PDA

View Full Version : J.D. Drew opts out of contract

DiGiSyKo
11-09-2006, 09:03 PM
LOS ANGELES -- Los Angeles Dodgers (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=lad) outfielder J.D. Drew (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6117) opted out of the final three years of his contract Thursday, making him an unrestricted free agent.

Link:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2655862

SABRSox
11-09-2006, 09:54 PM
Drew's pissing away $11 million a year for the next 3 years by opting out. While Colletti pretends to be upset, I can't see how this isn't a good thing for the Dodgers. Now they've got some money to go out and get Soriano.

lakeviewsoxfan
11-09-2006, 10:18 PM
It makes you wonder what Boras says to his clients. I mean this guy gets injured every year and is guranteed to make 33 million the next 3 years, is there really a team out there that is going to pay him more than that??

Domeshot17
11-09-2006, 10:30 PM
Yes there is. He will get more money easily. A team like baltimore is going to be very desperate when they lose the soriano and carlos lee race, and someone is going to panic, look at him as a prime time hitter, and throw a paul konerko esque deal at him.

KRS1
11-09-2006, 10:57 PM
Count me as the half of a half of a percent of baseball fans who still likes JD. Maybe he wants to go to a team that has a better shot at winning it all. I know the Dodgers division is weak(that is if the D-Backs still take another year or two to develop their young core of phenoms, and a few more pitchers), and they have as good a shot at getting into the playoffs as anyone because of that, but maybe he doesnt like the direction, management and leadership of the team, and wants to play for a ring now. He's going to be a guy whos counted on to get on base at a really high clip, and Im sure someone will get in a bidding war for him.

buehrle4cy05
11-10-2006, 12:26 AM
I like Drew as a player, but there's no way he's worth more than $11 million per year.

I think Dome was right, however, because some desperate team that missed out on Lee/Soriano will overpay for him.

drewcifer
11-10-2006, 12:35 AM
Count me as the half of a half of a percent of baseball fans who still likes JD. Maybe he wants to go to a team that has a better shot at winning it all. I know the Dodgers division is weak(that is if the D-Backs still take another year or two to develop their young core of phenoms, and a few more pitchers), and they have as good a shot at getting into the playoffs as anyone because of that, but maybe he doesnt like the direction, management and leadership of the team, and wants to play for a ring now. He's going to be a guy whos counted on to get on base at a really high clip, and Im sure someone will get in a bidding war for him.

Did you read this?

$11M? He doesn't "like the direction"?

:rolleyes:

YOU
Maybe he wants to go to a team that has a better shot at winning it all. I know the Dodgers division is weak(that is if the D-Backs still take another year or two to develop their young core of phenoms, and a few more pitchers), and they have as good a shot at getting into the playoffs as anyone because of that, but maybe he doesnt like the direction, management and leadership of the team, and wants to play for a ring now. He's going to be a guy whos counted on to get on base at a really high clip, and Im sure someone will get in a bidding war for him.

Maybe. Who cares. You're getting paid $11M a year. Too much as it is.

And, who the **** is going to court him NOW? And why are you being paid based on what your prosesptive teammates can/might contribute?

Dumb. Dumb post, fan of a dumb man.

JD Drew? Opted Out of his contract? For more?

****!

KRS1
11-10-2006, 01:11 AM
Did you read this?

And, who the **** is going to court him NOW? And why are you being paid based on what your prosesptive teammates can/might contribute?

****!

Wow, ex- girlfriend of his? Seriously, shut up, your post is about as dumb as it gets so stop throwing stones and go crawl back under whatever rock you emerged from. Read my post as it is. He has made a good chunk of change already, and the option was his to make. It's not like he's going to lose out on a huge sum of money by going to a possible title contender. He is 30, and maybe he wants to find himself a suitable home(in a town where he wants to be) for the rest of his career, and wants to strike now that the opportunity arose. You do realize there is a point in an athletes career, where he says to himself, Im not getting any younger and I want something more(A World Series Champion ring). The whole point of my post was that the guy obviously wanted out for one reason or another and IT WAS HIS RIGHT to do so. Its not my place to say what exactly it was, I just put some ideas out there for the possible explanation, but I would venture to say it isnt about money. Believe or not, not everyone thinks the same way as you, and people have different ideas about life and work. H ehas a great opportunity here, to lose little if any money, and work where he wants, in an environment that suits him.

As for these quotes...

"Maybe. Who cares. You're getting paid $11M a year. Too much as it is."

Obviously, he cared. That's all that needs to be said. "Oh my! I may lose a LITTLE money from my already huge bank account($41,091,688 including signing bonus), I better not do something that will make me happy. Ill just stick it out with a team I dont want to play for, and suck it up, even though the opportuinty is mine to leave, and there's a chance I could make even more money in a longer term deal that puts me in my chosen home for the remainder of my career. "

"Whos going to court him now?"

Id be willing to wager just about anything he will find a new team rather easily, and he will be making nearly the same salary. Like I said, a couple million might be in the back of his mind in this decision, he's obviously looking for something more. I feel sorry for you, that you cant see that.

:dumbpeople:

brewcrew/chisox
11-10-2006, 01:19 AM
Did you read this?

****!

Who the **** are you and what made you so angry?

drewcifer
11-10-2006, 02:05 AM
Who the **** are you and what made you so angry?

Nobody at all. JD is overpaid.

Ask anyone.

drewcifer
11-10-2006, 02:12 AM
Wow, ex- girlfriend of his? Seriously, shut up, your post is about as dumb as it gets so stop throwing stones and go crawl back under whatever rock you emerged from. Read my post as it is. He has made a good chunk of change already, and the option was his to make. It's not like he's going to lose out on a huge sum of money by going to a possible title contender. He is 30, and maybe he wants to find himself a suitable home(in a town where he wants to be) for the rest of his career, and wants to strike now that the opportunity arose. You do realize there is a point in an athletes career, where he says to himself, Im not getting any younger and I want something more(A World Series Champion ring). The whole point of my post was that the guy obviously wanted out for one reason or another and IT WAS HIS RIGHT to do so. Its not my place to say what exactly it was, I just put some ideas out there for the possible explanation, but I would venture to say it isnt about money. Believe or not, not everyone thinks the same way as you, and people have different ideas about life and work. H ehas a great opportunity here, to lose little if any money, and work where he wants, in an environment that suits him.

As for these quotes...

"Maybe. Who cares. You're getting paid $11M a year. Too much as it is."

Obviously, he cared. That's all that needs to be said. "Oh my! I may lose a LITTLE money from my already huge bank account($41,091,688 including signing bonus), I better not do something that will make me happy. Ill just stick it out with a team I dont want to play for, and suck it up, even though the opportuinty is mine to leave, and there's a chance I could make even more money in a longer term deal that puts me in my chosen home for the remainder of my career. "

"Whos going to court him now?"

Id be willing to wager just about anything he will find a new team rather easily, and he will be making nearly the same salary. Like I said, a couple million might be in the back of his mind in this decision, he's obviously looking for something more. I feel sorry for you, that you cant see that.

:dumbpeople:

Hit 30. Establish a career. Look up your own name on the internet and get hits.

Then talk about kids, life, re-locating, finding a career, etc. Have a wife.

Oh, and while you're at it, bitch about deserving more than $11M (while you're medicore at best) and tell us how you deserve more than that. Make a case for more..

KRS1
11-10-2006, 02:16 AM

Ask anyone.

:borass:

"Even me?"

For his injury concerns, $11 mil a season was a lot to pay right off the bat, but you are at the mercy of your dumbest competitor, and people bidding for his potential drove up his price. No doubt for what he does when on the field he is easily a 10 million dollar man, and if it wasnt for the injury concerns he'd be worth much more.
Career numbers at nearly 1000 games played...

AVG-.286
OBP-.393
SLG-.512

Id love to have that on my team any day.

chaerulez
11-10-2006, 02:24 AM
While Drew stayed healthy this year, he wasn't so much last year. With the injury prone tag on him and basically being known as a soft player (he has never played more than 150 games in a season), I don't know what GM is going to give him more than the 3 years 33 million he was due. But there are very stupid GMs out there, so you never know.

KRS1
11-10-2006, 02:26 AM
Hit 30. Establish a career. Look up your own name on the internet and get hits.

Then talk about kids, life, re-locating, finding a career, etc. Have a wife.

Oh, and while you're at it, bitch about deserving more than $11M (while you're medicore at best) and tell us how you deserve more than that. Make a case for more..

What????

My life, who I am, and how old I am has absolutely no bearing whatsoever in this conversation. Neither does your backround. It's about where HE is in HIS life, and my commenting on how he obviously wasnt happy, he had a chance to do something about it and he did. How hard is it to see that? You make about as much sense as eating ketchup popsicles whilst wearing white gloves. I dont even know where to go with this. IT IS HIS LIFE, HE CHOSE TO GET OUT FOR SOMETHING ELSE, IT WAS HIS RIGHT. Is there something I missed or our you going to keep on throwing out garbage like this?

MUsoxfan
11-10-2006, 02:30 AM

Ask anyone.

I'll agree. He's an average outfielder that's injury prone. If somebody pays him more than $11m they should be out of a job. I thought $11m was very generous

KRS1
11-10-2006, 02:35 AM
But there are very stupid GMs out there, so you never know.

LAD's own Littlefield may be the dumbest, but there's plenty more to be found, Bavasi, Bowden, and there's always the Wade's, O'Brien's and LaMar's of the world.

drewcifer
11-10-2006, 02:38 AM
What????

My life, who I am, and how old I am has absolutely no bearing whatsoever in this conversation. Neither does your backround. It's about where HE is in HIS life, and my commenting on how he obviously wasnt happy, he had a chance to do something about it and he did. How hard is it to see that? You make about as much sense as eating ketchup popsicles whilst wearing white gloves. I dont even know where to go with this. IT IS HIS LIFE, HE CHOSE TO GET OUT FOR SOMETHING ELSE, IT WAS HIS RIGHT. Is there something I missed or our you going to keep on throwing out garbage like this?

Read the posts that followed....

MUsoxfan
11-10-2006, 02:38 AM
LAD's own Littlefield may be the dumbest, but there's plenty more to be found, Bavasi, Bowden, and there's always the Wade's, O'Brien's and LaMar's of the world.

I'm pretty sure any GM of the Orioles inherently loses brain function and becomes the worst

KRS1
11-10-2006, 02:55 AM
Read the posts that followed....

And your point is????

JD getting 11 mil with his injury problems two years ago was unthinkable to me. I admit it very much that I wouldnt go anywhere near that price. However, the market in baseball involves irrational bidding to attain the player you want. While at his best, JD is worth all of 11 mil, I dont see how that can be refutted. However, Im going off here as none of this was part of any of my initial post. You are just throwing something out there now that really can be denied, even by me, in attempt to feel you have proven something, when you really havent. Seriously, you just need to re-read everything here, sit back for a minute, actually put some thought into it, and realize what I said, and your subsequent rediculous posts that make little to no sense about what I said, rather just insults and other ramblings. Ill just say it again for you, maybe attempt three will get through....

"IT IS HIS LIFE, HE CHOSE TO GET OUT FOR SOMETHING ELSE, IT WAS HIS RIGHT."

You, are trying to make it seem like he is leaving himself bankrupt and not playing out his contract, while in all actuality, he has more than enough money to ever worry about it again, and he is just using the contract given to him to his benefit(whatever benefit he sees). Everything in baseball is always business, and as Borass said it was a "business decision," that doesnt include or disclude anything said here, but like I said he obviously wanted something more, and it is his right. Noone here has the right to call him stupid for walking away from whatever money is on the table for him, as only he knows what he really wants, and undertands his own situation and what else he wants from his career.

KRS1
11-10-2006, 03:01 AM
I'm pretty sure any GM of the Orioles inherently loses brain function and becomes the worst

Indeed. They try so hard though, and more often than not fail misserably. It gets kind of sad. I used to like the O's when I was a kid, and it sucks that they cant get the guys they want, and are forced to overpay for leftover scraps.

drewcifer
11-10-2006, 03:17 AM
Yeah, that's what happens....

KRS1
11-10-2006, 03:26 AM
Yeah, that's what happens....

Im assuming that sarcasm, so please feel free to enlighten us with your very different and other interesting views on the subject. But asking for you to answer anything directly is like asking asking a car salesman if you should upgrade to the luxory package.

drewcifer
11-10-2006, 03:29 AM
Im assuming that sarcasm, so please feel free to enlighten us with your very different and other interesting views on the subject. But asking for you to answer anything directly is like asking asking a car salesman if you should upgrade to the luxory package.

That's a fair request - I hope we can be buds later; you make it hard to like you:

I don't have a different or enlightend view on JD Drew. Everyone but YOU KNOWs HE SUCKS AND IS PAID TOO MUCH MONEY.

I guess that's it.

KRS1
11-10-2006, 03:40 AM
Everyone but YOU KNOWs HE SUCKS AND IS PAID TOO MUCH MONEY.

I have admitted both that I am in the very small percentage of baseball fans who likes him, Ive also admitted his last contract was a joke for his injury history. However, I dont think many people will honestly agree with you that he sucks, no matter how they dislike him. Seriously, there's not many people in the game who have all his tools and put them together to be a succesful ballplayer. If consistantly hitting around .300 while having around a .900 OPS,and playing some mighty fine D sucks, then I can only imagine what you think about just about every player on the Sox. Seriously, when he's on the field, he is a stud. So far his injured to healthy season are four to four, so staying on the field is the one big problem everybody has with him. I doubt many people here or around the baseball world can look you in the eyes, and say he sucks with complete honesty and an unbiased opinion.

KRS1
11-10-2006, 03:49 AM
Everyone but YOU KNOWs HE SUCKS AND IS PAID TOO MUCH MONEY.

I have admitted both that I am in the very small percentage of baseball fans who likes him, Ive also admitted his last contract was a joke for his injury history. However, I dont think many people will honestly agree with you that he sucks, no matter how they dislike him. Seriously, there's not many people in the game who have all his tools and put them together to be a succesful ballplayer. If consistantly hitting around .300 while having around a .900 OPS sucks, then I can only imagine what you think about just about every player on the Sox. Seriously, when he's on the field, he is a stud. So far his injured to healthy season are four to four, so staying on the field is the one problme everybody has with him. I doubt many people here or around the baseball world can look you in the eyes, and say he sucks with complete honesty and an unbiased opinion.

you make it hard to like you:

Yeah, see that happens when you insult someones post by calling it dumb, in a post that lacks anything that remotely resembles intelligent, or respectful conversation. To be respected you first must be respectful, and respectable.

balke
11-10-2006, 04:46 AM
Its going to be an interesting offseason this time. I don't see Drew making a long contract for more money, but 12 mil. next season or more could happen for him. If he goes to a smaller park and hits more Hr's, maybe he makes even more money the next. I think he lost money due to his injury history, but I still can see a scenario where he makes even more money on a better team.

Hagan
11-10-2006, 12:36 PM
JD Drew will get more than $11 million. He is so good and put up really good numbers in the least friendly hitters park in baseball. He has great plate patience and a nice amount of power. His impressive stats last year would probably be better if he was in a smaller stadium.

CWSpalehoseCWS
11-10-2006, 12:50 PM
I didn't expect this: http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&filter_teams=N&id=2693

Supposedly the White Sox have interest in him?

The Immigrant
11-10-2006, 01:30 PM
I didn't expect this: http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&filter_teams=N&id=2693

Supposedly the White Sox have interest in him?

$10 says that "baseball source" was Scott Borass trying to drive up his client's market value.

People, get ready for some ridiculous contracts to be signed during this off-season. Baseball is flush with new revenues and even the smaller market teams have revenue sharing money to spend. J.D. Drew will get a 5/60 deal without a problem, maybe even 4/60. Get ready for some insanity.

lakeviewsoxfan
11-10-2006, 01:31 PM
Not going to happen... I hope

soxinem1
11-10-2006, 01:42 PM
I'll agree. He's an average outfielder that's injury prone. If somebody pays him more than $11m they should be out of a job. I thought $11m was very generous

I agree. The Dodgers made the mistake of giving him the same dumb contract they gave Darren Dreifort. They should be electrified of his decision, and let him walk.

Colletti is probably real happy deep down, he's pretty crafty when it comes to making trades. Freeing up $33 million for a guy like Drew without having to give up anyone is a nice little year end present. It sure beat having to get raked by the team they would have been looking to trade him to in August 2007.

StillMissOzzie
11-10-2006, 03:46 PM
Both JD Drew and Aramis Ramirez have some interesting parallels, in that they both have these Christmas gift "opt-out" clauses in their contracts, and both are gonna test the FA waters because $11M isn't enough for them (Ramirez for 2 more years, Drew for 3 more years). Also, both have some excess luggage to bear, in that Drew is widely considered injury prone and Ramirez has earned a reputation (per B & B, anyhow) for dogging it, as well as some injury problems.

I think that any more GM's that include these opt-out clauses ought to have their heads examined. OF COURSE the player is gonna test the market, they wouldn't get the clause in the contract if they didn't intend on doing so, regardless of the lip service they pay about wanting to stay with their existing teams.

I think that any GM that would give raises to guys like Drew & Ramirez are crazy, but sadly enough, someone will.

Bill Veeck had it right when he complained about the high price of mediocrity.

SMO
:gulp:

Iguana775
11-10-2006, 04:17 PM
If healthy, he's a good ball player. but his problem is staying healthy.

jabrch
11-10-2006, 11:40 PM
I hope we stay FAR away from Drew. He's a complete piece of crap in the clubhouse. Nobody ever has had anything good to say about him if they look at anything other than avg/obp/slg. He's always hurt. He's a chronic bitcher. He's a stathound. He's a bad teammate. He's always hurt. Fans don't like him. He's a dick. He's always hurt.

That's about it...

Domeshot17
11-10-2006, 11:58 PM
My JD Drew Prediction

4 years 50 million

Boston Red Sox

Between him and Manny, they get a gull 162 game season

StillMissOzzie
11-11-2006, 01:24 AM
I hope we stay FAR away from Drew. He's a complete piece of crap in the clubhouse. Nobody ever has had anything good to say about him if they look at anything other than avg/obp/slg. He's always hurt. He's a chronic bitcher. He's a stathound. He's a bad teammate. He's always hurt. Fans don't like him. He's a dick. He's always hurt.

That's about it...

Let me get this straight...you're saying he's injury prone?

SMO
:D:

SABRSox
11-11-2006, 02:26 PM
My JD Drew Prediction

4 years 50 million

Boston Red Sox

A full season? That might be a stretch. Drew has been known to keep himself out of games if he had a hangnail. He even puts it into his contract that he has the right to pull himself out of any game for any reason.

Fenway
11-13-2006, 04:45 PM
My JD Drew Prediction

4 years 50 million

Boston Red Sox

you maybe right
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2006/11/the_buzz_around.html

NAPLES, Fla. -- GMs from both the AL and NL, dressed in flowered tropical bowling shirts, just departed for their bowling tournament down the road. Theo Epstein wore a yellow tropical design and seemed nervous because he hadn't bowled 10-pin for a while, being a Bostonian and used to candlepin like the rest of us.

The buzz around the meetings, though uncomfirmed, is that J.D. Drew is the player the Red Sox have offered a free-agent contract to. Sox officials did not deny that Drew is the one.

Drew's agent, Scott Boras, and his entourage have arrived in Naples. Epstein told the Globe that he had made a free-agent offer to a player but would not reveal his identity.

DaveIsHere
11-13-2006, 05:06 PM
you maybe right
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2006/11/the_buzz_around.html

NAPLES, Fla. -- GMs from both the AL and NL, dressed in flowered tropical bowling shirts, just departed for their bowling tournament down the road. Theo Epstein wore a yellow tropical design and seemed nervous because he hadn't bowled 10-pin for a while, being a Bostonian and used to candlepin like the rest of us.

The buzz around the meetings, though uncomfirmed, is that J.D. Drew is the player the Red Sox have offered a free-agent contract to. Sox officials did not deny that Drew is the one.

Drew's agent, Scott Boras, and his entourage have arrived in Naples. Epstein told the Globe that he had made a free-agent offer to a player but would not reveal his identity.

Sox Officials!!!! Fenway please educate these people that they are not the Sox, they are the RED SOX!!!!! SHEESH!!!

palehozenychicty
11-13-2006, 05:10 PM
A full season? That might be a stretch. Drew has been known to keep himself out of games if he had a hangnail. He even puts it into his contract that he has the right to pull himself out of any game for any reason.

If this is true that the Sawx will get Drew, then Kenny needs to make a play for Crisp. When healthy, he can put up Pods numbers at minimum, plays better D, and would come much cheaper than Crawford.

I mean, why not a young Indian?

SABRSox
11-13-2006, 06:04 PM
If this is true that the Sawx will get Drew, then Kenny needs to make a play for Crisp. When healthy, he can put up Pods numbers at minimum, plays better D, and would come much cheaper than Crawford.

I mean, why not a young Indian?

Crisp is due $3.5 mil in '07, $4.75 mil in '08, $5.75 mil in '09, and has a club option for $8 mil in '10. He's not any cheaper than Pods. He's more. And we'd have to trade for him, and the last asking price was, I believe, Mark Buerhle. I don't think so.