PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox plan to eliminate tickets

Fenway
11-09-2006, 03:47 PM
The Red Sox are on the verge of becoming the first MLB team to eliminate tickets in favor of a smartcard system.

Season ticket holders would be issued a card with the tickets loaded on to them and then would have to contact the team if they planned to give tickets to somebody else.

Non season ticket holders would be given cards for per game sales.

The Red Sox claim this system is in use by several soccer teams in the UK and works well.

Can't wait to see how scalpers and brokers get around this.

SouthSide_HitMen
11-09-2006, 04:01 PM
The Red Sox are on the verge of becomming the first MLB team to eliminate tickets in favor of a smartcard system.

Season ticket holders would be issued a card with the tickets loaded on to them and then would have to contact the team if they planned to give tickets to somebody else.

The Red Sox claim this system is in use by several soccer teams in the UK and works well.

This sucks for the companies who give tickets to clients as well as groups of fans who pool together and split up season ticket packages which I would think add up to a significant portion of season ticket sales.

Footy teams play a few home games per month so the comparison is not the same IMO (EPL teams play 19 home games a season plus a few extra games for the UEFA, FA Cup, Carling Cup, etc.).

:puking: http://www.dailynexus.com/story_images/2005-04-14/fever-pitch-feature.jpg "We go to every game."

NardiWasHere
11-09-2006, 04:06 PM
The Red Sox are on the verge of becomming the first MLB team to eliminate tickets in favor of a smartcard system.

Would the card be like a picture ID? Why would you need to contact the team if someone else wanted to use the card if it wasn't? This just sounds strange. I wonder if this is the future of sporting events.

mwc44
11-09-2006, 04:06 PM
What a nightmare that would be for those of us in full 81 game "Season Ticket Partnerships." One would have to believe that the Boston season tix holders who are in a similar situation will be having the same concern.

81 "Smartcards?" Why not just keep the tickets? 1 "Smartcard" bouncing between partners... having to go between 5-8 people during one home stand... OVERNIGHT? Doesn't sound like a good idea (or very "smart") to me.

Fenway
11-09-2006, 04:07 PM
This sucks for the companies who give tickets to clients as well as groups of fans who pool together and split up season ticket packages which I would think add up to a significant portion of season ticket sales.

Footy teams play a few home games per month so the comparison is not the same IMO (EPL teams play 19 home games a season plus a few extra games for the UEFA, FA Cup, Carling Cup, etc

Looking at the teamcard site in the UK it appears that not only do they store the season ticket on the card but users can also build loyalty points.

https://www.teamcard.co.uk/teamcard/index.php

I have no doubt the Red Sox are trying to get an ironclad grip on ticket distrubution and force season ticket holders to use their Replay system to unload unwanted tickets.

Maybe SoxEd knows more on how this works in the UK

chisoxmike
11-09-2006, 04:13 PM
Damn, I hope our Sox dont pull this. There's something about having a ticket to each game. I have saved every single ticket from every game I've been to. It would be a shame to start having a plastic card to zap you through the gates. :(:

Fenway
11-09-2006, 04:26 PM
Damn, I hope our Sox dont pull this. There's something about having a ticket to each game. I have saved every single ticket from every game I've been to. It would be a shame to start having a plastic card to zap you through the gates. :(:

more I read about this the less I like it

http://www.evertonfc.com/assets/images/site_elements/tickets/teamcard/card_instructions.gif

http://www.evertonfc.com/tickets/seasoncard.html?mode=stadiumaccess

Looks like you can link your credit card to the ticket card and then buy your concessions using the card.

Kub_Killer_15
11-09-2006, 04:57 PM
That is a horrible idea. When something comes up at the last second and you cant make it to the game you give your tickets away but this will make it a lot harder.

jamokes
11-09-2006, 07:50 PM
So much for collecting ticket stubs.......scalpers would hate something like the come Super Bowl time if it works.

Brian26
11-09-2006, 08:46 PM
The Red Sox are on the verge of becoming the first MLB team to eliminate tickets in favor of a smartcard system.

Without knowing all the details, this sounds like it could be a nightmare for some people. What about the average two or three guys who split an 81-game package and end up having to sell seven or eight games to friends or on Ebay during the course of the season? I guess this is a bonafide way to eliminate scalping altogether, but it means the average fan might have to eat a few games every season.

BA: The Hitman
11-09-2006, 08:52 PM
Wow, that sounds just plain awful. I think that this would be a disaster for the red sox and/or any other teams that try a system like this. I wonder what the reason behind this is......is it really that expensive to print out the tickets???

Brian26
11-09-2006, 08:59 PM
Wow, that sounds just plain awful. I think that this would be a disaster for the red sox and/or any other teams that try a system like this. I wonder what the reason behind this is......is it really that expensive to print out the tickets???

I think Fenway touched on the reason. The ultimate goal is to funnel profits back into the Red Sox organization. They're trying to eliminate scalpers, and they're trying to eliminate average people from selling tickets for a huge profit on Ebay. I don't know much about the "Replay Program" Fenway mentioned, but I'm guessing it's similar to the White Sox ticket exchange, where essentially the Sox have control over how the tickets are being sold and get a small cut of the re-sale value.

DumpJerry
11-09-2006, 09:07 PM
Why not go the route of Jewel food stores and use thumb prints?

Oblong
11-09-2006, 09:15 PM
So I guess in 40 years we'll be talking about the "good old days" when we had paper tickets to each individual game.

I bet this doesn't take off. It sounds very inconvenient and if the season ticket holders, especially the full season, complain enough they'll go back to tickets.

I love getting the Fed Ex package every year with my book of tickets. It's like Christmas. I take them out, pair them up nice and neat, draw out a distribution chart... it's a very elaborate, but warming process in mid March. Much better than something with a Visa logo on it that fits in my wallet next to my never used Health Club membership.

There's just something cool about having the tickets in hand for the game. It's a small thrill. "Got the tickets?"

Frater Perdurabo
11-09-2006, 10:29 PM
I'm going to express the contrarian position here: I think the benefits outweigh the potential problems.

I prefer that all the money I spend on tickets go straight to the team (thereby helping to augment payroll), not some douche-bag middle man (whether an individual or a POS corporation like Ticketmaster).

Want to split a season ticket plan? Then order multiple cards for the account and program which games go with each person's card. If plans change, then trade using an online account management tool.

With the growing prevalence of the web on phones, PDAs, etc., it will become increasingly simple to transfer your "ticket" to that night's game back to the pool that then could be re-sold (thereby crediting your account), or even instantly transferred to a friend/family member who also has a card.

thomas35forever
11-09-2006, 10:38 PM
That sucks. Ticket stubs are worth something if they're from a significant sporting event. Sadly, this might eventually be the only thing used in the future.

jabrch
11-10-2006, 12:09 AM
I use them for work. I have 8 tickets for the 27 game weeknight package that I give out to different employees every day. This would make that impossible, right? I'd have to cancel those tickets. For my personal ones, I have 4 full season tickets, but I split it with 3 other people. Different people go to different games. Some of my partners use them for business also. I can't imagine this would fly with season ticket holders.

ewokpelts
11-10-2006, 06:43 AM
I think Fenway touched on the reason. The ultimate goal is to funnel profits back into the Red Sox organization. They're trying to eliminate scalpers, and they're trying to eliminate average people from selling tickets for a huge profit on Ebay. I don't know much about the "Replay Program" Fenway mentioned, but I'm guessing it's similar to the White Sox ticket exchange, where essentially the Sox have control over how the tickets are being sold and get a small cut of the re-sale value.AND the money YOU make never leaves 333 w 35th street...you HAVE to use it on sox tickets.....
yes..replay is like the ticket exchange.....

itsnotrequired
11-10-2006, 08:10 AM
I'm going to express the contrarian position here: I think the benefits outweigh the potential problems.

I prefer that all the money I spend on tickets go straight to the team (thereby helping to augment payroll), not some douche-bag middle man (whether an individual or a POS corporation like Ticketmaster).

Want to split a season ticket plan? Then order multiple cards for the account and program which games go with each person's card. If plans change, then trade using an online account management tool.

With the growing prevalence of the web on phones, PDAs, etc., it will become increasingly simple to transfer your "ticket" to that night's game back to the pool that then could be re-sold (thereby crediting your account), or even instantly transferred to a friend/family member who also has a card.

If you can order multiple cards for those that split plans, it should work out no problem. Holders would have access to an online account that would let them transfer tickets to the other cards. For those that go to the games, it shouldn't be a problem.

I imagine the e-mail ticket option for resale will need to remain in place. How else could one sell tickets on the Exchange?

The idea of being allowed to purchase concessions or items in the gift shop on the card is excellent as would be a "rewards program" for those that spend a lot of money in the park.

thedudeabides
11-10-2006, 08:29 AM
I love getting the Fed Ex package every year with my book of tickets. It's like Christmas. I take them out, pair them up nice and neat, draw out a distribution chart... it's a very elaborate, but warming process in mid March. Much better than something with a Visa logo on it that fits in my wallet next to my never used Health Club membership.

There's just something cool about having the tickets in hand for the game. It's a small thrill. "Got the tickets?"

That makes me want to get season tickets. :smile:

Scottiehaswheels
11-10-2006, 08:31 AM
Ok, this is gonna sound like a dumb question but do they print the seat number/section number on the card? Otherwise it'd be a chaotic mess... How could you prove the seat is rightfully yours? I think this would also be a nightmare to use with as bad as it gets at the Red Line stop at 35th and considering thats maybe 1/4-1/2 of all game attendance... I can only imagine how bad it'll be to get into the park when the full attendance has to use an entry card...

mwc44
11-10-2006, 08:44 AM
What a nightmare that would be for those of us in full 81 game "Season Ticket Partnerships." One would have to believe that the Boston season tix holders who are in a similar situation will be having the same concern.

81 "Smartcards?" Why not just keep the tickets? 1 "Smartcard" bouncing between partners... having to go between 5-8 people during one home stand... OVERNIGHT? Doesn't sound like a good idea (or very "smart") to me.

Another thought: What's next? Gates on the parking lots and an I-Pass type transmitter to get in?

"Who's got the ticket card? Who's got the parking box?"

Geeeeez... sometimes, it's best to just leave well enough alone!

itsnotrequired
11-10-2006, 09:54 AM
Ok, this is gonna sound like a dumb question but do they print the seat number/section number on the card? Otherwise it'd be a chaotic mess... How could you prove the seat is rightfully yours? I think this would also be a nightmare to use with as bad as it gets at the Red Line stop at 35th and considering thats maybe 1/4-1/2 of all game attendance... I can only imagine how bad it'll be to get into the park when the full attendance has to use an entry card...

The seat number would need to be on the card. Also, I can't imagine it being any slower than right now. Everyone has to stop and have someone scan their ticket. How would touching a magnetic card be slower?

The difference between the CTA stop and the turnstyles is that at the turnstyles, people walk up to the gate wit the tickets in their hand; they know they will need to use them. At the CTA stations, some people stand in line and then fumble around in their pockets looking for their card once they get to the turnstyle. Why wasn't the card in your hand the whole time? Did you forget that you would be needing to use it?:rolleyes:

itsnotrequired
11-10-2006, 09:58 AM
Another thought: What's next? Gates on the parking lots and an I-Pass type transmitter to get in?

"Who's got the ticket card? Who's got the parking box?"

Geeeeez... sometimes, it's best to just leave well enough alone!

"Who's got the tickets? Who's got the parking pass?"

No difference...

SouthSide_HitMen
11-10-2006, 10:05 AM
"Who's got the tickets? Who's got the parking pass?"

No difference...

Not everyone can attend 81 games. :rolleyes: :tongue: :D:

Myrtle72
11-10-2006, 10:23 AM

Yeah, there's something special about being able to save your ticket stubs, especially from playoff games or games that turn out to be really exciting for one reason or another. A plastic card just wouldn't be the same.

itsnotrequired
11-10-2006, 10:24 AM
Not everyone can attend 81 games. :rolleyes: :tongue: :D:

It doesn't matter if you go to 1 game or 81 games, you still need to bring a ticket to the game. What's the difference if its a "real" ticket, an e-mail printout or a touchcard? Same deal with parking...

soxtalker
11-10-2006, 11:43 AM
Looks like the A's may do something similar when they move into their new park, based on this NYT article (http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/sports/AP-BBO-Stadium-Technology.html) (registration required).

Fenway
11-10-2006, 12:41 PM
Looks like the A's may do something similar when they move into their new park, based on this NYT article (http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/sports/AP-BBO-Stadium-Technology.html) (registration required).

WEEI talked to the Red Sox ticket director and he said the team hopes to have it in place for 2007 but it is more likely 2008 with a soft rollout coming this season.

russ99
11-10-2006, 04:28 PM
In Europe, where they use this system for big-name soccer teams, you have to pay an extra "Ticket Club" fee for to buy tickets and to get the ticket card. This seems much more an excuse to charge more for tickets without raising prices. Kind of like an additional "Personal Seat License" charge.

It would put scalpers out of business, though, so maybe it's a good thing...

roylestillman
11-10-2006, 09:43 PM
This is just stupid. Does any team really think that if you buy four season tickets that the same four people go to every game together? I'mnot going though the ticket exchange to my ticket to my brother or co-worker. And yes I do keep all my stubs.