PDA

View Full Version : The Meaning of Spring Training

danman31
03-04-2002, 10:38 PM
What do you think about spring training?

PS:If you have any other options for the poll please post them so West can put them on the poll if he is in his usual nice mood.

doublem23
03-04-2002, 11:15 PM
Well, in regards to winning ST games, I think that the first few weeks are kind of meaningless. More or less, they are there so guys get back into the baseball groove.

But the last few weeks are important, IMO, to build some momentum for the season. In 2000, the Sox started ST pretty poorly, but they started to swing the bats at the end of ST and carried that into the season, and, well, the rest is history.

Go Sox!

baggio202
03-04-2002, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by danman31
What do you think about spring training?

PS:If you have any other options for the poll please post them so West can put them on the poll if he is in his usual nice mood.

i think it depends on the team and the player...on this team i think our pitching needs to establish itself..so if we have a bunch 10 run games all spring long id be worried...

main thing out of spring training..no injuries and have everyone ready to go come april 1st..one thing about the sox....if we start slow and have a losing record in may..rumors in the paper are gonna start swirling about when durham, valentin,clayton will be traded in a white flag trade...that will always be an albatross around the enck of the sox.."sox are 3 games under..6 back..when is the white flag going up"???..so for the white sox its always important to kick ass coming out of the gate...

LongDistanceFan
03-04-2002, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by baggio202

i think it depends on the team and the player...on this team i think our pitching needs to establish itself..so if we have a bunch 10 run games all spring long id be worried...

main thing out of spring training..no injuries and have everyone ready to go come april 1st..one thing about the sox....if we start slow and have a losing record in may..rumors in the paper are gonna start swirling about when durham, valentin,clayton will be traded in a white flag trade...that will always be an albatross around the enck of the sox.."sox are 3 games under..6 back..when is the white flag going up"???..so for the white sox its always important to kick ass coming out of the gate... for me........ this is too hard........ its a variety of all.....

foulkesfan11
03-05-2002, 09:47 AM
I think that Spring Training games do not help decide the roster as much as they should. The young guys are always invited, however Crede could hit .400 and they'd still pick Valentin & Clayton over him. Clayton whould be benched permanently!

Iwritecode
03-05-2002, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by foulkesfan11
I think that Spring Training games do not help decide the roster as much as they should. The young guys are always invited, however Crede could hit .400 and they'd still pick Valentin & Clayton over him. Clayton whould be benched permanently!

That is a good point about ST being biased more towards "established veterans". Unless an injury happens, a guy completely sucks or there happens to be an open roster spot, the younger guys really don't have an equal shot at making the 25-man roster. They take the vets because they can't really send them down to the minors. (Unless your name is Sean Lowe and you want to send a "message" to the team...) It's nice for young guys to be up and playing with and against the veterans but you still have to remember that most of the vets really aren't going to go 100% until opening day. They spend most of ST getting loose and working on their stuff. I guess that's the best thing about ST is to get the guys prepared for the regular season. The wins and stats don't mean too much because they are skewed based on the talent and effort of the opposing team and the team around you. Example: some of the runs and hits that I have read about come on errors that probably wouldn't happen in the regular season or the fact that the pitcher isn't quite major-league ready yet. The last week or so of ST gets a little more important but still not as much as the regular season.

baggio202
03-05-2002, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by foulkesfan11

i think julio ramirez permantely put every rookie behind the 8 ball as long as manuel is here :)...i mean no matter what a guy hits..someone will say..yeah but remember julio???

Dadawg_77
03-05-2002, 07:33 PM
Timing....That is what is gained by spring training. Batter get the timing on the swing down, pitchers get the timing of thier release down, double combos work on the timing of turning two. That is a big thing about Spring Training is to get your timing down so you can play at full speed during April