PDA

View Full Version : Dye named AL Outstanding Player

Harry Potter
11-08-2006, 02:28 PM
Jermaine Dye of the Chicago White Sox has been named American League Outstanding Player in the 2006 Major League Baseball Players Choice Awards.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20061108&content_id=1736955&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

goon
11-08-2006, 02:40 PM
:cheers: for JD!

BA: The Hitman
11-08-2006, 02:46 PM
Congrats to JD, he definitely deserves it. I'm sure this award is special since it's voted on by the players.

October26
11-08-2006, 04:10 PM
I've been out of town for a bit and just returned to hear this great news.

Congrats, JD! :thumbsup:

DumpJerry
11-08-2006, 04:22 PM
This is better than MVP because it is the peers who did it and not jock wannabe journalists.

goon
11-08-2006, 06:08 PM
Dye, 32, batted .315 (170-539) with career highs of 44 home runs, 120 RBI and a .622 slugging percentage for the White Sox in 2006. He ranked among the AL leaders in home runs (second), slugging percentage (third), total bases (T4th, 335), RBI (fifth), extra-base hits (T5th, 74), average with runners in scoring position (7th, .351) and average (12th).

to have that kind of a season and not win the MVP because your team didn't make the playoffs would suck.

chisoxmike
11-08-2006, 06:18 PM
:supernana:

vernhillssoxfan
11-08-2006, 06:25 PM
This is better than MVP because it is the peers who did it and not jock wannabe journalists.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Congrats Jermaine!:bandance:

I want Mags back
11-08-2006, 06:26 PM

good point there

great for JD, now lets pay the man

SOXSINCE'70
11-08-2006, 10:22 PM
Congrats,JD.You put up great numbers this year.
Of your 43 HR's,the 2 i'll remember are the one
off Papelbon (in a 19 inning White Sox winner)
and the game tying dinger off Joe "Mr.Automatic"
Nathan (sadly,the Sox would lose in 11).:gulp: :gulp:

AnkleSox
11-09-2006, 02:28 AM
In two seasons with the Sox, Dye has batted .295 (315-1,068) with 75 home runs and 206 RBI. He was named Most Valuable Player of the 2005 World Series.

Quite impressive considering his slow start to 2005. Congrats, JD :gulp:

BadBobbyJenks
11-09-2006, 02:51 AM
good point there

great for JD, now lets pay the man

Yeah Im pretty sure most players would take the mvp, No one outside of chicago will look back at 2006 and say remember the al outstanding player of the year? Yea Jermaine Dye Won that!:rolleyes:

And thats not bashing the award, obviously its a great accomplishment and Im glad for JD, but lets knock off the bs of its better than the mvp.

The Critic
11-09-2006, 06:56 AM
Yeah Im pretty sure most players would take the mvp, No one outside of chicago will look back at 2006 and say remember the al outstanding player of the year? Yea Jermaine Dye Won that!:rolleyes:

And thats not bashing the award, obviously its a great accomplishment and Im glad for JD, but lets knock off the bs of its better than the mvp.

The MVP award is better known, so your point about fans recognizing it more is valid and good, but I do think players take awards voted on by their peers more seriously than ones voted on by writers. Many players have contentious relationships with writers, so a "player award" would be seen as more of an honor, I would think.

cbotnyse
11-09-2006, 07:42 AM
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f21/cbotnyse/bang.gif

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f21/cbotnyse/rocksmiley.gif

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f21/cbotnyse/eusa_clap.gif

itsnotrequired
11-09-2006, 07:46 AM
Congrats,JD.You put up great numbers this year.
Of your 43 HR's,the 2 i'll remember are the one
off Papelbon (in a 19 inning White Sox winner)
and the game tying dinger off Joe "Mr.Automatic"
Nathan (sadly,the Sox would lose in 11).:gulp: :gulp:

I'll also remember that monster shot that hit the brick facade of one of the Fundamentals support columns in LF. That ball just kept going.

thegooch
11-09-2006, 09:47 AM
I'll also remember that monster shot that hit the brick facade of one of the Fundamentals support columns in LF. That ball just kept going.

He absolutley crushed that ball. Gotta hand it to Kenny for signing this guy and not wasting the big bucks on Maggs. Man, it paid off bigtime in the WS and just keeps on getting better.

itsnotrequired
11-09-2006, 10:38 AM
He absolutley crushed that ball. Gotta hand it to Kenny for signing this guy and not wasting the big bucks on Maggs. Man, it paid off bigtime in the WS and just keeps on getting better.

I don't think it was the longest of the season but I believe it was in the top 5. Those corner shots always look bigger than center field shots anyway simply because the ball is sailing over people's heads rather than nose-diving into some ivy.

DaleJRFan
11-09-2006, 10:49 AM
I don't think it was the longest of the season but I believe it was in the top 5. Those corner shots always look bigger than center field shots anyway simply because the ball is sailing over people's heads rather than nose-diving into some ivy.

The shot that JD hit to dead center off of Josh Beckett was the longest homerun I have ever seen... What's most impressive about JD's homers are they are absolute line shots and not arching moon shots. He makes massive contact and produces such power with a short swing.

I really hope 07 isn't his last year in town.

Sox83Kid
11-09-2006, 11:22 AM
:dye:

Yea, JD! :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

brewcrew/chisox
11-09-2006, 11:41 AM
The MVP award is better known, so your point about fans recognizing it more is valid and good, but I do think players take awards voted on by their peers more seriously than ones voted on by writers. Many players have contentious relationships with writers, so a "player award" would be seen as more of an honor, I would think.

IIRC, isn't the Golden Glove voted by managers? This award must get the least amount of respect, as it has turned into an absolute joke.

CLR01
11-09-2006, 01:56 PM

You need to hand it to Maggs and Borass for being greedy bastards more than KW. KW offered Maggs the big money contract but thankfully it was turned down.

Myrtle72
11-09-2006, 02:12 PM
:dye:

Yea, JD! :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

Yeah, my thoughts exactly.