PDA

View Full Version : Hey Guys, look at this!

Viva Magglio
03-04-2002, 07:13 PM
Someone posted this on the Ramblermania.com message board. Quite a read, isn't it? I can't wait to see your responses!

This will fuel flaming (http://user.mc.net/~bmcandre/)

baggio202
03-04-2002, 07:23 PM
if he wanted to be fair he would compare positive to negative spin stories and not just the size of the article but tje location...how many times are the cubs on page 1 of the trib sports section but the sox on page 3???...

but it really doesnt matter much to me personally....the only local paper i read is the southtown..which is geared more to the sox...

RKMeibalane
03-04-2002, 07:54 PM
Whoever this is needs to get a life- NOW! I really don't see the point in actually going through the paper just to see who gets more inches of writing. When are people going to realize that Sox fans aren't concerned with the quantity of coverage their team is receiving, but the quality.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-04-2002, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Someone posted this on the Ramblermania.com message board. Quite a read, isn't it? I can't wait to see your responses!

This will fuel flaming (http://user.mc.net/~bmcandre/)

Well, for the sake of Loyola's academic reputation, I hope the guy who wrote this isn't a student there. The question of bias has little to do with column inches, but CONTENT. For example, yesterday's Tribune had a front page sports feature on Wilt Chamberlain's 100 point game. They had a poll asking fans to vote what was the greatest feat ever in sports history. One of the choices was Kerry Wood's strikeout game against Houston!

Imagine, comparing Morning Wood's accomplishment with Bob Beamon breaking the world long jump record by nearly 2 feet. LMAO!

Deep thinking isn't the Tribune's strong suit. It was their publisher Colonel McCormick who coined the term "world's greatest newspaper" and tried proving the point by weighing the Sunday edition on a scale next to other city's "skimpy" papers!

So by McCormick's reckoning, and now this idiot's too, the Chicago phone directory is one of the greatest publications of all-time.

That's how A.J. Liebling coined the term Second City. It had nothing to do with Chicago's size, but the city's dim-witted thinking. And we all know who the #1 voice of Chicago is. They can't run a baseball club, either

I swear, I can't make this stuff up.

:gulp:

kermittheefrog
03-04-2002, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Well, for the sake of Loyola's academic reputation, I hope the guy who wrote this isn't a student there. The question of bias has little to do with column inches, but CONTENT. For example, yesterday's Tribune had a front page sports feature on Wilt Chamberlain's 100 point game. They had a poll asking fans to vote what was the greatest feat ever in sports history. One of the choices was Kerry Wood's strikeout game against Houston!

Imagine, comparing Morning Wood's accomplishment with Bob Beamon breaking the world long jump record by nearly 2 feet. LMAO!

Deep thinking isn't the Tribune's strong suit. It was their publisher Colonel McCormick who coined the term "world's greatest newspaper" and tried proving the point by weighing the Sunday edition on a scale next to other city's "skimpy" papers!

So by McCormick's reckoning, and now this idiot's too, the Chicago phone directory is one of the greatest publications of all-time.

That's how A.J. Liebling coined the term Second City. It had nothing to do with Chicago's size, but the city's dim-witted thinking. And we all know who the #1 voice of Chicago is. They can't run a baseball club, either

I swear, I can't make this stuff up.

:gulp:

Ya know George I agree the media is biased as all hell but that game really does have a good arguement as the greatest game ever pitched.

FarWestChicago
03-05-2002, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

Ya know George I agree the media is biased as all hell but that game really does have a good arguement as the greatest game ever pitched. Yeah, but if you want to compare it to Bob Beamon, you need to do something remarkable. Beamon pulled out a jump from 20 some years in the future. Hell, there are still only a couple of guys who have gone that far. Morning Wood would have needed to shatter the strike out record, not tie it.

VeeckAsInWreck
03-05-2002, 02:09 AM
Someone get this genius his selective memory pills please!
he makes a side note about da SOX not trading for Schilling because we didn't want to give up "Future Hall Of Famers".
HELLO! explain to the rest of us how picking up Delino Deshields won you guys a playoff spot during your run?
Then he asks where's Scott Ruffcorn?
Yeah, well I got a question for you where's Gary Scott?.
Yes, the same Gary Scott who was supposed to make everyone forget this guy
:santo
"Hey Remember Me? Where can I buy one shoe?"
:o: did I say that out loud?

Kilroy
03-05-2002, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck
Someone get this genius his selective memory pills please!
he makes a side note about da SOX not trading for Schilling because we didn't want to give up "Future Hall Of Famers".

That really had less to do with it than the fact that Schilling said that he'd rather cut off his own sac than play for Reinsdorf. Figures a Cub fan would get the facts wrong.

Kilroy
03-05-2002, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by baggio202
if he wanted to be fair he would compare positive to negative spin stories and not just the size of the article but tje location...how many times are the cubs on page 1 of the trib sports section but the sox on page 3???...

To be somewhat fair to the guy, he did say "I will provide a quantitative factor (number of inches) as well as a qualitative measure by stating the general tone of the article."

But I suspect that his bias will skew his measure. Already on his first day, he doesn't have a ruler. Hello? The whole point of the exercise is to measure print space. On the first day you don't have a ruler, but to you, the biased Cub fan who already stated that he didn't think the Sox got unfair coverage, they (amount of print space for Cubs and Sox articles) appear to be equal. We should just take your word for it, right?

And placement is a huge factor in newspaper coverage. Top of the page vs bottom, page 1 vs page 5, and size of headline print.
I wish I had a dollar for every time the Cubs were on the front page losing while the Sox were on page 3 winning. Yet, there's no bias. Please.

irish rover
03-05-2002, 08:31 AM
is there a way to find an email address for this knob

Iwritecode
03-05-2002, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by irish rover
is there a way to find an email address for this knob

Check this out, he posts on the troll board.

Just click on his name to email him. (http://boards.go.com/cgi/mlb/request.dll?MESSAGE&room=mlb_chw&id=116610)

FarWestChicago
03-05-2002, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

Check this out, he posts on the troll board.LOL!! That dumbass troll is determined to publicy make an ass out of himself, no matter what. At least you guys can have some fun with him now without polluting WSI. :smile:

And there is something cosmically "right" about a troll posting on The Troll Board. :D:

DrCrawdad
03-05-2002, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
To be somewhat fair to the guy, he did say "I will provide a quantitative factor (number of inches) as well as a qualitative measure by stating the general tone of the article."

But I suspect that his bias will skew his measure. Already on his first day, he doesn't have a ruler. Hello? The whole point of the exercise is to measure print space. On the first day you don't have a ruler, but to you, the biased Cub fan who already stated that he didn't think the Sox got unfair coverage, they (amount of print space for Cubs and Sox articles) appear to be equal. We should just take your word for it, right?

The guy pulled the ruler out, measured a few things, got embarassed and disappointed with his lack of self then sheepishly put the ruler away.