier on the West Coast.

soxrme
11-10-2006, 02:31 PM
Really don't get why everyone is bashing the guy. He didn't rip the Sox at all. Sounded like he was commending them for fielding a team that can contend for the next several years at least. I didn't see any shots taken at any players, mgmt, fans etc. Seemed like his main point was that they have made great strides regarding attendance and victories in a fairly short time span. Can't really argue that.
I agree, actually enjoyed reading his column for once. There are a lot of Sox fans as we all know.

lakeviewsoxfan
11-10-2006, 02:41 PM
He did understate the attendance of the parade but all in all I thought it was one of his better articles.

norsepalehoser
11-10-2006, 02:55 PM
Paragraphs please. Thaty was painful

cheezheadsoxfan
11-10-2006, 02:56 PM
That is my theory. I believe he wrote that line about "fans being interested
in winning" with tongue-in-cheek.

That is how I took it also. I also remember an article in the Trib a few years ago (can't remember who wrote it) saying that the number of real fans is about the same for both teams. The Cubs just have more of the "casual" fans.

thomas35forever
11-10-2006, 03:37 PM
Someone at school still brags how the Cubs have won back-to-back World Series and the Sox haven't. I wonder how he celebrated when it happened.

AnkleSox
11-10-2006, 04:22 PM
They also tell me that Sox games were empty last year once we were eliminated.

Considering all of their games after they were eliminated were on the road, I would kind of expect Comiskey to be pretty empty.

edit: looks like its already been said :)

TDog
11-10-2006, 04:26 PM
Someone at school still brags how the Cubs have won back-to-back World Series and the Sox haven't. I wonder how he celebrated when it happened.

Literally no one watched those Cubs championships on television. There weren't even radio stations in the U.S. at the time. One could make the argument that almost no one cared about the Cubs' second and most recent world Series title at the time -- nearly century ago. Mark Twain didn't think the Cubs back-to-back championships were important enough to write about. There is no record of Geronimo requesting permission to travel from Oklahoma to Chicago or even Detroit to see the World Series in 1908.

In fact -- I looked this up -- the game that won the Cubs their second consecutive World Series title also happens to hold the distinction of having the lowest attendance in World Series history. Only 6,210 people paid to see the game.

The number attending the ensuing parade is lost to history.

soxinem1
11-10-2006, 08:27 PM

I saw a lot of cub fans at the parade. They were:

1. Peeing in the alleys.

2. Chanting 'We are still the #1 draw' and 'Who outdrew who?'.

3. Yelling 'Sox suck' like of bunch of immature, sore-losing ***holes.

4. The realists who were crying because their team didn't win were screaming 'You won't win next year because that's when we will win!'

Actually, I'm not sure teal is needed.....