PDA

View Full Version : Lonnie Smith/John Schuerholz vendetta

PKalltheway
11-09-2006, 05:18 PM
This is a powerful read. To sum it up quickly, Lonnie Smith once comtemplated killing GM John Schuerholz.:o: Read this article, you will not be disappointed.
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/15952649.htm

Edit: For those of you who don't know who Lonnie Smith is, he was an important cog for three different World Series teams in the 1980's and early 1990's.

JungleJimR
11-10-2006, 02:42 PM
Thanks much for the heads up on this article - This is really something incredible to a Braves fan.
I was relocated to Atlanta in 1989 and my neighbor talked me into going to see a Braves game at old Fulton County Stadium. He said that the team had some really interesting young pitchers (Glavine, Smoltz, and Avery) and that he thought there was potential in the team even though they lost over 100 games.
Well, it was difficult in '89 and '90, especially when the Cubs came to town and the awful Cub fans would outdraw the laid back Brave fans.
We had season tickets in '91 when the Twins and Braves had a wonderful series (The 'last to First" teams). Lonnie Smith was a key player on that team as Schuelhoz melded veterans like Sid Bream and Terry Pendleton with a young, starting pitching staff.
While still more of a Sox fan, I think that National league ball is still the only real baseball.