PDA

View Full Version : Lugo, Pierre, and Catalanoto

Chw2007
11-08-2006, 11:07 PM
These 3 guys would be great additions to the 07 sox. lugo is way better than uribe on offense, he can actually hit for average and he can swipe bags. on defense he's not shaby. Pierre on the other hand will replace podsednik who i think has ran himself out of town. pierre will stay healthy, can play better defense (although his arm sucks just like pods) and can swipe more bags. Then Catalanoto can play Left as a platoon role with brian anderson, ryan sweeney, or josh fields with catalanoto getting most of the AB's because he's lefthanded. i'd feel real strong with this white sox team if we can get 2 of 3 or maybe all of them. along with some bullpen help and maybe a trade of garcia or vazquez. if this does happen kenny will have an offseason like he did in '05. picking up good role players instead of big expensive players like he did last yr.

Standing Ovation
11-08-2006, 11:10 PM
Lugo is a wife beating POS. No thanks.

lakeviewsoxfan
11-08-2006, 11:17 PM
I'll take my chances with Uribe over Lugo any day. Catalanatto is already on our squad his name is Mack, Pierre I would take in a heartbeat even if his OBP is less thanm desirable the guy had over 200 hits last year.

Oh I forgot whats the score??

chisoxmike
11-08-2006, 11:17 PM
No, no, and no.

And, what's the score today?

IlliniSox4Life
11-08-2006, 11:19 PM
These 3 guys would be great additions to the 07 sox. lugo is way better than uribe on offense, he can actually hit for average and he can swipe bags. on defense he's not shaby. Pierre on the other hand will replace podsednik who i think has ran himself out of town. pierre will stay healthy, can play better defense (although his arm sucks just like pods) and can swipe more bags. Then Catalanoto can play Left as a platoon role with brian anderson, ryan sweeney, or josh fields with catalanoto getting most of the AB's because he's lefthanded. i'd feel real strong with this white sox team if we can get 2 of 3 or maybe all of them. along with some bullpen help and maybe a trade of garcia or vazquez. if this does happen kenny will have an offseason like he did in '05. picking up good role players instead of big expensive players like he did last yr.

Welcome to WSI!

Just to let you know, threads with speculation about who you think should be on the Sox, or pretty much any speculation at all, are put in the "Whats the Score" forum. The Clubhouse is mainly for Sox news and things that are concrete.

And regarding Kenny's offseason, last year he picked up quite a few role players. Mackowiak, Cintron, Thornton, and plenty of other guys who weren't "big expensive players" were added. I'm sure Thome/Vazquez are the guys you refer to, and we got them at a discount. If we can trade for someone who will have the impact Thome did at the start of the season and make only 6-7 million a year, I'll do it in a heart beat.

Domeshot17
11-08-2006, 11:33 PM
whats the score dude

and to respond

i personally think all 3 are upgrades, upgrades=better players= better team= do it

however, sounds like boston is going to throw huge money at lugo

FedEx227
11-08-2006, 11:36 PM
Um Lugo isn't that much better than Uribe

We already have Frank his name is Rob Mack

and Juan Pierre is awful, he has a rubber arm and can't get on base with anything besides a hit. No thank you.

Domeshot17
11-08-2006, 11:40 PM
to further explain my thoughts here

I think lugo plus pierre is a great move.

It puts 2 speedy guys hitting 1-2, slides iguchi to 6 or 7 to break up the all or nothing, clogjammer, no speed guys we have. I like Frank because he is a big compliment to the bench, much like Mack.

However, with Ozzie making the lineup, Frank would probably be penciled in to play a lot of 2b and SS

FedEx227
11-08-2006, 11:42 PM
Um Pierre leading off... I'd rather not. People look way too far into the amount of hits he got. Hits are great and fantastic, but his OBP indicates that those 200 hits are about ALL he did. He doesn't get on-base via the walk and I just don't think you can justify him leading off under those conditions. The job of your lead-off man is to get on-base plain and simple, and Juan doesn't do that effectively.

Speed in itself is nothing. There are plently of speedy guys who aren't great base-stealers. SBs are all about timing. While I can't disagree with Pierre having speed, there are plenty of guys with equal speed and better ability to get on base. *cough* Carl Crawford *cough*

We don't even need to delve into his awful defense. He brings nothing to the table besides the occassional SportsCenter Top 10. His arm makes Scott Podsednik look like Vladmir Guerrero.

Let's not.

KRS1
11-08-2006, 11:53 PM
I dont see the hate for Lugo, before his trade to a part time/utility role in LA, he was tearing it up. Even his worst season doesnt compare to how poorly Juan hit and got on base the last two season. He knows how to steal a base pretty well too. If he wasnt sure to get overpayed big time, most likely by Boston, then Id be more than happy with him.

The others Ill pass one, especially Cat, dude sucks.

chisoxmike
11-09-2006, 12:31 AM
I'd rather have Uribe's glove. The only way I get rid of Uribe is if somehow, the Sox can pull off a trade for Michael Young. Otherwise, keep Juan Uribe. You won't find a much better shortstop than him.

Pierre is no more of an upgrade over Podsednik.

Catalanoto is a weak defensive player. Pass.

You NEVER sacrifice defense for offense.

That's what Ozzie did too much this season with Mackowiak over Anderson, and Cintron over Uribe. Maybe if our pitching staff held their end of the bargain, Ozzie wouldn't have had to make those moves.

ondafarm
11-09-2006, 12:52 AM
While not saying these guys have no value but none of them are very complete players. I wouldn't count them as anything more than role players, and I doubt they come at role player cost.

spiffie
11-09-2006, 12:55 AM
Catalanatto is already on our squad his name is Mack
That is not even close to accurate.

Catalanatto career #'s: 297/362/454/816
Mackowiak career #'s: 262/333/413/746

Keep Mack around as an infield utility guy and backup corner outfielder, and put Catalanatto in LF. And then commence with hunting down someone who might be able to get on base more than Uribe, which for 2006 would comprise every single full-time player in the AL.

cburns
11-09-2006, 02:23 AM
uribe is a world champion shortstop

getonbckthr
11-09-2006, 03:04 AM
So was Alex Gonzalez, Pokey Reese, Tony Womack, and Jeff Blauser.

Grzegorz
11-09-2006, 06:01 AM
No to Lugo... (Uribe hopefully will be back and Cintron is capable)

No to Pierre and his rubber arm and unimpressive OBP in CF

No to Catalanatto (why him when we have a solid bench)?

The Chicago White Sox need speed and pitching; speed to get on base to disrupt a defense (someone in the middle of the order that can run would help greatly too), two starters (I am counting McCarthy as one of the two), and an upgrade in the bullpen.

Hangar18
11-09-2006, 09:16 AM
Pierre I would take in a heartbeat even if his OBP is less thanm desirable the guy had over 200 hits last year.

Pierre did that in the National League. His average would take a big hit in the AL. no thanks

Domeshot17
11-09-2006, 10:05 AM
I sometimes think The AL/NL thing is a bit redudant. I know it is a valid point, but Pierre played in a division that had Clemens Pettite Oswalt Carpenter Suppan Mulder Arroyo and more. I think pitchers benefiet more from the NL then hitters do.

I would even go as far to argue that Pierre would have more hits and a better OBP in the AL, because he would have some protection in the 9 hole, not a pitcher (although Im sure some NL teams got more production from their pitchers then we did BA last year haha)

Ol' No. 2
11-09-2006, 10:49 AM
I'll take my chances with Uribe over Lugo any day. Catalanatto is already on our squad his name is Mack, Pierre I would take in a heartbeat even if his OBP is less thanm desirable the guy had over 200 hits last year.

Oh I forgot whats the score??I'm sooo sick of this "Pierre lead the major leagues in hits" bull****. It took him almost 700 AB to do it. He also lead the major leagues in outs.

DaleJRFan
11-09-2006, 11:33 AM
I'm sooo sick of this "Pierre lead the major leagues in hits" bull****. It took him almost 700 AB to do it. He also lead the major leagues in outs.

:roflmao:
Dammit. Stop doing this. I just spit rootbeer all over my laptop.

SABRSox
11-09-2006, 11:45 AM
We don't want Lugo. That guy was so unmotivated during his time in LA. You'd think you'd be more motivated after you left Tampa Bay, but with him it was the opposite.

Pass on Lugo, pass on Catalanotto, and pass on Pierre.

mjmcend
11-09-2006, 11:53 AM

RINGS!!!!!!11!!!!!!! BABY> HE GOT RINGSS!!!1

Domeshot17
11-09-2006, 11:55 AM
I think Lugo is kind of like the Cedric Benson of the mlb. Gets a bad rap for things and sometimes are deserved and sometimes not. Part of the reason he was so unmotivated in LA was he was clearly a starting calibur player who was brought in to sit on the bench.

I think Lugo would thrive on the white sox. PLaying under former all star SS OZzie Guillen, who may not manage games entirely well, but is great at motivating his players because he understands them. If anyone can get the most out of the guy it is Ozzie.

Uribe looked very unmotivated this year also. How quickly we forget his hot dog errors on pop ups, lack of hustle on the bases, complete lack of presence or a clue at the plate, swinging wildly and popping up many at bats on the first or 2nd pitch when we needed a base runner, and his lack luster throws to 1b which had a strong tendancy to be in the dirt, over Konerko's head, down the line etc. I think we over rate Uribe's D for what he did in the world series. I think he has a great SS with his glove, but I don't think the move to lugo would hurt us all that much defensively, especially for the major addition he would be offensively.

I guess I look at SS as a bigger need then I do LF. Atleast Pods has a chance of regaining his burst and his 290 average. Uribe has no discipline and no approach at the plate. He does not understand situational hitting.

FedEx227
11-09-2006, 01:32 PM
I'm sooo sick of this "Pierre lead the major leagues in hits" bull****. It took him almost 700 AB to do it. He also lead the major leagues in outs.

Thank you.

200 hits is great, but when you only walked 32 times you got on base 232 times

Compare that with Pods who had 137 hits, 54 walks, 191 times on base.

Okay, so Pierre got on base 41 more times.

Weeeeeellll... Pierre had 703 at-bats, Pods had 528... or 175 less chances.

200 hits doesn't seem so impressive does it?

JB98
11-09-2006, 01:48 PM
No, no, and no.

And, what's the score today?

Great post.

Cuck_The_Fubs
11-11-2006, 02:44 PM

Ya but can he get on base for god fricken sake?:angry:

russ99
11-12-2006, 01:07 PM
Catalonotto and Pierre are not upgrades to what we already have. The idea is to get better, and not spend huge free agent dollars just to replace what we already have for cheap.

Throw out this year's (hopefully a fluke) bad hitting numbers this season for Uribe and he's a better hitter than Lugo, and a vastly superior defender. No thanks. Also, see the above statement on Lugo... :D:

That said, if we're going to replace Uribe, I'd go with Michael Young and bat him leadoff. Then move Pods or his replacement (Dave Roberts anyone?) to the bottom of the order.

spiffie
11-13-2006, 10:41 AM
Catalonotto and Pierre are not upgrades to what we already have. The idea is to get better, and not spend huge free agent dollars just to replace what we already have for cheap.

Throw out this year's (hopefully a fluke) bad hitting numbers this season for Uribe and he's a better hitter than Lugo, and a vastly superior defender. No thanks. Also, see the above statement on Lugo... :D:
First, Juan was not a vastly superior defender to anyone last year. He had a decent, above-average season, but he wasn't exactly Ozzie Smith minus the backflips.

Secondly, why would we ignore last year's numbers when they are not that far from Juan's entire career numbers? This is a guy who had one good year and a bunch of mediocre to awful years. His career line is 258/297/433. For his entire career, 6 seasons, 726 games, the guy is an out over 70% of the time. Last year was not a fluke for Juan, which is the scary thing. His plate discipline was absolutely awful, with 13 walks in almost 500 plate appearances. Now, before the accusations of my dreaming of Billy Beane at night come my way, I don't think walks are the end-all, be-all of baseball. But anyone who watched Juan play last year on a regular basis saw him swing at a staggering number of ****ty pitches.