PDA

View Full Version : What is baseball?

BeeBeeRichard
11-05-2006, 06:18 PM
If you met someone from Kazakhstan or Mars or Middle Earth, how would you describe the national pastime? Would you wax poetic? Would you explain its rules? Would you speak from a fan's perspective or a participant's view? Would you share a particular anecdote that illustrates the sport? Would you talk about the game's history?

Bottom line ... How would you answer the question, "What is baseball?"

HotelWhiteSox
11-05-2006, 07:39 PM
It is similar to your sport 'shooting' where you take a dog, shoot them in a field, and then have a party

DumpJerry
11-05-2006, 10:57 PM
I once had this situation arise with a woman from Sweden. I drew a field on a napkin and explained the rules.

This year I took a Ukrainian friend to a Sox game who knew 0% about the sport. After showing her the field and told her the different parts (bases, infield, outfield, etc.), I told her she now knew more about baseball than most Cub fans.

Fenway
11-05-2006, 11:45 PM
I would play them the Bob Newhart routine when he ponders how Abner Doubleday would sell baseball. An absoulte classic.

The Critic
11-06-2006, 01:02 AM
I would tell them it's pretty much like soccer except you kind of HAVE to touch the ball with your hands, there's a bat and bases involved, the scoring is completely different, there's no "stoppage time" (or timekeeping of any kind, really), no draws, no big nets at both ends of the field, no shorts (except for a VERY bad idea in the mid-70s), and kicking the ball is a bad idea.
Other than that, pretty much just like soccer....

:D:

itsnotrequired
11-06-2006, 01:26 PM
I would start out with a discussion of the infield fly rule, the double switch and the current CBA. All the other pieces should fall into place...

Fenway
11-06-2006, 02:10 PM
This is the Bob Newhart routine where Abner Doubleday is trying to explain baseball :tongue:

http://play.rhapsody.com/bobnewhart/thebuttondownmindofbobnewhart/nobodywilleverplaybaseball?didAutoplayBounce=true

DumpJerry
11-06-2006, 02:16 PM
I would tell them it's pretty much like soccer except you kind of HAVE to touch the ball with your hands, there's a bat and bases involved, the scoring is completely different, there's no "stoppage time" (or timekeeping of any kind, really), no draws, no big nets at both ends of the field, no shorts (except for a VERY bad idea in the mid-70s), and kicking the ball is a bad idea.
Other than that, pretty much just like soccer....

:D:

Actually Cricket is where I start with someone from Europe. Since I know very little about Cricket, I just say it is similar.

I would start out with a discussion of the infield fly rule, the double switch and the current CBA. All the other pieces should fall into place...
If they show a complete understanding right away, run!

I want Mags back
11-06-2006, 04:39 PM
this thread reminds me of my favorite line from
everybody loves raymond

Debra's father: You see in some countries, football is soccer

Frank: In some countries, people eat cats, now put the game on

FedEx227
11-06-2006, 10:26 PM

Might want to dip into VORP and ERA+ a bit and let them decide if they are going to be a purist or a stat-head. :tongue:

Foulke You
11-09-2006, 12:28 AM
I never realized how difficult it is to explain the game of baseball to someone who knows nothing about it until I sat next to an English businessman at a Sox game who just landed at O'hare a few hours earlier and took the train to the game so he could stay awake and get used to the time change. He bought a ticket that just so happened to be next to ol' Foulke You so I felt it was my duty to educate him (and keep him awake):D: . The only thing he knew about the game was that there was a team called the Yankees and that hitting a home run was good (although he didn't know exactly what a home run was).

I found myself explaining a TON of different things throughout the game. Outs, balls, strikes, errors, bullpens, double plays, doubles, triples, bunts, sacrifices, foul balls, the dimensions of ballparks, top and bottom of innings, the lack of a time clock, curves, fastballs, sliders, I had explained all of these and more to him. You don't realize how many nuances the game has until you have to explain it to someone from a foreign country. By the end of the game, he had a basic understanding of what was happening, he ate a Kosher dog with onions, saw a White Sox winner, and he even bought a Sox hat to take back as a souvenir.:cool: It was definitely a rewarding experience to be able to introduce someone to the great game of baseball and have them enjoy it.

FedEx227
11-09-2006, 01:11 PM
I never realized how difficult it is to explain the game of baseball to someone who knows nothing about it until I sat next to an English businessman at a Sox game who just landed at O'hare a few hours earlier and took the train to the game so he could stay awake and get used to the time change. He bought a ticket that just so happened to be next to ol' Foulke You so I felt it was my duty to educate him (and keep him awake):D: . The only thing he knew about the game was that there was a team called the Yankees and that hitting a home run was good (although he didn't know exactly what a home run was).

I found myself explaining a TON of different things throughout the game. Outs, balls, strikes, errors, bullpens, double plays, doubles, triples, bunts, sacrifices, foul balls, the dimensions of ballparks, top and bottom of innings, the lack of a time clock, curves, fastballs, sliders, I had explained all of these and more to him. You don't realize how many nuances the game has until you have to explain it to someone from a foreign country. By the end of the game, he had a basic understanding of what was happening, he ate a Kosher dog with onions, saw a White Sox winner, and he even bought a Sox hat to take back as a souvenir.:cool: It was definitely a rewarding experience to be able to introduce someone to the great game of baseball and have them enjoy it.

Are you saying somebody from out-of-town when to a Sox game?! Not a Cubs game.

Blasphemy!!

tony1972
11-09-2006, 02:27 PM
If you met someone from Kazakhstan or Mars or Middle Earth, how would you describe the national pastime? Would you wax poetic? Would you explain its rules? Would you speak from a fan's perspective or a participant's view? Would you share a particular anecdote that illustrates the sport? Would you talk about the game's history?

Bottom line ... How would you answer the question, "What is baseball?"
I'd take them to a game and definitely wax poetic..to me baseball is so much more than just a bunch of rules and a game...I have been to other sporting events such as basketball games, football, soccer, etc..but there is something baseball has that those other teams are missing..something intangible..

It's part of our history..part of our summer days and nights..for me..part of our childhoods and part of some of the happiest moments of our lives and our most disappointing and bitter moments, too....

Baseball is simply a game with rules much like other games..but there is something magical about the sport...

TomBradley72
11-10-2006, 05:10 PM
I would explain the importance of green seats, how Tom Paciorek might be returning as our announcer, and Aaron Rowand might be coming back as our centerfielder.