PDA

View Full Version : Indians trade for Josh Barfield

DiGiSyKo
11-08-2006, 03:56 PM
The Padres have ignited the hot-stove season Wednesday, trading second baseman Josh Barfield to the Indians for highly regarded Triple-A third baseman Kevin Kouzmanoff and Triple-A pitcher Andrew Brown.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/padres/20061108-1046-bn9padtrade.html

and...

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061108&content_id=1737056&vkey=news_cle&fext=.jsp&c_id=cle

munchman33
11-08-2006, 04:08 PM
That's a really nice pickup for the tribe.

JUribe1989
11-08-2006, 04:29 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. What the hell are the Padres thinking? Barfield is a stud and the Indians now have a replacement for Ronnie Belliard who is already a much better hitter and most certainly an adequate fielder. They thought they had to stick with Luna, and they end up getting Barfield? That is unreal. Excellent move by the Tribe.

goon
11-08-2006, 04:30 PM
yeah, barfield is solid, but anyone know anything about the two minor league players they got for him? they might show promise.

edit: the numbers on kouz say a lot, i think i know why they made the trade.

palehozenychicty
11-08-2006, 04:30 PM
That's a really nice pickup for the tribe.

It is a good move.

Lip Man 1
11-08-2006, 05:25 PM
Incredible move by Cleveland. They give up a top prospect sure but we all know how dicey those are don't we? Cleveland gets a young kid who seems to have it all...speed, a good bat and range.

San Diego either has another deal on the table or a can't miss second baseman of their own waiting in the wings...if they don't they are incredibly stupid.

Damn...and to a division rival to boot!

:angry:

Lip

soxinem1
11-08-2006, 06:09 PM
I guess that means Belly-lard coming back is out of the question now.

Is Mark Loretta going back to SD, perhaps?

Cuck_The_Fubs
11-08-2006, 06:16 PM
I think the Padres got a pretty good deal, and i still dont know why the Tribe gave up belliard to the cards.

buehrle4cy05
11-08-2006, 06:39 PM
Barfield has been hurt by playing in Petco...any change of scenery to a better hitter's park is good.

Indians have a solid young IF now...Marte, Peralta, and Barfield. Good pickup.

FarWestChicago
11-08-2006, 06:54 PM
Incredible move by Cleveland. They give up a top prospect sure but we all know how dicey those are don't we? Cleveland gets a young kid who seems to have it all...speed, a good bat and range.

San Diego either has another deal on the table or a can't miss second baseman of their own waiting in the wings...if they don't they are incredibly stupid.

LipAre you throwing in the towel, Lip? I believe March was your previous earliest concession speech. Is November of the year before the new standard? :redneck

thedudeabides
11-08-2006, 07:00 PM

Lip

The Padres have been dying for a 3b. I believe Kouzmanoff was the minor league player of the year. I could be wrong. I also thought I heard the Pads have interest in Marcus Giles.

Interesting to see how this one shakes out. I doubt I would have dealt Barfield though.

SoxSpeed22
11-08-2006, 07:09 PM
Good trade, but still doesn't save that nuclear war zone known as their bullpen.

Beautox
11-08-2006, 08:33 PM
Barfield has been hurt by playing in Petco...any change of scenery to a better hitter's park is good.

Indians have a solid young IF now...Marte, Peralta, and Barfield. Good pickup.

Don't forget Garko, hes going to be a thorn in the side of the sox for a long time.

Beautox
11-08-2006, 08:40 PM
Also even though Marte is younger by two years his last 500ABs haven't been all that good, i think Kouzmanoff > Marte. Add to the fact they got Andrew Brown from the tribe, it appears that the padres come out a little ahead. Brown has the potential to become better than Linebrink, seven of his nine outings were scoreless, and he held batters to a .171 average, hes a little bit of a health risk though.

jamokes
11-08-2006, 09:31 PM
The Tribe still needs pitching.

Grzegorz
11-08-2006, 09:44 PM
The Tribe needs pitching but early on it is:

Tribe 1
AL Central 0

(Lots of innings left in this one folks)

FedEx227
11-08-2006, 11:23 PM
The Padres just don't make much sense. I do see where the trade was coming from though. Indians didn't need another stud 3B prospect, they still have Marte and Padres needed a 3B. But they seem to lose every trade they're in, I can't believe they would give up Barfield for two unproven commodities.

Foulke You
11-09-2006, 01:33 AM
I'm thinking that Padres deal has to be a precursor to something else for them. They must have their eye on a FA 2B or are close to landing one in a trade.

DaleJRFan
11-09-2006, 03:24 AM
The Padres just don't make much sense. I do see where the trade was coming from though. Indians didn't need another stud 3B prospect, they still have Marte and Padres needed a 3B. But they seem to lose every trade they're in, I can't believe they would give up Barfield for two unproven commodities.

Traded Xavier Nady for Mike Cameron

Traded Brian Lawrence for Vinny Castilla (whether or not Castilla sucked is irrelevant since Lawrence never pitched of any subsequence for the Nationals and was released the day after the regular season ended).

Traded Mark Loretta for Doug Mirabelli

Traded Doug Mirabelli back to Boston for Josh Bard and Cla Meredith (holy crap)

Traded Akinori Otsuka & Adam Eaton for Adrian Gonzalez, Termel Sledge and Chris Young (again, holy crap!)

Traded Phil Nevin for Chan Ho Park

Looks like they came out pretty good on those deals to me.

You guys all make Josh Barfield sound like Babe Ruth. He hit 280/13/58. This is a dead even swap of young players with big time upside. Plus, San Diego got a pitcher back, too. At least the Sox won't have to face Andrew Brown and his 2 and 2/3rds of scoreless relief (against the Sox in 06) ever again!

This trade shakes out very well for both teams. Now what does Cleveland do?Trade Hector Luna back to STL for... say... Brandon Looper?? So the Sox can tee off against him all next season?? Please?

Grzegorz
11-09-2006, 05:52 AM
Josh Barfield is a solid player with a year of seasoning behind him. He will be a very effective player in this league. The deal will work for both theams if the player the Padres receive play up to their potential.

Right now the Indians have a known commodity with a year of seasoning under his belt and have traded away potential in areas that Indians management feels is a strong point.

The Indians pulled off a very good deal; and the Padres have a good change to benefit too.

Me???

I do not care too much about the Padres but I do care about division rivals. Shapiro and the Indians are not done; they'll go after pitching. They HAVE to go after pitching if they hope to contend.

I am looking for the AL Central to be more competitive in 2007 than it was in 2006.

Beautox
11-09-2006, 06:49 AM
Josh Barfield is a solid player with a year of seasoning behind him. He will be a very effective player in this league. The deal will work for both theams if the player the Padres receive play up to their potential.

Right now the Indians have a known commodity with a year of seasoning under his belt and have traded away potential in areas that Indians management feels is a strong point.

The Indians pulled off a very good deal; and the Padres have a good change to benefit too.

Me???

I do not care too much about the Padres but I do care about division rivals. Shapiro and the Indians are not done; they'll go after pitching. They HAVE to go after pitching if they hope to contend.

I am looking for the AL Central to be more competitive in 2007 than it was in 2006.

I agree, the tribe won't have to worry about platooning Luna and could even deal him since Barfield is an everyday player. Being in that line up, away from Petco and a year of seasoning under his belt hes going to be dangerous.

I wouldn't be supprised if they dealt Blake this offseason and gave Choo RF fulltime, Crowe is destroying the AFL and was moved back to the OF once the tribe realized he was loosing focus at 2B. He should be ML ready by early '07 maybe even opening day if he continues to dominate the AFL(.349AVG.15BB/9SO in 17games/63ABs). Crowe won't challenge Grady for leadoff but i could see him challenging him for CF(yes hes that good) this year; by '08 leadoff is all his and i see Sizemore moving down to the 3 hole.

This is how i see the Indians opening day line up, provided they think Crowe is ready.

CF Sizemore L
2B Barfield R
DH Hafner L
C V-Mart S
1B Garko R
RF Choo L
SS Peralta R
3B Marte R
LF Crowe S

Also i think the Indians will pitch better next year, with the money being saved from not having to pick up a FA or import at 2B they can now spend that money on their BP & SP. I also think by dealing Blake/Luna they can get some established BP parts and solid prospects.

caulfield12
11-09-2006, 09:54 AM
I think someone else should have mentioned that Liriano down equals -1 for the Twins, who will now probably be stuck with The Chief in their rotation again this year...or am I confusing Silva with Padilla?

Kouzmanoff is a lot like Jeremy Reed...great minor league numbers but uncertain major league potential, or maybe Youkilis.

Marte, Peralta, Barfield (adjusting to a new league), Garko (who could just as easily be the next Carlos Pena or Chris Shelton after the league figures him out), Martinez and his running joke of NEVER throwing anyone out, Shoo (definitely a ?), Crowe?

That's a TON of question marks after Sizemore, Hafner and the Martinez (defensively, a huge problem is NOT at 1B). I think I will take the White Sox line-up, and not be too sad to see Blake gone, if they really think Shoo can play everyday.

And I would hardly call the Padres idiots...they've made some nice trades over the last five years, as noted, the Meredith one being one of the most infamous steals from Boy Genius.

We're not going to know anything for sure until Dec. 12 with Pods. Just give it some time.

palehozenychicty
11-09-2006, 10:34 AM

Lip

The word is that they want to get Marcus Giles from the Braves and have the brother combination.

DaleJRFan
11-09-2006, 11:55 AM
The word is that they want to get Marcus Giles from the Braves and have the brother combination.

Might be Soriano, too. The prospect of moving back to 2B might sway him to San Diego instead of Phillie....

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/10277755/detail.html

Jjav829
11-09-2006, 12:06 PM
Surprising move. I was impressed with Barfield this past season. Soriano would be a great addition for the Padres.

There is also a report in The San Diego Union-Tribune that says the Padres thought Kouzmanoff was on the verge of being dealt to the Yankees for Sheffield. The Padres have been rumored to be chasing Sheffield.

This is one of those moves where you have to wait and see what else Towers does before judging the move. If he can sign Soriano or swing a few trades for Giles and Sheffield, this trade could turn out well. The Padres have definitely had issues at 3B in recent years, so I do like the addition of Kouzmanoff.

SOXSINCE'70
11-09-2006, 12:11 PM
Good move by the Tribe,but let's see what KW has up his sleeve.
As sCrUBS entusiast Barry Rozner has mentioned in past weeks,
Williams has been very,very quiet as of late.Could a deal be
in the making?? We'll find out soon.:cool: